FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > How much faith do you have in the RFL?
32 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach646No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2012Nov 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45047_1329226743.jpg
The saying 'bent as a 9 bob note' has now been dropped.....corrected phrase is 'bent as the RFL!':d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45047.jpg

We all visit this forum because we love the game and the respective teams that we follow. As we all know the RFL have the most influential role in shaping the game for juniors, amateurs, professionals and supporters alike.

Some have the opinion that the game 'on and off' the field is at it's strongest ever, and some would oppose this position saying that it is on the brink of collapse.

How good a job are the current crop of senior RFL officials doing, and are their actions in your opinion good for the future of our game at all levels?

Lets see what the general opinion is!!

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach4066
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Darlings of Super League:

(b)

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

Is there a test people have to take before being allowed to vote on this thread, to determine that they understand the difference between the RFL, SLE and their own incompetent club management?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner29212No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6310_1310045241.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6310.jpg

I have no faith in them to do what the sport needs. They are simply not experienced enough or competent enough commercially to bring the growth and development the sport requires.

They will maintain Super League and RL in general, keeping it ticking over. The two biggest deals for the RFL are the Sky TV deal and the competition sponsorship deal. They have failed to secure a meaningful Sky deal and the most recent one was absolutely awful. Given the disparity in viewing figures, the TV deal should generate far more than what Union get, yet we don't. Then you throw in the sponsorship deal with Stobart, which is an absolute disaster. I'm convinced Stobart made the offer as a joke because they didn't want to pay for it and the RFL bit as no other companies were interested. To generate £0 from a competition sponsorship deal is just comically bad business. To put it into perspective Aviva paid £20m over 4 years to sponsor Union's Premiership and Heineken have paid £10m per season to sponsor their Cup competition.

Then we could start on the franchise process. It was needless and weak from the start and was a complete farce with no clubs being cut from Super League and the one added not worthy of a spot anyway. The process let Bradford into Super League and London, who are getting crowds of 2,000 and seem to be receiving no help in improving that or any threat of punishment if they do not.

Then we could start on the Crusaders farce, but I can't be bothered, we all know what happened there.

In summary, the RFL will probably maintain SL for the next 10 years, losing a team every couple of seasons. They will not develop or improve the sport in the way it deserves under this administration.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach352No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Rowlf the Dog.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Rowlf the Dog.gif

Quote: Saddened! "I have no faith in them to do what the sport needs. They are simply not experienced enough or competent enough commercially to bring the growth and development the sport requires.

They will maintain Super League and RL in general, keeping it ticking over. The two biggest deals for the RFL are the Sky TV deal and the competition sponsorship deal. They have failed to secure a meaningful Sky deal and the most recent one was absolutely awful. Given the disparity in viewing figures, the TV deal should generate far more than what Union get, yet we don't. Then you throw in the sponsorship deal with Stobart, which is an absolute disaster. I'm convinced Stobart made the offer as a joke because they didn't want to pay for it and the RFL bit as no other companies were interested. To generate £0 from a competition sponsorship deal is just comically bad business. To put it into perspective Aviva paid £20m over 4 years to sponsor Union's Premiership and Heineken have paid £10m per season to sponsor their Cup competition.

Then we could start on the franchise process. It was needless and weak from the start and was a complete farce with no clubs being cut from Super League and the one added not worthy of a spot anyway. The process let Bradford into Super League and London, who are getting crowds of 2,000 and seem to be receiving no help in improving that or any threat of punishment if they do not.

Then we could start on the Crusaders farce, but I can't be bothered, we all know what happened there.

In summary, the RFL will probably maintain SL for the next 10 years, losing a team every couple of seasons. They will not develop or improve the sport in the way it deserves under this administration.'"

eusa_clap.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

Quote: Saddened! "IThen you throw in the sponsorship deal with Stobart, which is an absolute disaster.I'm convinced Stobart made the offer as a joke because they didn't want to pay for it and the RFL bit as no other companies were interested. .'"

