JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES????? £20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000. The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover. There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT::d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76030.jpg

Quote: northernbloke "There seems to be an obsession that any new fans are going to come from the streets surrounding the ground.'"

16,000 people per Square Mile is the population density of Ealing.....a rough line drawn from Ruislip Rd East, down argyle road, along the A4020 and then back up Greenford road is probably a shade over that, but let's call it a an area populated by 16,000 people who could walk to the ground in 10 minutes.....situated in this area is Drayton Manor School (1,600 pupils), Brentside School (1,500) and just on the fringes we have Notting Hill & Ealing High School (900). There are also a number of community and special needs schools in this catchment area.

I would recommend to anyone trying to attract new consumers to their offering, that dropping leaflets to the 4,000/5,000 houses in this area, as well as incentivising the local schools (who will all be running fundraising activities) to help promote us would far more beneficial than a random leaflet drop in far away boroughs!

I would suggest that most fans of RL clubs other than ourselves are drawn from an area of no more than 3 miles away from their club.....Ealing isn't that dissimilar to Wakefield in terms of Population and I'd pretty much wager heavily on most fans of Wakey being a short distance from the ground.....maybe bigger Clubs like Leeds might stretch a bit further afield, but RL is a community sport and at present, our Community is Ealing Borough and specifically Hanwell, Greenford, Drayton Green and Perivale....that's where we should be concentrating, not Sheen d040.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Dog, the difference between wakey and Ealing is history, how long have wakey been running, a lot of the fans are second third generation.
Moving into an area such as Brentford twickenham Ealing with a minority sport and then suddenly expecting that community to adopt that sport just because they can walk to it is just daft.
Of the schools you mention do any play rugby league?
Look at our current fan base and geographic spread!
And our community is Greater London not just Ealing borough

RfE
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain988
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20187 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76569_1517914522.png
Rise like Lions after slumber In unvanquishable number-- Shake your chains to earth like dew Which in sleep had fallen on you-- Ye are many -- they are few.' Percy Bysshe Shelley - 'The Mask of Anarchy' ' ITS OVER' - Roy Orbison:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76569.png

Quote: Halfdan of t'wide embrace "Better shut the doors then. A few seasons ago, when Broncos averaged a few thousand, Dulwich averaged 170. On Saturday they attracted 1,266 to a game with nothing on it played, about ten miles from the their home ground as they have been evicted, at level 7 of football.

We haven't sunk to their level, we have sunk well beyond it which is why several Broncos season ticket holders were in Tooting watching that game. I was the only one of the Hamlet fans who watch Broncos in Ealing.'"

In a nutshell.

And we have nothing to learn from them??

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2259No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2021Jun 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

It would not be too difficult for The Broncos to find out what Dulwich Hamlet are doing right. Ask their chairman. He is a Broncos fan and at most games.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1025No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Apr 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Does he fancy taking us over??? (is he rich)??

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2259No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2021Jun 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

He is a regular guy, with a lot on his hands with Dulwich Hamlet.
You think we have a problem with our owner. Ask him about theirs.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1435No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Liam, DHFC Chairman, is a salaried employee of a well known company. There is no benefactor at Dulwich. I believe Liam offered to speak to the club about what Dulwich do to drive gates but got no reply.

Dulwich's Community Liaison Officer, a librarian by day, also watches Broncos occasionally and would be well worth the club talking to.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES????? £20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000. The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover. There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT::d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76030.jpg

Quote: Halfdan of t'wide embrace "Liam, DHFC Chairman, is a salaried employee of a well known company. There is no benefactor at Dulwich. [sizeI believe Liam offered to speak to the club about what Dulwich do to drive gates but got no reply.[/size

Dulwich's Community Liaison Officer, a librarian by day, also watches Broncos occasionally and would be well worth the club talking to.'"

[NORTHERNBLOKE MODE] the bloke that Hired Gus MacKay needs no advice! The Guy who appointed "The Towell" is infallible! The Guy who got us relegated is a genius......[/NBMODE]]

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain332No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Halfdan of t'wide embrace "Liam, DHFC Chairman, is a salaried employee of a well known company. There is no benefactor at Dulwich. I believe Liam offered to speak to the club about what Dulwich do to drive gates but got no reply.

Dulwich's Community Liaison Officer, a librarian by day, also watches Broncos occasionally and would be well worth the club talking to.'"

So let me get this straight, you want someone who is worth Hundreds of Millions of pounds earned by making key business decisions to start taking advice from the Chairman of an amateur football team that happens to have a large following of hipsters because they all like to stick together and be a bit different from other soccer fans? Apart from that what is it about Dulwich Hamlet you want Broncos to follow? How to lose your ground? How to fail to get promotion from a league you're by far the biggest spenders in for the previous few seasons?

