JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2010Sep 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Ok I know this is an old chestnut but how many people here feel that the quality of referreeing at all levels is poor.

I coach kids and what I experienced yesterday was appalling.

Firstly I am not levelling any blame whatsoever at the opposition and I don't want anyone to think this is the ramblings of a poor loser. I try and instil discipline into kids to respect authority this is hard enough when they watch what goes on on a soccer field. But for kids to have to endure what they did it was hardly a surprise a full scale fight broke out. Brought on by the ref.

How many people can say they have been here themselves

Ok I didn't agree with the shouting our supporters did and told them so but when are the rl going to address the issues of refereeing instead of stuffing rules down our throats like what colour high viz vests we must wear.

We need tough but fair refs that players still call sir and not w@@@ker. Yes it is a hard job and one I wouldn't want to do but give us ones that are fair and competent and most coaches will ensure that they teach respect as well as core skills

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member3555No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2023Aug 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Respect only seems to work one way with the RFL. We amateurs have to jump through hoops to be 'more professional' yet some officials are taking good money for repeatedly inept performances that will never be picked up due to the scrapping of assessment sheets. It's no wonder so many 'volunteers' are getting disillusioned.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2010Sep 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I'll give credit where credit is due though. We played last night and narrowly got beaten by 2 points. The ref was a teenager (the same age as the one we had on saturday) and he couldn't have been so different. really really good. He made a mistake in the first half and came up and apologised to me for it. I said I respected the fact he could own up to his mistakes and that it wasn't a problem.

Then right at the end with us 2 points down we were through and the lad went over but when he hit the ground the ball went free as he was being tackled by 3 or 4 players. The ref was unsighted and didn't give the try. I was well sighted and couldn't make my mind up. A video ref one definately!!! Not a problem because we had had a ref who was good all the game.

RankPostsTeam
International Star305No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

i would like to know did the ref throw the first punch ? also why dont you getyour own parents in order first and stop abusing the refs when you have done that then maybe the ref can keep his mind on the game instead of the name calling that is running around in his head specces and parents think somhow thay have a right slag the refs off dont you know they are human .prick

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach149No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2012Jun 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

We had a ref yesterday was embarrassing the other team was offside from a kick off he said they were offside kick it again ha. Our captain asked the ref about repeated offsides to almost everyplay the ball to which he replied they are only offside because your team aren't playin the ball fast enough I thought you couldn't move up until the ball was played not try to play the ball to try and keep up with the defence

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2023Aug 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: MRLEICESTER "We had a ref yesterday was embarrassing the other team was offside from a kick off he said they were offside kick it again ha. Our captain asked the ref about repeated offsides to almost everyplay the ball to which he replied they are only offside because your team aren't playin the ball fast enough I thought you couldn't move up until the ball was played not try to play the ball to try and keep up with the defence'"

I usually like a ref that talks to the teams! He would be good at U8s, correcting little mistakes as he goes along. A bit out of his depth at open age! d040.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2399No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46934_1276712580.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_46934.jpg

Quote: Milly "Respect only seems to work one way with the RFL. We amateurs have to jump through hoops to be 'more professional' yet some officials are taking good money for repeatedly inept performances that will never be picked up due to the scrapping of assessment sheets. It's no wonder so many 'volunteers' are getting disillusioned.'"

The majority of amateur refs only do so because they love the game as much as the rest of us, and it's just another way of getting involved. None of them make mistakes on purpose, and when they have to make a split second decision they give it as they see it at the time. Some of the abuse they are subject to is greatly unfair, and at times much more aggressive than you see at pro games.

RankPostsTeam
International Star305No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

stannie are the worst they kick the refs car in when it dosent go their way

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach17844No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2014Mar 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23997_1287161421.jpg
[quote="Mark"]Great game of rugby league. Fantastic atmosphere, Wigan were breathtaking and dominant in all areas for the first 25 minutes, coupled with us making alot of dumb mistakes,then fortunately they brought McIlorum on which helped us back into the game. I thought some of the tries we scored to get us within two we're out of this world stuff. Towards the end we had to force it a little and we had a few things go wrong, i.e Monas kick on the first for King and Solomona going off who was causing havoc. Wigan were clinical in their eventual execution of us. Proud of Wire today and gave us a little glimpse to the future. Silverwood was awful as per, but I expect no less. Tomkins is a world class player and by far the best english player in SL. Wigan are a champion side and would be a worthy winner of taking our title as challenge cup. Good luck over the next month and a bit.[/quote]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23997.jpg

I've seen refs this season in the prem saying 'if you keep shouting on the touch line i wont give you anything' whats that all about?

But i have seen some refs have a very good game you got to take the rough with the smooth i suppose

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif
:12389.gif

Quote: king warrior "I've seen refs this season in the prem saying 'if you keep shouting on the touch line i wont give you anything' whats that all about?

But i have seen some refs have a very good game you got to take the rough with the smooth i suppose'"

Must admit I agree with that concept.

A lad got sin-binned for dissent against us a few weeks ago. After 10 minutes their coach started yelling at the ref "10 minutes is up ref! 10 minutes ref!" over and over - this was on top of him yelling "offside" at almost EVERY ptb, and other stuff. We've had this ref several times and knew to keep our mouths shut whatever happened - he's generally a good ref and does his job well, but can be very strict and penalise unruly teams, and will not stand for backchat. Anyway, a little while later he waved the player back on.

After the game I was talking to the ref who said, "I kept him off for 15 minutes, I'm not being shouted at like that."

I'd rather have that than a ref who cracks at pressure from the sidelines.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2023Aug 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: imwakefieldtillidie "The majority of amateur refs only do so because they love the game as much as the rest of us, and it's just another way of getting involved. None of them make mistakes on purpose, and when they have to make a split second decision they give it as they see it at the time. Some of the abuse they are subject to is greatly unfair, and at times much more aggressive than you see at pro games.'"

I agree that they should not be subjected to abuse under any circumstances, after all without them we would not get a game played. But since the scrapping of the assessment sheet there is no way to feedback on their performance. If they get no feedback how are they supposed to improve? If all they are hearing is abuse from the touchline, from both sides, saying that everything they are doing is wrong where are they supposed to get their positive criticism from?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach73No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2013Mar 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The assessments were probably scrapped because some clubs werent taking them seriously, Some clubs would mark to whether they won or lost and / or any previous issues with that official.. Too many times the comments forms were either left blank and just the scores entered or the comments box used to slate the official (not the positive feedback mentionned) Also the refs never really got to see them til weeks afterwards either if they did get to see them.

I know other clubs look to be honest and help the officials but others once the games over dont give a fig

<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.90234375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
Wanderer
4m
Merger with Huddersfield
MP
6m