FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Hull FC > Do the stats really lie?
46 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5100
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Not been on here for a while as have been on holiday, but was catching up with a few articles on the official website and a couple stood out in particular.

The following stats were mentioned in these two articles (www.hullfc.com/newsarticle.aspx?n=18407 & www.hullfc.com/newsarticle.aspx?n=18388):

- The Black and Whites have won ten of their last fifteen Super League outings, a record that can only be bettered by the top two of Wigan and Warrington

- The 106 tries scored this season is the most we have registered since making the Grand Final in 2006

- The wins against Catalans and Crusaders meant we notched up over 90 points in back-to-back fixtures for the first time since 2004

- The 58-18 win against Crusaders RL was the first time that the club have notched up five 50+ scores in a season since joining Super League

I know a lot of people on here call out Hull, and thus Agar, for a lack of attacking rugby and the ability to kill teams off, but going by the stats the improvement is there for all to see this season. The fact that our recent form is only bettered by Wigan and Warrington, two teams who we'd all agree are a significant way ahead of us on the field, shows that we are doing things the right way and only minor improvements in the squad and, particularly, the way we start our season will make for a successful 2012.

The additions of Seymour, Heremaia, Ellis and McKinnon, plus others still to be announced, will strengthen our squad in key positions and allow the attacking rugby to continue. Meanwhile, the likes of Briscoe and Yeaman (one of the most potent attacking wing/centre partnerships in the competition) and Westerman, who has shown some excellent form in recent months, will aid the attacking rugby that we all savour.

On a personal note, I've always been frustrated by our inability to 'kill teams off' - hitting them where it hurts and racking up 40/50 points - something that we have done this season in unprecedented fashion as a club since we joined Super League.

Now Agar may or may not be here next season, but we are certainly (on the fact of it anyway) going the right way about changing things. Maybe the stats do lie, but it certainly appears that one of Agar's greatest criticisms, a lack of free-flowing, attacking, try-scoring rugby, is a thing of the past.
Not been on here for a while as have been on holiday, but was catching up with a few articles on the official website and a couple stood out in particular.

The following stats were mentioned in these two articles (www.hullfc.com/newsarticle.aspx?n=18407 & www.hullfc.com/newsarticle.aspx?n=18388):

- The Black and Whites have won ten of their last fifteen Super League outings, a record that can only be bettered by the top two of Wigan and Warrington

- The 106 tries scored this season is the most we have registered since making the Grand Final in 2006

- The wins against Catalans and Crusaders meant we notched up over 90 points in back-to-back fixtures for the first time since 2004

- The 58-18 win against Crusaders RL was the first time that the club have notched up five 50+ scores in a season since joining Super League

I know a lot of people on here call out Hull, and thus Agar, for a lack of attacking rugby and the ability to kill teams off, but going by the stats the improvement is there for all to see this season. The fact that our recent form is only bettered by Wigan and Warrington, two teams who we'd all agree are a significant way ahead of us on the field, shows that we are doing things the right way and only minor improvements in the squad and, particularly, the way we start our season will make for a successful 2012.

The additions of Seymour, Heremaia, Ellis and McKinnon, plus others still to be announced, will strengthen our squad in key positions and allow the attacking rugby to continue. Meanwhile, the likes of Briscoe and Yeaman (one of the most potent attacking wing/centre partnerships in the competition) and Westerman, who has shown some excellent form in recent months, will aid the attacking rugby that we all savour.

On a personal note, I've always been frustrated by our inability to 'kill teams off' - hitting them where it hurts and racking up 40/50 points - something that we have done this season in unprecedented fashion as a club since we joined Super League.

