JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2022Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I think whats more alarming than who is in the right and the wrong is the mass exodus of talent at the same sort of time. You can talk about how long Tommy had been here and how he wanted a change etc. but the numbers of high quality players that have left all around the same time point towards something not being right IMO. It could just be bad luck that all these players have suddenly decided they want out at the same sort of time? When Wane took over and there was all the talk of Sam following Joel to RU Wane went public and said that whilst we cant compete with the money in RU he wanted to create the type of atmosphere at the club that players would not want to leave. It seems like players are wanting to leave more than ever to me. The only real world class players we have now got left are Sam and O'Loughlin and we already know that Sam wont be here for much longer infact id be amazed if he is still here by the end of this season.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2088
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Wigan Peer "True.

I'm just not sure what your reason is for bringing up Brian Noble. You can't, as has been mentioned, compare the two. My point was that if Wane had been the "Issue" in this instance, i'm certain that IL as a successful businessman, which necessitates man management, would not be waving "bye bye" to Mr Hock. Equally, i'm certain that if Mr Noble had not been doing as required he too would have been sent on a "season loan" or its equivalent.'"

When it comes to disputes between a player and a coach the chairman only really has two options - find an amicable solution or get rid of the player. Even if Lenegan wasn't convinced about Wane's abilities (I'm not saying he is or he isn't) it would be pretty damaging to sack him because it suggests a large amount of player power and there's the risk of making the club look like a poor option for a potential coach.
I've little doubt that Lenegan grew impatient with Noble, it became increasingly obvious towards the end of Noble's tenure that Lenegan expected more. Some chairmen would have sacked him and gone for an immediate solution but I suspect IL is smart enough to know that a good coach would be much more willing to take on a job if he knew his position was reasonably secure for the duration of their contract.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5846
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg
Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper. Big Steve wrote: The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them. aboveusonlypie... If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.:icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Cherry.Pie "When it comes to disputes between a player and a coach the chairman only really has two options - find an amicable solution or get rid of the player. Even if Lenegan wasn't convinced about Wane's abilities (I'm not saying he is or he isn't) it would be pretty damaging to sack him because it suggests a large amount of player power and there's the risk of making the club look like a poor option for a potential coach.
I've little doubt that Lenegan grew impatient with Noble, it became increasingly obvious towards the end of Noble's tenure that Lenegan expected more. Some chairmen would have sacked him and gone for an immediate solution but I suspect IL is smart enough to know that a good coach would be much more willing to take on a job if he knew his position was reasonably secure for the duration of their contract.'"

You make it sound as if contracts are worth something... icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star3922
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
65656_1708941604.jpg
[size=95:2obtgspq]23 LEAGUE TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]21 CHALLENGE CUPS[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]5 WORLD TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [b:2obtgspq][color=#FF0000:2obtgspq][size=100:2obtgspq]SAYS IT ALL REALLY[/size:2obtgspq][/color:2obtgspq][/b:2obtgspq]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_65656.jpg

I don't for a second blame Wane for this fiasco but i still can't believe there are people out there who think that Wane should be the head coach at Wigan.

It's worrying how far some fans heads are embedded in the sand when it comes to our head coach and his obvious failings.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Wigan Peer "You make it sound as if contracts are worth something...
Given Hock can't get out of his on his terms, clearly they are. icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner12006No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6278_1381491357.jpg
[b:3ekusm3q][color=#FF0000:3ekusm3q]WIGAN RLFC[/color:3ekusm3q][/b:3ekusm3q]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6278.jpg

Quote: sergeant pepper "I don't for a second blame Wane for this fiasco but i still can't believe there are people out there who think that Wane should be the head coach at Wigan.

It's worrying how far some fans heads are embedded in the sand when it comes to our head coach and his obvious failings.'"

What failings are these?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: sybutwhy? "Bought three unproven players out of their contracts, splunked god knows how much (enough to wipe out last season's profits i'm led to believe) on training facilities and given three hundred and twenty six local players their debuts. On top of getting rid of the club's star forward and allowing older (slower) players to leave without matching replacements.

Lenegan's given SW the reigns, backing, support, foot massages and anything else he wants. No way is this short term. Good or bad as that may be.'"

Is the guy who told you we've "wasted all last year's profits on training facilities" the same guy who told you that we should all have been informed Hock was going to Widnes before the deal was signed? I wouldn't be surprised.

Perhaps he was the same guy who advised Hock to avoid training and get himself sacked - right on the eve of a new season (you know, when everyone else has spent up). Good call, that one.