Jesus, I thought people asking for Eddie Hearn to get involved was funny!!

And what exactly would a Librarian bring to the party?

I'm genuinely lost for words as to what goes through people's heads eusa_wall.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1435No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

What do I think it would be worth taking advice on? Easy community engagement and methods of growing the gate. In a handful or years Dulwich have grown their gate from an average of 170 to around 2000 on Saturdays before they were evicted. (Most of whom are not hipsters whatever the press like to say.) Is it a directly repeatable methodology, no actually
there are unique features at Dulwich that don't hold true for Broncos however much of the strategy is transferrable.

David Hughes was a very good oil trader. If I want advice on oil trading I'd approach him. If I want advice on crowd and community engagement and growing the gate I would speak to Liam and not David. Horses for courses and frankly, given the desperate gate on Saturday, what do the Broncos have to lose?

The fact Dulwich are homeless has nothing to do with this, that's due to a planning dispute totally unrelated to community relations. Dulwich are not the top spenders in the league and haven't been since promotion to that level. They have improved their league finishing position for something like eight consecutive seasons and this season finished 2nd. About right in terms of the budget. This is relevant to community relations/growing your fan base as by expanding the fan base they have expanded the budget permitting improved on field results. (Though being homeless realistically means big cuts next season.)

As to what can the Community Liaison Officer bring to the party, an immense amount actually. Gates have gone up from averaging 170 to 2,000 in a few seasons. Do you honestly think 1800 people happened to blunder through the turnstiles and decided they liked it. Of course not, Dulwich actively went out and recruited a new fan base. This was no fluke, a lot of hard work went into it. The lead person in that process was the Community Liaison Officer. He knows exactly which approaches worked and which failed. Why would you not want to tap into that knowledge?

Frankly the approach that a librarian can't possibly bring anything to the party sums up exactly why Broncos are in a mess. Learn from people who have been there and done it, especially when they were offering the knowledge for free. Feel free to list everyone in the UK who has a better track record at driving community relations and turning that into ground visits which in turn drove repeat visits and then people inviting their friends who invited their friends because the club had the offering on and off the pitch right and people enjoyed it in recent seasons. Then draw up a second list, removing all the paid professionals who are beyond our reach. The remaining list will be very short indeed. But hey, he's a librarian so what does he know.......

I can tell you now the first bit of advice would have been don't run random leaflet drops like Broncos did on Saturday. Target the approaches to the community as they way you can measure and contrast responses. Another bit of advice, further down the line NOT now as it has to be right on and off the pitch to hook people, if RFL rules permit run a pay what you want for admission day. One of the key days in DHFC's recent history was the first pay what you want day. Community relations anr awareness had grown thanks to our librarian. People were open to coming but not at a tenner to try it out. (A bigger issue for Broncos at 20.) The club had the offering right off the pitch, on the pitch you need a bit of luck. Many people attended their first Hamlet game, a fair chunk their first football game. Many enjoyed it and came back and, as mentioned, started inviting their friends. A personal invitation from someone you know and trust is worth a million free or cheap offer flyers. It's not rocket science, hard work, a little money and a bit of luck are required.

Edited to say I despair of any rugby league club who aren't tapping into York for advice at the moment. They are doing impressive things too. Again it's not 100% transferrable but much of it will be.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

https://londonbroncosrl.com/news/more-t ... y-broncos/
https://londonbroncosrl.com/news/bronco ... l-schools/
https://londonbroncosrl.com/news/commun ... christmas/

Club do nothing in the community obviously!
Only 3 things reported but there is stuff going on, lots of people seem to think the club don’t leave the gates at Trailfinders
https://londonbroncosrl.com/news/more-t ... y-broncos/
https://londonbroncosrl.com/news/bronco ... l-schools/
https://londonbroncosrl.com/news/commun ... christmas/

Club do nothing in the community obviously!
Only 3 things reported but there is stuff going on, lots of people seem to think the club don’t leave the gates at Trailfinders

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain332No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Halfdan of t'wide embrace "What do I think it would be worth taking advice on? Easy community engagement and methods of growing the gate. In a handful or years Dulwich have grown their gate from an average of 170 to around 2000 on Saturdays before they were evicted. (Most of whom are not hipsters whatever the press like to say.) Is it a directly repeatable methodology, no actually
there are unique features at Dulwich that don't hold true for Broncos however much of the strategy is transferrable.

David Hughes was a very good oil trader. If I want advice on oil trading I'd approach him. If I want advice on crowd and community engagement and growing the gate I would speak to Liam and not David. Horses for courses and frankly, given the desperate gate on Saturday, what do the Broncos have to lose?

