Mar 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72289_1398805144.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_72289.jpg

Quote: Highlander "Just to flesh out that statement as it's missing a lot of detail.

Brian Smith told Matt Ryan he was no longer required and Wakey paid his salary in full to the end of the season to get him off their books. This gave Wakey a quota spot to use as well. Also allowed Bradford to sign him on a low salary (because Bradford are close to the cap themselves) as he is (effectively) being paid twice for the next 3months....'"

Not what I heard but I'm prepared to be corrected if you have some way of corroborating your story!

RankPostsTeam
International Star21671
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62021_1514912988.png
[img:12j4q57k]https://i.imgur.com/ayH2ksC.jpg[/img:12j4q57k]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_62021.png

Quote: Nozzy "Exactly. It is ok Wakey saying we let 7 go and brought 9 in but you can't just stop paying people who you have on contract. You have to find somebody willing to take that player and pay their wages. If they paid Ryan off to get rid of him then that money would have gone on the cap. I doubt Sammut just left a full time position and went to play part time for Workington on a fraction of the money without being compensated by Wakey, more money on the cap. Players that are out for the season still need to be paid, that goes on the cap. Kevin Locke wont be getting paid as much as he was at Salford but his Salary Cap value will be the same (supposedly circa £250,000, or 1/4 of the Championship cap.) The fact he got injured doesn't mean he doesn't count on the cap. It looks very much like Simon Grix has been moved to get him off the cap at Warrington, so presumably he is now on the cap at Wakefield instead.

Again, no rules broken but people saying "Well any team could have done the same if they wanted to." are wrong. The Championship clubs, at least the full time ones, are really close to their cap limit. We couldn't afford to pay players off to leave or take pay cuts to move elsewhere as we have no cap space to do so and certainly no room to bring in any players to replace them if we did.

That extra £800,000 the SL teams have to spend gives them a huge advantage when it comes to strengthening at this point in the season and the fact that they can keep signing new players until days before the 8's just makes it even easier for them.'"

Great post. eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star200No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024May 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Nozzy "Exactly. It is ok Wakey saying we let 7 go and brought 9 in but you can't just stop paying people who you have on contract. You have to find somebody willing to take that player and pay their wages. If they paid Ryan off to get rid of him then that money would have gone on the cap. I doubt Sammut just left a full time position and went to play part time for Workington on a fraction of the money without being compensated by Wakey, more money on the cap. Players that are out for the season still need to be paid, that goes on the cap. Kevin Locke wont be getting paid as much as he was at Salford but his Salary Cap value will be the same (supposedly circa £250,000, or 1/4 of the Championship cap.) The fact he got injured doesn't mean he doesn't count on the cap. It looks very much like Simon Grix has been moved to get him off the cap at Warrington, so presumably he is now on the cap at Wakefield instead.

Again, no rules broken but people saying "Well any team could have done the same if they wanted to." are wrong. The Championship clubs, at least the full time ones, are really close to their cap limit. We couldn't afford to pay players off to leave or take pay cuts to move elsewhere as we have no cap space to do so and certainly no room to bring in any players to replace them if we did.

That extra £800,000 the SL teams have to spend gives them a huge advantage when it comes to strengthening at this point in the season and the fact that they can keep signing new players until days before the 8's just makes it even easier for them.'"

I get all you have said there, but there is nothing new. Superleague teams (including Wakefield) have a larger cap than Championship teams. That has always been the case. Your argument seems to be how and when Wakefield spend that money and the fact is that our current wage bill is probably lower now than it was earlier in the season.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11580
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: atomic "You have Locke who is quoted as £260k on your cap.Thats a quarter of our salary cap, on just one player.Sorry! you wont get empathy from me on your seasons downfall.'"

Were not looking for any, it would be helpful though, if you persist in sticking your nose into our clubs business that you got your facts right instead of making it up as you go along to suit your agenda, trying to explain owt to you is like trying to hammer a nail into a knot in a plank of wood.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member16601No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
cartoons/WB181.gif
:cartoons/WB181.gif

Quote: Smew "I get all you have said there, but there is nothing new. Superleague teams (including Wakefield) have a larger cap than Championship teams. That has always been the case. Your argument seems to be how and when Wakefield spend that money and the fact is that our current wage bill is probably lower now than it was earlier in the season.'"

If I paid all my staff three months money up front, next months wage bill will be low also

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman16250
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
953.jpg
2015 - major missed opportunity, 2016 - stronger teams = harder task (no problem there then), 2017 - OMG What now!!!:953.jpg

oooooh, controversial Mo icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4240No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2023Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
24148_1315916334.jpg
[quote="OFFTHECUFF":1xb0p6sn] Wish i could watch a team like Leigh. :CLAP: [/quote:1xb0p6sn] [quote="Steve":1xb0p6sn] Dislike Leigh with a passion, but they are a million miles ahead of any other club in this league, a sad fact. [/quote:1xb0p6sn]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_24148.jpg

Quote: Smew "I get all you have said there, but there is nothing new. Superleague teams (including Wakefield) have a larger cap than Championship teams. That has always been the case. Your argument seems to be how and when Wakefield spend that money and the fact is that our current wage bill is probably lower now than it was earlier in the season.'"

I would disagree with the "there is nothing new" statement. There is something new. Previously in order to gain promotion Championship sides only had to compete with other Championship sides and be the best of that competition. Now to gain promotion we have to face off in a league against Super League opposition with the SL salary cap, SL overseas quota etc etc. The increased salary cap for the Championship has helped and has let a few teams go Full Time. But I think this middle 8's is already showing that the gap is bigger than some expected. I will admit that the past 2 weeks have been a bit of a wake up call to me after we swept all before us for the past 2 years.

I think more needs to be done to rearrange funding in order to make this new format work properly. By that I mean more to close the gap between bottom of SL (£1.8m funding with 1.8m cap) and top of Championship (£750k-£500k with 1m cap) and also to close the gap between the top of the Champ (£750k) to bottom of the Champ (I think about £200k?) otherwise I think there will be little to no change to the status quo under the new format.

RankPostsTeam
International Star21671
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62021_1514912988.png
[img:12j4q57k]https://i.imgur.com/ayH2ksC.jpg[/img:12j4q57k]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_62021.png

Quote: Nozzy "I would disagree with the "there is nothing new" statement. There is something new. Previously in order to gain promotion Championship sides only had to compete with other Championship sides and be the best of that competition. Now to gain promotion we have to face off in a league against Super League opposition with the SL salary cap, SL overseas quota etc etc. The increased salary cap for the Championship has helped and has let a few teams go Full Time. But I think this middle 8's is already showing that the gap is bigger than some expected. I will admit that the past 2 weeks have been a bit of a wake up call to me after we swept all before us for the past 2 years.

I think more needs to be done to rearrange funding in order to make this new format work properly. By that I mean more to close the gap between bottom of SL (£1.8m funding with 1.8m cap) and top of Championship (£750k-£500k with 1m cap) and also to close the gap between the top of the Champ (£750k) to bottom of the Champ (I think about £200k?) otherwise I think there will be little to no change to the status quo under the new format.'"

Agreed once again. For me the salary cap for clubs outside of SL should be something like £1.3m or £1.4m to give the clubs, outside of SL a realistic chance of achieving SL. I also think that a deadline of 4 weeks should be implemented before the super 8s.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5054
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72289_1398805144.jpg

Quote: maurice "If I paid all my staff three months money up front, next months wage bill will be low also'"

Isn't this common practice in the Borough of Wigan

Kevin Locke's salary is minimal and the other wages sit on the Salford salary cap and are the subject of legal actions being pursued by both parties.

Wakefield fans aren't looking for anything here other than to defend the club against scurrilous insinuations by Eddie Hemmings and Paul Rowley.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5054
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72289_1398805144.jpg

Quote: Nozzy "Not sure that is correct.

"(ii) where a Super League Club is the loanee Club, the Player’s full Salary Cap Value at his original Club shall count towards the loanee Club’s Aggregate Liability.

For the avoidance of doubt any agreement reached between the Clubs from and to which a Player is loaned as to who pays the Player’s salary (or part thereof) has no relevance to the treatment of the Player in accordance with this Clause."

Doesn't matter if you are paying him less. He takes up just as much cap space at Wakey as he was at Salford, which according to Salford fans was a LOT.'"

He's not on loan!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4240No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2023Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
24148_1315916334.jpg
[quote="OFFTHECUFF":1xb0p6sn] Wish i could watch a team like Leigh. :CLAP: [/quote:1xb0p6sn] [quote="Steve":1xb0p6sn] Dislike Leigh with a passion, but they are a million miles ahead of any other club in this league, a sad fact. [/quote:1xb0p6sn]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_24148.jpg

Quote: The Avenger "He's not on loan!'"

I know, realised as soon as I posted it icon_surprised.gifops:

Deleted the post, not quite quick enough icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star2666No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2017Nov 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Salford Red Devils RLFC. [quote="Gotcha":y7izhg01]Salford won't win Super League in my lifetime. Even saying in jest they would sounds stupid.[/quote:y7izhg01]:

Quote: The Avenger "Isn't this common practice in the Borough of Wigan

Kevin Locke's salary is minimal and the other wages sit on the Salford salary cap and are the subject of legal actions being pursued by both parties.

Wakefield fans aren't looking for anything here other than to defend the club against scurrilous insinuations by Eddie Hemmings and Paul Rowley.'"

Not sure about that, without checking the RFL rules though I am pretty certain that Kevin Lockes salary sits on Wakefield's cap regardless of whether they pay him that or not.

RankPostsTeam
International Star286No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Well I think Leythers (including Paul Rowley) should stop moaning and get on with it.

We knew the rules before the season started. AFAIK no rules have been broken and Wakey have only done what anybody else in their position would have done. We ourselves have done it, even including paying a 50k transfer fee for a player which is virtually unheard of these days. Sure there is an imbalance in funding, but we have had the benefit of an imbalance all season long in the Championship.

It seems to me to a lot of Leythers these last 2 matches have been a rude awakening and now all sorts of excuses are coming out of the woodwork which there have been no mention of before. We even had Leythers embarrassing us on other forums blaming the referee for our result at Salford.

If we don't make SL it will be because we weren't good enough. Then we'll have to wait and see what happens next year.

(Blue touch paper lit, stands well back)

RankPostsTeam
International Star21671
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62021_1514912988.png

Quote: Pat Haddigan "Well I think Leythers (including Paul Rowley) should stop moaning and get on with it.

We knew the rules before the season started. AFAIK no rules have been broken and Wakey have only done what anybody else in their position would have done. We ourselves have done it, even including paying a 50k transfer fee for a player which is virtually unheard of these days. Sure there is an imbalance in funding, but we have had the benefit of an imbalance all season long in the Championship.

It seems to me to a lot of Leythers these last 2 matches have been a rude awakening and now all sorts of excuses are coming out of the woodwork which there have been no mention of before. We even had Leythers embarrassing us on other forums blaming the referee for our result at Salford.

If we don't make SL it will be because we weren't good enough. Then we'll have to wait and see what happens next year.

(Blue touch paper lit, stands well back)'"

That's fair enough.But unless the salary cap increases for clubs outside of SL, I'm afraid we might just be flogging a dead horse.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4636
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Jan 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Pat Haddigan "Well I think Leythers (including Paul Rowley) should stop moaning and get on with it.

(Blue touch paper lit, stands well back)'"

Well I agree with that. Whatever happens I'll still be watching the Leythers.

184 posts in 13 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Dick Jones , jonny the leyther , mish
184 posts in 13 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Dick Jones , jonny the leyther , mish

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.341796875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
Boss Hog
8m
Recruitment rumours and links
Winslade's O
19m