FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wakefield Trinity > when will the pressure come on to elston?
87 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing
RankPostsTeam
International Star1051No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2012Aug 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

by and large he signed the players, and not his mate the coach. so at what point will mr glover's patience begin to run out.

okay so the above is largely tongue in cheek and inflammatory, but we do need a win! glover has spent a decent amount of brass on the squad and the ground. a win would be brilliant for morale, however the reverse is true and without wins will people start to wonder if their money is being wasted?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1251No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35237_1531749291.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35237.png

Quote: fat faced fan "by and large he signed the players, and not his mate the coach. so at what point will mr glover's patience begin to run out.

okay so the above is largely tongue in cheek and inflammatory, but we do need a win! glover has spent a decent amount of brass on the squad and the ground. a win would be brilliant for morale, however the reverse is true and without wins will people start to wonder if their money is being wasted?'"

I really don't know why people keep saying this. Meeting someone a couple of time's doesn't automatically mean 'mates'. There's other's at the club who know Agar a lot better but will have had no say on his appointment.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member10455
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2597_1613407166.jpg
This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me. WTRLC 2012 to 2014 "The wasted years" Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys" 2013, 2014 & 2015 2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's right foot. 2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 2019 - The return of the Prodigal Son. 2020 - Keeping the faith.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2597.jpg

When Agar goes I would expect Elston to do the honourable thing and follow him.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2217
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19733_1343563234.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_19733.jpg

Quote: ry21 "I really don't know why people keep saying this. Meeting someone a couple of time's doesn't automatically mean 'mates'. There's other's at the club who know Agar a lot better but will have had no say on his appointment.'"

Well if they aren’t mates it makes his appointment even more of a strange decision, considering his relatively poor results at Hull.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

I think everyone needs to be patient, frustrating as the situation currently is.
We have been scraping through every situation thrown at us, ie club survival, franchise, new coach, new team etc and now,basically having 3 years to mould the club and the team, we need to use the time wisely in order to ensure that we are stronger in 3 years time than we are now.
All of us would agree that off field things are improving dramatically and we have an owner that has a plan and keeps his promises.
I think that this season, on the field, will be at the lower end of most fans expectations, but if there is progress over the next couple of seasons then we should be happy.
Progress is the key and as long as we are moving forward thats great.
Obviously, a positive decision on Newmarket will give us a level of stability that our club hasn't seen for many, many years and as fans it is imperative that we support the club, the players and the coach.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1468
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 1970Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Some people I know have reservations about Elston, but given the cards he's been dealt so far, I think he's done a decent job (if the recruitment was indeed largely down to him). We've signed better players (on paper) than I imagined we would get, and whilst the coach was probably no one's first, or even fifth choice, he deserves at least half a season to mould a team before people get on his back. Off the field, whilst there's still plenty to be done, judging by some of the comments on here, we've come a long way in a relatively short period of time. Glover's patience will be governed by how realistic his expectations were in the first place.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator20744
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha:41119.jpg

Quote: fat faced fan "by and large he signed the players, and not his mate the coach. so at what point will mr glover's patience begin to run out.

okay so the above is largely tongue in cheek and inflammatory, but we do need a win! glover has spent a decent amount of brass on the squad and the ground. a win would be brilliant for morale, however the reverse is true and without wins will people start to wonder if their money is being wasted?'"

Many of your posts make me think you know a fair bit about Wakefield and rugby in general but I have to say I find you the most negative and destructive (rather than constructive) character.
Even when tongue in cheek, you generate negativity in others.

I don't think I need to comment further but for me, we haven't been going anywhere near enough time to be blaming anybody for anything.
Elson did a great job in difficult times. What we do from here is a team effort.
Let's wait and see.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13706
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29100_1291104497.jpg
1/10:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_29100.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "I think everyone needs to be patient, frustrating as the situation currently is.
We have been scraping through every situation thrown at us, ie club survival, franchise, new coach, new team etc and now,basically having 3 years to mould the club and the team, we need to use the time wisely in order to ensure that we are stronger in 3 years time than we are now.
All of us would agree that off field things are improving dramatically and we have an owner that has a plan and keeps his promises.
I think that this season, on the field, will be at the lower end of most fans expectations, but if there is progress over the next couple of seasons then we should be happy.
Progress is the key and as long as we are moving forward thats great.
Obviously, a positive decision on Newmarket will give us a level of stability that our club hasn't seen for many, many years and as fans it is imperative that we support the club, the players and the coach.'"

In a nutshell, don't get the knee jerk reactions on here, and thats from someone who wasn't happy about Agar's appointment.

RankPostsTeam
International Star764No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Nov 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52785_1548849647.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_52785.jpg

Think we need to get a grip here folks.

We had to assemble a squad in a very short period of time. We're still looking for a kicker and a big forward. AG and JE have been very upfront and honest about their plans. I just think one or two of us has been overly optimistic regarding our results this season. There is a much bigger picture here, this season was always going to be about building.

RankPostsTeam
International Star808No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2013Aug 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
61486_1316533274.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_61486.jpg

How many games did Kear lose in the last couple of seasons, yet people weren't calling for his head until the back end of last season. We are a few games in, I didn't expect us to be winning week in week out. We have been competing well (not like last year when most of he games were over before H/T) the wins will come with the teams around us, maybe not the Warringtons and Hudds etc. We are by far a better team than Cas which is the main thing.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4961
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2334_1318529805.png
There's Only One F in Wakefield:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2334.png

Yeah at the end of the day, this is just the start of the 3 year plan. This season realistically is to stabilise after all the trauma of recent years. Obviously no one wants to see us getting beat every week but I'm confident that we will grow into the season.

