Mar 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2013Sep 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Animal.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Animal.gif

Professional foul - he should know better( ultimately putting the icing on the cake for the losing the game)
Missing conversions
Sloppy passes again and again - it's as if he just wants rid of the ball
Same moves over and over again ( opposition know exactly what he will do next)
Bad kicking in general throughout the game

So rant over- but what about the future of Danny Jones at Cougars, because for me he isn't producing the goods at all this season, his game in general hasn't been good since his return

Any thoughts?
Comments from the club? What things are been done for under performing players or are they just been left to get away with playing poorly.

As this game isn't the only poor game Jones as had recently surely I'm not the only fan who as noticed this.

Things need to be done before it's to late - it's just not Paul March fault why we are playing badly but some of our players as well

RankPostsTeam
International Star1010No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2019Jan 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60371_1317292228.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60371.jpg

I.M.O. Before he went to Halifax he was a great commited player but since he has come back
he has slowly gone down the preverbial in All aspects of his game.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach523No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2016Nov 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Come on - he's an experienced current international and there aren't many of those available to the Cougars right now. He gives 100% every game and does more in defence than most people notice. The back line has rarely clicked this season and some tend to focus on Jones - but there are others in the backs that have gone backwards a lot more this year.

In the Batley match this week, if you watch the video, you'll see Jones sprint across the backline to join in making a try scoring overlap on the other side of the field. No player who 'wasn't trying' would have needed to do that. It's the fact that he is having to try too hard IMO that means he makes the odd glaring error.

My view is that he is best seen as a scrum half and I'd like to see him at 7 and Leatherbarrow at 6 for a couple games as an experiment.

RankPostsTeam
International Star102No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2014Dec 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

What a joke how can you just pick on Jones.

Start a pole for march out and Fawcett out as well.

RankPostsTeam
International Star284No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2015Aug 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
63418_1316941041.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_63418.jpg

I sometimes look on here and have to wonder; doom and gloom, individual players being slagged-off. You look at the other forums of teams in our position and worse and see how positive they are. Barrow are advertising a supporters meeting and the discussion is whether the bar will be big enough to hold it! Barrow, by the way, are bottom of the league and in serious financial trouble. I do recall one visiting supporter saying he was amazed how Keighley 'fans' are always getting on the back of the players. I am not sure we deserve a top team.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member2236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp048.gif
I have only been wrong once and thats because I thought I was wrong but I was wrong I was right! Petty authoritarians aren’t man enough to challenge the actions of a person face to face; instead they incite a forum of rumour, innuendo and half truths, and impose rude sanctions to discourage those who dare question fairness. Anon.:simpsons/simp048.gif

This is neither a fair nor balanced poll and just appears designed to get others to confirm the OP's views.

To be fair and balanced it would need two more columns:

* Danny is fine and his inclusion in the team is justified.

* Danny is playing below his own high standard and appears lacking in confidence.

There is no doubt that, at times, the TEAM performance has been awful and some moaning is definitely justified, but some of the comments on here just beggar belief. However, I do accept that people have the right to express their opinion.

RankPostsTeam
International Star778No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2019Jan 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Soon be Monday.:

Quote: LoyalFan2013 "What a joke how can you just pick on Jones.

Start a pole for march out and Fawcett out as well.'"

Everyone should stop picking on Jones and pick on Loyalfan2013 instead icon_wink.gif icon_mrgreen.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1226No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Apr 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/eye2.gif
[size=200:3n3zr01x]Click the link to see my Keighley Cougar Vids.[/size:3n3zr01x] //www.youtube.com/user/MICKY1920:Others/eye2.gif

Some people don't see the game the same way I see it.
I often have a strong opinion at the game, but on reflection of seeing the whole
game, errors, effort, good luck, back luck, and everything in the video I still rate Danny J very highly.

He is a half back who will play anywhere asked. He has on numerous occasions
taken a yellow for the team in prof fowl situations. In match saving moments I recall twice.

I think moving him to full back leaves a gap in the halves.
Answer if anything is we need to clone Danny Jones like Dolly the sheep and have one for the halves and another for full back.

RankPostsTeam
International Star111No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2013Sep 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Animal.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Animal.gif

Quote: Wooden Stand "Come on - he's an experienced current international and there aren't many of those available to the Cougars right now. He gives 100% every game and does more in defence than most people notice. The back line has rarely clicked this season and some tend to focus on Jones - but there are others in the backs that have gone backwards a lot more this year.

In the Batley match this week, if you watch the video, you'll see Jones sprint across the backline to join in making a try scoring overlap on the other side of the field. No player who 'wasn't trying' would have needed to do that. It's the fact that he is having to try too hard IMO that means he makes the odd glaring error.

My view is that he is best seen as a scrum half and I'd like to see him at 7 and Leatherbarrow at 6 for a couple games as an experiment.'"

Having watched micky's video I can now see what you say about J but I still feel way too many errors he creates and yes before it's said Marchy also make errors but that's because he is trying to hard same mistakes JD made.
I like your idea of him playing at 7 I think he is wasted at full back but defiantly not the same player that went to Halifax and certainly one of the worst player on the pitch Sunday , now compare to Shickell 150% given and was surprised to be told he was injured but still played now that's one player who gets the fans support shame we don't have a few more with that attitude

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach87No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2013Jul 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: MICKY1920 "
He is a half back who will play anywhere asked. He has on numerous occasions
taken a yellow for the team in prof fowl situations. In match saving moments I recall twice. '"

Well done just what we need someone who gets binned for 10 mins which cost us dearly against batley. I feel we were still in that game until jones got binned and it was one of the stand out games for me, so far this season if anything we struggled with kicking again we missed 3 conversions in the first half which would of been 18 -6 up at half time instead as you know it was only 12 - 6 up a converted try which to me gave batley a bit of a boost after half time, which is why I believe if we had kicked one it would of better than all missed so why didn't scott get a chance?, anyway no doubt ill keep coming down cause that's what I do but I also think that we should cut ties with cas if we are not utilising the duel reg to its full potential theres no point end of.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7174No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2019Nov 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3180.jpg
:3180.jpg

And i get accused of being negative.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2014Nov 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Pickled onion "Professional foul - he should know better( ultimately putting the icing on the cake for the losing the game)
Missing conversions
Sloppy passes again and again - it's as if he just wants rid of the ball
Same moves over and over again ( opposition know exactly what he will do next)
Bad kicking in general throughout the game'"

I've got to say, some people on here not only seem to watch different games to me but also may be watching a different sport... or just don't understand modern rugby league.

1. Analyse the term 'professional foul'... it's what professionals do. They are competitive and try to gain an advantage wherever they can and Keighley have won a couple of games on the back of Jones acting like a professional. In my opinion it just shows he has a good rugby brain between his ears.
2. You can't blame the lad for missing conversions, he hasn't been kicking regularly for a start plus we aren't getting near enough to teams for it to matter anyway.
3. Sometimes good passes are made to look sloppy by players not being up with play, so perhaps you should have a look at the outside backs too.
4. The players play in the structure that the coach chooses. Keighley play a multiple line system of attack, much like most of the top sides, and this system needs an x-factor player at fullback as the majority of the time they are the one who has to give the final ball or make the break. With White at fullback Jones was made to look poor because White didn't have the skillset to pull off the system, with Jones at fullback the system was working and Keighley were creating a lot more scoring plays. The main issue in the current set up is March, he is the player that defenses usually find out and is also the player that generally slows down play or takes wrong options.
5. Jones' kicking game has never been amazing, Leatherbarrow's is on a completely different plain... however I would guess that with his lack of kicking at the weekend that he must have some kind of leg problem.

I also think to say he is wasted at full back is a strange thing to say. If turning halves into fullbacks works for Wigan and Melbourne Storm then it's got to be good enough for Keighley... or are Tomkins and Slater being wasted at fullback? Better coaches than March have chosen to play Jones at fullback and with Moss out he is by far the best option. Just have a look at his performances for Wales at fullback, even the quality Australian players didn't show him up.

The main thing that costs Keighley games at the moment is the defense, there is simply no dominance in the tackle and teams are allowed to get quick play the balls and get a roll on. If Keighley slowed the contact area they would compete better.

My one worry is that March doesn't seem to read the game very well and is tactically naive. He blames poor performances on a lack of effort and seems to chop and change the side rather than improving the small areas of the game where the team needs to tighten up.

Only my opinion though so if anyone disagrees feel free to prove me wrong.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7174No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2019Nov 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3180.jpg
:3180.jpg

Quote: K town Rosco "I've got to say, some people on here not only seem to watch different games to me but also may be watching a different sport... or just don't understand modern rugby league.

1. Analyse the term 'professional foul'... it's what professionals do. They are competitive and try to gain an advantage wherever they can and Keighley have won a couple of games on the back of Jones acting like a professional. In my opinion it just shows he has a good rugby brain between his ears.
2. You can't blame the lad for missing conversions, he hasn't been kicking regularly for a start plus we aren't getting near enough to teams for it to matter anyway.
3. Sometimes good passes are made to look sloppy by players not being up with play, so perhaps you should have a look at the outside backs too.
4. The players play in the structure that the coach chooses. Keighley play a multiple line system of attack, much like most of the top sides, and this system needs an x-factor player at fullback as the majority of the time they are the one who has to give the final ball or make the break. With White at fullback Jones was made to look poor because White didn't have the skillset to pull off the system, with Jones at fullback the system was working and Keighley were creating a lot more scoring plays. The main issue in the current set up is March, he is the player that defenses usually find out and is also the player that generally slows down play or takes wrong options.
5. Jones' kicking game has never been amazing, Leatherbarrow's is on a completely different plain... however I would guess that with his lack of kicking at the weekend that he must have some kind of leg problem.

I also think to say he is wasted at full back is a strange thing to say. If turning halves into fullbacks works for Wigan and Melbourne Storm then it's got to be good enough for Keighley... or are Tomkins and Slater being wasted at fullback? Better coaches than March have chosen to play Jones at fullback and with Moss out he is by far the best option. Just have a look at his performances for Wales at fullback, even the quality Australian players didn't show him up.

The main thing that costs Keighley games at the moment is the defense, there is simply no dominance in the tackle and teams are allowed to get quick play the balls and get a roll on. If Keighley slowed the contact area they would compete better.

My one worry is that March doesn't seem to read the game very well and is tactically naive. He blames poor performances on a lack of effort and seems to chop and change the side rather than improving the small areas of the game where the team needs to tighten up.

Only my opinion though so if anyone disagrees feel free to prove me wrong.'"

A very good and insightful post.

Do i detect that you think March has to carry a lot of the blame. Or have i misunderstood your post?

RankPostsTeam
International Star17No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2014Nov 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I think, personally, there are a number of factors that have come together to mean Keighley aren't getting the results this year.

- March is not the player that he was, his timing is way out from the other players and his decision making and execution is poor, but he's gone from bit part player last year to seemingly the first name on his own team sheet this year.
- March only has the players available at his disposal, if he didn't pick himself in the halves and play Jones at fullback we'd either be short of a half back or full back... because White is not the answer at fullback.
- I don't think March has the skills to look at the details and improve the team that way, he comes across (and plays) as a 'try harder!' type of guy rather than a constructive, analytical coach. And either way, it is hard to take the necessary step back when you are out in the middle of the park.
- We've been fairly unlucky with injuries.
- We have done really badly out of the dual reg system. Whether you agree with it or not the best thing for the club to do is make the most out of it. We linked up with the Super League side with the smallest squad and gained nothing.

I don't think March is 'to blame' as such, he is the character he is and the club hired him... they must have known what they were going to get because we all surely knew. What is happening now is a result of not taking what the team achieved last year and pushing forward.

RankPostsTeam
International Star578No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2019Jan 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: K town Rosco "I think, personally, there are a number of factors that have come together to mean Keighley aren't getting the results this year...
I don't think March is 'to blame' as such, he is the character he is and the club hired him... they must have known what they were going to get '"

Let's assume (and it may be a big assumtion) that the three current directors might be willing to put their hands in their pockets again to a reasonabe degree in order to "invest to avoid relegation". Do you know of a player who is available and who could make a marked difference for the rest of the season if he were signed? Just a separate point in that Paul March was, reportedly, recommended as coach by Jason Demetriou.

22 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
22 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.443359375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Hull KR H
MattyB
5m
Todays match v Saints
Fantastic Mr
9m