FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Plan B Mr Wane?
90 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Beaten, bullied, out played.

Our attack seems highly predictable, seems to be the same movement every week, half/dummy runner to half/dummer runner to Sam linking up from the back causing a 3 v 2 overlap with Daz and Josh on his outside. From this we seem to get either Sam dummy and go, pass to Daz or cut out ball to Josh. (Of course this movement is evident on the other side of the pitch with George etc).
9/10 it works against lesser teams. its fast and with Sam's ability we score from it. But against a good coach it becomes transparent. Wire easily cancelled out our best attacking weapon (Sam) simply by having JM cut in and stop the moment when Sam is about to take on the ball. Regardless of such predictably there was no plan B.

In contrast when St George were coached by Wayne Bennett they perfected the moment whereas the defence had no idea who was going to run, who was going to be the dummy runner and who was going to finish with the ball.

They used Soward to break away, from here the defence would not know if he's going to take on the line or pass, with this he had a SR Ben Creagh alongside with Cooper and Morris as an attacking centre/winger partnership. To add another threat Boyd joined the line from FB. At this point any of the mentioned could be the ball carrier, anyone the dummy runner. When the 5 attack down the flank in a line the 3/4 of the opposition would be scared to death of what was going to come next.

We don't have such movement, we look predictable, basically cancel Sam and you've stopped our attack, with StG if Boyd was stopped one of the others would be still a threat.

I think we have the players to create something different, the drills need to be practised and coached, I barely see any other pattern, we play into the oppositions hands.

Warrington like to throw the 'first punch' hit us hard and keep on the pressure from the get-go, the opposition tire from tackle after tackle and become vulnerable and exposed, and of course when you're tired you are more likely to make mistakes. This happened, it's almost as if Wane fires up certain players so much they lose their heads, case in point Micky.

This season Micky has proven his ability as a top 9, however, at times, when fired up he seems more concerned with intensity and letting us all know how 'ard he is' rather than keeping a cool head. If he was a backrower it would be different, but as a 9 you must have composure and awareness, I for one have never ever seen Cam Smith lose his cool, today of all days, playing with just a single 9 he had to be so in-control, I feel he wasn't, (at one point he was rolling on the floor with Moz to show us how 'ard he is'.
This created such a negative impact, at times when we needed to generate momentum getting on a roll with the forwards we never did, Micky wasn't at the races. If he cooled down and became a 'game leader' rather that an enforcer we'd would have had more chance of winning the arm-wrestle.

The forwards were rattled, Wire brought an 'origin esque' attitude, a winning mentality which has been inspired by their coach and key on on field leaders, Morley showed his calibre and leadership which Hill followed with great effect. Westwood showed his winning desire and played for his life. Excellent mentality throughout.
In opposition to this who are actually our leaders? Lockers, love him, great player, but leader? Undecided. We have some excellent props but who's the enforcer/leader? If one of the props matched Morley maybe Micky wouldn't feel the need to enforce from 9. Eric for me was the best player, he brought it, pity Mossop didn't stand up, and I think it's about time Prescott was pushed to one side for other props, can't remember seeing a prop lose the ball so much on impact. Lima worked hard but he needs more support.
Hock is 'origin' in his approach but seems to have trouble raising intensity without losing his head, with this Wane panics and takes him off.

We don't seem mentally ready. Maybe Wane's I'll shout them down get angry until they play better approach isn't always the best way to deal with a beaten team. We almost seem nervous and afraid of Wire, we shouldn't be.

It's time for a plan B, more options in attack with a strong steel mentality which shows no fear, no backing down. Won't lose our heads or temperament but we'll tackle so hard they will be scared to take the line on.

Let this loss be the wake up call.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner4245
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8083.jpg
[b:1in27wd6][color=#4040FF:1in27wd6][size=100:1in27wd6]top flight since 1895[/size:1in27wd6][/color:1in27wd6][/b:1in27wd6]:8083.jpg

good post.

Thought our kicking game in open play was very effective today...it nullified the obvious attacking threat of Tomkins and kept you well and truly pegged back. Not sure you have made a good decision in buying Matty Smith.....he was behind a beaten pack..but never really showed anything in attack. Finch tried...but seemed to be unfit.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Oxford Exile "good post.