PS: Chairmen backing their coaches over players who've brought the club into disrepute time and time again tend not to be an unusual breed.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach2473No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9357_1623419489.png
[img]https://i.imgur.com/yQKRyyP.jpg[/img]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9357.png

Quote: Cruncher "Gareth Hock will be 32 when his current contract at Wigan expires, and by the looks of it he'll be spending all that time at different clubs, on loan. Presumably none of them will be table-toppers.

What a great end to his career.

I wonder if this is what he envisaged when he marched into the head office and demanded pay-rises, demanded a transfer, refused to train, etc.'"

He will not be playing at nd top superleague sides thats for sure, im sure wigan would sell him to an nrl club though

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5846
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg
Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper. Big Steve wrote: The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them. aboveusonlypie... If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.:icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg

Quote: DaveO "Given Hock can't get out of his on his terms, clearly they are.
I'll give you that... lol..

But this is rare instance is probably down to GH and his agents bad handling of the situation. Most people seem to be able to get out of a contract they don't want to be in....

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman8134No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I think Shaun Wane should be head coach.
He was deputy to Mcguire and will have learned a lot from him. To me IL did the right thing and gave him a two year deal with a one year option.
In his first season, despite some mistakes, his team topped the League after 27 games and won the Shield. Not the most prestigious these days but IMO the most difficult to win.
SW's Wigan were the most consistent team in the League and for a period were playing some of the most breathtaking Rugby I've seen for years.
We are now in a situation where we've lost a number of key players who have been difficult to replace, Carmont being the most obvious. Green, Taylor and Smith have to be given a chance and we'll see this season whether they have been good signings or not.
As for GH, when he came back and signed the 5 year deal I always suspected it may end in tears, which it has done.
Just look at the poor lad's face in that Widnes photo. He looks utterly bewildered and totally lost. Not seen the interview but I'm sure he said all the right words. Not a player or man to attract sympathy but I do feel somewhat sorry for him, that photo says an awful lot!
I just wonder who has been advising him.
From IL's statement it reads like he should have received better advice somewhere along the line.
If this has been coming for a while then SW will have his squad sorted and know where each player will be, given that GH is no longer a squad member.
I do think that maybe we are in unchartered territory with his contract. I've never heard of anyone going on a one year loan when there's three and a half years remaining on his contract.
Suppose it goes belly up at Widnes, they can unload him at the end of the season. Would any other club take him on then or is he back with us?
As we all know GH is a still very much a contracted Wigan player.
How it pans out from here will be interesting given his contract status.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1087No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Jul 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23355.jpg
:23355.jpg

Quote: Wigan28/Leeds18 Andy "If that statement from Lenagan was a "peace keeping exercise", I dread to think what he would have written if he was peed off. There's no way Hock will ever play for Wigan again after that statement.'"

He doesn't want to play again hence the statement!

RankPostsTeam
International Star278No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Father Ted "I think Shaun Wane should be head coach.
He was deputy to Mcguire and will have learned a lot from him. To me IL did the right thing and gave him a two year deal with a one year option.
In his first season, despite some mistakes, his team topped the League after 27 games and won the Shield. Not the most prestigious these days but IMO the most difficult to win.
SW's Wigan were the most consistent team in the League and for a period were playing some of the most breathtaking Rugby I've seen for years.
We are now in a situation where we've lost a number of key players who have been difficult to replace, Carmont being the most obvious. Green, Taylor and Smith have to be given a chance and we'll see this season whether they have been good signings or not.
As for GH, when he came back and signed the 5 year deal I always suspected it may end in tears, which it has done.
Just look at the poor lad's face in that Widnes photo. He looks utterly bewildered and totally lost. Not seen the interview but I'm sure he said all the right words. Not a player or man to attract sympathy but I do feel somewhat sorry for him, that photo says an awful lot!
From IL's statement it reads like he should have received better advice somewhere along the line.
If this has been coming for a while then SW will have his squad sorted and know where each player will be, given that GH is no longer a squad member.
I do think that maybe we are in unchartered territory with his contract. I've never heard of anyone going on a one year loan when there's three and a half years remaining on his contract.
Suppose it goes belly up at Widnes, they can unload him at the end of the season. Would any other club take him on then or is he back with us?
How it pans out from here will be interesting given his contract status.'"