Now Agar may or may not be here next season, but we are certainly (on the fact of it anyway) going the right way about changing things. Maybe the stats do lie, but it certainly appears that one of Agar's greatest criticisms, a lack of free-flowing, attacking, try-scoring rugby, is a thing of the past.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16983No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2015Oct 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40452_1335639638.jpg
[img:218z2l9g]http://i40.tinypic.com/tz8ti.jpg[/img:218z2l9g]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40452.jpg

Some good valid points, I think our 5 drives and a kick are a myth. We have certainly played more expansive rugby this season.

However the results or league positioning do not lie.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member37704No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2051.jpg
The older I get, the better I was Advice is what we seek when we already know the answer - but wish we didn't I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full-frontal lobotomy ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ kirkstaller wrote: "All DNA shows is that we have a common creator." cod'ead wrote: "I have just snotted weissbier all over my keyboard & screen" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin." - Aneurin Bevan:2051.jpg

Thanks for that Herr Goebbels

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5100
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Marfa Manu "Some good valid points, I think our 5 drives and a kick are a myth. We have certainly played more expansive rugby this season.

However the results or league positioning do not lie.'"

Of our first 10 league games, seven were defeats. Therefore, in the following 15 games, we only lost five. If we improve our start, and had begun playing the attacking rugby earlier in the season, our season would be markedly different.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5100
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: cod'ead "Thanks for that Herr Goebbels'"

I understand the reference, just not the application.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach29771No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Been saying all season that people moaning about boring, 5 drives and a kick rugby haven't been watching the same team as me this season. We do look better with ball in hand, undoubtedly, and are looking to promote the ball much more than in previous seasons. We have also not been ted by the likes of Wigan and Warrington this season, which again is a positive.

The issue for me is our dismal failure to trouble anyone above us in the table, Wire away and Cats at home apart. It's unacceptable to be having a must win game this weekend to even get into the 8. Unacceptable. We lack the mental steel and composure to win key games under Agar, fully evidenced by our record against clubs above us, our failure to win a play-off game for 4 years and to beat SL competition in the cup in over 3. So in summary, we are more entertaining, for sure. But losing 5 of every 6 games against teams above us under Agar is simply unacceptable. Scoring more tries along the way is welcome, but the league table doesn't lie.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16983No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2015Oct 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40452_1335639638.jpg
[img:218z2l9g]http://i40.tinypic.com/tz8ti.jpg[/img:218z2l9g]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40452.jpg

Quote: Cardiff_05 "Of our first 10 league games, seven were defeats. Therefore, in the following 15 games, we only lost five. If we improve our start, and had begun playing the attacking rugby earlier in the season, our season would be markedly different.'"

It would be different, however we have a coach who has had a few years to get his team together so there are no excuses for the poor start which has proven costly.......The thing that gutted me the most was losing in the cup to a very average Leeds team after the strong lead we had at h/time, we are pants in big games.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator4040No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"Dream Big..Work Hard".................. Sarah Storey, Paralympic Legend.:

What percentage of those wins have been on a friday night?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner53839No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Aug 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Twitter - @MaddyHFC:

Quote: Mrs Barista "Been saying all season that people moaning about boring, 5 drives and a kick rugby haven't been watching the same team as me this season. We do look better with ball in hand, undoubtedly, and are looking to promote the ball much more than in previous seasons. We have also not been ted by the likes of Wigan and Warrington this season, which again is a positive.

The issue for me is our dismal failure to trouble anyone above us in the table, Wire away and Cats at home apart. It's unacceptable to be having a must win game this weekend to even get into the 8. Unacceptable. We lack the mental steel and composure to win key games under Agar, fully evidenced by our record against clubs above us, our failure to win a play-off game for 4 years and to beat SL competition in the cup in over 3. So in summary, we are more entertaining, for sure. But losing 5 of every 6 games against teams above us under Agar is simply unacceptable. Scoring more tries along the way is welcome, but the league table doesn't lie.'"

