JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

As a club, this is a huge season for us and a lot depends on certain players fulfilling their potential IMO.

1: Ryan Hampshire, if he is to be the HB that he and his fans (myself included) claim him to be, he needs to prove it this season, end of and no excuses. Those who bang on about his ability need to be proved right or it's going to get embarrassing. Signs were not good on Boxing day, yes the whole team was poor but I saw no real attempt by Hampshire to take the game on, his performance was limp and it shouldn't have been in a game where he could have showcased his talents, the one who actually did what I expected Ryan to do was Josh Wood. He's not a right off yet, but for those deluded enough, yep deluded, to think he should replace Miller and especially Brough need to look again. No doubt the talent is there but no real signs as yet that he's anywhere near the old man.

2: Tom Johnstone, his problems are as much in the mind as the body. I've never had a sporting injury but I have suffered a serious illness and the fightback takes place in the head as much as the body. You have to work hard and be brave before you trust your body again. He's done it once let's hope he does it again. If he does we have one of the best wingers I've ever seen anywhere entering his prime.

3: David Fifita, the big Bopper is all people say he is, no doubt. However, there is also no doubt that Dave doesn't always have it right in his head, there is still an element of the class clown in Dave. I don't want that to go completely but at 30 its a good time to become more mature and focussed. If he does so and starts to truly lead he can in his own way be every bit as good as Andrew and now is the time.

4: Danny Brough, this is his last stanza and in his own words, he has unfinished business at Trinity. We need him to perform and to do so he needs to adapt himself better. Danny wants to be the centre of everything, this is fine at 25 where your deeds match your demands, that is no longer the case. Danny needs to pace himself and use his gifts sparingly, we don't need Danny to be magic 80 minutes a game, let the others take the strain, just be there when it matters.

There are others for whom its a big year but for these, it's not the end of the story nor in fairness are they quite as 'special' IMHO as the players mentioned above can be when on song. However there are others who's form would also make a huge difference - Walkers, Lyne, Tupou, Miller, Ashurst, Arona, Tanginoa and one of the Woods for starters but as its a team game then basically they all need to be the best versions of themselves that they can manage. If so and with a little chuffing luck then who knows.

Others, of course, may see it differently.

icon_razz.gifRAY: icon_razz.gifRAY: icon_razz.gifRAY:

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6292
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
31007_1580947500.jpg
EVENTUALLY, WE'LL WIN SOMETHING, ,MAYBE, IF I'M STILL ALIVE THEN:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_31007.jpg

I agree with Hampshire, although to be fair to him, he's never really had the chance to prove it in the position he wants to be in, at half-back. Whether that's his best position is hard to know, as he hasn't played much there, but he has the chance to prove himself as an outstanding full back.

I didn't go to the Boxing Day game but I wouldn't read too much into any performances there. Blow off a few cobwebs, escape uninjured, help some new boys gel in. They are the games for players like Josh Wood to prove themselves, not Rocky.

I think you're wrong about Fifita. He will never be a player like Andrew. Just because they are identical twins does not mean they are of identical temperaments and steel, and David's character is what it is. I have identical twins and they are chalk and cheese in terms of personality and internal drive, and you wouldn't be able to instil in one what the other has. There is a reason why he was a fringe player at Cronulla whilst his brother was their outstanding player in their Grand Final win and regularly turning out for Tonga. Andrew has something more steely about him, and if David doesnt have as much, that's just how it is, but he had enough before his foot injury to be on the Man of Steel leader board.

Until his hand injury, Broughy was outstanding. We'll find out this year how much that had an effect, as he has presumably recovered from it.

I know what you mean about Johnstone. I can't wait to see him play again, but every time he strides out I'll be holding my breath. Let him have a quiet season, by his standards, and get through it unscathed. From following him on instagram, it looks like he has taken his rehab very seriously and professionally. What I don't know is whether once you have your ACL injured and repaired, it is then better and stronger, because it has been strengthened in the surgery, or whether it is always weaker because it has been damaged.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2167No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Slugger McBatt "I agree with Hampshire, although to be fair to him, he's never really had the chance to prove it in the position he wants to be in, at half-back. Whether that's his best position is hard to know, as he hasn't played much there, but he has the chance to prove himself as an outstanding full back.

I didn't go to the Boxing Day game but I wouldn't read too much into any performances there. Blow off a few cobwebs, escape uninjured, help some new boys gel in. They are the games for players like Josh Wood to prove themselves, not Rocky.

