FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wakefield Trinity > when will the pressure come on to elston?
87 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4473No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
42181_1527427546.jpg
"I'm sorry, but I would hope that we would beat Cas with a 1 day turnaround." An arrogant Wigan fan a few days before we stuffed them 18-4 at the JJB.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_42181.jpg

Quote: Trinitythefuture "How many games did Kear lose in the last couple of seasons, yet people weren't calling for his head until the back end of last season. We are a few games in, I didn't expect us to be winning week in week out. We have been competing well (not like last year when most of he games were over before H/T) the wins will come with the teams around us, maybe not the Warringtons and Hudds etc. We are by far a better team than Cas which is the main thing.'"

Hahaha why is that the main thing? Sums up some of your "fans" mentality if you genuinely believe having a better team then Cas is the "main thing" and even that is very subjective 6 weeks into the new season.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Towns88 "Hahaha why is that the main thing? Sums up some of your "fans" mentality if you genuinely believe having a better team then Cas is the "main thing" and even that is very subjective 6 weeks into the new season.'"

I think its more a case of realising where we are. The league is almost in 2 halves

Warrington
Wigan
Leeds
Hudds
Saints
Catalan
Hull fc
Hull kr

Bradford
Wakey
Cas
London
Salford
Widnes

The best that Cas or Wakey will get this year is to be 9th (8h with a really good run), so on that basis, yes we do want to beat Cas, along with all the other teams in this section, although, as you know from last Sunda, this isn't straight forward.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator20744
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha:41119.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "Although, not directly, you are having a "pop" at JE and this is totally out of order.

Two questions.
What choice did he have (bearing in mind the time it took to secure Mr Agars signature) ?
Where, honestly, did you expect us to be at this point in time ?'"

Exactly

You've talked about having "spine" before FFF but you are hiding behind what Glover "might" do. Say what YOU feel. If you were in change would Elston be out of line or up for the chop or not? That way we can either agree or disagree.
Admittedly you may be doing it tongue in cheek but it isn't helping and you just back off when questioned and say it is just a question and plead innocence. I think you are better than that.

In my opinion Elston's benefit to the club goes far beyond the playing side of things, so Glover will not get rid no matter what happens on the field.
On the field - I think he has signed some great players, without a coach to direct his focus.
I can't think of anyone available last year that I would prefer to Southern and Lauititi. I think they were Elston signings.
He also saw something I didn't by signing Kirmond and Raleigh.
Added to that getting Smith when others were keen and spotting John.....I'm happy with his work.

From Agar point of view. Many criticised him going for Aiton and Wood when we already had hookers. In my opinion, he knew better. Both have been outstanding.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator20744
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha:41119.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "I think its more a case of realising where we are. The league is almost in 2 halves

Warrington
Wigan
Leeds
Hudds
Saints
Catalan
Hull fc
Hull kr

Bradford
Wakey
Cas
London
Salford
Widnes

The best that Cas or Wakey will get this year is to be 9th (8h with a really good run), so on that basis, yes we do want to beat Cas, along with all the other teams in this section, although, as you know from last Sunda, this isn't straight forward.'"

I agree, though not sure where I'd put Hull KR or Bradford.
The thing is, the difference between coming at the top of the second group or the bottom is a few points. So yes, its important to win the games we have been losing so far, but it doesn't matter when you win them. When we click, and i think we will, we could easily go on a good run beating all those teams in our section and giving the others a good go.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1780No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Apr 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

5 games in and lets look how the side have done Widnes 1 win,KR bit of luck could have gone our way,Bulls by far the better side in the 1st half silly penaltys the down fall in the second and not covering Jefferies.Hull awful conditions defending most of the game but a narrow loss.Shudds no one let the side down and didnt get mullered.The 3 early games that would show where the side sat was going to be Shudds,Wire and cats.Rome wasnt built in a day as the saying goes when it clicks I can see someone on the wrong end of a thrashing.Might need a tweak here or there but lets keep the faith.We need to make home games a vocal fortress and get behind the players not on the backs of players.The need to get behind the players and give them a boost is paramount come on get behind them sing shout and will them on.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4473No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
42181_1527427546.jpg
"I'm sorry, but I would hope that we would beat Cas with a 1 day turnaround." An arrogant Wigan fan a few days before we stuffed them 18-4 at the JJB.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_42181.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "I think its more a case of realising where we are. The league is almost in 2 halves

Warrington
Wigan
Leeds
Hudds
Saints
Catalan
Hull fc
Hull kr

Bradford
Wakey
Cas
London
Salford
Widnes

The best that Cas or Wakey will get this year is to be 9th (8h with a really good run), so on that basis, yes we do want to beat Cas, along with all the other teams in this section, although, as you know from last Sunda, this isn't straight forward.'"

Realistically I think 10th is the best either team will achieve.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1051No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2012Aug 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: PopTart "Exactly

You've talked about having "spine" before FFF but you are hiding behind what Glover "might" do. Say what YOU feel. If you were in change would Elston be out of line or up for the chop or not? That way we can either agree or disagree.
Admittedly you may be doing it tongue in cheek but it isn't helping and you just back off when questioned and say it is just a question and plead innocence. I think you are better than that.

In my opinion Elston's benefit to the club goes far beyond the playing side of things, so Glover will not get rid no matter what happens on the field.
On the field - I think he has signed some great players, without a coach to direct his focus.
I can't think of anyone available last year that I would prefer to Southern and Lauititi. I think they were Elston signings.
He also saw something I didn't by signing Kirmond and Raleigh.
Added to that getting Smith when others were keen and spotting John.....I'm happy with his work.

From Agar point of view. Many criticised him going for Aiton and Wood when we already had hookers. In my opinion, he knew better. Both have been outstanding.'"

well “might” is all we have to go on at the moment. in answer to you elston would certainly be in the line up and not chopped at the moment if i were glover. we remain a low cost and low revenue club at the moment, if it were my club, i be thinking that as we seek to grow and prosper i’d be looking at moving elston into a different position within the club as he has value to offer, but i wouldn’t have him in as the head man. again, i’m saying this from the outside, but he has very little in the way of qualifications or experience to be the ceo of a business of this size. he’s an ex- semi-pro player with more grey matter than most that worked his way up the pyramid in the same manner as francis “daft as a brush” stephenson did in his time. it’s a mark of how tight money is in the game that davide longo was offered the top job at featherstone.

you say my posts don’t help? it's not my job to help. i do think that it's better that we all think about the future; employees/players come and go. supporters like you and i do not.

i want exactly what you want; a strong stable trinity both now and in the future, the best possible outcome is that agar succeeds and that elston grows into being a true leader at the club. i too really like aiton and wood, but this is a great point, isn’t the flip side that glover is wasting money by paying the salary of ellis because agar and elston weren’t singing from the same hymn sheet despite the fact we already knew he was going to get the gig?

if it all starts going wrong for agar, he will have a natural defence when glover fires into him: jimmy signed my squad! here’s the risk that jimmy has run, i think he’s paid well over the odds for mellars and ellis to name but two, the budgets been spent and we’re 1-2 props light etc…

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1595No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17238.jpg
:17238.jpg

Quote: Towns88 "Hahaha why is that the main thing? Sums up some of your "fans" mentality if you genuinely believe having a better team then Cas is the "main thing" and even that is very subjective 6 weeks into the new season.'"

Maybe one of us being better than the other, or at least better than someone/ayone is the main thing because if either finish bottom and can show no tangible progress on the stadium front who says the RFL won't exercise their vaguely described right to withdraw a license before it's 3 years are up.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator20744
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg

Quote: fat faced fan "well “might” is all we have to go on at the moment. in answer to you elston would certainly be in the line up and not chopped at the moment if i were glover. we remain a low cost and low revenue club at the moment, if it were my club, i be thinking that as we seek to grow and prosper i’d be looking at moving elston into a different position within the club as he has value to offer, but i wouldn’t have him in as the head man. again, i’m saying this from the outside, but he has very little in the way of qualifications or experience to be the ceo of a business of this size. he’s an ex- semi-pro player with more grey matter than most that worked his way up the pyramid in the same manner as francis “daft as a brush” stephenson did in his time. it’s a mark of how tight money is in the game that davide longo was offered the top job at featherstone.

you say my posts don’t help? it's not my job to help. i do think that it's better that we all think about the future; employees/players come and go. supporters like you and i do not.

i want exactly what you want; a strong stable trinity both now and in the future, the best possible outcome is that agar succeeds and that elston grows into being a true leader at the club. i too really like aiton and wood, but this is a great point, isn’t the flip side that glover is wasting money by paying the salary of ellis because agar and elston weren’t singing from the same hymn sheet despite the fact we already knew he was going to get the gig?

if it all starts going wrong for agar, he will have a natural defence when glover fires into him

Can't argue with that. We do want the same things but I just think it is too early to get the guns out.

I am surprised how well Elston is doing. As you say he has no qualifications. He would not get a job with me for that level role, BUT he is proving his worth so far for me.
I take the point about Agar and Elston putting a team together seperately, but that is how it was and that is what we have to work with. No point going back to it now. Lets make the best of it.

RankPostsTeam
International Star174No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2013May 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53816_1300527163.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_53816.jpg

Of all the subjects i have seen on this forum this is the biggest load of rubbish, it makes me wonder if the OP has an agenda or is only happy if the Club is going backwards?

I am not an expert on the behind the scenes going on at the club like Fat Faced Fan but i do know somebody at the Club and have, like most been coming to Wakey for 30 years and have seen and spoken to James many times.

Anybody who knows James or witnesses his work will tell you that this man lives Trinity 24 hours a day, if you go to any acadamy, reserve or first team game he is there. The OP questioned his experience, i understand in addition to being CEO at another Superleague club (Hull KR) he has worked in various departments including Community, marketing, commercial and as a player - i would say that is a good allround experience to run the club.

He did not appoint Agar by himself as they have publicly stated it was done with Glover over many weeks and they interviewed many candiadtes. He was also the person that brought Glover to the club in the first place and i undersatnd other investors (steve Kitterick) since.

He is an excellent communicator in the Media and have seen first hand his matchday hosting in the restaraunt in the flats, when the club was in its darkest days he was the one who the old board would send out to face the firing squad.

We will not always agree with things like selctions ect that is why we are fans after all and we are all entitled to our opinions but i genuinely belive we are on the verge of something and with a new team just have to be a bit realistic in our expectations and put our energys in to backing the Club and not putting it down all the time, just remember what hurdles we have overcome in the last 12 months.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1886No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2015Sep 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51581_1309939310.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51581.jpg

Biggest nistake made was to give Agar a 3 year contract. He should have been given a one year deal to see how he performed. Lets face it he had no where else to go and would have had to accept it.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1051No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2012Aug 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jack in the box "Biggest nistake made was to give Agar a 3 year contract. He should have been given a one year deal to see how he performed. Lets face it he had no where else to go and would have had to accept it.'"

i totally agree. it smacks of naivety. yes we want stability, yes we want the same coach for three years, but only if he's performing. it’s also inconsisten with how we're operating elsewhere; look at the smith signing, he’s got nowhere else to go, we’ve given him a chance to show his worth, with minimal risk to us. why not the same for a head coach who probably wouldn't get a gig elsewhere?

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: fat faced fan "i totally agree. it smacks of naivety. yes we want stability, yes we want the same coach for three years, but only if he's performing. it’s also inconsisten with how we're operating elsewhere; look at the smith signing, he’s got nowhere else to go, we’ve given him a chance to show his worth, with minimal risk to us. why not the same for a head coach who probably wouldn't get a gig elsewhere?'"

You're obviously a big fan of JE and RA, also you also are being naive.
The fact is that our club survived by the skin of its teeth 12 months ago and achieved a SL licence by the skin of its teeth.
As fans, we love the club and would do anything to see it prosper.
However, as a future coach, the situation is that we are pretty much at the bottom of the pile and as such we would struggle to entice the very best players or coaches to our club.
No doubt, we ARE on the up and when there are more tangible signs of growth and stability, we will be in a better position to attract a different level of player.
We have a significantly stronger playing staff than last term and that is down to the hard work of Mr Glover plus, the 2 people that you seem to have a problem with.
Everybody would like us to have played 6 and won 6, but this was never going to happen.

If we had given RA a 12 month deal and then have a great season, do you think the only knock on his door would be from our guys offreing to extend his contract ?
Get real and SUPPORT the club.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1051No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2012Aug 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wrencat1873 "You're obviously a big fan of JE and RA, also you also are being naive.
The fact is that our club survived by the skin of its teeth 12 months ago and achieved a SL licence by the skin of its teeth.
As fans, we love the club and would do anything to see it prosper.
However, as a future coach, the situation is that we are pretty much at the bottom of the pile and as such we would struggle to entice the very best players or coaches to our club.
No doubt, we ARE on the up and when there are more tangible signs of growth and stability, we will be in a better position to attract a different level of player.
We have a significantly stronger playing staff than last term and that is down to the hard work of Mr Glover plus, the 2 people that you seem to have a problem with.
Everybody would like us to have played 6 and won 6, but this was never going to happen.

If we had given RA a 12 month deal and then have a great season, do you think the only knock on his door would be from our guys offreing to extend his contract ?
Get real and SUPPORT the club.'"

the fact that club survived in the top flight by the skin of its teeth is not lost on me. however i fail to see why that fact alone invalidates the points that i and other have put forward.

agar did nothing at hull to warrant a 3 year deal, a one year deal which could have been upgraded at any point should he be doing well is clearly more favourable than what we've done.

to suggest that i don't support the club shows the limit of your appetite for debate and discussion.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: fat faced fan "the fact that club survived in the top flight by the skin of its teeth is not lost on me. however i fail to see why that fact alone invalidates the points that i and other have put forward.

agar did nothing at hull to warrant a 3 year deal, a one year deal which could have been upgraded at any point should he be doing well is clearly more favourable than what we've done.

to suggest that i don't support the club shows the limit of your appetite for debate and discussion.'"

The inferrance that you dont support the club is purely because, after just 5 games, you are having a go at JE and RA and not supporting them.
A 1 year contract for any coach would not encourage them to come to any club, unless it was someone new to coaching, who was trying to prove themselves and although there may have been this type of candidate, I dont think RA falls into that group at all.
We need stability and some growth before we can recruit marquee players, so for this season we go with what we have and look to improve during each of the 3 seasons within the franchise period.
If the fans support the management, coaching staff and players they will perform better that if they are constantly getting grief form all quarters.

87 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
87 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.2705078125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC