JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

In light in what Nobby spoke of on the SL show I would like to examine and raise discussion with regards to the two codes.

For one I am VERY pro Rugby League, so I'll say sorry in advance for any one-sided comments.

I believe RL is 'improved rugby'. To elaborate on this point firstly lets look at RU, and what I find wrong with the game.

1, Possession can be lost anywhere on the field with a turn over in the tackle, this creates a situation were field position is vital. To not lose the ball in your own half the team will have no other choice but to kick from their half to the opposition, the opposition then will be faced with the same predicament and have to kick back, thus resulting in a game were two teams kick the ball back and forth to each other-not entertaining rugby.
The 6 tackle rule protects the ball carrier allowing them to run with the ball making running/ball carrying the main source of attack. RL then constantly features the most exciting part of rugby, running with the ball in attack.

2, The point scoring system. In RU 3 points for a drop kick, 5 for a try. This creates a situation were several drop kicks can win you the game, its far easier and less entertaining to watch two teams kick for drops when they're down the other teams end. Pushing for a try is more entertaining, this is what happens in RL with 4 points for a try and only 1 for a drop. This allows the drop kick to become a last minute match winning move adding more excitement to the 1 point finish after nearly 80mins of two teams running the ball.

3, Fitness. A controversial point, but if a man has to do more running over an 80min period he has to be fitter. In league the game is non stop running with minimal kicking, RU has far less running action from the defense and attack.

4, The ruck/maul area, difficult to see who has the ball, not entertaining rugby.

5, Penalties. In RU due to the nature of the ruck and maul we seed many knock ons then go un-counted for, a sport which contradicts the rules set in place to govern the sport. Forward passes are more 'relaxed'.

These are just a few points-please elaborate!

BUT.. What about RU as a positive?

IMO RL is the far better game, and that's what truly matters but I honestly believe that's the end of RL's upperhand.

Fundamentally if we look at the advent of TV and broadcasting in the UK we see the epi being London, public school boys from the south dominating the sport index pushing their 'rugger' as the rugby to hit the airways, granted RU has been around longer managing to build the sport globally forming a fantastic fan base while poor marketing and lack of funding kept 'working mans' RL in the north of England.

The marketing over the years in RL has seen many changes to compete and offer a different 'brand' to RU. SL, changing the names to a more NFL feel after the NRL changed suit.

But still today we see awesome internationals in RU, massive crowds all attending the 6 nations with a each country having a 'true' national team, whereas in stark contrast we see a RL WC fizzle without any true international bang.

What I'd give to see a RL 6 nations, a RL WL with the magnitude of the RU WC. So to link back, to raise media attention by bringing over a Johnny Wikinson or an O'Driscoll would be a positive step, raise the profile and help develop the sport in such rugby loving countries as Ireland, Wales Italy and France.

RL has the better sport, but not the better marketing or promotion.

We are the sruffy younger working class cousin who has the ability to put the fear of god in their older public school boy cousin, all we need is that chance.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2106No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2016Nov 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30097.jpg
simply the best:30097.jpg

totaly agree with the above post. although the rugby league influence that has crept into rugby union especialy at international level. has made rugby union a far more pleasing game to watch.
IMO league far better to watch certainly at club level.
saying that wigan playing very boring rugby at the moment.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach361No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23999.png
WRLFC - Established 1872:23999.png

I've been brought up on rugby league, but having moved down south have been exposed to more and more rugby union (playing and watching). My opinion is that they are two different games, and should be viewed on their own merits as opposed to being compared to one another.

Rugby league will always be number one, but some aspects of rugby union that are very enjoyable could never occur in rugby league and vice versa. For example, when a team gets on a roll in rugby union and can hammer an opposition for play after play.

I think rugby league offers a consistently higher quality of game, but some rugby union matches can be equally exciting as league matches (especially if you have been watching some of the e turned out by Wigan under Noble). I think Rugby League has definitely got more boring over the past two or three years, but don't think that we should constantly try and compare ourselves with RU.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20338No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5733.jpeg

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "In light in what Nobby spoke of on the SL show I would like to examine and raise discussion with regards to the two codes.

For one I am VERY pro Rugby League, so I'll say sorry in advance for any one-sided comments.

I believe RL is 'improved rugby'. To elaborate on this point firstly lets look at RU, and what I find wrong with the game.

