FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Where will we finish?
50 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member20441
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[b:1wlcmlhe][color=#800000:1wlcmlhe]WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017 & 2024 SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2018 & 2023 CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011, 2013, 2022 & 2024 LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010, 2012, 2020, 2023 & 2024 ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2024 WOMEN’S GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2018 BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2024 CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012 [/color:1wlcmlhe][/b:1wlcmlhe]:

Quote: CJamesy "The fact we could still finish outside the top 2 is a scary thought, if only we hadn’t lost to Wakefield.'"

I've been saying this. To have been 2-3 seconds away from a win where the final ball was kicked towards Field without pressure but giving away a penalty was criminal and still potentially costly.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29673
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Quote: FearTheVee "I think that is probably where things will land but you just never know.

The only one I think is a certainty is the Saints Hull game, the others depend on how all four teams approach things.'"

Saints will win and looking at Salford on Saturday night, I very much doubt they'll get past Catalans because they don't have enough in the forwards. That leaves us at Leigh and it's your best chance of a result because of the emotion of the fixture and what it means to Leigh. I don't think it'll be straightforward for us but if we keep our form up, fingers crossed we'll get the job done.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach709No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

It's a great end to the season and it is reflective of 3 sides being a cut above the rest, albeit all inconsistent!

I think we'll finish top, I just love the way we are approaching games mentally. We are not getting involved in any silly business and aggro, we are just sticking to playing rugby. It has been particularly evident over the last few weeks since the Catalans game. Salford, Leeds and Cas all tried to get under our skin, but we haven't bitten. Fingers crossed the circumstances and atmosphere does not change this on Friday. It will be a good test for us.

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player1200
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: LewCharnock "It's a great end to the season and it is reflective of 3 sides being a cut above the rest, albeit all inconsistent!

I think we'll finish top, I just love the way we are approaching games mentally. We are not getting involved in any silly business and aggro, we are just sticking to playing rugby. It has been particularly evident over the last few weeks since the Catalans game. Salford, Leeds and Cas all tried to get under our skin, but we haven't bitten. Fingers crossed the circumstances and atmosphere does not change this on Friday. It will be a good test for us.'"

In a lot of ways Leigh is a good game for Wigan- if Leigh approach it as they did a couple of weeks ago when we played them. You would like to think that Lam will want to get one over his old employers. Wigan need an intense game though, they've coasted through the last few games and haven't been tested. Even the game in France was a walk in the park.

A couple of fans on here have mocked our attack and its true there doesn't seem to be many points in us and we have been definitely clunky. However when you defend like we do we are bloody hard to score against as evidenced by only conceding two tries in the last two games despite Leigh and Warrington throwing a lot at us.

I've mentioned this before but at this time of the season the conditions change and when its wet and windy its about completing sets and turning the ball over as close as you can to the opposition line and then defending with great line speed to force errors. Thats what we have done over the last couple of weeks and Wellens last line in his Sky interview last Friday was noteworthy- "we are play off ready"

Wigan may need a good hit out at a higher intensity.....

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29673
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Quote: Stu M "In a lot of ways Leigh is a good game for Wigan- if Leigh approach it as they did a couple of weeks ago when we played them. You would like to think that Lam will want to get one over his old employers. Wigan need an intense game though, they've coasted through the last few games and haven't been tested. Even the game in France was a walk in the park.

A couple of fans on here have mocked our attack and its true there doesn't seem to be many points in us and we have been definitely clunky. However when you defend like we do we are bloody hard to score against as evidenced by only conceding two tries in the last two games despite Leigh and Warrington throwing a lot at us.

I've mentioned this before but at this time of the season the conditions change and when its wet and windy its about completing sets and turning the ball over as close as you can to the opposition line and then defending with great line speed to force errors. Thats what we have done over the last couple of weeks and Wellens last line in his Sky interview last Friday was noteworthy- "we are play off ready"

Wigan may need a good hit out at a higher intensity.....'"

It's a great point and one our group was discussing at the game on Friday. We've been playing superbly well and that's great but it's maybe not the best prep for the play offs. The game against Leigh on Friday is one that makes me feel nervy but it's a fantastic fixture for us in most ways because of the reasons you note. They'll challenge us physically and it will be a good mental test and win or lose I think it can stand us in good stead.

