FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wakefield Trinity > Totally off topic but........
299 posts in 21 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member10458
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2597_1613407166.jpg
This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me. WTRLC 2012 to 2014 "The wasted years" Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys" 2013, 2014 & 2015 2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's right foot. 2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 2019 - The return of the Prodigal Son. 2020 - Keeping the faith.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2597.jpg

Quote: captaincaveman "The EU has its own plan for its future. An ever closer union to create an effective one nation of europe, and a single currency in the euro. All the main players are signed up to the plan.

We are not taken seriously by the EU because we are not signed up to the plan, despite the huge amount of money coming from this country.

In reality this is not an In or Out referendum, more of an Out or continue to hang off the side of the EU.

The options really should be

IN and sign up fully to the plan and actually get some power within the EU

OUT and go it alone.

But not

REMAIN ie. Limp along in the no mans land as we do now.'"

For a German your English is very good.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: The Avenger "Britain saw a near 34% rise in exports to India, 31.2% to South Africa, 30% to Australia, 18.3% to Canada in the last 2 years alone.
The Commonwealth contains at least seven of the fastest-growing global Countries/economies.

In an ideal world we'd be able to trade with both and as you say we possibly could if we remain in the EU and the EU strikes a trade agreement with the Commonwealth. Unfortunately as with most things EU it won't be an agreement that suits the UK but rather it will suit France & Germany etc. and we'll have to accept the terms whatever they may be.

Beyond that the TTIP agreement will further marginalise our interests.

We have the 5th largest economy in the world and there are enough trade partners out there for us to negotiate our own deals. We don't need to be part of the EU which isn't the utopia the ins are portraying it to be, it's failing and shrinking.

Furthermore, I'm unsure whether Westminster knows how to govern Yorkshire, they certainly don't represent me or my interests, so I'm bloody well sure that being governed more and more by Brussels isn't what I want or need. I certainly don't want to see our sovereignty pick pocketed away by self serving Eurocrats and corrupt politicians who are making decisions based on hew best to feather their own post political career nests.'"

Whilst your post regarding some of the fastest growing economies being in the commonwealth is an interesting headline.
Most of these places are "developing" economies and of course they have faster growth than the more developed Euro nations.
It's utter nonsense to suggest that we can suddenly replace our trade partners with the likes of Burma, Mozambique, Tanzania etc
Of the fastest growing economies in the world, at the moment, only China and India are "big" players.
Many people suggest that Africa will be the next big market to open up and the large conglomerates are already "helping" some of these nations, you know, giving them cash to buy favour (typical hallmarks of capitalism), even the Chinese are investing there, so they can get ahead and have first shout for cheaper raw materials.

What I would like someone in favour of exiting the Eurozone to do, is to first of all explain what our, relationship is likely to be with our present trading partners in Europe and be honest about the costs of setting up trade agreements with them and then be equally honest about the benefits of setting up unilateral deals with say India & China.

The tariffs that are currently applied to these nation's, which were set up to protect Europe from these countries "dumping" cheap product over here are not perfect by any means but, it would be naive in the extreme to think that Britain could lose (or reduce) these tariffs and supply freely to our nearest large market (Europe).
Can you really see that being allowed to happen ?

It could possibly allow us to trade further a field but, is this really a winning situation.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1253
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46371.jpg
:46371.jpg

Quote: Wollo-Wollo-Wollo-Wayoo "For a German your English is very good.'"

Danke icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2217
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19733_1343563234.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_19733.jpg

Quote: Bigboff "Yes ,children will be cleaning chimneys out,working pregnant women sacked and the minimum wage abolished.

There is one reason and one reason only I'm out,the fear of East European bricklayers walking on site willing to work for half the wage I earn.
Yes ,it's a small minded "Im all right jack attitude " in the bigger picture ,but that's life.
I suppose it doesn't matter anyway,because all building will cease if we leave because of the recession'"

It's small minded and "I'm all right jack attitude" (generally a racist scum bag) when the little guys stick up for his or her standard of living. This of course is through the eyes of the perceived morally and intellectual superiors. When a high earning government employee (or some kind of client of the state) does it it's a noble battle in protection of services against Evil Tory cuts. The reality is both cases people are just trying to protect their own pocket. The only difference is the latter think it has the right to tell the former what is good for them. Sneers and snobbery are the words that come to mind.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2217
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19733_1343563234.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "The irony of your situation is that, without the population growth (largely from European migrants), there would be no house building going on.
The massive shortage in housing in due to population growth and of course, the lack of social housing due, to the council house sell off and lack of and meaningful replacement housing being built.'"

So population growth through immigration is official Government policy?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2217
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19733_1343563234.jpg

Quote: King Street Cat "The last time I looked at this thread was on my mobile which doesn't have the ad blocker installed. Ironically there was a sponsored advert for the EU referendum from Richard Branson asking us to vote IN. Thanks for that multi-billionaire Richard, you're really on my level and I feel totally connected with you while you send emails from your own private island.

If us minions are going to be told how to vote, please don't take the loving mickey out of us!

Both sides are guilty of not telling the truth but I get the feeling the IN crowd have way more to lose than anyone else and they couldn't give a poop about the rest of us so long as they get the result that's best for them.'"

Branson is just another one of the global business and financial elite, what's is the interest for them most certainly isn't in the interest of the average Brit. I only hope the voters can put that connection in their heads on election day.

A political idealogical battle is been played out between continuing Globalisation and reducing the effectiveness of national Democracy. So far it's one way and if it goes too far it will end in tears. Without the right to hold to account your politicians they have no reason what so ever to do what is best for the people. The EU will treat the the UK people as nothing more than a tax farm to redistribute. Three major crisis are playing out at the moment and imo we have yet to see no way near the worst of the effects. The Southern EU debt crisis ( to a lesser effect our down debt problems), biggest mass migration of people in history and the quest to make Turkey a member of the EU. What these showdowns play out the people I want representing me are people that I can hold to account. Who can hold an unelected suite in Brussels to account? these politicians have no real check and balances on themselves. It's all about democracy for me and I think a lot of voters under-valuing our democracy.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: deeHell "So population growth through immigration is official Government policy?'"

I think that the government has been quite happy to see a certain level of population increase and yes, this help our GDP to increase.
However, it also puts a strain on infrastructure and services (especially at a time when there have been severe austerity cuts but, no, I don't think that it has been deliberate government policy.

RankPostsTeam
International Star15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50722.jpg

Quote: deeHell "Branson is just another one of the global business and financial elite'"

Without whom there would be no jobs for working class heroes to nobly toil at whilst being downtrodden and abused...

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1080No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: deeHell "Branson is just another one of the global business and financial elite, what's is the interest for them most certainly isn't in the interest of the average Brit. I only hope the voters can put that connection in their heads on election day.

A political idealogical battle is been played out between continuing Globalisation and reducing the effectiveness of national Democracy. So far it's one way and if it goes too far it will end in tears. Without the right to hold to account your politicians they have no reason what so ever to do what is best for the people. The EU will treat the the UK people as nothing more than a tax farm to redistribute. Three major crisis are playing out at the moment and imo we have yet to see no way near the worst of the effects. The Southern EU debt crisis ( to a lesser effect our down debt problems), biggest mass migration of people in history and the quest to make Turkey a member of the EU. What these showdowns play out the people I want representing me are people that I can hold to account. Who can hold an unelected suite in Brussels to account? these politicians have no real check and balances on themselves. It's all about democracy for me and I think a lot of voters under-valuing our democracy.'"

You've actually hit the nail on the head regarding globalisation. The problem is that it's happening and it's going to happen even more. I personally hate some aspects of globalisation but I can't pick and choose between the bits I like and those I don't like and trying to stop it is like Canute trying to hold back the tide (he knew he couldn't do it). Migration is another facet of globalisation. Again, we won't be able to stop it (without ever more draconian measures and militaristic security - not the kind of country I want to live in). The EU cocked up badly with the refugee issue but Britain on its own won't be able to stop people entering the country any more than it can now. The world's changed and Britain's changed - we can't go back to the old days before the EU, safe, familiar and comfy as it may seem from 2016 (it wasn't by the way) - and, in my opinion, you don't solve global issues like trade, the environment, terrorism, animal welfare, migration etc on your own. You can only solve them by having influence and you have influence by being in the EU, at the heart of it, helping to decide the direction it goes in. The EU isn't undemocratic. It's ponderous and bureaucratic and needs changing in many respects but it's not undemocratic. And, as regards Turkey - they simply will not get in the EU any time soon and they will NEVER get in if just one member state vetoes the decision. Turkey is not an issue.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2217
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19733_1343563234.jpg

Quote: bren2k "Without whom there would be no jobs for working class heroes to nobly toil at whilst being downtrodden and abused...'"

A bit of a misrepresentation of Branson's achievements I think. Democratic accountability must be a bad thing in your world.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2217
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19733_1343563234.jpg

Quote: Kevs Head "You've actually hit the nail on the head regarding globalisation. The problem is that it's happening and it's going to happen even more. I personally hate some aspects of globalisation but I can't pick and choose between the bits I like and those I don't like and trying to stop it is like Canute trying to hold back the tide (he knew he couldn't do it). Migration is another facet of globalisation. Again, we won't be able to stop it (without ever more draconian measures and militaristic security - not the kind of country I want to live in). The EU cocked up badly with the refugee issue but Britain on its own won't be able to stop people entering the country any more than it can now. The world's changed and Britain's changed - we can't go back to the old days before the EU, safe, familiar and comfy as it may seem from 2016 (it wasn't by the way) - and, in my opinion, you don't solve global issues like trade, the environment, terrorism, animal welfare, migration etc on your own. You can only solve them by having influence and you have influence by being in the EU, at the heart of it, helping to decide the direction it goes in. The EU isn't undemocratic. It's ponderous and bureaucratic and needs changing in many respects but it's not undemocratic. And, as regards Turkey - they simply will not get in the EU any time soon and they will NEVER get in if just one member state vetoes the decision. Turkey is not an issue.'"

Who votes the EU commission into power who sets the agenda and whose interest do they act? I certainly don't remember giving them a mandate. I understand that Cyprus and Greece would veto Turkeys but whats to stop the EU giving them associate membership with full benefits? Nothing at all without the democratic means to remove them. They have no need to consider what the vast majority of the continent want, democracy is an hurdle to these bureaucrats. Without democracy all you have is violence as a means of political expression and with a treat of that come a oppressive form of government. 1984 comes to mind.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1080No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The Commission is unelected but it doesn't make laws. Elected MEPs consider the Commission,s recommendations and vote accordingly. Turkey has to satisfy something like 30 conditions for entry. So far, after 10 years negotiation, they've satisfied precisely one! It's not going to happen soon. And, do you think the UK would vote to admit Turkey?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2217
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19733_1343563234.jpg

Quote: Kevs Head "The Commission is unelected but it doesn't make laws. Elected MEPs consider the Commission,s recommendations and vote accordingly. Turkey has to satisfy something like 30 conditions for entry. So far, after 10 years negotiation, they've satisfied precisely one! It's not going to happen soon. And, do you think the UK would vote to admit Turkey?'"

It's government policy to encourage Turkeys membership.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain212No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20169 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2020Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wrencat1873 "The irony of your situation is that, without the population growth (largely from European migrants), there would be no house building going on.
'"

Largely from European migrants?
Maybe from skilled migrants who could afford private new builds but open your eyes to see what "talent" is being let in!
I don't owe my living to low skilled migration.They are too high maintenance ,we have enough with our own low skilled population.

You are quite right about social housing though and availability.

RankPostsTeam
International Star15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50722.jpg

Quote: deeHell "A bit of a misrepresentation of Branson's achievements I think. Democratic accountability must be a bad thing in your world.'"

I just don't buy the dog-whistle soundbites about big business and the financial elite; I agree that there are issues around fair taxation and sharp practices that need to be addressed, but without entrepreneurs and wealth creators like Branson, the economy would collapse.

Ironically, we're in a stronger position to do that stuff as part of the EU - the French finance authority for example, just raided Google's offices for tax compliance offences.

299 posts in 21 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
299 posts in 21 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.41162109375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Wolves again
Deadcowboys1
Recent
Accounts
the fax in a
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
WIRE YED Prediction Competition London Home
WalterWizard
8s
Recruitment rumours and links
Or thane
16s
Film game
Boss Hog
18s
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Sir Gregory
22s
TV Games - Not Hull
bonaire
27s
TV games not Wire
Big lads mat
34s
Squad for London
karetaker
35s
Holly Spurr Interview
JamieRobinso
38s
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
RockNRolla
42s
Salford H Moved to Thursday
Zig
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trophy By Thrashing Salford
RLFANS News
TODAY
Barrow
FOREVERTRIN
TODAY
Holly Spurr Interview
JamieRobinso
TODAY
Wolves again
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
Academy Players Promoted to First Team Squad
Simba16
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Saints
Deeeekos
TODAY
Round 27 HKR Away
Seth
TODAY
Squad for London
karetaker
TODAY
Hull FC preview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Halifax A
Wigan Bull
TODAY
East stand
PopTart
TODAY
Locations of League
Wollo-Wollo-
TODAY
Matt Parcell to leave at seasons end
Huddersfield
TODAY
Huddersfiels to get new stadium
RobRiches
TODAY
IMG
Crosswire
TODAY
Leaving players
Murphy
TODAY
bulls on Sunday
faxcar
TODAY
Concerts at Stadiums
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
Finn out Murrell in
faxcar
TODAY
Playoff Semi Final
MattyB
TODAY
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Shareholders Meeting
Scarlet Pimp
TODAY
James Clark
Jake the Peg
TODAY
Le Cats at home - Los Alomos Custers Last Stand
Jake the Peg
TODAY
Realistic targets for 2025
the cal trai
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 27
ducknumber1
TODAY
Club Statement
UllFC
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
Leeds Rhinos Ride Their Luck F..
Wigan Warriors Level Top As Ca..
Castleford Tigers Inflict Anot..
Leigh Into the Six After Beati..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 2,960 80,12114,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R29
10:50
Cronulla
v
NQL Cowboys
       Championship 2024-R27
19:30
Sheffield
v
York
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R27
20:00
Hull KR
v
Leeds
Leigh
v
St.Helens
Warrington
v
LondonB
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R29
10:50
Sydney
v
Manly
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R27
15:00
Hull FC
v
Catalans
       Championship 2024-R27
18:00
Featherstone
v
Dewsbury
18:00
Widnes
v
Toulouse
19:30
Wakefield
v
Barrow
 Sun 22nd Sep
       Championship 2024-R27
Batley
v
Swinton
Halifax
v
Bradford
Swinton
v
Doncaster
       League One 2024-R24
Hunslet
v
Midlands
Keighley
v
Rochdale
 Sat 28th Sep
       Championship 2024-R28
17:00
Toulouse
v
Batley
 Sun 29th Sep
       Championship 2024-R28
Barrow
v
Widnes
Bradford
v
Swinton
Dewsbury
v
Sheffield
Wakefield
v
Doncaster
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 20th Sep
SL
Hull KR-Leeds
SL
Leigh-St.Helens
SL
Warrington-LondonB
Sat 21st Sep
SL
Hull FC-Catalans
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Thu 19th Sep
SL 27 Huddersfield34-10Castleford
SL 27 Wigan64-0Salford
Sun 15th Sep
WSL2024 14 FeatherstoneW6-32York V
WSL2024 14 Hudds W36-0Wire W
CH 26 Barrow34-14Whitehaven
CH 26 Bradford16-14Batley
CH 26 Dewsbury16-28Swinton
CH 26 Doncaster30-14Widnes
CH 26 Featherstone6-20Sheffield
CH 26 Wakefield20-4York
NRL 28 Canterbury22-24Manly
L1 23 Midlands24-22Workington
L1 23 Rochdale30-18Hunslet
Sat 14th Sep
SL 26 Hull FC4-58Salford
SL 26 Catalans12-8LondonB
SL 26 Huddersfield0-66Warrington
CH 26 Toulouse38-18Halifax
NRL 28 Melbourne37-10Cronulla
NRL 28 NQL Cowboys28-16Newcastle
Fri 13th Sep
SL 26 Leigh0-24Hull KR
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Hull KR 26 693 311 382 40
Warrington 26 684 319 365 38
Salford 27 550 547 3 32
St.Helens 26 584 370 214 30
Leigh 26 548 386 162 29

Leeds 26 514 462 52 28
Catalans 26 451 423 28 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
LondonB 26 317 862 -545 6
Hull FC 26 324 870 -546 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 24 892 256 636 46
Bradford 24 618 373 245 32
Toulouse 23 662 340 322 31
Sheffield 24 594 472 122 28
Widnes 24 513 433 80 27
York 25 613 439 174 26

Featherstone 24 566 472 94 26
Doncaster 24 470 527 -57 23
Batley 24 378 513 -135 20
Halifax 24 475 617 -142 20