JoinedServiceReputation
May 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Given the current state of the club, the finances, the playing staff and who is contracted beyond this season, including coaching staff, the ground situation, the club as a whole, i'd like as many people to give genuine, real factual reasons as to why it would be beneficial to still be in the top flight next season...... icon_smile.gif

WF2
RankPostsTeam
International Star83No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2015Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Erm, wouldn't the answer be because everyone would like to see and for us to be playing against the top teams?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member10479
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2597_1613407166.jpg
This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me. WTRLC 2012 to 2014 "The wasted years" Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys" 2013, 2014 & 2015 2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's right foot. 2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 2019 - The return of the Prodigal Son. 2020 - Keeping the faith.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2597.jpg

Because the top flight is soon going to be the only tier that matters and the one that gets all the funding. Once you're out it will be impossible to get back in.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1780No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Apr 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Same reason you would want to be in the top tier of any sport far more support,ambition,more chance to get to the top of the tree,attract better staff and players among a whole host of other reasons

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1036No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: les-goose "Same reason you would want to be in the top tier of any sport far more support,ambition,more chance to get to the top of the tree,attract better staff and players among a whole host of other reasons'"

Yep very good reasons, but the problem is in our current state most of them are unobtainable, just pipe dreams! I'm sure I speak for everyone on here when I say we can't have another repeat of this season next year, but how do we actually avoid it? We were told we would be competitive this year, that we had a good pre season, mainly because all the signings were here, in place etc, but as we all know it's been the worst season ever probably. Once the dust has settled after the last match, before you know it we will be in October and we will probably only have a handful of players signed for next season, that's without still probably not knowing where we will be playing and what the coaching staff will be! It's gonna be very hard to attract good enough players, maybe over 20 of them, from October to Jan/Feb that will make us competitive in Super League next year, not losing 20 out of 23 matches, which if that happens again we will be down to the bare bones as re. actual number of fans turning up. I realise for whatever reason the players we had on board this year just didn't deliver, why I don't know, and we had to ship some out and make changes, but without being disrespectful, the likes of Howarth, Tansey, Kavanagh, Sio, etc just aren't gonna cut it at this level, and obviously if they do cut it next year if we stay up, then i'll take back what I've just said. Washbrook is now the latest 'proven' SL player to have gone, and he will probably be followed by Godinet, Miller and a few more, they are not world beaters, but like I've already stated, can we find as good as or better replacements in such a short space of time?

I know someone who follows Bradford, goes to most home games, and he's enjoyed this season far more than the last few. He says there's a much better atmosphere around the whole club, he's seeing a decent standard of rugby, his team being competitive, he's genuinely enjoying going to the games, how many of us can truly say it's been like that watching us this season?! To be honest I can't now decide whether it would be beneficial to be in SL next year, not having a crystal ball that's the problem! IF we sign enough quality players that can actually cut it at this level and we at least improve on this year, then obviously I don't want us to go down, but I really can't see how they can start almost from scratch again, with all the off field problems as well. I think more people will be turned off than if we were in the Championship actually winning games and being competitive.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman860
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Jul 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/g24.gif
:Others/g24.gif

As a Hudds fan getting relegated was the best thing that hapoened to the club after four seasons of finishing as wooden spooners. The squad remained full time and we went the entire season without a loss. From that we were propelled back into Superleague more hungry than ever and from that point we've continued to build season on season.
Wakey could do the same, the future might look black right now but it'll get brighter.

RankPostsTeam
International Star6904
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73643_1666630451.jpeg
[img:v6cgff03]http://s26.postimg.org/9xie34xyh/leigh1.png[/img:v6cgff03]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73643.jpeg

Quote: Fifth Tackle "As a Hudds fan getting relegated was the best thing that hapoened to the club after four seasons of finishing as wooden spooners. The squad remained full time and we went the entire season without a loss. From that we were propelled back into Superleague more hungry than ever and from that point we've continued to build season on season.
Wakey could do the same, the future might look black right now but it'll get brighter.'"

One step back,two steps forward..

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5086No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2022Nov 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
14911_1666773367.jpg
[b:3diuzizv][color=#0000FF:3diuzizv]WAKEFIELD[/color:3diuzizv] [color=#FF0000:3diuzizv]TRINITY[/color:3diuzizv] - [color=#FF0000:3diuzizv]The[/color:3diuzizv] [color=#0000FF:3diuzizv]PRIDE[/color:3diuzizv] [color=#FF0000:3diuzizv]of[/color:3diuzizv] [color=#0000FF:3diuzizv]Sporting[/color:3diuzizv] [color=#FF0000:3diuzizv]Wakefield[/color:3diuzizv][/b:3diuzizv] [b:3diuzizv][color=#FF0000:3diuzizv]THE DEFINITION OF INSANITY IS DOING THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS[/color:3diuzizv][/b:3diuzizv]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_14911.jpg

Quote: Fifth Tackle "As a Hudds fan getting relegated was the best thing that hapoened to the club after four seasons of finishing as wooden spooners. The squad remained full time and we went the entire season without a loss. From that we were propelled back into Superleague more hungry than ever and from that point we've continued to build season on season.
Wakey could do the same, the future might look black right now but it'll get brighter.'"