The fact Dulwich are homeless has nothing to do with this, that's due to a planning dispute totally unrelated to community relations. Dulwich are not the top spenders in the league and haven't been since promotion to that level. They have improved their league finishing position for something like eight consecutive seasons and this season finished 2nd. About right in terms of the budget. This is relevant to community relations/growing your fan base as by expanding the fan base they have expanded the budget permitting improved on field results. (Though being homeless realistically means big cuts next season.)

As to what can the Community Liaison Officer bring to the party, an immense amount actually. Gates have gone up from averaging 170 to 2,000 in a few seasons. Do you honestly think 1800 people happened to blunder through the turnstiles and decided they liked it. Of course not, Dulwich actively went out and recruited a new fan base. This was no fluke, a lot of hard work went into it. The lead person in that process was the Community Liaison Officer. He knows exactly which approaches worked and which failed. Why would you not want to tap into that knowledge?

Frankly the approach that a librarian can't possibly bring anything to the party sums up exactly why Broncos are in a mess. Learn from people who have been there and done it, especially when they were offering the knowledge for free.

I can tell you now the first bit of advice would have been don't run random leaflet drops like Broncos did on Saturday. Target the approaches to the community as they way you can measure and contrast responses.'"

Yet the club still use a Pitchero website Liam? Surely a man of your capabilities would have addressed how rubbish that is when trying to attract sponsors?

This might hold you back in your crusade to get Broncos asking you for help!

You keep mentioning 170 to 2000 in a few seasons however what actually happened with the crowds was a jump from an average of nearly 700 in 2013 to 1300 in 2017/18 which is a nice increase but hardly the work of some kind of guru.

Which year was the 170 you mention and when did you start at Dulwich Liam because on your LinkedIN page you have it listed as starting in June 2013 as Commercial Manager so that means you started with nearly 700 as your average attendance. So in 5 years you have actually added only 600 to the average attendance.

As I said, there is nothing to be learnt from your exploits at Dulwich however much you try and bang your own drum on a forum under a pseudonym.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain332No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: northernbloke "https://londonbroncosrl.com/news/more-than-rugby-for-community-broncos/

Apparently though the club should be hiring Liam and the Liberian because they will revolutionize what is happening at the club.

The fact is there are tons of things being done to engage, they actually won an award at the Championships dinner two years ago for work done with local schools.

Saturday was a bad day for RL in London, Football hit the attendance of not only Broncos but also the marketing and social media hero's the Toronto Wankpack who were apparently telling anyone who would listen they would get 2000+ at the Halifax game.

London Broncos have a long way to go and a lot to learn still but the simple fact is this will take a few years of organic growth. No ticket promotion in the World is going to bring in 1000 people within a few weeks to watch RL in London.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1435No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

My name is Roger. Liam doesn't post on here. Wire Quinn and others can vouch for who I am.

A new club website, non Pitchero, is under development as the club recognised the issue. The social media team at the club is one person
A volunteer with a full time job. It won't appear over night. Sadly the person concerned also has health challenges which is delaying it. Frankly we don't care, his wellbeing is more important.

The 170 gate average was 2010 ftom memory. I'd doesn't happen overnight. It's basically a long hard road. On that point I agree with you.

The commercial manager is not the person charged with driving the gates at Dulwich. Liam has been at the club for about 30 years and has been present through the changes and has a good overview of what happened and why. The Community Liason Officer is more directly responsible for driving attendances so how long Liam has been commercial manager for is irrelevant.

I have not suggested hiring either Liam or Mishi ( the librarian.) They wouldn't be interested, events at Dulwich mean they are a bit busy. They were willing to share knowledge for free.

I am well aware Broncos do community work. I would question whether they are doing the right community work unless they don't view it as a way of either long term wider community engagement or driving gates in which case, fair enough.

What Wolfpack did is neither here or there. This thread has been detailed - partially by me so hands up - into a Broncos marketing thread. Failures by another club do not make things better for Broncos.

I totally agree about your point on the Dulwich method won't get 1k overnight. I have watched Dulwich since 1991 and am well aware of how long it took to build the gate. It wasn't a smooth upwards curve either. As stated the first pay what you want day was massive.

I won't post this thread again as it's beginning to bore me so I guess everyone else must be sick of it. I am willing to discuss this face to face at a game however.

I repeat my name is Roger and I am not Liam.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

And the 2000plus didn’t appear for Toronto either, and apparently we were partly to blame! Not really sure why Toronto played the game in london to be honest but that’s a whole different discussion.
The marketing issue will never be resolved for some folk. Like I say in the eyes of some whatever they do will be wrong.
The club tried a mail shot, which areas actually does not matter, did it get results, well folk saw people getting in using the flyer so must have done something.
Have said it loads of times, for me rugby league in the south is too niche to expect the community close to the club to be the new supporters, the clubs community has to be a lot wider, even if that means two bus rides to get to the games.

91 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
91 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.28369140625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
2m
Film game
karetaker
3m