1, Possession can be lost anywhere on the field with a turn over in the tackle, this creates a situation were field position is vital. To not lose the ball in your own half the team will have no other choice but to kick from their half to the opposition, the opposition then will be faced with the same predicament and have to kick back, thus resulting in a game were two teams kick the ball back and forth to each other-not entertaining rugby.
The 6 tackle rule protects the ball carrier allowing them to run with the ball making running/ball carrying the main source of attack. RL then constantly features the most exciting part of rugby, running with the ball in attack.

2, The point scoring system. In RU 3 points for a drop kick, 5 for a try. This creates a situation were several drop kicks can win you the game, its far easier and less entertaining to watch two teams kick for drops when they're down the other teams end. Pushing for a try is more entertaining, this is what happens in RL with 4 points for a try and only 1 for a drop. This allows the drop kick to become a last minute match winning move adding more excitement to the 1 point finish after nearly 80mins of two teams running the ball.

3, Fitness. A controversial point, but if a man has to do more running over an 80min period he has to be fitter. In league the game is non stop running with minimal kicking, RU has far less running action from the defense and attack.

4, The ruck/maul area, difficult to see who has the ball, not entertaining rugby.

5, Penalties. In RU due to the nature of the ruck and maul we seed many knock ons then go un-counted for, a sport which contradicts the rules set in place to govern the sport. Forward passes are more 'relaxed'.

These are just a few points-please elaborate!

BUT.. What about RU as a positive?

IMO RL is the far better game, and that's what truly matters but I honestly believe that's the end of RL's upperhand.

Fundamentally if we look at the advent of TV and broadcasting in the UK we see the epi being London, public school boys from the south dominating the sport index pushing their 'rugger' as the rugby to hit the airways, granted RU has been around longer managing to build the sport globally forming a fantastic fan base while poor marketing and lack of funding kept 'working mans' RL in the north of England.

The marketing over the years in RL has seen many changes to compete and offer a different 'brand' to RU. SL, changing the names to a more NFL feel after the NRL changed suit.

But still today we see awesome internationals in RU, massive crowds all attending the 6 nations with a each country having a 'true' national team, whereas in stark contrast we see a RL WC fizzle without any true international bang.

What I'd give to see a RL 6 nations, a RL WL with the magnitude of the RU WC. So to link back, to raise media attention by bringing over a Johnny Wikinson or an O'Driscoll would be a positive step, raise the profile and help develop the sport in such rugby loving countries as Ireland, Wales Italy and France.

RL has the better sport, but not the better marketing or promotion.

We are the sruffy younger working class cousin who has the ability to put the fear of god in their older public school boy cousin, all we need is that chance.'"

I think the 2 codes can and should learn much from each other, unfortunately from a League point of view the game seems too set in its ways to try and learn from Union and the Union boys are more than happy to learn from League.

The fitness issue you raise has some validity but there is a huge difference between the physiological requirements of League and Union. Union players are conditioned to play Union, League players are conditioned to play League, I would not expect a League forward to be able to handle the "fitness" requirements of a union game, just as i would not expect a union forward to be able to handle the fitness requirements of a league game. This may put a few noses out of joint but i would say in terms of power the Union guys are ahead of the League guys due to the nature of the sport and the longer rest periods, i would also so that there is far more natural pace in Union than there is in League, in this country anyway.

I watched the England Wales game on Saturday, and have to say after watching the SL games last year and Englands world cup campaign and Wigan's start to the year, i was taken aback by the players of both teams to take the ball into contact, look for support, draw a man and pass and run lines that are capable of hurting defences, which brings me on to the second point that Union players have become far more game intelligent than certainly players in SL.

In league i think almost every team does this we have a culture of running our backs/wide men out of space. We have a drift mentality trying to get the outside line but everyone does this meaning we end up with the wide men cramped against the touch line and rarely looking to come inside provide the carrier with an inside option. We have lost the ability to run a straight line, and players like Hock stand out because from time to time they do. Jamie Lyon was another player that hit angles or encouraged those around him to run angles off him and the effects were devistating.

When played well League is undoubtedly the better product, but i feel within the game there is a lethargy to learn and improve itself, and we take this for granted and ojur skill levels are suffering, you could not say after the World Cup Englands elite League players are as skillfull as Englands Elite Union players for example.

