FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Huddersfield Giants > Oh my beloved Fartown !!!
18 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Code13 , Durham Giant
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner131No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2019Apr 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds blancs/Al.gif
HUDDERSFIELD and PROUD St Joseph's ARLFC - WDWWW:fonds blancs/Al.gif

If you come down at 2.30pm on Saturday St. Joes will be playing Illingworth in their first home game of the new Pennine League season. Stands may have gone but it's still one of the best amateur pitches in the area....

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach660No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2016Jun 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47611_1281036142.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47611.jpg

Quote: fartown since 1961 "Well I went back and looked at the wood where our barrier used to be !!!

In my mind I could still see the stands and supporters club, smell the liniment at the back of the main stand.

The programme seller selling the old yellow style programme,

The old tea bar, windows at the back of the main stand the host of claret and gold scarves and hats very few replica shirts in those days and the dulcet tones of several fans with rattles.

Two blows from the microphone followed by Trevor Kay welcoming us to Fartown, the floodlights never with every lamp burning and my old chums several of them stood at our barrier awaiting a healthy debate about the days prospects.

More often than not it was cold especially at Xmas and New Years derbies with the men in blue and white from Halifax my friend Ilmar's Dad an early Latvian in Huddersfield with his 100% Vodka to warm us up.

Then at 2.55pm the Huddersfield team resplendent in the original claret and gold hoops and white shorts would almost apologetically emerge from the tunnel at the end of the stand to applause and the smell of more liniment.

Rain, snow, hail and shine we were there it was a different game in my early days, competitive scrums, no limit on tackles, later to change to four then the current six !!!

The place was starting to age even in those days but we witnessed semi finals of the Challenge Cup, Championship Finals and the touring Australians and New Zealanders and bright days and dark days but the loyal few hundred when the gates dwindled were always there even in the dark times of John Bailey.

Memories of 'Seth' (Ken Senior) popping up to score in the most unlikeliest of places for a former Great Britain wing, Don Close winning every scrum against Swinton and taking us to the Semi Final at Central Park in 1972, Malcolm Branch's hat trick against the finest of Salford teams a 0-0 draw and a 2-0 win against Trinity when the sprinter Berwyn Jones ran 90 yards but put a foot in touch to our great relief.

I could go on and on !!!!!!

However as I walked away I could still imagine it all behind me, the colour the spectacle, the winter game long since gone and the commentary of Eddie Waring a lovely Rugby man when we were on telly on a Saturday afternoon !!!

So thank you Stevo for re acquainting me with a time, a place and friends many of whom have passed away and maybe were in the claret and gold sky on LLS Sunday.

The guy from Wigan was right despite the ravages of time I'm glad the bulldozers did not move in and take it all away that field on which the 'Team of all talents played and so many of my heroes with far less skill but no less passion !!!

So if we win the Grand Final this year or in the future I can go back and share it with my friends in their claret and gold scarves, a rosette pinned to their chest and salute our team and the greatest of games !!!

With what you say of course Ilmar's Dads 100% Vodka because to them it will always be a game for winter for me I am glad this place of so many memories still exists !!!'"

I really enjoyed reading this.

You clearly have a knack for writing. As I read it I could picture everything you described.

I only managed a few years as a lad at Fartown but still love the place.

Nice one icon_thumb.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman31082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Fair teared me up has that

But the smell is the memories trigger isn't it, the smell of lineament takes me to my playing days, the smell of wet earth, the tramp of studs in the changing rooms

But the smell of a cold day and onions frying takes me back to being 6 with my dad, walking in past those main gates with the rugby players on top and past the supporters lounge and the burger van that I always pestered my dad for but rarely got, leaning on the fence round the side terrace and those beautiful claret and gold hoops with white shorts, such memories

But they are great memories, and lets be honest the John Smiths has given us a few of those now. Our first Superleague game with 14000 in to watch us against the Bulls, slowly ticking off the wins against the clubs I could only dream of us beating in my childhood

The pinnacle of all those dreams though is the Claret & Gold sky on LLS Sunday...just think there's some little kid somewhere that will be remembering that night in decades to come

RankPostsTeam
International Star610
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Yet their brave bid came to a stunning end when Cudjoe stepped out of the defensive line to intercept a pass and then run away for a 90-metre effort. (Times 2) Roses are red Violets are purple The Giants are sweeter than Maple Surple.:

Bloody Hell fellas, give it a rest.
I came on here to brighten my day, now I'm sat all welled up, can see nowt but all I can smell is that liniment and the fried onions.

And don't get me started on the C&G sky.

RankPostsTeam
International Star346No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2014Oct 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68413_1349255018.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68413.jpg

Quote: gerr'emonside "You say it'd be better to bulldoze everything....coming from a wigan fan i'd have to massively disagree! I wish I still had the option to go back to central park even to watch an amateur game once or twice, even if the stands and everything were gone it would still be a brilliant opportunity!

Saw this article though and then this thread and thought immediately.....could the club not do something similar to Souths in the NRL on a smaller scale and have a 'Return to Fartown' friendly at the start of the season? Ok so Redfern can still hold about 5k so its more practicable to Souths, but if Fartown is still hosting amateur RL it must still have a safety certificate for at least a couple of hundred?

Could it not be possible to do something on this basis.....yes demand will massively outstrip supply so i'd say you probably couldn't sell ticket,s but why not include it as a marketing tool to sell Season Tickets? ie/ 200 tickets for Return to Fartown are raffled off every year to all ST holders who get entered...that way, with say 4k ST holders, you'd all have roughly a 1/20 chance- do it every year and theoretically most will get to one over a period of time?

This would also probably up ST sales as people would buy for a chance to watch Huddersfield at fartown.'"

Wire still play some academy games at Wilderspool ...... nothing unusual to see some old timers (says me, a 50 yr old whipper snapper) in there with a little glint in their eye as they cast their glaze around the ground. You know their thoughts are full of times gone by .....

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14986
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I remember the tomato soup from the snack bar.....30p, polystyrene cup, hot as hell, burnt my mouth every week on it but it was gorgeous and just what was needed on those cold winter afternoons.

I do miss the smell of linament as we used to stand by the tunnel and watch the players come out before we ran round to the terrace to watch the game.....the smell was beautiful.

18 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
18 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.33203125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Shareholders Meeting
PopTart
11m
Playoff Semi Final
MattyB
13m