Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_29557.png

Quote: Pemps "I'm not a huge fan of the warriors name, but I'm nearly 50. I suppose I'm not that d to kick up a fuss about it either. I have far better things to worry about. My god son is 14 and refers to us as the Warriors. Kids loved Max the warrior. It's here to stay.'"

I have to say that those who feel the Warriors part of the name has failed are living in their own bubble (topical reference for you there!) I know from introducing my son to the club that supporters new to the game tend to refer to the club by using the Warriors epithet just as much as they do the Wigan part.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner234
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7307_1604754328.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7307.jpeg

Quote: post "Can you put a picture of said badge and kits please?'"

https://facebook.com/matthainessport/po ... 6104582552
Quote: post "Can you put a picture of said badge and kits please?'"

https://facebook.com/matthainessport/po ... 6104582552

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5477
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png

Quote: Darwen Warrior "https
It's huge!!

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner234
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7307_1604754328.jpeg

Quote: Pemps "I've seen it, and it doesn't work. The Ancient & Loyal is too small and the lions are to intricate. whoever designed that hasn't listened to the brief at all.
'"

Fair enough. I don’t think he was paying too much attention to the brief, to be honest. Think he was just doing it for his own amusement more than anything, although he does state somewhere that he has done designs for other clubs.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner234
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7307_1604754328.jpeg

Quote: Phuzzy "It's huge!!'"

Haha, yeah as big as some sponsors! icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2972
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg
:icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg

Quote: NickyKiss "Lenagan has got some things wrong for sure but my word he’s got more right and a lot of his decisions have been spectacularly right. I believe he’s an absolute legend of this club and I shudder to think where we could’ve been without him. It doesn’t mean you back every call he makes regardless of you being in favour or not but he deserves masses of respect.

The club we support today compared to the one he took over is chalk and cheese. I’m not chuffed with the badge but they’ve rebuilt a lot of our tradition and have constantly pushed our heritage in various ways. The pushing of the youth system gives everyone great pride. To see so many players come through and debut in his time has been my biggest highlight.

In short, I’ll forgive him for changing our badge and see how it plays out.'"

I've been thinking quite extensively about this since the weekend and on reflection its not the change that saddens me anymore its more about the execution of the product and an awareness that this was really a momentous decision..

I knew that the change was coming - Ive been aware for it for months. If I'm honest I'd forgotten it was "still on the go".

On reflection for me personally I shouldn't have watched the heritage video which I loved because I'm in my element embellished in club nostalgia. I think one or two people criticised the technical quality of the product which I couldn't even start to comment on but I thought the content and ethos was first class. I never give 10 out of 10 but I'd give it a strong 9. The emotion of all the history and what defines Wigan ending with a badge that looked like a blob of red was a bit of a roller coaster.

I don't like the new badge. Its too cluttered, too much cherry red, too bland, too much like a plethora of other badges and for me looks amateurish. There's nothing special or unique about it other than we have a "Warrior" who I don't think anyone has given any positive feedback on either on here or other social media outlets. It doesn't matter what I think and I'm fully aware of that and have zero issues or problems with those who like and embrace it. I haven't seen or heard of people embracing the new badge but maybe that will come with time. In terms of uniqueness I suspect that this doesn't really matter at the moment but for me if we are making such major changes I would have preferred

I'm still unsure as to the major reason for the change.
Was it predominantly SL or Sky TV pressure?
The cost of production piece I can sort of understand to a degree. Poor quality of the A&L on various platforms has zero impact on me personally but can to a degree understand this argument. To these 2 arguments I could argue the New Zealand Siver Fearn probably has the same issues but the chances of the All Blacks jettisoning this iconic symbol is less than zero.
A combination of the above and perhaps the need to reboot the brand is where I think we are but still unsure. If I'm interpreting it correctly then the brand is The Warriors but unsure what Ancient & Loyal represents on the badge?

I placated myself in that they will bring back A&L in 2022 which I think somewhere I have seen there will be some sort of heritage game where the A&L badge will be used. Although I've been pontificating and stating categorically that this will not maybe but will occur I now think that this would be wrong.