I know the circumstances are different in terms of how the loan was instigated, but is he not in exactly the same situation as were Smith and Moore, when at Saints, they were both shipped out on 12 month loan deals to various clubs whilst still under long contracts with Saints. I suppose the main difference being that (I assume) either Smith or Moore would have jumped at the chance of being told they were wanted back at Saints. For the moment at least Hock seems to have no desire to play for Wigan again.

The whole thing is quite bewildering, naturally as a Widnes fan I am delighted and you wonder what truth, if any, there was in stories of Hock coming to us in 2013 as early as June last year.

He seems a little more relaxed on this Youtube video www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl8kM7-Q ... PVt5BeR2hk
Quote: Father Ted "I think Shaun Wane should be head coach.
How it pans out from here will be interesting given his contract status.'"

I know the circumstances are different in terms of how the loan was instigated, but is he not in exactly the same situation as were Smith and Moore, when at Saints, they were both shipped out on 12 month loan deals to various clubs whilst still under long contracts with Saints. I suppose the main difference being that (I assume) either Smith or Moore would have jumped at the chance of being told they were wanted back at Saints. For the moment at least Hock seems to have no desire to play for Wigan again.

The whole thing is quite bewildering, naturally as a Widnes fan I am delighted and you wonder what truth, if any, there was in stories of Hock coming to us in 2013 as early as June last year.

He seems a little more relaxed on this Youtube video www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl8kM7-Q ... PVt5BeR2hk

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1087No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Jul 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23355.jpg
:23355.jpg

Quote: Viva La Vikings!! "www.youtube.com/watch?v
Don't forget he is still a Wigan player! I hope he plays very well for Widnes and helps them to some wins against our main rivals. Under the deal he won't play against Wigan. Under the circumstances dealt to the Wigan club this is a good deal.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: WirralViking "I know the circumstances are different in terms of how the loan was instigated, but is he not in exactly the same situation as were Smith and Moore, when at Saints, they were both shipped out on 12 month loan deals to various clubs whilst still under long contracts with Saints. I suppose the main difference being that (I assume) either Smith or Moore would have jumped at the chance of being told they were wanted back at Saints. For the moment at least Hock seems to have no desire to play for Wigan again.'"

And it doesn't seem like Wigan want him here either so if that is the case despite the fact I am all for players being held to contracts would it be possible to challenge Wigan as being unreasonable here? That is Wigan hold him to a contract when they have not intention of letting through the door again? Very different to simply wanting a player to fulfil his contractual obligations.

Quote: WirralViking "The whole thing is quite bewildering, naturally as a Widnes fan I am delighted and you wonder what truth, if any, there was in stories of Hock coming to us in 2013 as early as June last year.'"

It's all part of IL's master plan. He can knock spots off our mutual rivals playing for you and destabilises your squad while he does it. Agent Hock it is icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1091No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

'There's only one code of rugby.':

Seems to me that Hock's tried to bluff/bully his way out fo the club, IL has called him on it and now the guy's in limbo. Being shipped around to lower league clubs on loan isn't a great way to end your career. I just wonder if any teams would actually want to buy him in view of what IL has come out and said...

559 posts in 38 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
559 posts in 38 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.52685546875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Jake the Peg
12m
Season tickets
Faxlore
17m
Leigh it is
moto748
18m
Film game
Boss Hog
22m
Championship Awards
Butcher
24m
Best Semi
Wires71
36m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Emagdnim13
44m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
Recent
2025 membership/renewals
BP1
Recent
Call for funds
the fax in a
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
2025 membership/renewals
BP1
44s
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
50s
Recruitment rumours and links
MorePlaymake
58s
Call for funds
the fax in a
1m
Rumours thread
Trojan Horse
2m
Leigh it is
moto748
2m
Shopping list for 2025
UllFC
3m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
3m
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
moxi1
4m
Man of Steel
matt_wire
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Championship Awards
Butcher
TODAY
Season tickets
Faxlore
TODAY
Best Semi
Wires71
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Deeeekos
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
Lord Tony Sm
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
leeds owl
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Douglas Blac
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
BP1
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
moxi1
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 3,040 ↑16780,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 23 569 298 271 36
Hull KR 22 575 269 306 34
Warrington 23 590 301 289 34
St.Helens 23 524 340 184 26
Catalans 22 403 344 59 26
Salford 22 393 425 -32 26

Leigh 22 466 326 140 23
Leeds 22 407 392 15 22
Huddersfield 22 392 488 -96 16
Castleford 22 354 579 -225 13
Hull FC 22 290 683 -393 6
LondonB 22 261 775 -514 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22