JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2015Mar 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1030.gif
[quote="littlerich":1czuya0c]Widnes will be glad to get away from Leigh. They've been regularly pumped, roasted and left in the alley-way by the lobbygobblers. Talk about being bitched - what a torrid time they've had. They'll be looking for some A&E rest time for the next three years at least.[/quote:1czuya0c]:1030.gif

Quote: Leeeigh Leeeigh "
Can anyone answer the question about 19th August 2007, when just over a 1000 turned up when we was chasing promotion to SL? That must have been a big hole to fill financially for Arthur when he was subsidizing our ambitions.
.'"

I'll grant you that's a poor crowd but in the years between '99 and '06 when we were genuinely chasing promotion, I can give you several 4,000+ crowds vs Widnes, Oldham, Huddersfield & Salford (with more than a couple above 6,000). Our games at Widnes during this time were regularly getting over 6,000+ (and I remember one game with a crowd over 8,000). Widnes' crowds vs Castleford & Salford pre-licensing were in excess of 8,000.

In 2001, we played Workington on a Wednesday night and Rochdale at home on the Sunday, who were both mid-table at best, and got 3,000+ in both games.

I think if we played the same two teams at home over the next week, I think we'd struggle to hit 3,000 cumulatively. The days of a Championship league match attracting over 8,000 speccies are long gone, even over 6,000 is a pipe dream.

Highest crowd in the Championship this season is 2,806 between the top two teams in the league. We we're hitting that regularly back in 2001.

P&R might not be the answer to all our problems but it would certainly do us more good than licensing is. The crowd you mentioned before was probably a one off. It could become a regular occurance if things continue down this road.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7523No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I wasn't highlighting the Doncaster game to show as typical example. I was highlighting this game because it had nothing to do with franchising, but just like many other games have been poorly supported. Had this game been after 2008 it would have been used as conclusive proof that franchising was damaging our game. You have no proof P&R would enable the game to flourish. 2001 is 11 years ago, and 1992 is 20 years ago. The examples to use are 2004 and 2006 when P&R was in place, and they are poor examples so won't be used because they don't fit in with your argument.
Jenky, and yourself to a lesser extent are using bygone times as examples, when the reality was the trend was downwards 2004 onwards well before 2009. The landscape in 1992 for example was totally different to now where football with the help of TV and the glamour of the game has crushed RL's potential somewhat. Convincing the new generation to visit old RL grounds, or even new ones week in week out isn't easy especially when most of the ground is empty and that includes some SL grounds.
Thats why I say that bringing P&R back is not the answer. There are much bigger obsticles to overcome and real imagination needed to push the game forward - money makes the world go round and sadly in this financial climate we don't have anywhere near enough.
I can agree with a lot of people on here about the RFL messing up, but in principle licensing is a very good idea if done properly.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman3107No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2015Mar 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1030.gif
[quote="littlerich":1czuya0c]Widnes will be glad to get away from Leigh. They've been regularly pumped, roasted and left in the alley-way by the lobbygobblers. Talk about being bitched - what a torrid time they've had. They'll be looking for some A&E rest time for the next three years at least.[/quote:1czuya0c]:1030.gif

I don't have the figures to hand, but I'd wager that in '04 & '06 we were getting crowds above 2,000. We're not even managing that at the moment. Our crowds vs. Widnes post-licensing were way down on what they were.

The figures provided may be old but they show what can be achieved with P&R in place. At the moment the best two teams in the comp are holding a steady 2,000+ average (which is fantastic (and probably in-line with our averages during '99-'06)) but where is the bumper crowd coming from? Where is the big draw that will see 6,000 people pack into POR, LSV or The Shay to see two teams battling it out for a place in the GF? Afterall, isn't the whole point of this to get the punters in?

I predict this years GF Eliminator will be lucky to see 3,000 fans, which is a massive shame because this is a great competition. Unfortunately, since licensing the fans (especially the floating ones) have voted with their feet.

I don't disagree that the theory behind licensing was a good one. If done properly it could work. However, since the inception of licensing, nothing has been done properly. There's very little transparency in the process whatsoever, everthing has been cloak & dagger, smoke & mirrors. To make matters worse, we have 3 elite clubs with their SKY money having financial difficulties, London are dying on their & we have one of the worst sponsorship deals in living memory, and we're expected to believe everything is all rosy in RL? I have very little faith in the RFL and with the SL cartel looking after one another, I don't see things getting better in the near future.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7523No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

You simply don't know what gates would have been to compare to now, had the new system not come into place. But anyone can see the game has taken a big hit due to the global recession. Its not just effected gates, but also outside money coming in. And owners bank rolling clubs are now struggling to stay involved and as we found out have had to bow out suddenly.
We don't know what gate we will get for a final eliminator because we haven't been in one since 2004. As for crowds in 2004, they was bad. That was a great team we had, and we sweeped all before us, with lots of drama as a added ingredient.
I look at it this way. Under P&R Leigh will never win SL. Under licensing we can win SL. I never want to see Leigh in SL to make up the numbers, or gives us chance to Play against W1gan as an ambition. I want us to compete in SL, and build season on season to win SL within our own budget dictated by the towns enthusiasm to back the club through thick and thin.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator22898No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15778_1321882771.png
L.I.S.A Secretary [url=http://www.leigh-isa.org.uk:1gm9a4wz]LISA website[/url:1gm9a4wz]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15778.png

To be honest I look around me now in the North Stand and out of the 17 of us who used to stand together , theres only 4 of us now. Some dont come because their kids have grown up and lost interest, some because they have lost interest, some wont go night matches most have said its just not the same any more , we all used to meet up prematch for a drink and all go to the game together.
I remember us all going to the first game together v Salford and the stand was packed, slowly the RFL and us trying silly Friday night games are killing off our core support.

This time of the season too a few years ago we would have now been planning our Grand final day out, how many of us were going who was picking up the match tickets, who was picking up the coach tickets, we d all book on the same coach, we was all buzzing, now if we make it to the GF what does it actually mean anymore?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator22898No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15778_1321882771.png
L.I.S.A Secretary [url=http://www.leigh-isa.org.uk:1gm9a4wz]LISA website[/url:1gm9a4wz]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15778.png

To be honest I look around me now in the North Stand and out of the 17 of us who used to stand together , theres only 4 of us now. Some dont come because their kids have grown up and lost interest, some because they have lost interest, some wont go night matches most have said its just not the same any more , we all used to meet up prematch for a drink and all go to the game together.
I remember us all going to the first game together v Salford and the stand was packed, slowly the RFL and us trying silly Friday night games are killing off our core support.

This time of the season too a few years ago we would have now been planning our Grand final day out, how many of us were going who was picking up the match tickets, who was picking up the coach tickets, we d all book on the same coach, we was all buzzing, now if we make it to the GF what does it actually mean anymore?

RankPostsTeam
International Star35No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2013Jan 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Dick Jones "To be honest I look around me now in the North Stand and out of the 17 of us who used to stand together , theres only 4 of us now. Some dont come because their kids have grown up and lost interest, some because they have lost interest, some wont go night matches most have said its just not the same any more , we all used to meet up prematch for a drink and all go to the game together.

This time of the season too a few years ago we would have now been planning our Grand final day out, how many of us were going who was picking up the match tickets, who was picking up the coach tickets, we d all book on the same coach, we was all buzzing, now if we make it to the GF what does it actually mean anymore?'"

I know its sad to say but all the GF means now is a wad of cash if you can call it a wad and in some cases bragging rights but other than that nothing.I mean we lost the NRC a few week ago and it did'nt bother me as much as i thought it would ok we lost but other than losing a payday what did we actually lose a tin cup? Im a big believer of whoever wins the league is the best team in that league and ive always believed that but if you win the league it means nothing at the end of the day i like watching my team always have and if we win things its a bonus but IMO it should be mean more than a bonus but with the clowns at red hall thats all it is.I had far more excitement when we were in champ 1 trying to get promoted to the championship than im having now and we are winning things.The loss of P&R as killed our game and a lot of fans interest i will continue to watch my team as long as i can because its not my teams fault these things are in place and my team needs us supporters to continue watching them to win things or even more importantly survive.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7518No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7175.jpg
get leigh outta wigan:7175.jpg

Am I missing something? I remember us being bad enough to be relegated, but can’t remember which season recently we were actually good enough to be promoted.

It’s easy to blame low attendances on no P&R, franchising, RFL etc (none of which am I a fan of) but what have any of the clubs outside of SL actually done to attract people?

Both Starbug and myself have said before the teams compete on the pitch, off the pitch the clubs should be pro-actively working together for the greater good.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman16250
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
953.jpg
2015 - major missed opportunity, 2016 - stronger teams = harder task (no problem there then), 2017 - OMG What now!!!:953.jpg

Why do we need to be good enough to promoted when we can't be

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13012No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021Apr 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15768_1384187582.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15768.jpg

Derek are there no forcast sheets for this coming week?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11989
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: glow "Am I missing something? I remember us being bad enough to be relegated, but can’t remember which season recently we were actually good enough to be promoted. It’s easy to blame low attendances on no P&R, franchising, RFL etc (none of which am I a fan of) but what have any of the clubs outside of SL actually done to attract people?

Both Starbug and myself have said before the teams compete on the pitch, off the pitch the clubs should be pro-actively working together for the greater good.'"

Maybe he/she isn't a Leigh fan, glow?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8679
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
14002_1637716780.jpg
"I know you've had a bad day, but there's no need to take it out on me":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_14002.jpg

Bringing back Promotion & Relegation, hardly gonna make club's average attendances lower than what they are now right now, are they Leiiggh Leeiiggh ?
Impressive long posts by the way.....maybe it's not the answer, and my name is Boris and I live on the planet 'tharg', oh and have you got change for a 'plip plop' ???? icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif k020.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1353No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult”:

Quote: Dick Jones "To be honest I look around me now in the North Stand and out of the 17 of us who used to stand together , theres only 4 of us now. Some dont come because their kids have grown up and lost interest, some because they have lost interest, some wont go night matches most have said its just not the same any more , we all used to meet up prematch for a drink and all go to the game together.

This time of the season too a few years ago we would have now been planning our Grand final day out, how many of us were going who was picking up the match tickets, who was picking up the coach tickets, we d all book on the same coach, we was all buzzing, now if we make it to the GF what does it actually mean anymore?'"

Linda if your post does not set some sort of alarm bells ringing at rl hq I don't know what will.

As for leigh leigh his ideas are sadly what the clowns at rl hq follow and that unfortunaley is the path our game seems hell bent on

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner8633No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5374_1389225814.jpeg
[color=#FF4040:a05vbmvj][b:a05vbmvj]God is nothing more than an imaginary friend for grown ups.[/b:a05vbmvj][/color:a05vbmvj]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5374.jpeg

Quote: Budgiezilla "Bringing back Promotion & Relegation, hardly gonna make club's average attendances lower than what they are now right now, are they Leiiggh Leeiiggh ?
Impressive long posts by the way.....maybe it's not the answer, and my name is Boris and I live on the planet 'tharg', oh and have you got change for a 'plip plop' ????

As noted elsewhere, we had crowds that were smaller ones than the ones we had now when we did have P&R, Licencing is just a convenient peg to hang the blame on, but it goes a lot further than that.
The regularly posted comment that 'without P&R it's just a long series of friendlies' is without much substance either - what does the SL champion win, other than the SL title? Do they get a chance to go and play in Australia or something? Of course not.

The fact of the matter is that we're a semi-professional sport trying to draw professional sport level crowds. Take a step back, stop trying to compare us to SL sides, stop trying to compare us to top level football attendances, and take a look at other sports in a similar position. We draw similar (if not better) crowds to RU clubs at our level, lower division soccer's semi-pro teams don't do much better, and professional cricket often sees attendances lower than ours.
All these comparisons are pointless though - if we want to increase our attendance, then we need to change the attitudes of the fans we have.

No one likes to be criticised, but the general air on this forum is 'It's everyones fault but our own'.
No it bloody well isn't, it is ENTIRELY our own fault. We've always overspent, leaving ourselves in the poo, we've always overestimated our income - why haven't we learned to live within 1/2 of what we're claiming and bank any extra? - and we've always cried that the RFL hate us.
Here's the bad news. The RFL couldn't give a flying one about us, one way or the other. The lower divisions are there to bridge the gap between the amateur game and SL, a way of bringing players through and up to SL standard.
This is how it should be - does anyone on here actually believe that if we get a great player we should hang on to him and deny him his chance at SL? Of course no one does, but to hear the flat cap mumblings about being a 'feeder club' you would think so. So what if we are a feeder club of some sort? I don't see any formal arrangement, do you?
What if we use our great RL player base as a breeding ground for prospective SL players - what will those players have to do to get noticed in the first place? Play to lose or play to win? I know which I think it is, and in the process they'll help us achieve better league position than we would if an SL scout had snapped them up and taken them away from us before we'd even given them a run out.
Similarly with DC players. If they're not quite up to SL standard, great - we'll take them and keep them fit. The big mistake is relying on these players, no one should do that as the consequneces of relying on them is too obvious.
Sadly, we've not learned that last lesson yet.

The bottom line is that clubs have to look out for themselves. No relying on SL to bail them out, no bitching if it seems the RL has done so to other clubs - if our club overspends then I'd not expect anyone other than Leigh fans and our few friends to give a damn about it. Similarly, I'll not throw money into someone elses pot if they've over reached themselves.

It truly isn't rocket science.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7518No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7175.jpg
get leigh outta wigan:7175.jpg

Quote: DemonUK "Why do we need to be good enough to promoted when we can't be'"

We can be, we just weren't good enough on and off the field.

64 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Dick Jones , jonny the leyther , mish
64 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Dick Jones , jonny the leyther , mish

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.25439453125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Shareholders Meeting
Scarlet Pimp
Recent
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Blotto
FORUM