FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wakefield Trinity > Totally off topic but........
299 posts in 21 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing
RankPostsTeam
International Star15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50722.jpg

I'm interested to see Gove suggest that upon Brexit, they'll cut VAT on energy bills - saving the average family a massive 60 quid a year.

That's about the 8th or 9th thing I've seen them promise to spend the so-called savings resulting from Brexit on; I believe it already adds up to several times the value of the contributions.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1041No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I hope the rhetoric changes over the next 2 weeks to include a bit more reality.
The Albanians arriving will not help the remain cause one iota. I see Boris and Gove want to introduce an Australian points system.
I like that idea but how does it work if they are not the government? Presumably Cameron just stands to one side and lets them take over?
any ideas?

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Manuel "I hope the rhetoric changes over the next 2 weeks to include a bit more reality.
The Albanians arriving will not help the remain cause one iota. I see Boris and Gove want to introduce an Australian points system.
I like that idea but how does it work if they are not the government? Presumably Cameron just stands to one side and lets them take over?
any ideas?'"

If Britain votes for Exit, Cameron's position will immediately become untenable and I presume there would have to be a general election.

What would be great, but it isn't going to happen, would be a little more of the truth from both sides.
I know that politicians are famous for not keeping their promises, once they are elected but, the utter lies and deceit (from both sides) during this "campaign" has been a poor advert for democracy.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain543
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20169 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Sep 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The most disappointing thing about the lead up to the referendum is how it has become a vehicle by which the Tory party aim to define the political direction in which they are heading long term.The media have been irresponsible in their over indulgence in the Boris v Cameron contest. Furthermore there are those who will not vote remain as they despise Cameron.There are those who are not capable of divorcing the personalities from the actual issues. The Labour Party have been negligent in allowing the whole situation to be hijacked and not entering wholeheartedly into the debate.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain903
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74356_1721602612.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74356.jpg

Quote: thebeagle "The most disappointing thing about the lead up to the referendum is how it has become a vehicle by which the Tory party aim to define the political direction in which they are heading long term.The media have been irresponsible in their over indulgence in the Boris v Cameron contest. Furthermore there are those who will not vote remain as they despise Cameron.There are those who are not capable of divorcing the personalities from the actual issues. The Labour Party have been negligent in allowing the whole situation to be hijacked and not entering wholeheartedly into the debate.'"

Could that be because the current Labour leader was until very,very recently anti EU, and it wasn't many years ago the Labour Party itself were also not fully supportive of the UK being a member. Jeremy Corbyn seems to have changed his tune and has suddenly become pro EU since he was elected leader of the Labour Party.

RankPostsTeam
International Star15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "the utter lies and deceit (from both sides) during this "campaign" has been a poor advert for democracy.'"

I wouldn't disagree - it's been a very negative campaign from both sides, with the Brexiters going full UKIP, and the Remainers resorting to prophesies of WW3.

None of it is helped by the brazen Tory bias of the BBC News team - and when you look at the backgrounds of the people involved (Laura Kuenssberg, Andrew Neil, Robbie Gibb et al) it's no surprise; they're packed to the rafters with well-connected Conservatives, and their agenda is clear; never more so than their total failure to report on the election expenses scandal, which a HC Judge has just described as so extensive, that it could void the last general election.

No matter what happens with the EU referendum, the Tories are in a mess; and Labour are tearing themselves apart as the politicians try desperately to undo the overwhelming mandate given to Corbyn by the membership. Interesting times!

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3660
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/eye6.gif
:Others/eye6.gif

So the big day is tomorrow.

Are we out or are we in.

I think I am out, but not sure of the impact it would have on expats living and working abroad.

I have also heard that it will affect the policy for the signing of foreign players, and this will affect our great game.

Any more thoughts

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain903
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74356_1721602612.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74356.jpg

Quote: Kevs Head "The Commission is unelected but it doesn't make laws. Elected MEPs consider the Commission,s recommendations and vote accordingly. Turkey has to satisfy something like 30 conditions for entry. So far, after 10 years negotiation, they've satisfied precisely one! It's not going to happen soon. And, do you think the UK would vote to admit Turkey?'"

you obviously haven't seen the news yesterday coming out of Turkey. we, the UK already have special advisors working in Turkey helping them with the application to join the EU. eusa_naughty.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member10460
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2597_1613407166.jpg
This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me. WTRLC 2012 to 2014 "The wasted years" Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys" 2013, 2014 & 2015 2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's right foot. 2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 2019 - The return of the Prodigal Son. 2020 - Keeping the faith.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2597.jpg

Since this topic was originally kicked off several weeks ago I think there's been quite a national swing towards the leave option. At my place of work I would reckon that about 90% are leave.
Don't think the Mayor of London did the stay campaign any good at all in the debate last night either.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: KevW60349 "you obviously haven't seen the news yesterday coming out of Turkey. we, the UK already have special advisors working in Turkey helping them with the application to join the EU.
With 1 "chapter" complete and another 40 (ish) to go, I think that it might take a while and ALL of the other countries have a veto on this.
Plus, IF they were able to meet all of the necessary criteria, should they be allowed to join.
We were at War with Germany 77 years ago and pointing nuclear weapons at some of the other member states as recently as the 1980's. Surely where we are now is a better situation.
At least we are talking to our closet neighbors, rather than trying to kill each other.
Under any measure, that is significant progress !