Its a worrying time for league regards this issue especially in Wigan with the football team doing well, are people willing to continue to pay to watch a code that is designed to entertain but in truth is not or could they be tempted to watch the football team/Sale Sharks.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach507
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
36649.jpg
King Johns II wrote: 11th July 2018 2019 - Lam (Edwards part time in background) 2020 - Edwards Mr Lebron James replied with :CRAZY: King Johns II wrote: 11th July 2018 I am just letting you know what I have heard is happening the moral or professional aspects are not being discussed. Lam will be the main coach 2019 and Edwards will work along side but not in public view until 2020 maybe we will end up following the Leeds Rhinos director of rugby style. And Mr Lebron James replied with !!!!!! :DRUMMER: Lebron James wrote: Do you want to have a bet on that? I will bet whatever you want on it as long as there is a third party to hold the money. Regards - King James (Lebron) "THERE IS ONLY ONE KING..........JOHNS!":36649.jpg

English Rugby Union will soon be brought to its knees.

With french super 14 comp not having a salary cap. English players are transfering across to France and trebling their wage.

This will obviously ruin the English competition.

But this could also mean that English Rugby Onion clubs pick off Rugby League players

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Or RL players could join the french league as well..

Sonny Bill? Gasnier?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "
The 6 tackle rule protects the ball carrier allowing them to run with the ball making running/ball carrying the main source of attack. RL then constantly features the most exciting part of rugby, running with the ball in attack. '"

It is true games can revolve around kicking too much but good sides can secure possession (which is what RU is all about) without resorting to a kicking game.

The other side of the coin is sides can also tie up possession in the forwards with the backs not getting a look in.

My view is for RU to be attractive it requires the teams to almost agree not to play a percentage game.

RU types will argue a good forwards tussle and low scoring game is as entertaining as any other outcome. It is a forwards game at many levels. My son plays it and is a back and is far less involved than the those in the pack.

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "2, The point scoring system. In RU 3 points for a drop kick, 5 for a try. This creates a situation were several drop kicks can win you the game, its far easier and less entertaining to watch two teams kick for drops when they're down the other teams end. Pushing for a try is more entertaining, this is what happens in RL with 4 points for a try and only 1 for a drop. This allows the drop kick to become a last minute match winning move adding more excitement to the 1 point finish after nearly 80mins of two teams running the ball. '"

Agreed they should bite the bullet and drop the penalties to two points.

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "3, Fitness. A controversial point, but if a man has to do more running over an 80min period he has to be fitter. In league the game is non stop running with minimal kicking, RU has far less running action from the defense and attack. '"

As Jonh says, it's just different types of fitness required.

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "4, The ruck/maul area, difficult to see who has the ball, not entertaining rugby.
'"

The problem is not the ruck or the maul but what happens when it stops with a whistle. They form the inevitable scrum and it is another stoppage. Well executed rucks and mauls do not last forever but should be a prelude to getting the ball out and into play into later phases. What is also frustrating about this aspect of RU is watching the ball come out and then be taken back in again!

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "5, Penalties. In RU due to the nature of the ruck and maul we seed many knock ons then go un-counted for, a sport which contradicts the rules set in place to govern the sport. Forward passes are more 'relaxed'. '"

Unfortunately even since Cummings has been in charge we have changed rules in RL such that the ref must interpret them far more than in the past. I am not convinced RL is not as "clean" a game as it once was for clearly defined rules. Things do go unpunished in RU and the ultimate acknowledgement of that was when lifting in the line out was made legal to cut down the penalties.

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "Fundamentally if we look at the advent of TV and broadcasting in the UK we see the epi being London, public school boys from the south dominating the sport index pushing their 'rugger' as the rugby to hit the airways, granted RU has been around longer managing to build the sport globally forming a fantastic fan base while poor marketing and lack of funding kept 'working mans' RL in the north of England.

The marketing over the years in RL has seen many changes to compete and offer a different 'brand' to RU. SL, changing the names to a more NFL feel after the NRL changed suit. '"

Not sure what your point is here. RU has been the game of the establishment for decades but RL can blame itself for that in part with a poor approach to the international game.

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "But still today we see awesome internationals in RU, massive crowds all attending the 6 nations with a each country having a 'true' national team, whereas in stark contrast we see a RL WC fizzle without any true international bang. '"

They are big occasions but the RU international game is still dominated by a few teams in pretty much the same way RL is. The depth of the RU international game is almost as much of a PR exercise as RL's. Our biggest failing is not getting France as a competitive International side. The game just isn't big enough in Scotland or Ireland to make it sensible to compare. We should have a different slant on International competition and bring the French and PNG on more and have emerging nations competitions (we had one in one world cup and it was a great success which I guess is why we never repeated it!)

