FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wakefield Trinity > Time for reality ?
60 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1036No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wrencat1873 "As a Trinity fan, you know what you're getting.
A mid to lower end table club that generally battles through, regardless of the adversity and obstacles thrown in our path.
You're right about it hurting but, pain is something that you sign up for when picking Trinity as your club.
Despite the moans and groans on here, which is pretty much all because the fans want the club to be better, the Trinity fans have backed the club all season, with the vast majority sacrificing the cost of season tickets and signing up for the lottery and squad builder, Trinity TV etc.

The op asks about "time for reality", which at the moment is all about the club, along with plenty of others, trying to survive, so that we still have a club to support when things improve out in the big wide world.

Given the choice of a struggling club or no club, Ill stick with the struggling one all day long and am happy to renew S/T and buy the merchandise etc, etc.

Things will get better and we all want to be around when they are.

Up the Trin !'"

I do get what you're saying, you do need skin thicker than a rhino at times!! I guess there was an inevitability that after two great seasons we would revert to type and back to a struggle......but, why does it have to be that way? I was watching a thing this morning about Exeter Chiefs and their rise to fame since being promoted a decade ago. Later today they could be crowned the best team in Europe, they are a dominant force and have broken the stranglehold of the more 'traditional' big hitters in Union, Leicester, Bath, and Saracens, who obviously cheated their way to the top. I'm not that keen on Union, but I do watch some games, and I found their story interesting.

Look at Leicester in football, since winning the Premier league, they have hardly fallen down a great big hole have they?? They look at least like they are a regular top 4 contender, and could easily win a trophy in the next few years. I think Chairmen of all sporting clubs should tap into other sports, and try to apply some of what made them successful and flourish. Obviously money plays a big part, we all know that, but Salford are an example in our sport. They tried to buy success under Koukash and got nowhere, they are in a better place now than when he was there, although I obviously don't know all the ins and outs of their financial situation, on the field they have done remarkably well and I bet their fans are happy he has gone. It's all about making the right decisions at the right time as re. recruitment, and having foresight and taking chances, maybe thinking outside the box, and a bit of luck.

With the examples I have given, it can be done, you just get a feeling with us, we are like a cat who's had it's nine lives, but who knows, we always seem to get out of any mess we find ourselves in...... icon_confused.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Wildmoggy "I do get what you're saying, you do need skin thicker than a rhino at times!! I guess there was an inevitability that after two great seasons we would revert to type and back to a struggle......but, why does it have to be that way? I was watching a thing this morning about Exeter Chiefs and their rise to fame since being promoted a decade ago. Later today they could be crowned the best team in Europe, they are a dominant force and have broken the stranglehold of the more 'traditional' big hitters in Union, Leicester, Bath, and Saracens, who obviously cheated their way to the top. I'm not that keen on Union, but I do watch some games, and I found their story interesting.

Look at Leicester in football, since winning the Premier league, they have hardly fallen down a great big hole have they?? They look at least like they are a regular top 4 contender, and could easily win a trophy in the next few years. I think Chairmen of all sporting clubs should tap into other sports, and try to apply some of what made them successful and flourish. Obviously money plays a big part, we all know that, but Salford are an example in our sport. They tried to buy success under Koukash and got nowhere, they are in a better place now than when he was there, although I obviously don't know all the ins and outs of their financial situation, on the field they have done remarkably well and I bet their fans are happy he has gone. It's all about making the right decisions at the right time as re. recruitment, and having foresight and taking chances, maybe thinking outside the box, and a bit of luck.

With the examples I have given, it can be done, you just get a feeling with us, we are like a cat who's had it's nine lives, but who knows, we always seem to get out of any mess we find ourselves in......
Exeter Chiefs and Leicester to a lesser extent, have one thing in their favour, money and plenty of it.
The point that I was trying to make is that, I'd rather have a badly performing side but for the club to survive, than no club at all.
I dread to think of how the finances are this season and more importantly, how on earth the club generate enough income to get through to next season.
Will we have to off load our few star players, just to get through, can we even get through next season.

Getting paying spectators through the turnstiles seems further away now than it did in March / April and financially, next season could be tougher than this.
Much as we would all like to see some "big" signings, getting through is all that matters at the moment and for all Chester's faults, he will have had THE most difficult time of his RL life in just trying to field a decent side every week
The fans are sure to be "tested" further before things start to improve but, count me in.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1036No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wrencat1873 "Exeter Chiefs and Leicester to a lesser extent, have one thing in their favour, money and plenty of it.
The point that I was trying to make is that, I'd rather have a badly performing side but for the club to survive, than no club at all.
I dread to think of how the finances are this season and more importantly, how on earth the club generate enough income to get through to next season.
Will we have to off load our few star players, just to get through, can we even get through next season.

Getting paying spectators through the turnstiles seems further away now than it did in March / April and financially, next season could be tougher than this.
Much as we would all like to see some "big" signings, getting through is all that matters at the moment and for all Chester's faults, he will have had THE most difficult time of his RL life in just trying to field a decent side every week
The fans are sure to be "tested" further before things start to improve but, count me in.'"