I think you're wrong about Fifita. He will never be a player like Andrew. Just because they are identical twins does not mean they are of identical temperaments and steel, and David's character is what it is. I have identical twins and they are chalk and cheese in terms of personality and internal drive, and you wouldn't be able to instil in one what the other has. There is a reason why he was a fringe player at Cronulla whilst his brother was their outstanding player in their Grand Final win and regularly turning out for Tonga. Andrew has something more steely about him, and if David doesnt have as much, that's just how it is, but he had enough before his foot injury to be on the Man of Steel leader board.

Until his hand injury, Broughy was outstanding. We'll find out this year how much that had an effect, as he has presumably recovered from it.

I know what you mean about Johnstone. I can't wait to see him play again, but every time he strides out I'll be holding my breath. Let him have a quiet season, by his standards, and get through it unscathed. From following him on instagram, it looks like he has taken his rehab very seriously and professionally. What I don't know is whether once you have your ACL injured and repaired, it is then better and stronger, because it has been strengthened in the surgery, or whether it is always weaker because it has been damaged.'"

I didn't mean Dave would be exactly the same as Andrew, I meant in 'his own way' he could be, also bare in mind this is SL wherein all due respect the bar is set a little lower, shouldn't be but it is. With the latter in mind it's all there for Dave to grab.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator20482
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha:41119.jpg

Dave shouldn't be compared to Andrew imo.

Big Dave needs to compare to Watts, Thompson, Walmsley and now Burgess.
Before his injury he was dominating the league but he's been quickly forgotten by the rest after missing the end of the season. It's a chance for him to get that back.

Playing for Wakefield allows him to be a bit more creative and off the cuff than the others on the list and also be a leader, but only as a "follow me" leader. I would not make him team captain. That's a different skill altogether.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain852No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Fishermanscap "As a club, this is a huge season for us and a lot depends on certain players fulfilling their potential IMO.

1: Ryan Hampshire, if he is to be the HB that he and his fans (myself included) claim him to be, he needs to prove it this season, end of and no excuses. Those who bang on about his ability need to be proved right or it's going to get embarrassing. Signs were not good on Boxing day, yes the whole team was poor but I saw no real attempt by Hampshire to take the game on, his performance was limp and it shouldn't have been in a game where he could have showcased his talents, the one who actually did what I expected Ryan to do was Josh Wood. He's not a right off yet, but for those deluded enough, yep deluded, to think he should replace Miller and especially Brough need to look again. No doubt the talent is there but no real signs as yet that he's anywhere near the old man.

2: Tom Johnstone, his problems are as much in the mind as the body. I've never had a sporting injury but I have suffered a serious illness and the fightback takes place in the head as much as the body. You have to work hard and be brave before you trust your body again. He's done it once let's hope he does it again. If he does we have one of the best wingers I've ever seen anywhere entering his prime.

What are you on about as re. Hampshire?! Apart from Fifita, he was the most consistent player last season by a country mile, we would have been relegated without his assists and tries. He was playing really well with Miller in the halves when Finn finally got left out, then CC decided to bring in Broughy (rightly or wrongly). Apart from TJ, Hampshire I would suggest is the most talented player at the club.

3: David Fifita, the big Bopper is all people say he is, no doubt. However, there is also no doubt that Dave doesn't always have it right in his head, there is still an element of the class clown in Dave. I don't want that to go completely but at 30 its a good time to become more mature and focussed. If he does so and starts to truly lead he can in his own way be every bit as good as Andrew and now is the time.

4: Danny Brough, this is his last stanza and in his own words, he has unfinished business at Trinity. We need him to perform and to do so he needs to adapt himself better. Danny wants to be the centre of everything, this is fine at 25 where your deeds match your demands, that is no longer the case. Danny needs to pace himself and use his gifts sparingly, we don't need Danny to be magic 80 minutes a game, let the others take the strain, just be there when it matters.

There are others for whom its a big year but for these, it's not the end of the story nor in fairness are they quite as 'special' IMHO as the players mentioned above can be when on song. However there are others who's form would also make a huge difference - Walkers, Lyne, Tupou, Miller, Ashurst, Arona, Tanginoa and one of the Woods for starters but as its a team game then basically they all need to be the best versions of themselves that they can manage. If so and with a little chuffing luck then who knows.

Others, of course, may see it differently.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2167No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: PopTart "Dave shouldn't be compared to Andrew imo.

Big Dave needs to compare to Watts, Thompson, Walmsley and now Burgess.
Before his injury he was dominating the league but he's been quickly forgotten by the rest after missing the end of the season. It's a chance for him to get that back.

Playing for Wakefield allows him to be a bit more creative and off the cuff than the others on the list and also be a leader, but only as a "follow me" leader. I would not make him team captain. That's a different skill altogether.'"

Why not?

There are obvious physical similarities, so theoretically they are capable of being a very similar type of player. I agree that in reality, they aren't the same person but that doesn't mean one can't learn from the other.

Don't think we need to get too bogged down in semantics here, all I'm saying is that potentially Dave could be as good as his brother, I don't think he will, its too late and he's too different in temperament but he can aspire, nowt wrong with that.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2167No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Wildmoggy "'"
]

Did you want to say something icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star2576
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I'm waiting to see what the coaches learnt from last season

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2167No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: alegend "I'm waiting to see what the coaches learnt from last season'"

Have a team of cyborgs who don't get injured?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator20482
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha:41119.jpg

Quote: Fishermanscap "Why not?

There are obvious physical similarities, so theoretically they are capable of being a very similar type of player. I agree that in reality, they aren't the same person but that doesn't mean one can't learn from the other.

Don't think we need to get too bogged down in semantics here, all I'm saying is that potentially Dave could be as good as his brother, I don't think he will, its too late and he's too different in temperament but he can aspire, nowt wrong with that.'"

Nothing wrong with learning from anybody but it's not his target in my opinion.
Of course he can aim to be the best prop in the world but his first step is to be better than the props around him.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2206No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I do no think Hampshire has anything to prove, last season he was consistently excellent, he was our most creative player, durable and a brilliant finisher. He was our best half back and best player by a country mile.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2642No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Thank God it's a simple game .

RankPostsTeam
Moderator20482
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg

Quote: bellycouldtackle "I do no think Hampshire has anything to prove, last season he was consistently excellent, he was our most creative player, durable and a brilliant finisher. He was our best half back and best player by a country mile.'"

He played full back and wing.
What Fish is saying I think, is that he isn't proved as the half back he wants to be.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2167No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: bellycouldtackle "I do no think Hampshire has anything to prove, last season he was consistently excellent, he was our most creative player, durable and a brilliant finisher. He was our best half back and best player by a country mile.'"

No mate he isn't any of those things I'm afraid.

I can only assume you're a wind-up merchant because much as I like Hampshire it's impossible for anyone with a serious interest in the game to make the statement you've just made. Worse still I don't think it helps the lad when people give him that kind of acclaim, it needs to be earned by deeds not just because you and a few others seem to idolise him.

Truth is his best position last year was actually on the wing where I thought he played extremely well and his finishing was superb.

At FB he was also pretty good, at HB he didn't do so well and if you were being honest you'd admit that. He was consistent in terms of effort, no argument. Best player? Certainly one of the better ones but by a country mile! That really does make you sound a bit ridiculous. Finally 'most creative", easily the weakest part of his game IMHO, seriously Belly when he sorts that part of his game then you will have an argument.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2167No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: PopTart "He played full back and wing.
What Fish is saying I think, is that he isn't proved as the half back he wants to be.'"

Exactly.

In a way, it's the fault of his support brigade rather than Ryan himself. They seem obsessed that he is an HB and as of yet IMHO he hasn't proved it at senior level. I wish he would as we'd have a superstar on our hands but just saying it doesn't make it so,

Also IMHO there is nothing wrong with him ending up on the wing or at FB, all positions are vital but there does seem to be a certain snobbery regarding the HB roll. Truth is loads of great players don't end up playing in the same positions as adults as the excelled in as kids, why should they? it's not re-ordained.

I'm all for giving Ryan as many chances as we can but it's up to him to take them and as yet the HB role has eluded him a bit. That said he hasn't proved to be terrible when given the chance I hasten to add, just hasn't exploded into the limelight as much as I'd hoped and thus I still prefer Miller and Brough for now. Also granted it was only a friendly.