RankPostsTeam
International Star15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg

Quote: KevW60349 "you obviously haven't seen the news yesterday coming out of Turkey. we, the UK already have special advisors working in Turkey helping them with the application to join the EU.
They've been working on it for 10 years - and have managed to complete one element of the 30 or so they would have to complete before being able to apply; then every other country has a veto on the application. You've been suckered by Johnson and Farage if you believe that Turkey will join the EU in your lifetime.

Meanwhile - of course the government has to be seen to be supporting their accession; how else to persuade them to improve their dreadful record on human rights, free speech etc?

The idea that million of Turks are lining up to come to the UK is part of the xenophobic rhetoric that the UKIP/Leave campaign have created to support their argument; it's simply a lie, as is the £360 million a week contribution they talked about, and the suggestion that they would use any net saving to fund the NHS - these are politicians who voted for the bedroom tax, the year on year reduction in public sector wages and the swingeing cuts to Health & Social Care budgets for local authorities - and now we are asked to believe that they'll shower the NHS with money; and where exactly will that money come from, when we're in a recession caused by Brexit?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator20761
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha:41119.jpg

Quote: Wollo-Wollo-Wollo-Wayoo "Since this topic was originally kicked off several weeks ago I think there's been quite a national swing towards the leave option. At my place of work I would reckon that about 90% are leave.
Don't think the Mayor of London did the stay campaign any good at all in the debate last night either.'"

That's funny cos I reckon it's a big swing to the remain campaign where I am.
The don't know group seem to be in the do no harm group and stay as we are.

The bookies are saying it is remain too.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator20761
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha:41119.jpg

Quote: bren2k "They've been working on it for 10 years - and have managed to complete one element of the 30 or so they would have to complete before being able to apply; then every other country has a veto on the application. You've been suckered by Johnson and Farage if you believe that Turkey will join the EU in your lifetime.

Meanwhile - of course the government has to be seen to be supporting their accession; how else to persuade them to improve their dreadful record on human rights, free speech etc?

The idea that million of Turks are lining up to come to the UK is part of the xenophobic rhetoric that the UKIP/Leave campaign have created to support their argument; it's simply a lie, as is the £360 million a week contribution they talked about, and the suggestion that they would use any net saving to fund the NHS - these are politicians who voted for the bedroom tax, the year on year reduction in public sector wages and the swingeing cuts to Health & Social Care budgets for local authorities - and now we are asked to believe that they'll shower the NHS with money; and where exactly will that money come from, when we're in a recession caused by Brexit?'"

I would also say that the Brexit group have no one in their party that can promise anything. None of them lead a party that could be in power to make the decisions they promise if we leave EU.
Only Boris is a possible and he would need to win a leadership vote that is not even on yet. If Cameron stands down he would have to campaign for leadership of Conservatives and then go on and win the next election as well.
By then we will have seen the economy take a dip even if they are right in the long term, so I doubt he'd get in. It will take a long time to leave. We won't be out on Friday if the vote goes that way.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: PopTart "That's funny cos I reckon it's a big swing to the remain campaign where I am.
The don't know group seem to be in the do no harm group and stay as we are.

The bookies are saying it is remain too.'"

The betting odds are:

2/9 remain
3/1 exit

Much more of a difference than one may have expected

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1080No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

My final thoughts on the issue;
Immigration - It's a fact of life: we need immigrants in this country. Immigrants contribute more than they cost and, for me at least, the country is a more interesting place for their presence. Most "ordinary" brexiters argue that immigration is a problem because there are too many in the country. The Leave campaign however argues that immigration is necessary but needs to be controlled. But what they refuse to say is how many immigrants they will allow in to the country. So, if we leave, those people who voted for Brexit because they think there are too many foreigners may well end up being very surprised to find that there are even more immigrants than before. Not quite what they w ere expecting
The economy - I'm no economist so I have to take the word of the hundreds of economists and business people who say the economy will suffer if we leave. I know there are a few who say the opposite but, if I were on 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire' and I'd asked the audience, I'd probably go with that very large majority. Of course, Gove says don't listen to experts, they're wrong and I'm right, but that's exactly how he approached his job as SoS for Education and look how well that's working out!
Michael Gove - He's a complete prick and a liar. If he says Leave that's a good enough reason to vote Remain
Security - The head of NATO has just come out and said the security of Europe will be weakened if we leave. As regards terrorism - it doesn't respect borders and we have to cooperate with other countries to combat the threat. Our borders are already secure - you need a passport to enter the UK - we don't need to take control of the borders. As far as I know, the only foreign politicians who think it's a good idea to Brexit are Trump, Marine le Pen and Putin - see my comment re Gove!!!
Environment - Like terrorism, pollution doesn't respect borders - we need to work together to combat climate change
Turkey - I know it's government policy to get them in but only if they satisfy all the conditions. It's not going to happen anytime soon and if it were put forward I would suggest that any UK govt that didn't veto it would be out on its pretty quickly.
There are loads of other reasons to Remain but, if anybody's still undecided, just consider that the Leavers have not been able to give ANY detail of what life after Brexit would be like. They just tell us to trust them, it'll all be ok. They say that remain is Project Fear. I say that Leave is Project Pie in the Sky. Don't risk it. VOTE REMAIN.

299 posts in 21 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
299 posts in 21 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.501953125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
bulls on Sunday
Bully_Boxer
6m
Squad for London
MorePlaymake
6m