Yeah but your post starts off with, as a trin fan we know what we are getting? Our having the odd decent season in every 8 or 9 is what i'm saying, why does it always have to be that way? Why haven't we kicked on since 2017 & 2018?! Probably down to poor decision making by whoever has been in charge! Warrington have thrown bucket loads of money at getting a team to win the league, they signed Andrew Johns way back in 2005, since then they still haven't won the league, either finishing top or winning a G/F. Sure they have been to Wembley, but they haven't been champions since the 50's!! Being successful in sport is not all about money, it's both a blessing and a curse, as in life too!!

RankPostsTeam
International Star5613
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Wildmoggy "Yeah but your post starts off with, as a trin fan we know what we are getting? Our having the odd decent season in every 8 or 9 is what i'm saying, why does it always have to be that way? Why haven't we kicked on since 2017 & 2018?! Probably down to poor decision making by whoever has been in charge! Warrington have thrown bucket loads of money at getting a team to win the league, they signed Andrew Johns way back in 2005, since then they still haven't won the league, either finishing top or winning a G/F. Sure they have been to Wembley, but they haven't been champions since the 50's!! Being successful in sport is not all about money, it's both a blessing and a curse, as in life too!!'"

Very sensible and realistic post Wildmoggy.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator20847
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha:41119.jpg

Quote: Wildmoggy "Yeah but your post starts off with, as a trin fan we know what we are getting? Our having the odd decent season in every 8 or 9 is what i'm saying, why does it always have to be that way? Why haven't we kicked on since 2017 & 2018?! Probably down to poor decision making by whoever has been in charge! Warrington have thrown bucket loads of money at getting a team to win the league, they signed Andrew Johns way back in 2005, since then they still haven't won the league, either finishing top or winning a G/F. Sure they have been to Wembley, but they haven't been champions since the 50's!! Being successful in sport is not all about money, it's both a blessing and a curse, as in life too!!'"

But before the money they had no success at all.
So I think your post still shows that money made the difference. It took them to Wembley and meant they could keep competing at the top. And also meant they could develop the supporter base.
When they make bad decisions they just forget and replace. When we make them it sets us back a year or more before we recover..... Hence the good seasons mixed with struggles.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2116No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76816_1582258482.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76816.jpeg

Quote: wrencat1873 "Exeter Chiefs and Leicester to a lesser extent, have one thing in their favour, money and plenty of it.

The fans are sure to be "tested" further before things start to improve but, count me in.'"

Wrencat the club won’t survive long term if they carry on Going down this road, they will struggle to attract quality signings which will equate to lower crowd and a slow lingering demise of the club that we know and love. How do you sell a club to players and fans and more importantly sponsors alike by saying (we won’t win many games and forget all about any cup runs.) Its starts by having a big shake up and a positive mindset, something which for whatever reason is sadly missing at this moment in time.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Kettykat "Wrencat the club won’t survive long term if they carry on Going down this road, they will struggle to attract quality signings which will equate to lower crowd and a slow lingering demise of the club that we know and love. How do you sell a club to players and fans and more importantly sponsors alike by saying (we won’t win many games and forget all about any cup runs.) Its starts by having a big shake up and a positive mindset, something which for whatever reason is sadly missing at this moment in time.'"

I agree with you.

Clearly, if they carry on losing, it's relegation and oblivion (probably).
My comments are more to do with the battle that ALL businesses currently have, just to survive.
Perhaps, replacing the Coach isn't the top of the list of priorities right now.

You may remember how ruthless Carter and Brereton were when they first took over. Selling a player every week just to cover the bills, with all of our better players (apart from Kirmo) leaving, just to keep us afloat.
Call me a doom monger but, the longer that the game goes on without fans coming through the turnstiles, the closer that Trinity and others may come to a similar scenario.
Everyone will have been hoping for fans to return, long before the new season starts but, this looks pretty unlikely at the moment.
Pro RL ultimately is part of the leisure industry and there are and will be all sorts of challenges in the close season and for the club (and all clubs) staying alive will be the biggest one of those challenges.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain853No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2022Dec 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

There are some great postings here on reality, but most seem to have missed the point on revenue, again, can you expect the same
Number of supporters to renew their season tickets when they cannot see live games @ Belle vue, then they consider the team Cannot win games, they will be bottom & relegated, Carter cannot therefore finance quality player's & why would quality players
Play at a struggling club with poor attitude, poor fitness, & unwilling to learn + improve. ??
This is the reality of the situation no matter how people want to believe other wise !!
Until reality is noted, you cannot expect changes, but again, money = revenue, we are in a very poor situation !!

RankPostsTeam
International Star5052
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72289_1398805144.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_72289.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "I agree with you.

Clearly, if they carry on losing, it's relegation and oblivion (probably).
My comments are more to do with the battle that ALL businesses currently have, just to survive.
Perhaps, replacing the Coach isn't the top of the list of priorities right now.