41 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing
41 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.634765625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Watson toast
Willzay
40m
have the rules changed
Spookisback
51m
Round 17 Warrington Away
Les Norton
Recent
Recruitment rumours and links
Alffi_7
Recent
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
Zig
Recent
Saints h
Zig
Recent
Bradford Away 140724
RealSteel89
Recent
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
Recent
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
Recent
Arthur In
KaeruJim
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Round 17 Warrington Away
Les Norton
2m
Wakefield H
Peter Goddar
5m
Tonights game v Giants
Matt King's
6m
Bradford Away 140724
RealSteel89
6m
Recruitment rumours and links
Alffi_7
6m
Rumours and signings v9
jonh
6m
Tonights game v Leeds
The Speculat
6m
Squad 2024
SingaporeFax
7m
Planning for next season
LeythIg
8m
have the rules changed
Spookisback
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Warrington Wolves Into Second With Win Over Leeds
RLFANS News
TODAY
Tonights game v Leeds
The Speculat
TODAY
Watson toast
Willzay
TODAY
Watson Been Stood Down
Deeeekos
TODAY
Watson gone
Jo Jumbuck
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Giants
doc999
TODAY
Just makes me laugh
Wildmoggy
TODAY
Anyone know about wfd v batley
Wollo-Wollo-
TODAY
Bradford
BigTime
TODAY
One more Saints inspired novel
glee
TODAY
Bradford Away 140724
RealSteel89
TODAY
Fax v Fev
The Phantom
TODAY
Cas
RfE
TODAY
Round 17 Warrington Away
Les Norton
TODAY
Saints h
Zig
TODAY
For the live of god Arthur out
batleyrhino
TODAY
Arthur In
KaeruJim
TODAY
Wakefield H
Peter Goddar
TODAY
Squad for Leeds
Or thane
TODAY
Academy Internationa
Winslade's O
TODAY
Jamie Humphreys NRL Debut
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
York v Dons Sunday 14th July 2024 3pm
Double Movem
TODAY
Warrington v Wigan Super League game to take place in Las Ve
Saddened!
TODAY
Las Vegas Official
TF and the w
TODAY
have the rules changed
Spookisback
TODAY
FC v hull kr
Jake the Peg
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Into Second ..
Salford Hold On To Beat Unluck..
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win O..
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thri..
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
Hull KR Drop Goal Secures Win ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M 2,479 ↓-2480,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
11:00
Cronulla
v
Wests
     Womens Super League 2024-R8
17:30
WiganW
v
St.HelensW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
20:00
LondonB
v
Castleford
Wigan
v
St.Helens
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
08:30
Gold Coast
v
Parramatta
10:35
Brisbane
v
St.George
12:00
York V
v
FeatherstoneW
15:00
Hull FC
v
Hull KR
Leigh
v
Huddersfield
       Championship 2024-R15
Whitehaven
v
Toulouse
Catalans
v
Salford
 Sun 14th Jul
12:00
Wire W
v
LeedsW
       League One 2024-R15
14:00
Newcastle
v
Hunslet
14:00
Hudds W
v
BarrowW
       Championship 2024-R15
Batley
v
Barrow
Bradford
v
Wakefield
Halifax
v
Featherstone
Sheffield
v
Swinton
Widnes
v
Dewsbury
York
v
Doncaster
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 12th Jul
SL
LondonB-Castleford
WSL2024
WiganW-St.HelensW
SL
Wigan-St.Helens
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
18:00
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Thu 11th Jul
NRL 19 Dolphins36-28Souths
SL 17 Warrington30-18Leeds
Sun 7th Jul
NRL 18 Sydney42-12St.George
NRL 18 Canberra12-16Newcastle
SL 16 Salford22-20Hull FC
CH 14 Dewsbury16-20Doncaster
CH 14 Featherstone66-0Whitehaven
CH 14 Swinton24-12Widnes
CH 14 Wakefield34-12Batley
CH 14 York54-12Barrow
L1 14 Newcastle0-44Workington
L1 14 Crusaders18-32Midlands
L1 14 Keighley20-20Rochdale
WSL2024 7 Wire W10-32Hudds W
WSL2024 7 York V44-0BarrowW
Sat 6th Jul
NRL 18 Canterbury13-12NZ Warriors
NRL 18 Wests28-40Melbourne
NRL 18 NQL Cowboys20-22Manly
SL 16 Hull KR14-16Catalans
SL 16 Leeds17-16LondonB
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 15 427 170 257 26
Warrington 17 436 231 205 24
St.Helens 16 429 170 259 22
Hull KR 16 397 217 180 22
Salford 16 317 308 9 22
Catalans 16 304 234 70 20

Leeds 17 309 316 -7 18
Huddersfield 16 298 365 -67 12
Leigh 15 270 250 20 11
Castleford 16 246 435 -189 9
Hull FC 16 218 496 -278 4
LondonB 16 156 615 -459 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 14 520 154 366 28
Sheffield 14 382 217 165 22
Bradford 14 353 230 123 19
Toulouse 13 344 186 158 17
Widnes 14 327 269 58 15
Featherstone 14 396 283 113 14

Doncaster 14 257 341 -84 13
York 15 339 305 34 12
Batley 14 217 320 -103 12
Swinton 14 284 344 -60 10