In the last day or so I have come to the conclusion that If we are to go through this pain and for me when the penny finally dropped that the Ancient & Loyal has been consigned to history I felt a little surreal so for me it is pain albeit not in a physical sense, then let's do this thoroughly and not half heartedly.

In the video where KR went through the rationale for the change and the process involved at one point he stated that IL wanted to be more bold and now I've thought it through IL is probably right. He will be fully aware of the pain and cost and probably thinks if we are going to do this then lets do once and get it done with. I think the problem is that with the new badge it wont be once and I think that it will quickly be refreshed as quickly as conscience will allow. In the future I suspect we will drop the Ancient & Loyal (in hindsight should not have been retained) and revamp the "Warrior".
I thought that KR was very good in the videos and certainly from a presentational point of view he is growing into his role admirably. Obviously a well rehed piece but still delivered with great professionalism.

For me if this rebrand it to work we need to stop looking backwards and continually look forward. Mixed message of Ancient & Loyal and Warriors to me just doesn't work and gives a confusing message.We need to stop referring to The Wigan Way and use The Warrior Way. All press briefings need to refer to The Warriors. If we really believe in The Warriors then the use of Wigan as the feature on the majority if not all marketing should be dropped. We should be advising Sky that during commentaries and any news updates then we should be referred to as The Warriors.
City, United, 49'rs, Jets, The Storm, The Broncos, Raiders, Chiefs...…. The Warriors

I suspect that if we do not do this then we will have had the heartache of major fundamental changes without the expected/targeted benefits.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Do I like the badge? No
Will it stop me buying club products? No
Stop me going to games? No
Can I get used to it? Yes

That’s what it boils down to. We all knew, as much as we’d rather not, that the club crest wasn’t going to last as was forever. To be a success a business has to be adapting constantly which is what we have done. I’m all for nostalgia and tradition, in certain aspects of my life (work especially) I’m murder for it. I much prefer the badge designed with the castle and crown in the middle and would rather we drop the “Warriors” tag and roll with “Wigan RLFC”.

But we’ve had it for over 20yrs now. There’s fans of ours of an adult age who’s never known us as anything else who’s feel just as strongly as we do on the opposing side. We’re all not going to be here in 70/80years time (I hope we are!) and to ensure our club is we’ve got to keep moving forward.

I trust IL and KR to make decisions that benefit the club, they’ve had far more right than they have wrong. Look back to where we were before with Uncle Mo and DW and it’s worlds apart. We’ve shored up and made solid foundations to build the club on, consistently competitive on and off the pitch and attract the worlds finest players.

I don’t like the badge. But I love my club and the direction it’s going on, I’m going along with it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5477
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png

As 100% says above, I'm more interested in the club than the badge. I sort of wish they'd gone about it by engaging the fans more in the first instance but it's not the be all and end all. Pity it overshadowed the derby win and the French signing though.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20333_1393344959.gif
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid. Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal. Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_20333.gif

Quote: 100% Warrior "Do I like the badge? No
Will it stop me buying club products? No
Stop me going to games? No
Can I get used to it? Yes

That’s what it boils down to. We all knew, as much as we’d rather not, that the club crest wasn’t going to last as was forever. To be a success a business has to be adapting constantly which is what we have done. I’m all for nostalgia and tradition, in certain aspects of my life (work especially) I’m murder for it. I much prefer the badge designed with the castle and crown in the middle and would rather we drop the “Warriors” tag and roll with “Wigan RLFC”.

But we’ve had it for over 20yrs now. There’s fans of ours of an adult age who’s never known us as anything else who’s feel just as strongly as we do on the opposing side. We’re all not going to be here in 70/80years time (I hope we are!) and to ensure our club is we’ve got to keep moving forward.

I trust IL and KR to make decisions that benefit the club, they’ve had far more right than they have wrong. Look back to where we were before with Uncle Mo and DW and it’s worlds apart. We’ve shored up and made solid foundations to build the club on, consistently competitive on and off the pitch and attract the worlds finest players.

I don’t like the badge. But I love my club and the direction it’s going on, I’m going along with it.'"

