FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Your views on the younger players?
29 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15445
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: Riggs Warrior "I've got to say that some of the people on here have very short memories. Just because everything has been going well this season, people seem to forget the impact some of our younger players have had previously.

Last season between them Sam and Shaun Ainscough kickstarted our run to the playoff semi final in the game against Harlequins. Yet because of his impact on the salary cap should he play a certain number of games Ainscough was dropped, whilst being the leading scorer in SL. This season unfortunately hasn't gone too well for him; he went to Cas where he had a fantastic debut but ended up playing in a team with some serious issues, who were going through a terrible run of form. He came back and played in possibly our worst performance of the season, playing outside a centre who looks like his running days are behind him and forgot how to tackle on the night.

We are currently blessed with the most potent and exciting attacking back line up in SL, for heavens sake last season's best fb can't get a start but there are clearly going to be a few changes over the next three seasons - Gleeson and Carmont aren't getting any younger, Roberts and Pat will I believe eventually head back down-under and Phelps I would expect to leave at the end of this season.

Ainscough would run through a brick wall for Wigan Warriors, I truly think that he is still one of the most exciting prospects in the game and I am certain that under the guidance of Rads and Mags he will improve the defensive side of his game. Some of us on here seem to have slipped into the midset that because we are Wigan we have a God given right to perfection. (It was KP under the kosh a few weeks back and Goulding before him!) It seems to me that a few of us like nothing better than to moan and unfortunately for Shaun he's the target at the moment.

I will end by saying that I hope Shaun Ainscough is a Wigan player for a long time to come, the lad is an out and out try scorer but is also a 'rough diamond', who requires some guidance from his coaches. And whilst I'm on cliches for all of the haters out there - I will end with this

[size"Form is temporary, class is permanent"[/size'"

I hope you're not trying to say I'm a Shaun Ainscough hater, I have a reputation for being his biggest fan! Doesn't change the fact that they don't look too keen on giving him a go. Goulding and Pryce are both ahead of him at the moment. You're right in that Phelps will probably go at the end of the year, that leaves one shirt free for either a full back or a winger (with Roberts playing FB), I think it'll be a winger, Darrell Goulding.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15445
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: Coventry Warrior! "Rogues what do you think is likely to happen regarding Veivers? Is it possible for him to come in at FB and have Roberts and Richards on the wings, or is the better option Roberts at FB and Richards and Charnley/Ainscough on the wing?'"

You're ignoring Darrell Goulding completely there, he's surely the best bet for the 2 shirt next year.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5799No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2015May 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23564_1342783768.png
[b][color=#0000BF]SUPPORT • SPONSOR • PLAY • JOIN A MIDLANDS RUGBY LEAGUE SUCCESS STORY //www.coventrybears.co.uk[/color][/b]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23564.png

Quote: Grimmy "You're ignoring Darrell Goulding completely there, he's surely the best bet for the 2 shirt next year.'"

icon_surprised.gifops: Completely forgot about him!

If Phelps goes then I expect to see Goulding have the No2 shirt with Roberts at FB. Its a shame that Phelps takes up a quota spot because if he didn't he would be ideal squad player to have. I dont think he will be leaving because he's not needed, just entirely down to the quota.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32338
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

Quote: Coventry Warrior! "Rogues what do you think is likely to happen regarding Veivers? Is it possible for him to come in at FB and have Roberts and Richards on the wings, or is the better option Roberts at FB and Richards and Charnley/Ainscough on the wing?'"

Personally I would go with Roberts at fullback (it could be Sam if we sign Brown) and leave Goulding and Pat on the wings.
Charnley and Ainscough would battle it out for the "reserve "wing spot. That leaves Pryce.

He could really throw a spanner in the works (and I hope he does) of he carries on his improvement, as he could put pressure on the centre and wing positions, as could Goulding. I suppose it will all depend on what happens to Carmont and Phelps.

And I've not even included Marsh (or indeed Thornley).

I have a feeling Ainscough will "move on".

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach162No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2012Apr 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
cartoons/WB161.gif
:cartoons/WB161.gif

Quote: Grimmy "I hope you're not trying to say I'm a Shaun Ainscough hater, I have a reputation for being his biggest fan! Doesn't change the fact that they don't look too keen on giving him a go. Goulding and Pryce are both ahead of him at the moment. You're right in that Phelps will probably go at the end of the year, that leaves one shirt free for either a full back or a winger (with Roberts playing FB), I think it'll be a winger, Darrell Goulding.'"

Not directed at you personally Grimmy, but for the last few weeks I've been reading post after post slagging off the lad. He's not the complete winger but considering how desperate IL and a lot of the members of this site are to see a WIGAN team in every sense of the word, and given the talent the lad has he still has the potential at 20 years old to become a regular in our side.

I can see parallels with Kevin Penny at Warrington, a very talented lad who displayed early potential and then had the weight of expectation piled upon his shoulders, only to faulter and be villified by many of the Wire fans. It's getting to the point of , were young players aren't given the time to adapt and develop!

I appreciate everything that is being said regarding the current teams contracts and I agree with Cov Warrior that ideally Pat would stay for life; but there is every chance that with the class he displays week in, week out that he will return to Oz (were I believe his extended family still live?) at some point?

One more thing - Rogue's I mean no disrespect - How do you know that payments weren't involved in him being dropped? I was told by a source (who I have no reason to doubt) that it was down to a clause in his contract that would have made it difficult for us to stay under the cap after signing Gleeson.

Best case scenario, if the near future is looking bleak get him loaned out to our supposed NRL link team (if they ever appear) then get him played in their reserves (I realise that with the Storm's problems they're unlikely to want to pursue a link with us). Otherwise get him sent to one of the other top 8 teams on loan like Stains did with Moore for a year or two!

