JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20169 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74893_1459005583.jpg
snaivooladniv eht fo thgim eht eraweb:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74893.jpg

Quote: Harry Stottle "I don't think his reputation is in tatters, the selection of his immediate managerial staff has been his downfall, that and not having the abillity to sense that those appointments were not in the best interests of the rugby club and not having either the sense or the dangly bits to make the nessacary adjustments.

As for prudence, are you an all eggs in one basket kind of guy Gubby, do you throw everything at any one thing in particular, or do you measure your assests with contingencies, like savings or insurance or pension for when the time comes that you need to call on them, those things may be boring but they are essential if you want to continue to enjoy life.

As Maple Leyther said, where was the financial guru to pull the reigns in, or was he just a cashier who held the purse and gave the contents over till the purse was empty?

So, what do you think our 'core supporter' numbers are?, I suspect we have both been regulars through the bad times of around just over the four figure mark, our season in SL said we averaged 6,500, from that figure I doubt the away following exceeded an average of 1,500 that would have given us over 5,000 of our own, last week yielded 3,100, will that be about our average after this season is completed? Whatever it is the trend is the Leigh public are deserting, that trend needs addressing, it is not the people on this site that need convincing to stay it is those who have doubts, the club needs to spend some money to target those people............................... hang on a mo, we've no money it all went in fell swoop, no contingencies!

PS, I don't know you Gubby, I have an idea who you may be from other posts you have made on this and another site, you have indicated that you were once in an officious position within the club, maybe at board level? If I have got that correct would you have taken the same path as we ventured on this season?'"

Impossible to know wether I or anyone else would have done things differently due to not knowing Derek's situation at that time and indeed now having the benifit of hindsight

My own preferences have always been to try to build the fan base , something I would be much more proactive in if it was my decision , and of course my money

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain262
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20169 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74753_1492447489.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74753.jpg

Essentially, DB didn't know how to adapt when Rowley unexpectedly 'abandoned' him. I think we all agree an experienced head was needed ala Tim Sheens. But instead, Jukes came in and subsequently Cunningham immersed himself in the coaching along with Jukes which evidently didn't help things -- probably wanted Jukes out and the coaches role for himself.

DB did a much better job than Cunningham as Head with regards to player recruitment. Post MPG, if management had renegotiated with and kept the majority of the 2017 squad... A promotion to SL was definitely on. Who initiated the clear out?

A few poor choices and the Cunningham Effect = Disaster! Look at Saints, new coach, 1 new player and the transformation is immense.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11989
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: GUBRATS "Impossible to know wether I or anyone else would have done things differently due to not knowing Derek's situation at that time and indeed now having the benifit of hindsight

My own preferences have always been to try to build the fan base , something I would be much more proactive in if it was my decision , and of course my money'"

And that's where Salford are going to struggle, whether they survive the '8's' or not. We have a head start on them, providing we can maintain a good level of support throughout this 'crisis'. The 'instant fix' of achieving SL status, gave us some good gates, but I'm not sure how we build up the support in the Championship or, dread the thought, in League 1.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2418No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20169 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74893_1459005583.jpg
snaivooladniv eht fo thgim eht eraweb:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74893.jpg

Quote: Alan "And that's where Salford are going to struggle, whether they survive the '8's' or not. We have a head start on them, providing we can maintain a good level of support throughout this 'crisis'. The 'instant fix' of achieving SL status, gave us some good gates, but I'm not sure how we build up the support in the Championship or, dread the thought, in League 1.'"

You work and invest in building your fan base no matter where you are on the league ladder ' you use your community dept/trust/foundation ' whatever it is called to get people ( young and old ) into the stadium on a match day by hook or crook , it isn't just the match or the quality of the opposition that can/will draw them back , it is the atmosphere and the ' feel good ' of being ( becoming ) part of something fun , a sense of belonging and ownership

I very much feel we missed out when initially moving into the LSV , Arthur while happy to invest quite heavily in players and coaching wasn't happy to put any money into marketing , instead just expecting people to come ' we really should have been all over the town inviting the whole town to come and witness just how good it could be

A big crowd generates its own atmosphere , and becomes self serving

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Back in the day when Widnes had returned to SL (2011/12?) and Mike Callaghan was our Commercial/General manager, I gave him a copy of an interview with Widnes's then Commercial manager. In that interview, he stated that the biggest mistake Widnes made on returning to SL, was to assume there was no need to get out and about in the town to make sure everyone know that they were in SL. He reckoned that the club just short-sightedly sat back and assumed the people would come to them.