Summed up perfectly, nothing I can add to that.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1468
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 1970Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Given that 2 of the 5 fifty scores were against lowly opposition in the cup it is still only 3 and we've been dire when it mattered most. It is somewhat sychophantic that the club can spout this as a major plus point.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10540No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32093.jpg
:32093.jpg

Quote: Mrs Barista "Been saying all season that people moaning about boring, 5 drives and a kick rugby haven't been watching the same team as me this season. We do look better with ball in hand, undoubtedly, and are looking to promote the ball much more than in previous seasons. We have also not been ted by the likes of Wigan and Warrington this season, which again is a positive.

The issue for me is our dismal failure to trouble anyone above us in the table, Wire away and Cats at home apart. It's unacceptable to be having a must win game this weekend to even get into the 8. Unacceptable. We lack the mental steel and composure to win key games under Agar, fully evidenced by our record against clubs above us, our failure to win a play-off game for 4 years and to beat SL competition in the cup in over 3. So in summary, we are more entertaining, for sure. But losing 5 of every 6 games against teams above us under Agar is simply unacceptable. Scoring more tries along the way is welcome, but the league table doesn't lie.'"

Spot on. The bad start followed by a decent run mostly just relates to when we've had our games against the decent sides. We lost 7 out of 10 because 5 of those games were against the current top 7, we've actually won 9 of the last 15, but it's been helped by the fact that we've only played 7 league games against the same teams in that period and managed the Wire and Catalans results. So we were still only really the 2 results better.

This year we've simply improved our results against the bottom half of SL, that's all.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member6734No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2021Jun 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3738_1390436317.gif
The referee's indecision is final:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3738.gif

the most important stat is that we are 8th in a 16 team league and may be 9th at the end. bottom half of the table is not acceptable for this team. we should be contesting 4th as a minimum given our resources, fan base and off field set up

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10540No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32093.jpg
:32093.jpg

Quote: the artist "the most important stat is that we are 8th in a 16 team league and may be 9th at the end. bottom half of the table is not acceptable for this team. we should be contesting 4th as a minimum given our resources, fan base and off field set up'"

It's actually 8th out of 14, so we're already in the bottom half. We need to catch Cas to make the top half.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach13126No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2023Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12839_1486909898.png
[b:16wvcohs]"To play your best football you need players with enthusiasm and drive and energy." - [i:16wvcohs]Peter Sterling[/i:16wvcohs][/b:16wvcohs] [quote="Adam Pearson said not":16wvcohs][b:16wvcohs]I know there are two franchises and two clubs (in Hull) and that will remain forever more[/b:16wvcohs][/quote:16wvcohs]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_12839.png

Last year we won a number of close games (including against the better teams in the league) particularly at home. This year we have lost those games but generally beaten lower teams more convincingly. At the start of the season it was fashionable to post Agar's recent record of losses over the last x games. Less so now because as the OP stated 10 from the last 15 isn't bad.

We haven't won enough games at home this year (Wakefield/Cas being the costliest defeats). The style of play has been miles better thanks to the addition of more half back cover (Obst/Westerman) - we have ridden injury problems to Long and even Nicklas who would have played a lot of games otherwise. Overall we have neither gone forwards or backwards really which is a little disappointing.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach30147
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32641_1503834456.jpg
The poor man's bonaire:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32641.jpg

Quote: Staffs FC "Last year we won a number of close games (including against the better teams in the league) particularly at home. This year we have lost those games but generally beaten lower teams more convincingly. At the start of the season it was fashionable to post Agar's recent record of losses over the last x games. Less so now because as the OP stated 10 from the last 15 isn't bad.

We haven't won enough games at home this year (Wakefield/Cas being the costliest defeats). The style of play has been miles better thanks to the addition of more half back cover (Obst/Westerman) - we have ridden injury problems to Long and even Nicklas who would have played a lot of games otherwise. Overall we have neither gone forwards or backwards really which is a little disappointing.'"

This time last year we were looking like we could finish 4th, this year it's 7th at best and potentially 9th. I'd say that was backwards

46 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
46 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.2041015625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC