Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1034_1335734906.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1034.jpg

Quote: Budgiezilla "Wish I knew the answer, only Fev get gates of over 2K (except when they play us)
Must admit, didn't think we'd get oen of our lowest crowds of the season today, guess even some season ticket holders think twice about going at £16 for a ticket, and not many kids in Leigh are interested, it's cheap enough for them though.'"

For what it's worth I noticed that there seemed to be more kids in the West Stand than is usually the case.

Was surprised that the crowd was so low, but I'm too used to being able to see the North Stand so can't really guess as to whether it was busier than normal or not.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2383
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

I do remember our SL season Michael and that as you know, certainly was not our finest hour so to speak.

However that year especially the longer it went on was all about damage limitation.

You are surely not suggesting it has now come to this in the championship?

Look, All I am saying is that the chosen brand of Rugby League currently applied on the field is not going to add to building up our core support in the ground which we all will agree is absolutely essential.

If anyone thinks differently then fair enough. Opinions are like ass holes, we all have one don't we ? icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1468
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 1970Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

can i just say, the posts on this topic by harold rigby junior are that of a Fool, or maybe just a Tool.
"ooh, i remember the days, up until rowley was coach, we never did 4 or 5 one man drives, then a kick, not even in 1975"

[sizePRAT[/size

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5215No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44700_1440358680.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44700.jpg

Yes you are.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2383
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

Thank you for your most valued contribution to this thread terrykelly

4 or 5 drives and a kick on crowds of 1,300 in the 70's - Those were the days eh pal ?

Cheers again cocker...

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman33727No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1034_1335734906.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1034.jpg

I would dispute a certain amount of the five drives and a kick though - certainly no evidence for that in the tries that we scored along with more than a couple of line breaks. Whitehaven tried to drag us down the middle first half but I think they were more than matched a lot of the time. Let's not forget just how young the Leigh front rowers are.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman5010No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2022Dec 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1392.gif
Mines a pint... 'Hi-Ho Silver Lining' Headingley 05th October 2014.:1392.gif

Well for my take on off field events event's today being constructive with the criticism......

We need to improve the whole match day experience as its still on a par with a school sports day.
To improve and attract (we are up against every modern event your son or daughter talks about when saying 'I want to go here / I want to see this' so we need to get it right in the crammed leisure business market) maybe the trick is attention to detail but in fairness I'd expect the new BOM and the various new groups to be on the ball with things so a lot of the following may be 'in hand' so apologies in advance if its already being discussed.

- The stadium clock broke / non use of the big screen to sell our club have been reported on and kindly answered by Michael (or Fred - apologies to how I've sold short !) but maybe a time needs to be placed onto the LSV as to when this customer friendly / part of the game function will be repaired.
- The music play list will never please everyone (take a look at the age range in the stands) but certainly up lifting modern music that under 16's identify with might help and rousing music to run out to (but maybe be unique - Hi Ho fits our profile now so lets start to build on that as most Leigh fans associate that with a fantastic cup win).
- The dancers today tried hard and should be thanked but maybe get them a Uniform so they look part of the club and get them involved all the game, make sure the music they need is tested before its played (apologies if this happened but obviously it failed today) - maybe let them pick our match day music ?
- The Junior RL matches on the pitch need to be for EVERY home fixture as it does engage the fans (if the RFL don't have the Mini RL posts they used when flogging that particular brand of RL to youngsters when we had 6 or 7 teams playing at Hilton Park then lets invent our own, get a sponsor involved in building some mini posts and recreate that experience by calling it the (insert Sponsors name) LSV half time tournament- if it worked at Hilton Park then it will work at the LSV.
- My wife went to look for a stall to buy some Leigh merchandise today but couldn't find any, do we sell merchandise at the club on match day and if we do we perhaps need some signage stating where it is or put it in the programme so people know for next time (it used to be in a bar - not a good idea but better than nothing, could we set a stall under the North stand or West Stand ?).
- She did say whilst searching that in one of the bars a 'player' was doing a 'talk' so presume some kind of pre match activity was going on (like the Mick Martyn days ?), just need to let people know that's happening (maybe put it in the programme so people know or a small poster at the ticket office - in fact I'd put a few small billboards up like the ones coffee shops use outside there shops and place them on the pavement near the ticket office advertising Leigh functions and events , a captive audience bored queuing for tickets will read anything.
- Parky Pig : Our mascot, fantastic Public relations handing out sweets to children pre match and exceptionally popular, a recognised part of the club but we need to build this up and use to whip the 'older' members of our fan base up but also ensure he is still able to engage with the youngsters as we need the old Parky style antics which helped create a feel good factor about the place and was unique to Leigh.
- Again match day atmosphere is hard to achieve in a two sided ground with a thousand or so in it , did the Haven fans move in the second half to the West stand as for me they should have been given a area of the ground right from the start - sport is tribal and territorial - lets build on that and as I've said before it helps create a atmosphere.

I know some of you reading this will see all the above as 'moaning' but equally you may wonder why no-one is coming to watch Leigh anymore and for me we need to get the simple basic things you'd expect if shelling out £40.00 or more.
We could have the best team in Britain playing champagne RL at the moment but we won't get 2,000 on so we MUST improve the match day experience threefold as until RL becomes back in favour (as hopefully will happen very soon) we need to build up a reputation for as much that goes on off the field during Leigh Centurions match days as on it.
Just one final point (and I hope the new guys & girls don't feel insulted by this) but has anyone gone to Keighley and asked to meet the guy that created Cougarmania as for me it would be a good idea to speak to someone who created a crowd to watch a unfashionable RL club in a unfashionable competition that actually managed to buck the trend and appeal to a community with a big emphasis on young supporters and families and learn from him/her what they did good and what they did bad - might be the best £20.00 fuel expenses the club ever pays.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman13026
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/4864-863FALH-msnicons.jpg
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?:icons077e_files/4864-863FALH-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Harold Rigby Jnr "Thank you for your most valued contribution to this thread terrykelly

4 or 5 drives and a kick on crowds of 1,300 in the 70's - Those were the days eh pal ?

Cheers again cocker...'"

I seem to recollect some sub 1000 crowds in the 70`s.

Regards todays announcement of the attendance, did we have the Fev counters on an exchange visit?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman5010No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2022Dec 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1392.gif
Mines a pint... 'Hi-Ho Silver Lining' Headingley 05th October 2014.:1392.gif

For my take on On field matters........

1st half I thought Haven was the better team and looked more threatening with ball in hand.
Our poor handing didn't help and again we spurned chances to take the advantage of gift two points to put us in the lead but luckily today it didn't matter in the end.
We looked uninventive and flat in the first 40 although the first try frustratingly showed just what a capable side we are (no mention of missing half backs when that beauty was scored !).
The inside ball / 5 drives is hard on the eyes at times and I would prefer better RL like most but equally I don't think its a coaching thing as I'm certain PR would want to see more expansive RL - its as if the players lack confidence/ belief during certain parts of the game, one to work on but we are a woek in progress this season as surely everyone expected ?
I felt McNallys sin binning was fully deserved and Maden previous to that lacked a lot of composure in blowing good field position by reacting to cheap stuff (in reality the first sin binning would have been a Haven player from that but we let the ref focus on the wrong thing).
Having said all the above I actually thought it was a good game and Haven deserved the Half Time score of 12-12 as both teams had toiled hard in very warm conditions.

Second half I feared the sin binning would tell but a huge credit to Leigh who held out and probably won the game from that point, McNally came back on and had a really good second half showing, for me he was pushed by Finnigan today for the MOM but it was fully deserved (especially as Haven clearly gave him some 'special' attention !).
Pownall showed why he is a good winger with three well taken tries and as Haven tired (credit Leigh on the fitness front for that) we eventually started to find the gaps and in the end I thought the score line was a fair reflection.
Its good to note we have players to come back as it will only battle harden the squad for the games which are now coming thick and fast, yes we can improve but I'd take a 34-18 cup win over Whitehaven every single time if you offered it before hand.

Looking forward to the Semi v Batley, lets really give it to them as it might just be me but I'm certain they always seem to do well against us in one off matches that matter !

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Jenky , the person you mean is Peter Deakin, he started at the Cougars after working and studying in the USA, then the Bulls ,Saracens and Sale, unfortunatly he passed away in 2004

A lot of what he did was ' Cheesy ' and possibly not right for ' now ' , however there is a lot that can be done, providing the will to make it happen is there, and of course the money

As I said a week or so ago, " Somebody Said "

Now I know for a fact that at least 1 member of the new administration intends taking that to heart, hopefully all of them will embrace the thinking behind it, if they do then the club has a future

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 1970Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: reffy "Yes you are.'"

why, are you Harold's boyfriend ?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5215No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44700_1440358680.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44700.jpg

No, calling someone a fool and a tool just makes me think you are a prat.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6206
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2013Dec 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10303_1313522771.jpg
Bolton by birth, Irish by blood, LEYTHER by heart and soul!! [quote="BBC Sport":suio7kr3]30/04/06 "Some of W*gan's travelling fans headed towards the exit before it was even over.".................no change there then!![/quote:suio7kr3] [quote="Wembley71":suio7kr3].....They are our people. Drummond, Costello, Manfredi, Svabic, Martyn, Street, Tickle, Patel, Mossop, Horo, Bristow, Leuleui, Varley, Fleary, Rivett, Tabern, Doran, Woods, Donlan, Wilshire, Leaefa, Hansen, Sale, Murphy… these are all my people. As a Leyther, you’re one of us the moment you come here to wear the shirt. I don't care where you were born, what colour you are, what religion you are, what language you speak. You're one of us, part of our culture, writing our history as you create your own, and making us stronger for it....[/quote:suio7kr3]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10303.jpg

Quote: Leyther_Matt "......By sheer luck ended up sat next to [sizethe mythical figure that is Walt Mooney's Fan Club[/size as well!.....'"

I prefer 'enigmatic'!! icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Nice to meet you mate - your little lad is a credit to you, and his "Come on Leigh" is coming on a treat!!.....just needs to work on his "FOOOORWARD" and "GERRRUMONSIDE"!! icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9426
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
42169_1366443727.jpg
Chorlton RL wrote- "Jonny, for me you hold the mantle of most sensible poster on the VT" ............................................................................................................................................... Yed wrote: "He's like a Kevin Penny on steroids except he's good too" ............................................................................................................................................... "What? What have I said now?" - Starbug 2013 ...............................................................................................................................................:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_42169.jpg

Do people seriously just look for the most negative thing they can?
We had our best 2 halfbacks missing today to direct play, of course it's not going to expansive rugby.

We were clearly on top in the middle of he pitch, so what's wrong with taking the yardage*, tiring their pack and using our heads because once the game hit aout 50 minutes we had 'haven where we wanted them?

Job done, good coaching by Rowley playing without key players.

*did anyone not see our first try if they wanted expansive rugby?

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 1970Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: reffy "No, calling someone a fool and a tool just makes me think you are a prat.'"

Harold Rigby sorry for calling you a fool/tool, and also having a go at you Reffy.
Was annoyed/tipsy. icon_surprised.gifops:

78 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Dick Jones , jonny the leyther , mish
78 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Dick Jones , jonny the leyther , mish

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.52001953125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Whitehaven
Wollo-Wollo-
4m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
5m