I'm keeping everything crossed we get the win but whatever happens, I just hope our fans stick with it because it won't be the end of our chances if we get beat. Just as I believe Saints have every chance of finishing third and winning their first play off game, then away in Catalans and then a Grand Final, I also think we are capable of doing that.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach709No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Stu M "In a lot of ways Leigh is a good game for Wigan- if Leigh approach it as they did a couple of weeks ago when we played them. You would like to think that Lam will want to get one over his old employers. Wigan need an intense game though, they've coasted through the last few games and haven't been tested. Even the game in France was a walk in the park.

Wigan may need a good hit out at a higher intensity.....'"

You're spot on. Essentially it is a play off game for us. Best case scenario is a close, hard fought win with the hubcap secured, then a week off to recharge.

Regarding Saints, they are there already with intensity but what I will say is that they aren't defending as well as was made out on Friday. Leigh a few weeks back and Wire last week spurned a few opportunities (Makinson intercept & Wrench break). They can't afford to do that v Catalans or Wigan. Yes, they're scrambling well but I can't see better sides letting them off the hook.

I still think you'll be in the GF, I'd even say I'm most confident about Saints being at Old Trafford than any other side.

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player1200
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: LewCharnock "You're spot on. Essentially it is a play off game for us. Best case scenario is a close, hard fought win with the hubcap secured, then a week off to recharge.

Regarding Saints, they are there already with intensity but what I will say is that they aren't defending as well as was made out on Friday. Leigh a few weeks back and Wire last week spurned a few opportunities (Makinson intercept & Wrench break). They can't afford to do that v Catalans or Wigan. Yes, they're scrambling well but I can't see better sides letting them off the hook.

I still think you'll be in the GF, I'd even say I'm most confident about Saints being at Old Trafford than any other side.'"

Yeah I agree with you in that we got some luck too. The constant changes in the backline aren't helping but its clear that any team with pace will cause us big problems. Wigan are my biggest worry given their pace across the whole backline and in particular French and Field. We've gone from being "the entertainers" and needing dry weather to win comps to now being a team that performs well in wet weather a la Leeds 07-09 when Sinfield used to kick us to death in those Grand Finals.

I have a sneaky feeling that this year may be one year too far for us and we could come unstuck in France. Finishing 2nd would change that of course but its still all about who is fit come the play offs and an injury or two to any of the key players across all 6 teams could massively influence things.

Incidentally those two bell ringers from Welsby that saved tries on Friday weren't too shabby from someone who apparently can't defend icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7496
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8043.jpg
[quote="-VIKINGMAN-"]TBF he's a good lad Snowy. A wind up merchant but a good lad. :lol:[/quote] [quote="-VIKINGMAN-"]That sig snowy is Ssooooooooooo old !!![/quote] OOpps - nowt changes !! [b]Widnes 8 Leigh 10 LOL!!! Leigh 23 Widnes 16 LOL!! Leigh 30 Widnes 16 LOL!! Widnes 18 Leigh 38 Oh Dear !! Leigh 54 Widnes 16 FFS!!! Leigh 50 Widnes 18 We gave them 3 tries !!! Widnes 18 Leigh 24 Still no points in the 2nd half!! Good luck Widnes. See you in 2015 !![/b]:8043.jpg

Quote: BoredWiganer "The sell out is looking likely mate. We are onto our final allocation which can only be purchased online now for the East and i imagine will go quickly. You guys have posted north sold out and last comment on west was 200 left so can't be many there either. No comment on East from your end, but must be confident of filling it if we are being offered no more.

Should be a great night.'"

Its sold out. The last 26 tickets went this morning. A real pity that the stadium will have a reduced capacity due to the entertainment and the reserved seating for the South Stand. In Hindsight, should be reserved !

Still, not bad for a little Pit Village Bus Stop, but lets hope we give you a game and give you plenty to think about. You cant beat a Leigh / Wigan Derby with a full house and a bit of needle !!

Good luck.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11377
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2960.jpg
:2960.jpg

Quote: NickyKiss "Just as I believe Saints have every chance of finishing third and winning their first play off game, then away in Catalans and then a Grand Final, I also think we are capable of doing that.'"

There is absolutely no question thst both Saints and Wigan could do that. I still think that when it really ramps up, both will have too much for Catalans.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11377
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2960.jpg
:2960.jpg

Quote: LewCharnock "Regarding Saints, they are there already with intensity but what I will say is that they aren't defending as well as was made out on Friday. Leigh a few weeks back and Wire last week spurned a few opportunities (Makinson intercept & Wrench break).'"

