Jul 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Fish/PDT_Fish_34.gif
:Fish/PDT_Fish_34.gif

The jury was out about Lam being the coach at the start of the season whats your thoughts now?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15440
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: jaws1 "The jury was out about Lam being the coach at the start of the season whats your thoughts now?'"

Let's see how he gets on in the play offs. Making them should have been a given really IMO.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain965
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2021Sep 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I’d give him a 6/10 up until now. We started very poor and didn’t look like we had a chance of play offs nevermind 2nd, however winning 10 out of the last 11 has massively helped. We’ve played some good rugby in them games, but we’re still inconsistent week to week in performances and our attack looks worse than last year.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2795No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I backed Lam from the start and backed him even when we were at our lowest points. I said I’d seen enough quality in the rugby we were playing to believe he’d turn us around and he has. We attack to both flanks instead of just to the left and seeing Williams creating tries on the right is good to see. We also go from one side to the other in 3 passes and defences have been caught out when we do. We can’t ignore the start that we had but I accept the mitigation. A new coach with new ideas, only in for one season. A squad decimated by injuries to key players and more off field issues than most coaches have to cope with in their entire career!
Matty Peet coming back has helped defensively and the signings for next year have brought a great positive energy to the club.
I’m glad I backed Lam and kept the faith, as tough as I was at times!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1023
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Fish/PDT_Fish_34.gif
:Fish/PDT_Fish_34.gif

Quote: Bigredwarrior "I backed Lam from the start and backed him even when we were at our lowest points. I said I’d seen enough quality in the rugby we were playing to believe he’d turn us around and he has. We attack to both flanks instead of just to the left and seeing Williams creating tries on the right is good to see. We also go from one side to the other in 3 passes and defences have been caught out when we do. We can’t ignore the start that we had but I accept the mitigation. A new coach with new ideas, only in for one season. A squad decimated by injuries to key players and more off field issues than most coaches have to cope with in their entire career!
Matty Peet coming back has helped defensively and the signings for next year have brought a great positive energy to the club.
I’m glad I backed Lam and kept the faith, as tough as I was at times!'"

+1

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5844
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg
Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper. Big Steve wrote: The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them. aboveusonlypie... If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.:icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Bigredwarrior "I backed Lam from the start and backed him even when we were at our lowest points. I said I’d seen enough quality in the rugby we were playing to believe he’d turn us around and he has. We attack to both flanks instead of just to the left and seeing Williams creating tries on the right is good to see. We also go from one side to the other in 3 passes and defences have been caught out when we do. We can’t ignore the start that we had but I accept the mitigation. A new coach with new ideas, only in for one season. A squad decimated by injuries to key players and more off field issues than most coaches have to cope with in their entire career!
I’m glad I backed Lam and kept the faith, as tough as I was at times!'"

+ Another...

I think people forget just what a mess AL inherited. It was touted as a transitional season, key players left, injuries, and the Edwards debacle meant that no one really knew where they stood. This would have had a massive ripple effect through the club...

To mark AL down is, in my opinion, rather churlish. Bravo AL, all power to your elbow sir, take not notice of the usual whiners..

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Still not fully convinced.
I don't know why people are saying AL inherited a mess, he didn't, he inherited a championship winning side with 3 key players departing who were all replaced with quality. are the departures better than the arrivals debatable, without a doubt Bateman is a loss, but teams loss quality consistently at the end of each season; difference is Lam inherited a team capable of winning the GF.

I don't see how the Edwards situation was of any impact apart from paper talk and the embarrassment the club faced a coaching U turn. I could never cite that alone as a reason for such poor play.

Throughout this season we've been very inconsistent. We were sloppy and losing early on, now we're still sloppy yet finding enough to beat poorer teams. I still think we've only had 1 complete performance over 80 mins this season, even the win v Wire a few weeks back showed a second half were our team made less meters, conceded more pens, had less percentage of the play and were out-scored.

Take the weekend just gone... that wasn't a strong performance at all. Was penalty filled opening in a back and forth game without either team looking impressive. Some good some great individual moments (Marshall for example) but hardly a great team performance.

But... we are winning. We're second in the table. We're looking stronger in D and we still have key players missing. We're in a very good position to really make a good run at the GF, and hopefully really make a mark and defend our title with real fight.

6 out of 10 so far for the season over all.

I also will say this, for those out there who regularly watch the NRL will understand how poor the standards in SL have gotten. I don't think it's Saints who are a particularly outstanding RL team, I think the overall standard of RL is very low.
NRL looks way faster, the players look fitter, run harder, ball movement is slick and precise, over here there's a lot of players who simply aren't good enough.

RankPostsTeam
International Star811No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2022Aug 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I've really enjoyed the way he coaches the team at Wigan i don't know about anyone else but i never wanted Edwards and lam should have been given a longer contract than the 1 year he has been given

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29440
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

It’s extremely debatable to say our three key players were replaced with quality players. It’s fair enough comparing the talents of Tomkins and Hardaker but Sutton for Bullock has proved to be a step down (that’s not a criticism of Bullocks who’s raw and has loads of improvement in him) and we didn’t replace Bateman really, with Greenwood coming in for Joel Tomkins.

I still think Lam has got things to prove and he’ll have no excuses next season for not achieving success but you can’t do anything but admire this turnaround.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5844
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg
Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper. Big Steve wrote: The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them. aboveusonlypie... If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.:icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "

But... we are winning. We're second in the table. We're looking stronger in D and we still have key players missing. We're in a very good position to really make a good run at the GF, and hopefully really make a mark and defend our title with real fight.

.'"

Seems like he is fulfilling his remit then icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: NickyKiss "It’s extremely debatable to say our three key players were replaced with quality players. It’s fair enough comparing the talents of Tomkins and Hardaker but Sutton for Bullock has proved to be a step down (that’s not a criticism of Bullocks who’s raw and has loads of improvement in him) and we didn’t replace Bateman really, with Greenwood coming in for Joel Tomkins.

I still think Lam has got things to prove and he’ll have no excuses next season for not achieving success but you can’t do anything but admire this turnaround.'"

I mentioned Bateman...he's class, we didn't replace him with the same standard, don't think we ever could really. But at the time of the signings we brought in Hardaker, former MOS and quality for Sam, Greenwood, played for Saints and has NRL experience at a very young age, at the time of the signing it couldn't be disputed that Greenwood was a quality signing. Greenwood was always going to be Bateman's replacement. If you remember initially he was going to be coming in for this season to replace Bateman, not Joel. Joel originally wasn't set to go anywhere until his drunken rant at a barmaid in St Andish. This freed up space to allow Joe to arrive earlier.

Nevertheless clubs lose talent all the time, did Leeds really replace Sinfield and Peacock with equal talent? No. It can't always happen, it's part of team sport.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Wigan Peer "Seems like he is fulfilling his remit then
Nothing like a bit of 'paraphrasing' icon_wink.gif
But like I said, we are second and we are winning... facts are facts.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2913
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg
:icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "Still not fully convinced.
I don't know why people are saying AL inherited a mess, he didn't, he inherited a championship winning side with 3 key players departing who were all replaced with quality. are the departures better than the arrivals debatable, without a doubt Bateman is a loss, but teams loss quality consistently at the end of each season; difference is Lam inherited a team capable of winning the GF.

I don't see how the Edwards situation was of any impact apart from paper talk and the embarrassment the club faced a coaching U turn. I could never cite that alone as a reason for such poor play.

Throughout this season we've been very inconsistent. We were sloppy and losing early on, now we're still sloppy yet finding enough to beat poorer teams. I still think we've only had 1 complete performance over 80 mins this season, even the win v Wire a few weeks back showed a second half were our team made less meters, conceded more pens, had less percentage of the play and were out-scored.

Take the weekend just gone... that wasn't a strong performance at all. Was penaltzxy filled opening in a back and forth game without either team looking impressive. Some good some great individual moments (Marshall for example) but hardly a great team performance.

6 out of 10 so far for the season over all.

I also will say this, for those out there who regularly watch the NRL will understand how poor the standards in SL have gotten. I don't think it's Saints who are a particularly outstanding RL team, I think the overall standard of RL is very low.
NRL looks way faster, the players look fitter, run harder, ball movement is slick and precise, over here there's a lot of players who simply aren't good enough.'"

Agree with virtually all of that.

From the low of Barcelona we have improved and for that I'm very grateful but we are still way short of being a very good team.

The present squad struggles to make good yards on a consistent basis and when we eventually play Saints in the playoffs this will come home to bite.