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "What I'd give to see a RL 6 nations, a RL WL with the magnitude of the RU WC. So to link back, to raise media attention by bringing over a Johnny Wikinson or an O'Driscoll would be a positive step, raise the profile and help develop the sport in such rugby loving countries as Ireland, Wales Italy and France. '"

It isn't going to happen and if it did I doubt it would have the effect you describe. It would be a blip in the sporting news.

I read in the Mirror 8 page pull out comments from Clare Balding that this year there is no RU world, cup, no major soccer championship and not a lot else going on team sport wise when the SL season is on. She was saying it was time for RL to take the chance to get itself in the shop window while the opportunity was there. Unfortunately I doubt anyone at RL HQ realised this was the case.

Unfortunately we are our own worst enemies.

Dave

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member16601No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
cartoons/WB181.gif
:cartoons/WB181.gif

RU is a game of posession, dont take risks, dont get exposed. It stifles flair players and is generally too stop start. New rules around the ruck/maul allow more players in the defensive line which makes space a premium
Take 2 players out of RU and things could change very quickly, bearing in mind we, RL, have coached out ball players, forward runners, ball playing props and genious halves.
RL sits on the fence, one side is greatness the other obscurity, our greatest failing is tasked with leading us one way or the other, senior management.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20338No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5733.jpeg

Quote: maurice "RU is a game of posession, dont take risks, dont get exposed. It stifles flair players and is generally too stop start. New rules around the ruck/maul allow more players in the defensive line which makes space a premium
Take 2 players out of RU and things could change very quickly, bearing in mind we, RL, have coached out ball players, forward runners, ball playing props and genious halves.
RL sits on the fence, one side is greatness the other obscurity, our greatest failing is tasked with leading us one way or the other, senior management.'"

Starting to sound all too familliar in League circles as well particullarly in the Wigan area sadly.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I simply think, on a game level RL is more enjoyable to watch.

The PR machine with the more established RU is RU's advantage. I'm openly biased towards RL and can't understand why a neutral with sway towards RL or RU could or would prefer the game of RU, Ignoring the platform it's been put on.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1022No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2010Mar 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
24264_1269767994.png
[img:1yocl1oh]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/9113/sigdallasst1.jpg[/img:1yocl1oh]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_24264.png

Union is . I dont know why there is a forum post on it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Then don't bother with it.

Many rugby fans RL or RU like to discuss both codes in contrast.

But I do much prefer RL hands down.

icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1250
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29146.gif
Keep goin wit yed down:29146.gif

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "I simply think, on a game level RL is more enjoyable to watch.

The PR machine with the more established RU is RU's advantage. I'm openly biased towards RL and can't understand why a neutral with sway towards RL or RU could or would prefer the game of RU, Ignoring the platform it's been put on.'"

I agree with this.

On Saturday I had nothing else to do so I sat and watched the Wales - England RU game. It wasn't as good as a decent Rugby League game but I quite enjoyed it.

I am now worried ........Does this mean RU is improving or are my standards falling? Or am I just getting old and Knackered?

Answers on a postcard. icon_sad.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member20409
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[b:3rwwi1cz][color=#800000:3rwwi1cz]WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017 & 2024 SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2018 & 2023 CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011, 2013, 2022 & 2024 LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010, 2012, 2020 & 2023 ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 & 2019 WOMEN’S GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2018 BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011 & 2012 CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012 [/color:3rwwi1cz][/b:3rwwi1cz]:

Quote: King Johns II "English Rugby Union will soon be brought to its knees.

With french super 14 comp not having a salary cap. English players are transfering across to France and trebling their wage.

But this could also mean that English Rugby Onion clubs pick off Rugby League players'"

It's started.

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 893734.stm
Quote: King Johns II "English Rugby Union will soon be brought to its knees.

But this could also mean that English Rugby Onion clubs pick off Rugby League players'"

It's started.

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 893734.stm

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7574No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2013Feb 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17903_1300914398.jpg
[color=#FF0000:1a02isux][b:1a02isux]IN A WARRIORS CODE THERE'S NO SURRENDER....THOUGH HIS BODY SAYS STOP, HIS SPIRIT CRY'S NEVER!!!![/b:1a02isux][/color:1a02isux]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_17903.jpg

On Sky sports news they said Dan Carter is on a reported 35k a game for his 6 month contract icon_eek.gif

51 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
51 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.41845703125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
karetaker
6m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
7m