I agree Wire left points out there and a better side would have taken advantage of some of the opportunties they comically bodged.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1850No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20169 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

St Helens have been playing at play off intensity for a couple of weeks now. Part of me thinks that puts them at an advantage in the play offs, I’m also hoping they burn out (can’t see it though)

I was fearing this game v Leigh but agree with a lot of comments. It’s exactly what we need.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2973
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Hopefully we'll turn up on Friday with the same attitude we had against Cats and Leeds for that matter, if we do and Leigh turn us over then fair play to them

RankPostsTeam
International Star3922
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
65656_1708941604.jpg
[size=95:2obtgspq]23 LEAGUE TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]21 CHALLENGE CUPS[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]5 WORLD TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [b:2obtgspq][color=#FF0000:2obtgspq][size=100:2obtgspq]SAYS IT ALL REALLY[/size:2obtgspq][/color:2obtgspq][/b:2obtgspq]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_65656.jpg

Quote: Trainman "St Helens have been playing at play off intensity for a couple of weeks now. Part of me thinks that puts them at an advantage in the play offs, I’m also hoping they burn out (can’t see it though)

I was fearing this game v Leigh but agree with a lot of comments. It’s exactly what we need.'"

ATEOTD, there has to come a time when it doesn't matter if Saints are "in playoff form", gearing up for another title tilt or whatever else people want to say.

If we're going to be successful, then WE need to find a way to win. We need to be playing playoff footy etc. Catalan away was us putting a marker down and, quite simply, going to Leigh and wrapping up the LLS, with all the benefits it brings, has to be another.

To be frank, over the last few years I'd say we've choked more than we've delivered. We now need to start delivering.

It's as simple as that.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member20441
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[b:1wlcmlhe][color=#800000:1wlcmlhe]WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017 & 2024 SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2018 & 2023 CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011, 2013, 2022 & 2024 LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010, 2012, 2020, 2023 & 2024 ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2024 WOMEN’S GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2018 BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2024 CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012 [/color:1wlcmlhe][/b:1wlcmlhe]:

Quote: apollosghost "Hopefully we'll turn up on Friday with the same attitude we had against Cats and Leeds for that matter, if we do and Leigh turn us over then fair play to them'"

Our defence recently has been extremely good. We've either nulled teams or kept them to the odd try. If we can do this against Leigh by keeping them to 1-2 tries then we can remain vonfident.

That said, weather this week looks pretty crap I think, so a wet pitch could turn the game into an arm wrestle and ultimately a closer scoreline.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2972
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg
:icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg

Quote: sergeant pepper "ATEOTD, there has to come a time when it doesn't matter if Saints are "in playoff form", gearing up for another title tilt or whatever else people want to say.

If we're going to be successful, then WE need to find a way to win. We need to be playing playoff footy etc. Catalan away was us putting a marker down and, quite simply, going to Leigh and wrapping up the LLS, with all the benefits it brings, has to be another.

To be frank, over the last few years I'd say we've choked more than we've delivered. We now need to start delivering.

It's as simple as that.'"

I think in recent years we haven’t choked but we were just not good enough. Earlier in season I thought we had very little chance of winning the GF. Now I think we may have a chance but still think Saints will land the GF honours because they have shown repeatedly that they can deliver when the pressure is on and because they have the better and more experienced players in playoffs.
If we beat Leyth on Friday then maybe we are maturing as a team and we may possibly go on to land the GF. If we lose then we probably have to beat Wire, Saints/Catalan and Catalan/Saints in 3 consecutive weeks and I think that will be beyond us even if we don’t get anymore injuries or suspensions.
I’m a little worried how French will perform when the intensity reaches much higher levels and for me Mago still isn’t good enough or potentially fit enough when he comes up against Saints or Catalan when it’s hey lads hey.
On the plus side Smith is by some margin the best playmaker in competition, Field looks particularly good at the moment and confidence within the club must be exceptionally high at the moment.

Hopefully I’m underestimating where we are as a squad but I still think that we might fall short when it really counts. Maybe the losses at Wakefield, Newcastle and the CCSF are blurring my thoughts too much and maybe we really have turned the corner.

50 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
50 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.0546875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
karetaker
15m
Rumours thread
Trojan Horse
20m