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

Quote: Riggs Warrior "Not directed at you personally Grimmy, but for the last few weeks I've been reading post after post slagging off the lad. He's not the complete winger but considering how desperate IL and a lot of the members of this site are to see a WIGAN team in every sense of the word, and given the talent the lad has he still has the potential at 20 years old to become a regular in our side.

I can see parallels with Kevin Penny at Warrington, a very talented lad who displayed early potential and then had the weight of expectation piled upon his shoulders, only to faulter and be villified by many of the Wire fans. It's getting to the point of soccer, were young players aren't given the time to adapt and develop!

I appreciate everything that is being said regarding the current teams contracts and I agree with Cov Warrior that ideally Pat would stay for life; but there is every chance that with the class he displays week in, week out that he will return to Oz (were I believe his extended family still live?) at some point?

One more thing - Rogue's I mean no disrespect - How do you know that payments weren't involved in him being dropped? I was told by a source (who I have no reason to doubt) that it was down to a clause in his contract that would have made it difficult for us to stay under the cap after signing Gleeson.

Best case scenario, if the near future is looking bleak get him loaned out to our supposed NRL link team (if they ever appear) then get him played in their reserves (I realise that with the Storm's problems they're unlikely to want to pursue a link with us). Otherwise get him sent to one of the other top 8 teams on loan like Stains did with Moore for a year or two!'"

It came straight from ILs mouth either at the shareholders meeting or a fans forum.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach162No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2012Apr 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
cartoons/WB161.gif

Quote: Rogues Gallery " It came straight from ILs mouth either at the shareholders meeting or a fans forum.'"

And whilst IL has been an excellent chairman thus far, I wouldn't believe everything that you're told.
Heaven knows, there are plenty of Liverpool FC fans who believed their owners when they stated that their new stadium would begin building six weeks after they bought the club, 3 years ago.

From what I have been told there were issues regarding salary cap. My source has been pretty accurate in the past.

RankPostsTeam
International Star13No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2010Jul 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Rogues Gallery "Ainscough also has Josh Charnley competing for that wing place. I suspect that Charnley is more of a Maguire type winger, bigger and faster.'"

Agree fully Rogues, Maguire hasnt stopped complementing Charnley and is highly spoken for everywere i go. I hope he gets a game this season, show them what he's got. Speed, agility, strength.. extreamly low body fat for those who enjoy that fact and much more.
Iv watched him throughout the past 2 seasons and he just gets better, great asset for the Wigan team.
Tell me if you disagree?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman5443
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
788_1290880131.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_788.gif

Quote: Coventry Warrior! " what do you think is likely to happen regarding Veivers? '"

He's not ready for SL yet, IMO.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1529No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2024Jan 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27588.gif
"Games as big as a grand finals define individuals and clubs. Remember we are only renting these shirts, I had my time in Pat Richards shirt. Ellery and Faz had there time in Sean's, Hampo and Radders in Sam's. You have to make a mark in these shirts that's still there the day you hand it over to someone else. So be aware for 80 minutes you are not only playing but also writing history and creating a legacy. How many people get to actually write history, not many. A big stage demands big players, be inspired. You play for Wigan, now go do it. Good luck." - Martin Offiah, 2010.:27588.gif

Played with Josh Charnley at pats 18s, brilliant lad and great player. Hope he gets his go. Don't think Neil Holland will make it, been around under 20s for ages n never got a first team debut. Nothing I've seen to make me think hes got the ability.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg

Quote: Riggs Warrior "And whilst IL has been an excellent chairman thus far, I wouldn't believe everything that you're told.
Heaven knows, there are plenty of Liverpool FC fans who believed their owners when they stated that their new stadium would begin building six weeks after they bought the club, 3 years ago.

From what I have been told there were issues regarding salary cap. My source has been pretty accurate in the past.'"

Well he or she is way out on this.

Think logically.
Why would Wigan not want a player to play if he would success?

Roberts and Richards were/are much better and more experienced players.

As I've said many times Ainscough is a decent winger but still has a lot to do to earn a first team spot. If you saw last nights game you would understand why.
He is falling behind in the pecking order. You must question why Maguire is not giving him the opportunity.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Rogues Gallery "The reason Ainscough was dropped had nothing to do with any extra payments due to him after he had played so many games.'"

That is true, IL came on here and said we had not done anything as daft as that after I said it was stupid to say the club would put itself in that position. There wasn't actually any reason to drop him.

Dave

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5799No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2015May 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23564_1342783768.png
[b][color=#0000BF]SUPPORT • SPONSOR • PLAY • JOIN A MIDLANDS RUGBY LEAGUE SUCCESS STORY //www.coventrybears.co.uk[/color][/b]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23564.png

icon_eek.gif Have Rogues and DaveO just agreed on something together?!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach162No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2012Apr 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
cartoons/WB161.gif

Quote: Rogues Gallery "As I've said many times Ainscough is a decent winger but still has a lot to do to earn a first team spot. If you saw last nights game you would understand why.
He is falling behind in the pecking order. You must question why Maguire is not giving him the opportunity.'"

I agree, he isn't the finished article but I feel that there is more to come from him and I hope he is given the chance. I don't think this is necessarily the end of his Wigan career (there are things going on behind the scenes) maybe he will be a victim of our abundance of riches but if he was I for one would be disappointed.

My original point was that even though we are enjoying a very successful season on the pitch so far, there are still too many fans who want to find something to moan about and targeting our younger players is a farce, why some can't focus on the positives and just get on with it is beyond me!

29 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
29 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.4365234375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
1m
Film game
Wanderer
5m