Thought our kicking game in open play was very effective today...it nullified the obvious attacking threat of Tomkins and kept you well and truly pegged back. Not sure you have made a good decision in buying Matty Smith.....he was behind a beaten pack..but never really showed anything in attack. Finch tried...but seemed to be unfit.'"

Wire have a winning mentality, everything they did was with a driven mentality to win, so with this I agree the kicking game was good. they'd clearly discussed how and when to kick to minimise Sam's ability to make valuable yards.

I hope we get to the GF and face Wire, Wire are the benchmark, beating them in the GF would truly signify a 'grand' achievement.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Oxford Exile "good post.

Thought our kicking game in open play was very effective today...it nullified the obvious attacking threat of Tomkins and kept you well and truly pegged back. Not sure you have made a good decision in buying Matty Smith.....he was behind a beaten pack..but never really showed anything in attack. Finch tried...but seemed to be unfit.'"

Forgot to mention...

I think Matty Smith will prove to be a good signing. Still a young lad who has already gained valuable SL experience. With this he has been fortunate enough to learn from Long and now Deacon and Harris, three experienced excellent halves with many years of experience to pass down. He has a good kicking game, and a good rugby brain, and his English so he could be a main stay at the club for years to come adding stability.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1661No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "
I hope we get to the GF and face Wire, Wire are the benchmark, beating them in the GF would truly signify a 'grand' achievement.'"

Warrington will have to qualify for their first ever Grand Final first, adding to their massive total of 2 wins in play off football since it started in 1998. Not much of a benchmark.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Finfin "Warrington will have to qualify for their first ever Grand Final first, adding to their massive total of 2 wins in play off football since it started in 1998. Not much of a benchmark.'"

Today the top two teams in SL played. One dominated the other setting the benchmark for the league. Previous to that they beat Saints another top contender. I think it would be unusual to watch both games and consider past history more prevalent to recent performances.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2088
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Some very good points in that post. When it comes to McIlorum I just think too much is being asked of him. He throws his body all over the place game after game for 80 minutes and because we don't have a good back up hooker he seems to be overworked.

I also think it's a little harsh on Prescott. His error rate was criticised last year yet it was proven to be low and not really any different to our other props. Even now it's less than one error per game and not really enough to justify dropping him. At his best he's an excellent prop and I'd take close to 100m per game if it means making one error along with it.
He does have a tendency to make more errors when he's lacking match fitness though and that's what I can't understand about his selection. He could be nowhere near match fit so why throw him into a game against the best pack we'll come up against.
So I disagree about pushing him to one side. Getting him fit is important because when he is fit he's just as good as Mossop, if not better.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner12006No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6278_1381491357.jpg
[b:3ekusm3q][color=#FF0000:3ekusm3q]WIGAN RLFC[/color:3ekusm3q][/b:3ekusm3q]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6278.jpg

As we've been since Catalans......we were poor tonight. A few poor decisions I felt yes, but yet again I've left worrying about the rest of our season.

Thank you to the police and stewards btw who let me score in the corner.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "Today the top two teams in SL played. One dominated the other setting the benchmark for the league. Previous to that they beat Saints another top contender. I think it would be unusual to watch both games and consider past history more prevalent to recent performances.'"

Hang on, weren't they certs to win it last season and choked? I agree they are looking good but until they have actually achieved a GF or GF win we should temper our adulation just a little.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I guess each person sees different qualities in different players. Personally from what I've seen of our other props I prefer Flower, Dudson, Lima and Eric. Plus Crosby is looking better each game.

Micky plays a certain way, I think he need more focus on the 9 role and less the enforcer.

Quote: Cherry.Pie "Some very good points in that post. When it comes to McIlorum I just think too much is being asked of him. He throws his body all over the place game after game for 80 minutes and because we don't have a good back up hooker he seems to be overworked.

I also think it's a little harsh on Prescott. His error rate was criticised last year yet it was proven to be low and not really any different to our other props. Even now it's less than one error per game and not really enough to justify dropping him. At his best he's an excellent prop and I'd take close to 100m per game if it means making one error along with it.
He does have a tendency to make more errors when he's lacking match fitness though and that's what I can't understand about his selection. He could be nowhere near match fit so why throw him into a game against the best pack we'll come up against.
So I disagree about pushing him to one side. Getting him fit is important because when he is fit he's just as good as Mossop, if not better.'"

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Finfin "Hang on, weren't they certs to win it last season and choked? I agree they are looking good but until they have actually achieved a GF or GF win we should temper our adulation just a little.'"

What can I possibly say to that. I better not consider tonights game at all and replace with events from 12 months ago. Cheers for the advice.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach159No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons3ae4_files/4601-27sowhat-msnicons.gif
"and Boston has scored yet again!".:icons3ae4_files/4601-27sowhat-msnicons.gif

Quote: Finfin "Hang on, weren't they certs to win it last season and choked? I agree they are looking good but until they have actually achieved a GF or GF win we should temper our adulation just a little.'"

Agree, Wire were the better team today, but lets not get carried away, there is a way to go yet. As for a plan B, I dont think there is one, but in fairness most teams dont have a plan B.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2088
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "I guess each person sees different qualities in different players. Personally from what I've seen of our other props I prefer Flower, Dudson, Lima and Eric. Plus Crosby is looking better each game.

Micky plays a certain way, I think he need more focus on the 9 role and less the enforcer.
'"

Fair enough although I think it's worth pointing out that before today's game Prescott had the second highest average metres per game among our forwards, second only to Lima and ahead of Hock and all our other prop forwards.

Errors are bad and around one error per game is obviously around one error too many but I don't think it's any more concerning that Mossop's missed tackles. He was missing tackles against Hull too and it's a bit of a worry for me.

What a fully fit Prescott brings is an excellent ball player and someone who is hard to dominate in the tackle because he brings players down with him when tackled.

For me the only real issue with Prescott is that massive one that's always there, his injury record is terrible and a 'fully fit' Prescott is becoming quite a rare thing.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Last Son of Wigan " Cheers for the advice.'"

No problem, anytime.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6722No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2015Mar 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The Communist Cap - dragging down success and aspiration to the levels of those who cba.:

Quote: Cherry.Pie "Some very good points in that post. When it comes to McIlorum I just think too much is being asked of him. He throws his body all over the place game after game for 80 minutes and because we don't have a good back up hooker he seems to be overworked.

So I disagree about pushing him to one side. Getting him fit is important because when he is fit he's just as good as Mossop, if not better.'"

I would agree.

Part of me wishes that McIllorum would come up against a guy who knows how to handle himself and puts him on his .

Then he can hopefully concentrate on playing number 9, instead of trying to prove how tough he is.

It always amuses me how RL players can think that they can handle themselves. They can........to a degree. Pitch them against people who know what they are doing and 99.9% of them are like ballet dancers.

Back on topic. MM is a great number 9. Tonight he was doing so much work in defence, it hurt his attack.

90 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
90 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.8828125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
2m
Film game
Wanderer
3m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
23m
Fev H Play Off
Bullseye
28m
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
The Speculat
29m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
ocdstephen
36m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Chris71
38m
Play-off semi-final
55m
Proposed rule changes 2025
rollin thund
Recent
Coach of the Year
Bobby Digita
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Leigh it is
Stu M
30s
Shopping list for 2025
ComeOnYouUll
40s
Call for funds
Listenup94
1m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Chris71
1m
2025 membership/renewals
Chris71
1m
Season 2024
Zoo Zoo Boom
1m
Rumours thread
homme vaste
1m
Rumours and signings v9
nathan_rugby
1m
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
1m
Staying or Not
rollin thund
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Proposed rule changes 2025
rollin thund
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Bullseye
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Bobby Digita
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
The Speculat
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
Chris71
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
Bobby Digita
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
TODAY
Leigh it is
Stu M
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
Cokey
TODAY
Must do better
Wires71
TODAY
Warrington Wolves Break Saints Hearts With Golden Point Win
RLFANS News
TODAY
Todays match v Saints
MorePlaymake
TODAY
We are in good hands
God
TODAY
Josh Charnley
Vancouver Le
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M +23,028 80,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Fri 4th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 Sat 5th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
Sun 22nd Sep
CH 27 Batley28-14Swinton
CH 27 Halifax14-10Bradford
CH 27 Swinton20-22Doncaster
L1 24 Hunslet18-14Midlands
L1 24 Keighley26-22Rochdale
WSL2024 15 LeedsW10-12York V
WSL2024 15 St.HelensW18-4WiganW
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22