You may remember how ruthless Carter and Brereton were when they first took over. Selling a player every week just to cover the bills, with all of our better players (apart from Kirmo) leaving, just to keep us afloat.
Call me a doom monger but, the longer that the game goes on without fans coming through the turnstiles, the closer that Trinity and others may come to a similar scenario.
Everyone will have been hoping for fans to return, long before the new season starts but, this looks pretty unlikely at the moment.
Pro RL ultimately is part of the leisure industry and there are and will be all sorts of challenges in the close season and for the club (and all clubs) staying alive will be the biggest one of those challenges.'"

I think fans need to understand why Carter & Brereton took over the club and stop projecting their own love for the club and the game on them, Carter in particular.

Having invested a couple of hundred grand each into the club they were forced into a choice, let the club go into Administration and lose your money or take over the club! Make no mistake they both only wanted their money out but happily for Trinity fans that meant saving the club! There’s nothing wrong with their motives or reasons but let’s not get confused with why they stepped in.

Carter then found some gratification in the praise he received and he’s revelled in it at every opportunity. Do you really and honestly believe he was trying to shovel the snow off the lines during the Widnes blizzard? I can tell you 100% that had it not been in front of a packed hospitality block with a camera at the ready he wouldn’t have been anywhere near a shovel or snow.

He’s been good at stabilising our finances, maybe too good but don’t mistake him for a fan like you are, he isn’t

RankPostsTeam
Moderator20847
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha:41119.jpg

Quote: The Avenger "I think fans need to understand why Carter & Brereton took over the club and stop projecting their own love for the club and the game on them, Carter in particular.

Having invested a couple of hundred grand each into the club they were forced into a choice, let the club go into Administration and lose your money or take over the club! Make no mistake they both only wanted their money out but happily for Trinity fans that meant saving the club! There’s nothing wrong with their motives or reasons but let’s not get confused with why they stepped in.

Carter then found some gratification in the praise he received and he’s revelled in it at every opportunity. Do you really and honestly believe he was trying to shovel the snow off the lines during the Widnes blizzard? I can tell you 100% that had it not been in front of a packed hospitality block with a camera at the ready he wouldn’t have been anywhere near a shovel or snow.

He’s been good at stabilising our finances, maybe too good but don’t mistake him for a fan like you are, he isn’t'"

How dare he go out and shovel snow off the field when it was actually too cold to even sit and watch.
He works his booty off for this club. Your bitter opinion does not change that.
I actually don't care if he does love the attention. Don't blame him.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3070
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76901_1662991480.jpg
We're all Trin aren't we?:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76901.jpg

Quote: Big lads mate "Wear mine too and from the gym and when I’m in there, which is most days, wondered why every body was laughing
No surprises there then BLM...... icon_rolleyes.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: The Avenger "I think fans need to understand why Carter & Brereton took over the club and stop projecting their own love for the club and the game on them, Carter in particular.

He’s been good at stabilising our finances, maybe too good but don’t mistake him for a fan like you are, he isn’t'"

A bit disingenuous there Avenger.

Do you think that Trinity have been a net gain for MC or, do you think that the club has cost him money ?
Also, I've personally been to enough events and other stuff at BV to see the guy doing stuff that very few club chairmen would do.
Yes, he was shoveling snow, working behind the bar, attending fans forums and all of that while digging into his own pocket.
There weren't too many takers for buying the club for a quid when he offered it ??
Regardless of whether his motives were to try and recoup his investment, but for him, the club would have been gone so, hoe DOES deserve some gratitude.

Although many fans think that he shows too much loyalty to the coach, maybe that's not such a bad thing and maybe the fans are just a bit too quick (including myself) when losing patience with the coach.

Leeds are looking good with two of our former coaches in charge.

Having said that, you do wonder just how many games we have to lose, before MC and Minards feel that we need a change.

For me, just like John Kear, MC has enough "credit" with Trinity to be beyond reproach

I can remember buying a couple of pints, which he served and joking that I couldn't imagine Roman Abramovich serving behind the bar at his club, can you.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5052
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72289_1398805144.jpg

Quote: PopTart "How dare he go out and shovel snow off the field when it was actually too cold to even sit and watch.
He works his booty off for this club. Your bitter opinion does not change that.
I actually don't care if he does love the attention. Don't blame him.'"

He did it for a photo shoot and nothing more, you can be as blindly loyal as you like but it doesn’t change that.

Bitter about what?

What have I blamed him for???

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: The Avenger "He did it for a photo shoot and nothing more, you can be as blindly loyal as you like but it doesn’t change that.

Bitter about what?

What have I blamed him for???'"

That's not true

He was there shoveling snow in the morning, along with around 50ish fans and thanked those who had given up their time to get the game on

RankPostsTeam
International Star5052
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72289_1398805144.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "That's not true

He was there shoveling snow in the morning, along with around 50ish fans and thanked those who had given up their time to get the game on'"

I’m not talking about that which was a genuine attempt to get the game on. I’m talking about his famous picture stood on his own immediately in front of the hospitality block pretending to shovel snow off the line which was nothing but pure opportunism meant for the fans.

60 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
60 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.67919921875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
3m
BORED The Band Name Game
Cokey
4m