It's always been a source of amazement that RL clubs - ours just as much as any other - are happy to splash the cash on players (and granted, they are obviously needed) but not on promoting the product they are trying to sell. Surely, every business promotes its product - why not RL clubs?

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2418No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20169 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74893_1459005583.jpg

Quote: Alan "Back in the day when Widnes had returned to SL (2011/12?) and Mike Callaghan was our Commercial/General manager, I gave him a copy of an interview with Widnes's then Commercial manager. In that interview, he stated that the biggest mistake Widnes made on returning to SL, was to assume there was no need to get out and about in the town to make sure everyone know that they were in SL. He reckoned that the club just short-sightedly sat back and assumed the people would come to them.

It's always been a source of amazement that RL clubs - ours just as much as any other - are happy to splash the cash on players (and granted, they are obviously needed) but not on promoting the product they are trying to sell. Surely, every business promotes its product - why not RL clubs?'"

Hypothetically if I was to be appointed CEO/general manager for next season , I'd first request my marketing budget ( 30K ) be placed in a separate ring fenced acc for me to access as and when I deemed fit for whatever purpose I deemed suitable , because otherwise any request for a marketing spend during the season just wouldn't happen ' then I'd be knocking on my mate Simon Toons door asking him which bits of the LSV site can I have use of for free or at cost to get the stadium full

I was going to approach Derek earlier this year , but after our terrible start I decided his attention would have been elsewhere

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain262
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20169 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74753_1492447489.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74753.jpg

Quote: Alan "Back in the day when Widnes had returned to SL (2011/12?) and Mike Callaghan was our Commercial/General manager, I gave him a copy of an interview with Widnes's then Commercial manager. In that interview, he stated that the biggest mistake Widnes made on returning to SL, was to assume there was no need to get out and about in the town to make sure everyone know that they were in SL. He reckoned that the club just short-sightedly sat back and assumed the people would come to them.

It's always been a source of amazement that RL clubs - ours just as much as any other - are happy to splash the cash on players (and granted, they are obviously needed) but not on promoting the product they are trying to sell. Surely, every business promotes its product - why not RL clubs?'"

The challenge is, where do you invest your cash to maximise ROI? The differential being, rugby league isn't a physical product (want or need), it isn't a service (solve a 'problem'), I guess it comes under the 'entertainment' category and it isn't (the first match is obviously) a one-off event such as a concert, festival, musical or other such experience. I'm sure most fans were hooked as kids as a result of what Gubrats describes, the senses being overloaded with euphoria and the 'addiction' being born. How do you sell that experience (with a rugby ball) to an adult who has the challenges of life to contend with? Do you let them in for free as a loss leader so to speak? The issue with that is, most regulars (who pay on the gate) would jump on it which negates the profit potential.

I'm sure most rugby league clubs would love to hear some new ideas on the subject. Any takers?

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2418No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20169 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74893_1459005583.jpg

Quote: Centurino "The challenge is, where do you invest your cash to maximise ROI? The differential being, rugby league isn't a physical product (want or need), it isn't a service (solve a 'problem'), I guess it comes under the 'entertainment' category and it isn't (the first match is obviously) a one-off event such as a concert, festival, musical or other such experience. I'm sure most fans were hooked as kids as a result of what Gubrats describes, the senses being overloaded with euphoria and the 'addiction' being born. How do you sell that experience (with a rugby ball) to an adult who has the challenges of life to contend with? Do you let them in for free as a loss leader so to speak? The issue with that is, most regulars (who pay on the gate) would jump on it which negates the profit potential.

I'm sure most rugby league clubs would love to hear some new ideas on the subject. Any takers?'"

Plenty of simple ways to negate existing fans ( loose term if they take that as helping THEIR club ) taking advantage of organised free or heavily discounted entry

It's families , or specifically the mothers and children that you target , mostly via schools and other activity clubs

But it does require some up front cash outside the playing staff budget which is where the problems usually start , which is more important , a potential match winning player on the books tommorrow ? , or a 50/100/150/200 gain on future attendances ?

RankPostsTeam
International Star6904
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73643_1666630451.jpeg
[img:v6cgff03]http://s26.postimg.org/9xie34xyh/leigh1.png[/img:v6cgff03]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73643.jpeg

Quote: GUBRATS "Plenty of simple ways to negate existing fans ( loose term if they take that as helping THEIR club ) taking advantage of organised free or heavily discounted entry

It's families , or specifically the mothers and children that you target , mostly via schools and other activity clubs

But it does require some up front cash outside the playing staff budget which is where the problems usually start , which is more important , a potential match winning player on the books tommorrow ? , or a 50/100/150/200 gain on future attendances ?'"

They have to strike now why the iron is hot. Sheffield at home again in the first fixture doesn't help.

Lots of thought gone into that.

Some very poor decisions being made. That fixture should have been changed.

Pathetic.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Presumably the fixtures are arrived at by some formula? Change it at the request of one club, and you may risk being asked to change it by others - e.g Toronto?

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2418No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20169 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74893_1459005583.jpg

Quote: atomic "They have to strike now why the iron is hot. Sheffield at home again in the first fixture doesn't help.

Lots of thought gone into that.

Some very poor decisions being made. That fixture should have been changed.

Pathetic.'"

Sorry atomic , I don't get your point , you highlighted the numbers I posted then commented on our next fixture

I'm not suggesting you just distribute tickets out at a random game , it requires a whole season strategy building up to 1 or 2 fixtures where your focus is to get upwards of a 1000+ ' new ' extra fans in using currently unused parts of the stadium

You monitor your successes and adjust accordingly season on season

RankPostsTeam
International Star6904
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73643_1666630451.jpeg
[img:v6cgff03]http://s26.postimg.org/9xie34xyh/leigh1.png[/img:v6cgff03]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73643.jpeg

Quote: Alan "Presumably the fixtures are arrived at by some formula? Change it at the request of one club, and you may risk being asked to change it by others - e.g Toronto?'"

What is the formula for the scheduling of fixtures? We know the format has a formula for home/away games, but who says in what order they are to be played?

Let’s see! Leigh played Sheffield last game regular season. Oh look first game in the lower 8’s, same again. Wonderful scheduling.

That’s the problem with this sport,no thinking process.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5216No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44700_1440358680.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44700.jpg

Quote: atomic "What is the formula for the scheduling of fixtures? We know the format has a formula for home/away games, but who says in what order they are to be played?

Let’s see! Leigh played Sheffield last game regular season. Oh look first game in the lower 8’s, same again. Wonderful scheduling.

That’s the problem with this sport,no thinking process.'"

After the atmosphere and feel good factor at the last game, I think Sheffield first up is ideal.

Surely the paranoia that the RFL has stitched us up isn’t bubbling around the Shield.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2383
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

My first ever Leigh Rugby match was free. I climbed over with a few other children, living in the barracks. I was immediately hooked on the game, the sport, the occasion, the atmosphere. I couldn't wait for the next match Leigh was my team from that moment, to now as I write this. It is also my family's team and will also be the team of the next generation of Rigby s. No doubt about that.

I have re paid that one free match back to the Club, over and over year on year and continue to do so.

I was in Morrison's a while ago and a team were giving out free samples of Coca Cola, encouraging shoppers to sample and buy. I looked up how much Coca-Cola were worth, and then it struck me why they were giving out free samples. To stay top of the tree and to grow the income even more.

Gubrats has hit the nail firmly on the head here.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: atomic "What is the formula for the scheduling of fixtures? We know the format has a formula for home/away games, but who says in what order they are to be played?

That’s the problem with this sport,no thinking process.'"

Don't know what the formula is, or whether there even is one. It was just a suggestion, that there may be one. We could have also played Swinton at home (which was our penultimate home game, the week before Sheffield) or Rochdale away. (which was our last away game)

Look at the Super 8's - Warrington's first game is against Catalans. The following week it is the Cup Final, which looks like being Warrington v Catalans. It's just the way things fall, and we have to get on with it, ideal or not.

Tell you what though - that Leigh v Sheffield game was highly entertaining. More of the same would be good.

37 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Dick Jones , jonny the leyther , mish
37 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Dick Jones , jonny the leyther , mish

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.13623046875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Rumours thread
Trojan Horse
6m
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
13m