JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2014Nov 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I'm sure there are plenty of players around that could possibly make a difference to the team, I would have thought however that there should be enough in terms of playing resources at the club already to just stay up with one or two tweaks and some consistency in the starting line-up. If the aim was then to push on and aim for the upper end of the table next year then a few areas could be improved... say, a good quality loose forward, a centre, another half back for better cover.

Quote: "Just a separate point in that Paul March was, reportedly, recommended as coach by Jason Demetriou'"

I'm not sure what the implication is here to be honest. Demetriou brought more on the field than March does, both personally and in the other players he attracted and he brought the club forward in terms of bringing Super League practices to the championship. But if Demetriou thought March was the man to carry on what he started then he clearly was wrong as much of what Demetriou brought to the team has gone... namely a pretty stingey defence has been turned into a completely porous one.

RankPostsTeam
International Star695No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Beaker.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Beaker.gif

Quote: K town Rosco "I've got to say, some people on here not only seem to watch different games to me but also may be watching a different sport... or just don't understand modern rugby league.

1. Analyse the term 'professional foul'... it's what professionals do. They are competitive and try to gain an advantage wherever they can and Keighley have won a couple of games on the back of Jones acting like a professional. In my opinion it just shows he has a good rugby brain between his ears.
2. You can't blame the lad for missing conversions, he hasn't been kicking regularly for a start plus we aren't getting near enough to teams for it to matter anyway.
3. Sometimes good passes are made to look sloppy by players not being up with play, so perhaps you should have a look at the outside backs too.
4. The players play in the structure that the coach chooses. Keighley play a multiple line system of attack, much like most of the top sides, and this system needs an x-factor player at fullback as the majority of the time they are the one who has to give the final ball or make the break. With White at fullback Jones was made to look poor because White didn't have the skillset to pull off the system, with Jones at fullback the system was working and Keighley were creating a lot more scoring plays. The main issue in the current set up is March, he is the player that defenses usually find out and is also the player that generally slows down play or takes wrong options.
5. Jones' kicking game has never been amazing, Leatherbarrow's is on a completely different plain... however I would guess that with his lack of kicking at the weekend that he must have some kind of leg problem.

I also think to say he is wasted at full back is a strange thing to say. If turning halves into fullbacks works for Wigan and Melbourne Storm then it's got to be good enough for Keighley... or are Tomkins and Slater being wasted at fullback? Better coaches than March have chosen to play Jones at fullback and with Moss out he is by far the best option. Just have a look at his performances for Wales at fullback, even the quality Australian players didn't show him up.

The main thing that costs Keighley games at the moment is the defense, there is simply no dominance in the tackle and teams are allowed to get quick play the balls and get a roll on. If Keighley slowed the contact area they would compete better.

My one worry is that March doesn't seem to read the game very well and is tactically naive. He blames poor performances on a lack of effort and seems to chop and change the side rather than improving the small areas of the game where the team needs to tighten up.

Only my opinion though so if anyone disagrees feel free to prove me wrong.'"

Good post and I agree with most of it. I can't believe some have resorted to setting up a poll or blaming one player for our poor form. DJ is not in the best form of his life I think that is obvious and without knowing the ins and outs it's probably not fair to speculate about what's causing that.

I've said it from pre-season but we have a weaker side than last season and I felt we were always going to struggle to exceed the achievements of the previous season.

You mention it well, the main problem is our defence which has been poor to say the least. I can only presume this has been given a lower priority by March than JD.

To try and balance the critique of March, he is if nothing else a very approachable and nice guy. He is part-time and JD was full time. With than in mind, March will probably rely on others to compile the analysis. I'm guessing to a certain extent, but I bet JD did a lot himself. To quote styles you'd probably call Marchy an activist/pragmatist with JD being the opposite (reflector/theorist). In modern rugby I think the successful coaches tend to have the latter traits.