Thanks for proving my point.

The sponsorship deals with Stobart and Betfair were put to the vote of SL clubs, who decided to accept the Stobart deal on a 9-5 vote IIRC.

There was an alternative cash offer on the table, in the region of £750k I believe. It was the SL clubs that chose not to accept it, not the RFL.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner29212No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6310_1310045241.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6310.jpg

Quote: Andy Gilder "Thanks for proving my point.

The sponsorship deals with Stobart and Betfair were put to the vote of SL clubs, who decided to accept the Stobart deal on a 9-5 vote IIRC.

There was an alternative cash offer on the table, in the region of £750k I believe. It was the SL clubs that chose not to accept it, not the RFL.'"

But who generated those offers? Who was it that went out to sell the product and did such a good job that there were the best offers?

Your point would have had some validity if the offer from Betfair was £5m a season.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1213No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Jun 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39856.gif
:39856.gif

Quote: Andy Gilder "Thanks for proving my point.

There was an alternative cash offer on the table, in the region of £750k I believe. It was the SL clubs that chose not to accept it, not the RFL.'"

750K to be a Major Sponsor?

I Know that Manly were getting that from Pepsi a decade ago + bonuses.
Its a sign of things to come.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner10000No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8202.jpg
[url=//www.facebook.com/wellsmotors:2svvs5eg][img:2svvs5eg]//i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd30/wellsy13/Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg[/img:2svvs5eg][/url:2svvs5eg]:8202.jpg

Quote: Saddened! "I have no faith in them to do what the sport needs. They are simply not experienced enough or competent enough commercially to bring the growth and development the sport requires.'"

Are you experienced enough or competent enough to give such a strong opinion?

Quote: Saddened! "They will maintain Super League and RL in general, keeping it ticking over. The two biggest deals for the RFL are the Sky TV deal and the competition sponsorship deal. They have failed to secure a meaningful Sky deal and the most recent one was absolutely awful. Given the disparity in viewing figures, the TV deal should generate far more than what Union get, yet we don't. Then you throw in the sponsorship deal with Stobart, which is an absolute disaster. I'm convinced Stobart made the offer as a joke because they didn't want to pay for it and the RFL bit as no other companies were interested. To generate £0 from a competition sponsorship deal is just comically bad business. To put it into perspective Aviva paid £20m over 4 years to sponsor Union's Premiership and Heineken have paid £10m per season to sponsor their Cup competition.'"

Isn't the recent Sky deal the best we've ever had? Aren't there rumblings that companies in France may soon be in a position to want to pay for SL because of the RFL's investment in bringing Catalans over? Do you know the difference between viewing figures and viewing demographics?

As for the sponsorship, it was voted for by the clubs. If you're going to start comparing to RU, then you're always going to be disappointed. It's not because of the people they have in charge. It's because they are established, have influence, etc. If you think life and business are just that easy, you will always vote for a "complete rethink" because you don't appreciate how difficult it is and never will.

Quote: Saddened! "Then we could start on the franchise process. It was needless and weak from the start and was a complete farce with no clubs being cut from Super League and the one added not worthy of a spot anyway. The process let Bradford into Super League and London, who are getting crowds of 2,000 and seem to be receiving no help in improving that or any threat of punishment if they do not. '"

So who would you have had in? You've just cut three clubs there. Name three clubs in the Championship that would offer more?
How many clubs do you think could handle the drop in this economic climate? And you want it to happen every year?

Quote: Saddened! "Then we could start on the Crusaders farce, but I can't be bothered, we all know what happened there. '"

Crusaders was a farce, I'll give you that. That is the "odd blip" for me.

Quote: Saddened! "In summary, the RFL will probably maintain SL for the next 10 years, losing a team every couple of seasons. They will not develop or improve the sport in the way it deserves under this administration.'"