Next season will be very interesting and if Lam can improve our 6th tackle options and our kicking game then we may see how good Lam actually is.

I for one didn't expect too much this season so making the playoffs is a genuine bonus for me after our awful start.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6121No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10174_1376908073.png
23 - 20 - 4 Warrington led 16-2 in Saturday's Grand Final, but their joy was short-lived as Wigan roared back to win the Super League title and extend the Wire's 58-year wait to be champions:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10174.png

I’ve been fairly pragmatic about the whole situation and was willing to cut them some slack, accepting that this was always going to be a transitional season. We’ve had plenty of success lately, so I think they have earned the right to swerve a little criticism. My concerns have always been more about the off-field issues than onfield.

Having said that, we have somehow managed to battle ourselves into a great position to defend our title and it doesn’t matter if some of the wins have been ugly. They have found a way and next season is looking up too.

Said it many times, if we get to that GF - assuming we play Saints there - they will absolutely sh.it themselves against us. Lam 7/10 if we finish 2nd in the table and mayor of Wigan if he wins the title icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5358
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_29557.png

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "I mentioned Bateman...he's class, we didn't replace him with the same standard, don't think we ever could really. But at the time of the signings we brought in Hardaker, former MOS and quality for Sam, Greenwood, played for Saints and has NRL experience at a very young age, at the time of the signing it couldn't be disputed that Greenwood was a quality signing. Greenwood was always going to be Bateman's replacement. If you remember initially he was going to be coming in for this season to replace Bateman, not Joel. Joel originally wasn't set to go anywhere until his drunken rant at a barmaid in St Andish. This freed up space to allow Joe to arrive earlier.

Nevertheless clubs lose talent all the time, did Leeds really replace Sinfield and Peacock with equal talent? No. It can't always happen, it's part of team sport.'"

Wouldn't you consider Leeds as a good example of what a detrimental effect losing players can have, rather than showing it should be business as usual? Had they remained successful I would agree with the point but surely this particular example doesn't support your point, unless I'm missing something of course?

51 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
51 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.3662109375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
2m
Lee Briers
Bobby Digita
3m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
5m
Toulouse A
Highlander
6m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Marcus's Bic
15m
IMG scores
homme vaste
21m
Shopping list for 2025
DSJ1983
31m
Squad 2024
Listenup94
34m
Halifax v Whitehaven
Brew
48m
New halfback signing
Bully_Boxer
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Sadly one less Bronco
Victor
50s
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
53s
2024 l Academy Scholarship & Reserves News
fanstanningl
57s
Murphy on his way then
financialtim
1m
Shopping list for 2025
DSJ1983
1m
Squad for Giants
ninearches
1m
IMG scores
homme vaste
1m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
1m
Lewis Murphy
Trojan Horse
1m
Best Wigan Tour Team
Cherry_Warri
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
3 clubs apply to join League 1
Huddersfield
TODAY
Sadly one less Bronco
Victor
TODAY
Fan Village
[Gareth]
TODAY
The Seagulls v The Panthers
terry silver
TODAY
Las Vegas 2025 English ladies involved
Huddersfield
TODAY
New halfback signing
Bully_Boxer
TODAY
Batley Bulldogs H
Start@1873
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
TODAY
Best Wigan Tour Team
Cherry_Warri
TODAY
Josh Bowden
Dr Dreadnoug
TODAY
Squad for Giants
ninearches
TODAY
Leigh h
Zig
TODAY
Meadows
Torbreck
TODAY
July games
financialtim
TODAY
Salford - Away
RockNRolla
TODAY
Dons v Toulouse - Saturday 10 August 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
Toulouse A
Highlander
TODAY
IMG scores
homme vaste
TODAY
Nathan Mason
MicktheGled
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Huddersfield Home
Mr Snoodle
TODAY
Half Time Report
Trojan Horse
TODAY
Dewsbury v Dons Sunday 7/7/24 3pm
Kick and cha
TODAY
Our next 2 meetings
H.G.S.A
TODAY
Lee Briers
Bobby Digita
TODAY
Wakefield Trinity Register Thirteenth Win Of The Season With Victory Over Barrow
RLFANS News
TODAY
Academy Origin
B0NES
TODAY
Catalan Away
B0NES
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..