We've been competitive in all the games so far, and if a couple of key moments had gone the other way in several of the games, then we'd deffo have more points on the board. We are just tiring against all the bigger packs after 60-65 mins and its costing us dear.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach563
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19784.gif
:19784.gif

Here's an idea. Stop being so negative.

Have we not been entertained in the 5 yes FIVE games we have had so far? The team are showing far more imagination than we have in the past 4 years for goodness sake, and with a bit more composure we could quite easily have won each game we have played in. Players like Lauititi and Smith are working their s off to make things happen and there in forms part of the problem. If they settle down a bit we may stop doing the silly things and start doing the sensible things. Chancing our arm on tackle 1 is a very high risk strategy. Ali didn't used to do it at Leeds, and maybe now he's with us he feels he's the main man and has to make things happen. But sometimes less is more, and that for me is the difference between a win and a loss at the moment.

Add to that the fact that Southern is not a prop. How can he be taking stick for working his nuts off? Is that fair? Same for Smith. If it weren't for some great last ditch tackles by a very good Shudds team on Sunday, we would be singing his praises for laying on a few tries with some very good passes. The first half in particular he was trying everything to get us over that line. His tackling was poor at times but again, you can't fault the blokes efforts.

One of the things I did notice on Sunday is the cries of despair from the crowd on nearly every play. We're not going to just plop over the line, and the negative groans are hardly helpful. I do wonder who some people think they're watching at times.

I didn't want Agar as coach, but for christ sake we're 5 games into a 27 game season.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1051No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2012Aug 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

nobody is calling for anyone's head. get a grip people. however chairmen (or investors if you like) always like to see progress towards their long term goals and are notorious for getting edgy when games are not being won. we still know very little about andrew glover, and the depth of his pockets, but more importantly his emotional stake in wakefield trinity. how long will he be flattered by the thrill and attention of being the main backer of a club which loses every week?

we've now lost four on the spin, all of which were winnable (i fail to see what huddersfield have except brough and a hell of a lot of structure and supreme self belief and confidence) which almost certainly this will be up to five by sunday evening. even in a three year plan, this is tough to swallow. i think the club have been very smart with the membership scheme and engaging with us all as this should help sustain crowds and keep a lid on most of the flak that would come the club's way should our run of form continue.

personally i think elston has set himself up for a fall by doing all the signings, then choosing a coach with a limited amount of creditable achievement on his cv.

all in all it's frustrating. i can see some very positive things happening in the club, but for the more flakey of fans (not the ones that are likley to read messageboards and be really engaged emotionally with the club) who we need to attract to be loyal supported in long term results and style of play matter an awful lot.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: fat faced fan "nobody is calling for anyone's head. get a grip people. however chairmen (or investors if you like) always like to see progress towards their long term goals and are notorious for getting edgy when games are not being won. we still know very little about andrew glover, and the depth of his pockets, but more importantly his emotional stake in wakefield trinity. how long will he be flattered by the thrill and attention of being the main backer of a club which loses every week?

we've now lost four on the spin, all of which were winnable (i fail to see what huddersfield have except brough and a hell of a lot of structure and supreme self belief and confidence) which almost certainly this will be up to five by sunday evening. even in a three year plan, this is tough to swallow. i think the club have been very smart with the membership scheme and engaging with us all as this should help sustain crowds and keep a lid on most of the flak that would come the club's way should our run of form continue.

personally i think elston has set himself up for a fall by doing all the signings, then choosing a coach with a limited amount of creditable achievement on his cv.

all in all it's frustrating. i can see some very positive things happening in the club, but for the more flakey of fans (not the ones that are likley to read messageboards and be really engaged emotionally with the club) who we need to attract to be loyal supported in long term results and style of play matter an awful lot.'"

Although, not directly, you are having a "pop" at JE and this is totally out of order.

Two questions.
What choice did he have (bearing in mind the time it took to secure Mr Agars signature) ?
Where, honestly, did you expect us to be at this point in time ?

RankPostsTeam
International Star1051No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2012Aug 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wrencat1873 "Although, not directly, you are having a "pop" at JE and this is totally out of order.

Two questions.
What choice did he have (bearing in mind the time it took to secure Mr Agars signature) ?
Where, honestly, did you expect us to be at this point in time ?'"

i'm not having a pop. i'm merely trying to analyse the situation as an outsider. if that's taking a pop in your mind then so be it. i think that elston has left himself wide open for the future wrath of a dissapointed owner. an even higher risk strategy when one considers that his mrs works at the club too.

i don't know what choice he had, but some of the signings we made were and remain questionable. what counsel did he take from others with regard to the players he signed? andrew glover is new to rugby league, so how much sense check could he apply to the advice on signings that elston was giving him?

why did the club fanny about for so long before appointing a head coach?

in terms of where we are, we're actually where i thought we'd be (although i would have expected us to have 4-6 points by now and not 2 given our easy fixture run), but i'm dissapointed we don't have the resolve and mental toughness to finish off games from winnable positions. sure, some if this is down to us being a new squad and i accept and promote that theory wholeheartedly.

give it a few weeks and the nutters on the terraces will start to lose patience with agar, if we don't start picking points up, it's then not much of a leap of faith to suggest somebody will shout and swear at glover. i feel that pretty much all the readers/posters on here "get it" in that it's a long term plan, but we need a few gutsy wins to win over our casual turn up fans.

87 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
87 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.14794921875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC