FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wakefield Trinity > Time for some honesty.
80 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain21No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Pie_Eyter "Sorry but if you have been a Wakefield fan for 38 years and today is the time you feel you need to speak out then you need to have a reality check. Today is the only time in those years that you have felt the need to vent your frustrations is because the internet hasn't been around that long. I'm sure before that you bemoaned your teams performance in a pub etc before that but you had no platform to do so. Yes you played poor today, very poor, but all sides do. You have hammered my team (Wigan) on your own midden on more than a few occasions and have had a lot more scalps along the way. You have gone from a second rate in the lower tiers to mid table to play off challenging side in Super League those 38 years and all i can see is progress. You have started in the last 5 years at least to bring through some very good young players and have recruited very well. All sides have bad seasons. I think you need a sense of perspective of where you have been and where you are now when you look at the likes of Widnes and Bradfoed, even the likes of Halifax. 38 years ago you would have been the underdog against sides like that and now you mix it with the best of them. Don't be so knee jerk, every fan of every club wants better for their team (mine included) but it's been a strange season, let's just get it out of the way and start a fresh next term and appreciate that you are a fan of a club that has made leaps and bounds over the years with limited resources and facilities.'"

Unless the Wigan fan has watched every single Wakefield game over the last two seasons then he cannot sensibly discuss the issues which I have raised.

For the avoidance of any doubt, I am not in any way, shape or form questioning that our club has made giant strides forward over the last 4 or 5 seasons and that is to testimony in no small part to the efforts and stewardship of Michael Carter. I have the utmost respect for Michael and what he has done to transform our great club from a very dark place, which has been nothing short of a minor miracle when you consider the financial constraints within which he has had to operate.

Beating a couple of understrength Wigan teams over the past two or three years on our home patch means nothing in the context of the deep-rooted issues I have identified. Although our team has put in some tremendous shifts over the past two years, particularly last season in the face of extreme adversity and an injury crisis which was probably the worst which any super league club has had to deal with, effort only gets you so far and the win/loss ratio for this period does not lie. Hopefully yesterday was just a blip which we will not see again and we can put it behind us. Who knows, maybe CC was luring Catalans into a fall sense of security and we are going to hit them in the Challenge Cup with a different type of performance - I sincerely hope so.

We were a mid-table side two/three years ago but we are not in that place now and have not been for quite some time. Last year it was us, Hull KR, London and Huddersfield at the bottom of the pile. London were relegated and ever since Sezer joined Huddersfield they are a completely different outfit. With Toronto now gone, the reality is that Hull KR and our club are the struggling teams at the bottom and unless we change things then there is a good chance that we will end up being relegated next season – you can only dodge that trap door for so long.

So what has gone wrong and how do we fix it. There are so many facets of the game which combine to make a team successful – fitness, mental health, morale etc but what I think we need to distil it down to are the fundamentals of playing the game – defence and attack.

I think on the whole, yesterday apart, our defence has been pretty sound. However, the same cannot be said for the other half of our game - our attacking play – which is cause for concern, and has been cause for concern for some time.

Our attack has been spluttering and faltering for 2-3 seasons now. I turn up to games and watch the lads warm up and the moves look good but come game time the lads very rarely seem able to replicate the quick hands / deepish line / running onto the ball at pace of the training environment – it all seems to disappear and you have to wonder what the hell the guys are doing on the training paddock during the week. We fire occasionally in some games but more often than not we are devoid of ideas in the opposition 20m area and our last tackle option i.e. our kicking, is telegraphed or poorly executed giving sides 7 tackle sets and allowing them to march us down the field.

I accept that there have been victories but a lot of the time those have been eked out, difficult to watch come backs or occasions when we have been treated to an outstanding performance from our talisman, Big Dave.

If anyone has watched us play week in and week out since John Kear left and does think that there are major issues with our attack then they must be watching a different Trinity team to me. I do not know whether the issue is because John was responsible for our attack or whether Chris has had to take on too much of the coaching responsibility but I pinpoint the gradual demise in the attacking side of our game to when John left the club. The injuries I have mentioned above have obviously played their part and I accept that it is difficult to develop consistency and fluidity when the team sheet is changing on a weekly basis but we cannot keep raising that as an excuse for poor attack management. We need to have a system of attacking play (along the lines of a Saints, Castleford, Huddersfield/Salford) which is ingrained into the training regime of the club at every level and which all the players have to buy into. It won’t happen overnight but we now have what is effectively an extended pre-season to try things out and put things in place to make sure that we can compete next season in both defence and, crucialy, attack. If steps are not taken now to sort out our attack then I really fear for next season.

For me, we need to be looking at the teams that have historically been in the same place as we are in i.e. Salford, Huddersfield and (going back a little further) Castleford, to see what those clubs have done to transform their fortunes and in particular their attacking play. At Castleford Daryl came along and introduced a brand of attack which was the envy of other Super league clubs – yes you can point to the fact that he has not won any trophies but I would give my right leg to turn up and watch Wakey play the way that Cas do – ouch that hurt but it is the truth. One of the reasons for their success was until recently, whether you like him or not, the Cas playmaker Luke Gale. If you look at Salford, a club very similar to ours in a number of aspects, Watson has had them playing decent attacking rugby for two/three seasons now and the current and former Salford Halfbacks of Tui Lolohea and Jackson Hastings have played no small part in that success. With Huddersfield, it took Woolford a bit of time to replace Broughy but he has introduced Sezer and has got the Giants to play some great attacking rugby.

The common denominators to the attack management adopted by these clubs are an attack minded coach and a midfield general who can work the team around the park. Looking at our club, it seems to me that we may have a coach who has too much on his plate to devote the time required to develop our attack and we have no half back who can control a game but frankly I am not close enough to the club so cannot comment. On the midfield general, I am not convinced that any of Milky, Ryan or Max are the answer but I suspect the club will use our extended pre-season to find out. The Gigot signing was a bit baffling because I’m not sure a full back come centre come winger come half back is the answer. Without knowing the financials and availability of players, it is difficult to say whether we can bring in what is required but you do not necessarily have to flash the cash – look at what Liam Finn did for us.

The likes of Castleford, Salford and Huddersfield have found an attacking formula that is exciting to watch and, crucially, also wins games. I don’t see why we cannot look at how they play then first replicate it and then try and improve on it.

There is also another very good reason to make sure that our attack is firing on all cylinders. Winning games is obviously key but fans want to see their team playing an expansive and open attacking team because it puts bums on seats which for a club like ours has to be a priority. I have talked about those games where we have eked out victories but on those days I have often left the ground thinking great we have the win but feeling really frustrated that we’ve done it ugly and there must be another way to doing it. I think there is and more importantly I think that if we don’t sort the attack out we will be facing relegation again next year.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36015
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg
SUPPORT SWAG...:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10363.jpg

Quote: upthecats "Think you’re being a bit harsh on Koppy there Vasty...think he’s been our best prop since the restart...19 carries for over 100 metres is not going through the motions or being lazy...those figures were just about the equal of Navarette and Tangata put together! Yes, Westerman had an absolute stinker but prior to the shutdown was playing really well so I’d easily forgive him that on his first start for months...

Pack do need to stand up though and be much tougher...get right in Catalans faces and they don’t like it...that is how we’ll beat them....on paper we’ve got a strong looking pack...if Green and Arona are fit they’d be great options to bring in along with Crowther and Batch...'"

You may be right regarding Koppy but unfortunately the pack are a unit and sometimes the eye just sees them as one.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36015
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg

Quote: Jesper_Parnevik "One thing I have noticed is that the ball movement is so slow and sloppy since June/July last year. It seemed to coincide with Arona being out. If you look at the try highlights from 2016-2018 the ball often went through Arona onto the halfbacks who hit the ball at pace and then would hit the edges. It’s hard to assess this year as Arona has only played one/two games but I’d like to see us revert back to using him as it seemed to give our halfbacks more thinking time. I might be wrong but it’s something I picked up on some of our old games. Mind you we have to be in the oppositions 20/30 to try it.'"

Arona is a key man, definitely a cut above. We always look better with him on the park. Fifita can win you the odd game by his own but Arona seems to ensure we are competitive even if we don’t win. He’s my number one first forward on the team sheet every time.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player65No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: vastman "Arona is a key man, definitely a cut above. We always look better with him on the park. Fifita can win you the odd game by his own but Arona seems to ensure we are competitive even if we don’t win. He’s my number one first forward on the team sheet every time.'"

I think Arona is a real leader and never really noticed it until he was out last year. He does a lot of the things that we have been missing. Working from marker, pressuring the kicker etc. I actually think he’s more of a pack leader than most of the other forwards inc Fifita.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1692No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Interesting reading some of the comments

When you watch the players at the mo the ones who had the bad injuries don’t look like the players of that amazing 2018 team (I believe they still are those players) So it’s understandably they aren’t quite at the races currently

I can remember Bill and Tinni would both hit the line and pump there legs like a steam train, like there lives depended on it and it was near guaranteed to put us on the front foot

A typical kick return would be Tommy first , then Bill, the defence are already all over the shop because of the effort to put those two down, at this point and were maybe in our own 30-40 yard line
Then Dave booms it in and produces an offload shifting the ball to our left away from Bill and Tommy
Then arona comes in links the play to Miller who is buzzing back over the left
The defence don’t know if he’s going to hit Ashurst or Bill or take the line on but something devastating is about to happen

We were so effective from deep, almost unstoppable

It’s understandable after awful injuries particularly to legs that the foundation of what we we’re so good at we can’t do at the moment

I do think we need an organising scrum half like Tim but I also think we need a few of there players back at there best, it may come quickly, who knows

They need to find that amazing confidence in themselves and each other again

The only way to do that is to grind some wins out, we have an excellent team we are very capable

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36015
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg

Quote: musson "Interesting reading some of the comments

When you watch the players at the mo the ones who had the bad injuries don’t look like the players of that amazing 2018 team (I believe they still are those players) So it’s understandably they aren’t quite at the races currently

I can remember Bill and Tinni would both hit the line and pump there legs like a steam train, like there lives depended on it and it was near guaranteed to put us on the front foot

A typical kick return would be Tommy first , then Bill, the defence are already all over the shop because of the effort to put those two down, at this point and were maybe in our own 30-40 yard line
Then Dave booms it in and produces an offload shifting the ball to our left away from Bill and Tommy
Then arona comes in links the play to Miller who is buzzing back over the left
The defence don’t know if he’s going to hit Ashurst or Bill or take the line on but something devastating is about to happen

We were so effective from deep, almost unstoppable

It’s understandable after awful injuries particularly to legs that the foundation of what we we’re so good at we can’t do at the moment

I do think we need an organising scrum half like Tim but I also think we need a few of there players back at there best, it may come quickly, who knows

They need to find that amazing confidence in themselves and each other again

The only way to do that is to grind some wins out, we have an excellent team we are very capable'"

Interesting.

Truth is we are all guessing as we don’t true team dynamic. Unlike individual sports there are so many factors that determine how a team performs.

Injuries play a huge party but when you really think about it the challenge to get 20+ young men to function as an effective unit frankly baffles the mind. Here are just a few things that can seriously effect a teams performance apart from injuries.

Personality clashes, most likely with new signings.

Confidence loss

Personal/family issues

Monetary issues

Pressure from agents and other outside issue

None RL related health issues

And there are many more, bad enough in a single sportsman but multiply that by 30 and it looks impossible at times. When to many of the above collide it gets hard to motivate a team or even just get it to function correctly.

At some clubs like Saints there is a level of inertia that helps stave off the worst but at Trinity where failure is more the norm it gets harder.

Being a team manager in sport has to be one of the hardest jobs on earth. It’s hard enough to motivate 30 young men to sell life insurance efficiently, how hard must it be to get 17 of those 30 to perform at their peak ability for 80 minutes for roughly 26 weekend a year.

Being a coach or being a top player, not as easy as it looks.

80 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
80 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.056640625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Saints h
Phuzzy
20m
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
bazdev
41m
TV games not Wire
ratticusfinc
43m
FC v hull kr
tommyfromhul
48m
Vegas Baby
MidlandsWarr
55m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
55m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
Recent
Bradford
BigTime
Recent
Cas
BigTime
Recent
Lewis Murphy
jonh
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
Large Paws
2m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
weaver93
2m
Squad 2024
Listenup94
2m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
2m
Cas
BigTime
3m
Arthur In
Tex Rerp
4m
York v Dons Sunday 14th July 2024 3pm
Kick and cha
4m
TV games not Wire
ratticusfinc
4m
Wigan Warriors Extend League Lead with Derby Win
RLFANS News
5m
Recruitment rumours and links
karetaker
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Wigan Warriors Extend League Lead with Derby Win
RLFANS News
TODAY
Toulouse game
REDWHITEANDB
TODAY
Ashton extends contract
chris2925
TODAY
Damel Diakhate
Eastern Wild
TODAY
Sackings
SFW
TODAY
Warrington Wolves Into Second With Win Over Leeds
RLFANS News
TODAY
Tonights game v Leeds
karetaker
TODAY
Watson toast
FIL
TODAY
Watson Been Stood Down
Deeeekos
TODAY
Watson gone
Jo Jumbuck
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Giants
doc999
TODAY
Just makes me laugh
Wildmoggy
TODAY
Anyone know about wfd v batley
Redscat
TODAY
Bradford
BigTime
TODAY
One more Saints inspired novel
glee
TODAY
Bradford Away 140724
Luppylad
TODAY
Fax v Fev
The Phantom
TODAY
Cas
BigTime
TODAY
Round 17 Warrington Away
Loiner at la
TODAY
Saints h
Phuzzy
TODAY
For the live of god Arthur out
christopher
TODAY
Arthur In
Tex Rerp
TODAY
Wakefield H
Bullseye
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wigan Warriors Extend League L..
Warrington Wolves Into Second ..
Salford Hold On To Beat Unluck..
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win O..
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thri..
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M 2,981 80,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
08:30
Gold Coast
v
Parramatta
10:35
Brisbane
v
St.George
     Womens Super League 2024-R8
12:00
York V
v
FeatherstoneW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
15:00
Hull FC
v
Hull KR
Leigh
v
Huddersfield
       Championship 2024-R15
Whitehaven
v
Toulouse
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
17:30
Catalans
v
Salford
 TOMORROW
12:00
Wire W
v
LeedsW
       League One 2024-R15
14:00
Newcastle
v
Hunslet
14:00
Hudds W
v
BarrowW
       Championship 2024-R15
Batley
v
Barrow
Bradford
v
Wakefield
Halifax
v
Featherstone
Sheffield
v
Swinton
Widnes
v
Dewsbury
York
v
Doncaster
       League One 2024-R15
Oldham
v
Crusaders
Workington
v
Rochdale
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
17:05
Manly
v
Newcastle
 Wed 17th Jul
     State of Origin 2023-R3
11:05
Queensland
v
New South Wales
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
17:30
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
18:00
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Fri 12th Jul
NRL 19 Cronulla58-6Wests
SL 17 LondonB20-34Castleford
WSL2024 8 WiganW12-16St.HelensW
SL 17 Wigan16-12St.Helens
Thu 11th Jul
NRL 19 Dolphins36-28Souths
SL 17 Warrington30-18Leeds
Sun 7th Jul
NRL 18 Sydney42-12St.George
NRL 18 Canberra12-16Newcastle
SL 16 Salford22-20Hull FC
CH 14 Dewsbury16-20Doncaster
CH 14 Featherstone66-0Whitehaven
CH 14 Swinton24-12Widnes
CH 14 Wakefield34-12Batley
CH 14 York54-12Barrow
L1 14 Newcastle0-44Workington
L1 14 Crusaders18-32Midlands
L1 14 Keighley20-20Rochdale
WSL2024 7 Wire W10-32Hudds W
WSL2024 7 York V44-0BarrowW
Sat 6th Jul
NRL 18 Canterbury13-12NZ Warriors
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 16 443 182 261 28
Warrington 17 436 231 205 24
St.Helens 17 441 186 255 22
Hull KR 16 397 217 180 22
Salford 16 317 308 9 22
Catalans 16 304 234 70 20

Leeds 17 309 316 -7 18
Huddersfield 16 298 365 -67 12
Leigh 15 270 250 20 11
Castleford 17 280 455 -175 11
Hull FC 16 218 496 -278 4
LondonB 17 176 649 -473 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 14 520 154 366 28
Sheffield 14 382 217 165 22
Bradford 14 353 230 123 19
Toulouse 13 344 186 158 17
Widnes 14 327 269 58 15
Featherstone 14 396 283 113 14

Doncaster 14 257 341 -84 13
York 15 339 305 34 12
Batley 14 217 320 -103 12
Swinton 14 284 344 -60 10