RankPostsTeam
International Star102No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2014Dec 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Woo woo woo he's magic you know youll never get past Danny Jones

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member2236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp048.gif
I have only been wrong once and thats because I thought I was wrong but I was wrong I was right! Petty authoritarians aren’t man enough to challenge the actions of a person face to face; instead they incite a forum of rumour, innuendo and half truths, and impose rude sanctions to discourage those who dare question fairness. Anon.:simpsons/simp048.gif

Quote: Dominance "
I've said it from pre-season but we have a weaker side than last season and I felt we were always going to struggle to exceed the achievements of the previous season.'"

I personally thought our main problem at the start of the season was injuries. It's seems to me that that's why the club had to resort to D/R.

Quote: Dominance "To try and balance the critique of March, he is if nothing else a very approachable and nice guy. He is part-time and JD was full time. With than in mind, March will probably rely on others to compile the analysis. I'm guessing to a certain extent, but I bet JD did a lot himself. To quote styles you'd probably call Marchy an activist/pragmatist with JD being the opposite (reflector/theorist). In modern rugby I think the successful coaches tend to have the latter traits'"

Following the work by Kolb then Honey and Mumford it is recognised that people also fall [iacross[/i learning styles and don't align into neatly labelled groups. However, personally, I think JD was also activist/pragmatist. His tactics on the pitch seemed very simple and quite often it was his introduction to the field, playing character and force of personality that got us some tight wins.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member2236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp048.gif
I have only been wrong once and thats because I thought I was wrong but I was wrong I was right! Petty authoritarians aren’t man enough to challenge the actions of a person face to face; instead they incite a forum of rumour, innuendo and half truths, and impose rude sanctions to discourage those who dare question fairness. Anon.:simpsons/simp048.gif

Quote: K town Rosco "I've got to say, some people on here not only seem to watch different games to me but also may be watching a different sport... or just don't understand modern rugby league......[iSnip[/i
'"

You've made some very interesting points, it's refreshing to see someone back up their thoughts with detailed reasoning.

Personally I don't think March is as naive as you've suggested, but I do agree that we have been limited in tactics at times by player suitabilty/ability. There were plenty of matches where JD persisted with ploughing on with forward led one man rugby even though it was obvious it wasn't working. We should remember that our "loosing streak" started at the back end of last year under JD. I liked JD, by the way, it would have been interesting to see how he handled the D/R situation.

With regard to sloppiness of passes, I think we are trying to speed up ball movement across our attacking line and are sometimes passing before we have hold of the ball. I don't know how much we practice this but I would have thought it should be an area we concentrate on. If you watch top players they receive and pass the ball in one fluid movement. Fast ball opens gaps in sliding defences and gets around the end.

In the fist half against Batley, our fast attacking line speed scored us tries. John Kear obviously spotted this and briefed the team at half time. In the second half Batley sent fast runners to leap out from their defensive line and attack our playmakers. They were successful a number of times and broke up our attack/caused a sloppy pass.

If March were on the sidelines he might see much more than he does and be able to change our tactics to compensate for other teams plays. I don't know what his contract is but I suspect he gets paid both as a player and a coach and It being part time maybe he need both incomes.

We've reached (gone beyond) crunch time and something needs to be done to improve the team.

RankPostsTeam
International Star695No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Beaker.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Beaker.gif

Quote: Dreamer " I think JD was also activist/pragmatist. His tactics on the pitch seemed very simple and quite often it was his introduction to the field, playing character and force of personality that got us some tight wins.'"

Or was it a case that JD saw how the game was going from the sidelines. He analysed the game as it progressed, identifying the areas of weakness in the opposition and exploited them following his introduction?

RankPostsTeam
International Star1010No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2019Jan 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60371_1317292228.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60371.jpg

Quote: Mr Churchill " Just a separate point in that Paul March was, reportedly, recommended as coach by Jason Demetriou.'"

And why do you think he recommended him , Try thinking outside of the box
With your thoughts and I think you might just get to the correct answer.

22 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
22 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.7451171875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Todays match v Saints
Fantastic Mr
5m
Shopping list for 2025
weaver93
6m