They won't develop the sport or improve it? Are you just wearing SL glasses? What about participation figures? New areas playing the game at amateur? New semi-pro clubs coming in? Changing the seasons? Bringing BARLA together with us? Setting up the RLEF which has seen the game spread all over Europe (and beyond)?

The RFL have done f'ing loads. Loads. But one or two of the more high-profile decisions have gone bad and it's their fault. In fact, one or two of the high profile incidents haven't even got feck all to do with the RFL yet people blame them because they are sheep and it's just the easiest/laziest thing to do. It's always someone else's fault.

Some decisions are good. Some decisions are bad. Some people choose to focus on the good ones. In Britain, more people are obsessed with the bad ones.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman31082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

They make mistakes yes, but everything they do is in the best interests of the game as a whole.

Unlike the chairmen of the Super League clubs (and championship clubs to be even) who only look after their own interests.

As Andy Gilder said, there should be a test before people can vote and comment on this thread.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Saddened! "But who generated those offers? Who was it that went out to sell the product and did such a good job that there were the best offers?

Your point would have had some validity if the offer from Betfair was £5m a season.'"

IMG.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman31082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Yes they should have demanded that Apple Inc sponsored the Super League for a billion pounds.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2164No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2014Dec 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Being quite geographically disconnected from the ‘heartlands’ of Rugby League and without any connections whatsoever in the higher echelons of the sport, I cannot comment with any authority whatsoever on whether the behaviour of the senior staff at the RFL is ‘good and honourable’. Therefore I decline to vote

Although, having said that, I usually find that a good rule of thumb on these matters is to take whatever Saddened! says and the opposite is normally true

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1278No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2013Jul 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23138_1331550009.png
New Years Resolution To Stop Swearing 1st January FCUKing failed:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23138.png

Quote: Dunbar "Being quite geographically disconnected from the ‘heartlands’ of Rugby League and without any connections whatsoever in the higher echelons of the sport, I cannot comment with any authority whatsoever on whether the behaviour of the senior staff at the RFL is ‘good and honourable’. Therefore I decline to vote

Although, having said that, I usually find that a good rule of thumb on these matters is to take whatever Saddened! says and the opposite is normally true'"

eusa_clap.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner8633No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5374_1389225814.jpeg
[color=#FF4040:a05vbmvj][b:a05vbmvj]God is nothing more than an imaginary friend for grown ups.[/b:a05vbmvj][/color:a05vbmvj]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5374.jpeg

Quote: Andy Gilder "Is there a test people have to take before being allowed to vote on this thread, to determine that they understand the difference between the RFL, SLE and their own incompetent club management?'"

The only worthwhile and accurate comment so far.

Saddeneds speech, no matter how passionate, shows the greatest lack of understanding I've read in a long time. He seems to think that Richard Lewis pulls all the strings, makes the clubs overspend, can force sponsors to come to the table with billions, and make Sky give us a massive increase every season.

However, in the real world Richard Lewis is the Chairman. He delegates jobs to other members of the board - this is what the Chairman of any oganisation does. I'm sure some of the blame can be laid at his door, but to claim he's the sole cause is laughable. Similarly, it's the clubs themselves that spend the money, not the RFL.
Sure, if the sponsors were fighting over the rights to sponsor RL there would be more money in the game to cover some of these debts, but the simple fact remains that this situation only exists in the minds of fantasists like Saddened who believe that we have the most in demand product in the world. I hate to bring this news to you all.... we don't. RL is still very much a niche product, and doesn't have any great commercial potential.
Similarly, Sky may get better value from us in terms of viewing figures than they do from the RU, but that isn't what counts - what counts is the amount of money Sky can get from advertisers during our games. The last I was aware, the RU games shown on Sky were of a much higher commercial value than those watching RL. Why is this? Quite simply because the game isn't seen as being followed by fans with as much spending money as RU.
It's not because Sky are ripping us off, it's what their commercial department will be telling them we're worth.

Oh, hang on..... I'm wrong.

It's Richard Lewis' fault after all.

Sigh.

32 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
32 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.35009765625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
2m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
2m