The difference being that you had someone willing to fund a full time squad in the lower division that was probably costing a lot more than you could "afford" on the income you had coming in.
I'm not convinced we have the means or the will to fund a full time squad in the Championship. That makes for a whole different scenario.

RankPostsTeam
International Star974No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2015Aug 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

We've had many near misses at Wakefield but this year, in my opinion really is crunch time.
Not only do we still have no sign of the new ground, we've apparently lost the one last thing we were clinging onto, our home.
We talk of moving elsewhere, if we're in the SL and we have a definite sign of a new ground fine. If we're in the championship and still no progress re a ground then I really do fear the worst.
I feel we will slip into extinction never mind coming up stronger!

RankPostsTeam
International Star3879
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
66815_1344197625.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_66815.jpeg

Trinity need to stay up to retain what fans they've got. A strong run and survival in the Middle 8s will do this and will secure much needed income. We need to drag as many people along to the home and away games.

I've managed to get 7 to the Bradford Bulls game to shout for the red, white and blue. If this can be replicated with other supporters the ground will be packed and hopefully it'll help Trinity players know how much the club means to us and spur them on.

Reference to the quality of the squad I'm not sure that Kavanagh and Sio are not Super League standard players and they should be retained if they also turn up and contribute in the remaining matches. Same for Lee Smith, Jon Molloy and Anthony Walker with the latter needing a full pre-season to get fully fit when he will be even better.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator20852
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha:41119.jpg

I'd always rather be a small fish in a big pond than the other way round.
To just give up and drop down a level is just not sport to me.
If Leigh or Bradford prove they are worthy of our place then so be it.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman860
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Jul 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/g24.gif
:Others/g24.gif

Wouldnt expect that WTW would have to spend more than one season in the Championship, Superleague is a better competition for having them in it.
I was just extolling the virtues of the experience strengthening the club as a whole. The only true negatives that i see are the move to Dewsbury which will severely limit the clubs finances and thus hamper any long term recovery and that should the club not stay full time then squad retention will certainly be an issue.
Full time does not mean huge wage bills if the club is selective in its retention of players allowing WTW to keep a good core of talent and then Bolster the remaining positions with youth players (who'll be part time anyway) and who knows, we may yet see the new batch of Superleagues Superstars.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5086No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2022Nov 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
14911_1666773367.jpg
[b:3diuzizv][color=#0000FF:3diuzizv]WAKEFIELD[/color:3diuzizv] [color=#FF0000:3diuzizv]TRINITY[/color:3diuzizv] - [color=#FF0000:3diuzizv]The[/color:3diuzizv] [color=#0000FF:3diuzizv]PRIDE[/color:3diuzizv] [color=#FF0000:3diuzizv]of[/color:3diuzizv] [color=#0000FF:3diuzizv]Sporting[/color:3diuzizv] [color=#FF0000:3diuzizv]Wakefield[/color:3diuzizv][/b:3diuzizv] [b:3diuzizv][color=#FF0000:3diuzizv]THE DEFINITION OF INSANITY IS DOING THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS[/color:3diuzizv][/b:3diuzizv]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_14911.jpg

Quote: Fifth Tackle "Wouldnt expect that WTW would have to spend more than one season in the Championship, Superleague is a better competition for having them in it.
I was just extolling the virtues of the experience strengthening the club as a whole. The only true negatives that i see are the move to Dewsbury which will severely limit the clubs finances and thus hamper any long term recovery and that should the club not stay full time then squad retention will certainly be an issue.
Full time does not mean huge wage bills if the club is selective in its retention of players allowing WTW to keep a good core of talent and then Bolster the remaining positions with youth players (who'll be part time anyway) and who knows, we may yet see the new batch of Superleagues Superstars.'"

But if we did, they'd all end up at your place, like all our others have.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1036No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The only reason I started this topic was because of my chat with the Bulls fan, it just got me thinking. 99 times out of a 100 I would always say it would be better to be in the highest league possible, for obvious reasons, but......after the season we have had, it would be pretty hard to take if we repeated it next year, which was my point about the time frame of basically putting together a team to avoid this season's disasters! Obviously it's great to welcome the likes of Wigan, Leeds Saints, Warrington, but not so great when they are putting 50, 60 points past us! I just think if that happens again, and in someone elses' ground, we could end up having less fans than if we were at least winning our fair share of games and competing every week. I'm not really sure if we did go down whether it would automatically be the death knell of the club, one thing about MC love him or loathe him, I think he could run the club according to how a Championship club should be run, if that makes sense?! But for how many seasons we could do that before we hopefully returned to SL playing probably out of the Wakefield boundary, i'm not so sure, but like I've already said, if we do stay up it's gonna be very hard to put a competitive SL squad of players together in that amount of time, in order to avoid what we've witnessed this season.

<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

17.90771484375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
just_browny
11m
Tonights match v HKR
just_browny
11m