Yes businesses need to change with the times, but not change for change sake and not change things that don't need changing. I don't like the Warriors tag but its been around long enough now and Im ok with it. A modernisation of the badge would be fine as a sideline, to run alongside the proper badge but this particular badge is naff at best.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: post "Yes businesses need to change with the times, but not change for change sake and not change things that don't need changing. I don't like the Warriors tag but its been around long enough now and Im ok with it. A modernisation of the badge would be fine as a sideline, to run alongside the proper badge but this particular badge is naff at best.'"

The thing is I don’t disagree, you certainly won’t see me cheering it. It could have been done better or had more of a fan involvement but it’s done and dusted. We all now need to move on. It’s a huge week for the club and some rather unexpected silverware on offer (even if it’s just the hub cap). This week and coming weeks are huge for us as a club, for one the results will dictate Lam’s fate.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20333_1393344959.gif
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid. Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal. Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_20333.gif

Quote: 100% Warrior "The thing is I don’t disagree, you certainly won’t see me cheering it. It could have been done better or had more of a fan involvement but it’s done and dusted. We all now need to move on. It’s a huge week for the club and some rather unexpected silverware on offer (even if it’s just the hub cap). This week and coming weeks are huge for us as a club, for one the results will dictate Lam’s fate.'"

The badge with the castle is 10 times better than the White Walker badge, IIRC our badge was just a castle when shown on BBC in the mid 90s.

Our crest badge has been hard won and hard fought for and earned over hundreds of years. It wasn't dreamt up in a boardroom by someone who knows his way round photoshop, ours has history and was created piecemeal by Royals/Kings and we should be proud of that. I couldn't give a toss if the bloke from a kit designers thinks its too much hard work, then tough. Its who we are.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Aug 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69704_1656949802.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_69704.jpg

Quote: post "The badge with the castle is 10 times better than the White Walker badge, IIRC our badge was just a castle when shown on BBC in the mid 90s.

Our crest badge has been hard won and hard fought for and earned over hundreds of years. It wasn't dreamt up in a boardroom by someone who knows his way round photoshop, ours has history and was created piecemeal by Royals/Kings and we should be proud of that. I couldn't give a toss if the bloke from a kit designers thinks its too much hard work, then tough. Its who we are.'"

You've boycotted the club. What do you care.

By the time you come back when every player that knelt has left, we might have changed it back.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20333_1393344959.gif

Quote: Egg Chasing "You've boycotted the club. What do you care.

By the time you come back when every player that knelt has left, we might have changed it back.'"

True, by that time our badge will have Kelvin the gorrila either side insted of Lions and the Edwards Pie man instead of the Castle.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5477
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png

Quote: post "True, by that time our badge will have Kelvin the gorrila either side insted of Lions and the Edwards Pie man instead of the Castle.'"

Now that's a design I could get behind! icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: post "The badge with the castle is 10 times better than the White Walker badge, IIRC our badge was just a castle when shown on BBC in the mid 90s.

Our crest badge has been hard won and hard fought for and earned over hundreds of years. It wasn't dreamt up in a boardroom by someone who knows his way round photoshop, ours has history and was created piecemeal by Royals/Kings and we should be proud of that. I couldn't give a toss if the bloke from a kit designers thinks its too much hard work, then tough. Its who we are.'"

Again, completely agree. The warrior (or white Walker) just looks tacky to me. The castle helps modernise the badge whilst also nodding to our heritage. Much like the Wigan Athletic badge does for them or the Man City badge for them.

370 posts in 26 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
370 posts in 26 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.40087890625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
1m
Film game
Boss Hog
17m
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
18m
Shopping list for 2025
UllFC
21m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
UllFC
40m
Leigh it is
Warrior Wing
49m
Call for funds
Tony Fax
55m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Loiner at la
60m
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
Recent
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Film game
Boss Hog
43s
Ground Improvements
imwakefieldt
46s
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
1m
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
1m
Call for funds
Tony Fax
1m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
2m
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
3m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
5m
Whitehaven Away
the fax in a
6m
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
MorePlaymake
TODAY
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Mr Snoodle
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
Chris71
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
karetaker
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
TODAY
Leigh it is
Warrior Wing
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
Cokey
TODAY
Must do better
Wires71
TODAY
Warrington Wolves Break Saints Hearts With Golden Point Win
RLFANS News
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 1,725 80,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 Sat 5th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22