JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Scarlet Pimpernell "What you are saying is that if it was a Labour government giving itself additional powers to run people’s lives you would not accept it because the Conservatives appear to be doing exactly that. They have in the time since Johnson was elected severely limited public freedoms and also restricted debate despite the promise the parliament would regain its sovereignty. We are now closer to any totalitarian state in our history. I wonder when the pandemic is over which it will eventually be despite this government’s many failures how many of these new laws will be rescinded.'"

You know like everyone else these are temporary measures in an extreme situation.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Sal Paradise "You know like everyone else these are temporary measures in an extreme situation.'"

How do you think the talks are going, Sa and what happens to the Irish Border in a "no deal" scenario.
One of the major issues right at the outset, 4 years later, oven ready deal and not a step closer to a sensible resolution.

Assuming that there isn't a comprehensive FTA sorted and it looks less likely at the moment, just what do you think will happen with cross border trade ?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "How do you think the talks are going, Sa and what happens to the Irish Border in a "no deal" scenario.
One of the major issues right at the outset, 4 years later, oven ready deal and not a step closer to a sensible resolution.

Assuming that there isn't a comprehensive FTA sorted and it looks less likely at the moment, just what do you think will happen with cross border trade ?'"

The talks are going as well as you would expect - probably not as you expected? You probably thought that we would roll over and agree to anything to get a free trade deal - I suspect so did the EU.

State aid - get real - nobody worse than the Germans for state intervention e.g. Lufthansa!! I don't know how they have the cheek to demand as an independent state we cow down to them.

On Ireland its simple - just ensure any product that goes into the EU meets their standards and the local standards authority deal with an breaches as is the case with product that comes here from outside of the EU - we seem to want to make things more difficult than they need to be.

On fishing - I would concede as part of the deal and move on

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Sal Paradise "The talks are going as well as you would expect - probably not as you expected? You probably thought that we would roll over and agree to anything to get a free trade deal - I suspect so did the EU.

State aid - get real - nobody worse than the Germans for state intervention e.g. Lufthansa!! I don't know how they have the cheek to demand as an independent state we cow down to them.

On Ireland its simple - just ensure any product that goes into the EU meets their standards and the local standards authority deal with an breaches as is the case with product that comes here from outside of the EU - we seem to want to make things more difficult than they need to be.

On fishing - I would concede as part of the deal and move on'"

I dont/didn't want us to roll over at all.
Having been told so damn often just how easy it would be to get a free trade agreement with the EU and that the issues surrounding the Irish Border would be solved, it seemed reasonable to expect that this would indeed be the outcome.

Sadly, it just doesn't look to be the case (although to some of us, it never did).

Right from the outset we (the voting public) were sold a pup and in 3 years plus since the referendum NOTHING has changed.
If I was part of the EU side, who have way more to gain from this than the UK, I would sit tight.

Let's face it, they have lost the UK's contributions and their economy dwarfs that of the UK
Just think how you may feel when/if Scotland goes it alone, you certainly wouldn't want / expect England to concede too much ground in the negotiations and the current situation is similar.

Those on the right of the Tory party have done a fantastic job d040.gif

The "frictionless trade" promised so often is just another myth.
The likelihood of tariffs and additional cost for importing from the EU is certainly real, even in my own business there are costs already racking up, trying to prepare for what may come and to not know what we need in just 12/14 weeks time is bloody scandalous.
But, what the hell, it's only money.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12642
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33809.png

I see the Government have decided their own withdrawal agreement is rubbish.

I wonder what they’ll do when they work out that breaking international law is a rubbish solution.

It may be stupid, but at least it is our own British stupidity... I suppose. Yay.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5219
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Whatever happens it’s Boris and his government’s stupidity but sadly it is all of us that will have to pay.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Mild Rover "I see the Government have decided their own withdrawal agreement is rubbish.

I wonder what they’ll do when they work out that breaking international law is a rubbish solution.

It may be stupid, but at least it is our own British stupidity... I suppose. Yay.'"

All they have done is react to the EU threatening to ban all UK exports of food to Northern Ireland - that is the culture of the EU - if they don't get their own way they want to play stupid games - Frost is way to tough for Barnier. Let's just draw a line a line under it and move on accept the talks are going nowhere and get on preparing for WTO terms in January.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Sal Paradise "All they have done is react to the EU threatening to ban all UK exports of food to Northern Ireland - that is the culture of the EU - if they don't get their own way they want to play stupid games - Frost is way to tough for Barnier. Let's just draw a line a line under it and move on accept the talks are going nowhere and get on preparing for WTO terms in January.'"

For all of our sakes, we'd be better off agreeing to disagree and at least having 14 weeks to set things up to run with WTO terms, apart from 14 week just isn't long enough to have everything in place.
It's certainly going to get interesting and not necessarily in a good way.

As for Barnier and Frost, you are kidding - right ?
Frost looked like the new kid at school, following one of the "bigger boys" round.so that he didn't get lost.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3092No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22575.gif
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs.":22575.gif

Quote: Sal Paradise "All they have done is react to the EU threatening to ban all UK exports of food to Northern Ireland - that is the culture of the EU - if they don't get their own way they want to play stupid games - Frost is way to tough for Barnier. Let's just draw a line a line under it and move on accept the talks are going nowhere and get on preparing for WTO terms in January.'"
Looking forward to those multi mile long lines of lorries queuing through the Kent countryside and sheep farmers going out of business because there isn't any WTO quota available for them under the rules we've decided to adopt.

I think some of these Brexit jokers think WTO is actually some sort of free trade basis, but then research and facts aren't their fortes.

But what tariffs are they proposing to apply? Zero tariffs and a free trade Nirvana? Remember what we apply to the EU we have we apply to the rest of the world, China included, so zero tariffs would flood the UK with imports and destroy domestic sectors.
"Punish" the EU for not folding to your ridiculous demands? Again you'd need to apply those to almost everyone so either shortages or inflation would be the enemy there.
Still I'm sure it's all been carefully thought through.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12642
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33809.png

I'm pretty sure that didn't happen.

Whatever we choose, there are consequences to deal with - and Johnson is apparently unwilling to do that. Tbf, his lies are catching up with him, so I can understand his reluctance. And if he tried, one or more of the of the groups that put their trust in him will be (metaphorically) out for his blood. He's running out of time and lies to tell very rapidly now.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3092No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22575.gif
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs.":22575.gif

Quote: Mild Rover "I'm pretty sure that didn't happen.

Whatever we choose, there are consequences to deal with - and Johnson is apparently unwilling to do that. Tbf, his lies are catching up with him, so I can understand his reluctance. And if he tried, one or more of the of the groups that put their trust in him will be (metaphorically) out for his blood. He's running out of time and lies to tell very rapidly now.'"

It's laughable really. We were told what a strong position we'd be in in these negotiations. How on earth does that square with the EU being able to "bully" us in the first place?

The reality is the EU set out their red lines very clearly, very early on. And, as they stick to them, and as we find that there is no cake and eat it solution to keeping the vast benefits of EU membership, the people who've been lying for the past 5 years are finding that everything they portrayed as Project Fear is gradually coming true. Now they're starting to throw their toys out of the pram because those nasty Europeans won't let us keep the all the things they've suddenly realised we actually need after all.

Utterly lacking in self awareness, utterly refusing to take any responsibility for the mess they've made and the damage they've done to our country.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: The Ghost of '99 "Looking forward to those multi mile long lines of lorries queuing through the Kent countryside and sheep farmers going out of business because there isn't any WTO quota available for them under the rules we've decided to adopt.

I think some of these Brexit jokers think WTO is actually some sort of free trade basis, but then research and facts aren't their fortes.

But what tariffs are they proposing to apply? Zero tariffs and a free trade Nirvana? Remember what we apply to the EU we have we apply to the rest of the world, China included, so zero tariffs would flood the UK with imports and destroy domestic sectors.
"Punish" the EU for not folding to your ridiculous demands? Again you'd need to apply those to almost everyone so either shortages or inflation would be the enemy there.
Still I'm sure it's all been carefully thought through.'"

Do we not trade with the likes of China on WTO terms? Who has said anything about zero tariffs?

Nobody is saying punish the EU - surely the view was trade talks would undertaken in the spirit of finding a workable solution - can you genuinely say the EU has tried to be constructive? Your view is we just concede everything to get a free trade deal i.e. in the EU - fortunately that ship has sailed.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: wrencat1873 "For all of our sakes, we'd be better off agreeing to disagree and at least having 14 weeks to set things up to run with WTO terms, apart from 14 week just isn't long enough to have everything in place.
It's certainly going to get interesting and not necessarily in a good way.

As for Barnier and Frost, you are kidding - right ?
Frost looked like the new kid at school, following one of the "bigger boys" round.so that he didn't get lost.'"

So why are the EU looking to replace Barnier if he is doing such a great job!!

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7770
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock "I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count" [quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote] Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!" I thanked him and went on my Merry way! RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015! "The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth." Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Mild Rover "I see the Government have decided their own withdrawal agreement is rubbish.

It may be stupid, but at least it is our own British stupidity... I suppose. Yay.'"

Am I right in saying there was a big stink about the MP's who wanted time to ratify the agreement, and they were told to just vote for it and get on with it?
Or was that a different agreement that was rushed through?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3092No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22575.gif

Quote: Sal Paradise "Do we not trade with the likes of China on WTO terms? Who has said anything about zero tariffs?'"
Yes we do. So we just apply the same tariffs as we do on Chinese imports to European ones. Simple! Until you realise what that actually means!

Quote: Sal Paradise "Nobody is saying punish the EU - surely the view was trade talks would undertaken in the spirit of finding a workable solution - can you genuinely say the EU has tried to be constructive? .'"

Yes, anyone who isn't fed by a drip of right wing propaganda knows they have. There are a bunch on off the shelf solutions, Norway, Switzerland, even Canada etc, so we've seen what sort of things we can achieve given what the EU countries will accept. They've actually offered movement in quite a few areas that would be better than these.

But the British continue to demand things which simply can't be offered. That's not a failing to be constructive, it's just fact as to what the community's red lines are and what will be vetoed by any particular country. And the interests of the Republic of Ireland are given an outsize importance given how things will impact them.

But yes, obviously they hold the whip hand in these negotiations so any deal we get isn't exactly going to be particularly favourable given the relative power dynamics. Like us they are looking after their own interests first. But this has been made clear all along and shouldn't come as some surprise to you.

231 posts in 16 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
231 posts in 16 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.49072265625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Recruitment rumours and links
Captain Hook
14m
Grand final Tickets
muttywhitedo
14m