JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Leeeigh Leeeigh "Do you genuinely think the RFL don't think the game is struggling behind closed doors?'"

What I wrote was "The same RFL people would also probably admit there are only a (small) handful of clubs, who are surviving, financially"

That means that I believe the RFL know the vast majority of clubs ARE struggling financially.

RankPostsTeam
International Star35No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2013Jan 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Alan "What I wrote was "The same RFL people would also probably admit there are only a (small) handful of clubs, who are surviving, financially"

That means that I believe the RFL know the vast majority of clubs ARE struggling financially.'"

They are all in debt alan just some have alot bigger debts than others.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11989
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Thundergaz "They are all in debt alan just some have alot bigger debts than others.'"

I'm not arguing with that mate. I'm just clarifying something that 'Leigh Leigh' seems to have misunderstood.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7523No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Alan "What I wrote was "The same RFL people would also probably admit there are only a (small) handful of clubs, who are surviving, financially"

That means that I believe the RFL know the vast majority of clubs ARE struggling financially.'"

OK misread that. Thought that didn't seem right icon_smile.gif
But I still don't see your point about in public the RFL "spin", but they do know the game is struggling. You always use "spin" with press releases when you are selling the game. That is something on here I never can understand from some posters.

RankPostsTeam
International Star35No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2013Jan 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Alan "I'm not arguing with that mate. I'm just clarifying something that 'Leigh Leigh' seems to have misunderstood.'"

Ok mate sorry but the RFL need all our clubs outside the holy grail league to say icon_wave.gif And form our own league with tv rights because im sure if it was run properly it would be more successful than SL as our league is by far more competitive and to the neutral looking in it would make more entertaining tv IMO.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8679
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
14002_1637716780.jpg
"I know you've had a bad day, but there's no need to take it out on me":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_14002.jpg

Remember when you would feel 'nervous' just before before a match...unless it's a challenge cup game, thanks to the RFL, that has now gone. Each fan feels differently I know, but it can be 'dressed up' all you like, but ticking a box guarantees beggar all. EVERY game is a friendly, my mindset is used to it now though, no nervousness/excitement/disappointment...do the RFL care, do they **** ?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7523No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Budgiezilla "Remember when you would feel 'nervous' just before before a match...unless it's a challenge cup game, thanks to the RFL, that has now gone. Each fan feels differently I know, but it can be 'dressed up' all you like, but ticking a box guarantees beggar all. EVERY game is a friendly, my mindset is used to it now though, no nervousness/excitement/disappointment...do the RFL care, do they **** ?'"

I remember all the outrage of fans with petitions, backed up by the media about the mergers in 1995. i myself was annoyed by it at the time. But all them people that won the day didn't turn up when their clubs needed them afterwards. Now that is the impression I get even if P&R came back. The same loyal fans would still be going and IF we got to the play off final for the holy grail they would come out of the woodwork. But who finances the clubs continuing cycle of chasing promotion when the fans only turn up for the big one, or maybe the odd derby?
The game needs a lot of better ideas than bring P&R back and dilute the money from SL clubs by sharing it with clubs that aren't in SL.

Can anyone answer the question about 19th August 2007, when just over a 1000 turned up when we was chasing promotion to SL? That must have been a big hole to fill financially for Arthur when he was subsidizing our ambitions.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8679
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
14002_1637716780.jpg
"I know you've had a bad day, but there's no need to take it out on me":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_14002.jpg

We're not daft, yes it would take time, but we have a small fan base. First game back in the top flight, v Huddersfield in SL 2005, just over 4000 speccys. But surely clubs attendances 'would' improve with promotion/relegation...it has to !
My 1st ever game v Hull in 1975, we won 6-0...attendance 450 !
I do not have my 'rose tinted specs' on, but I take your point.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman5010No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2022Dec 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1392.gif
Mines a pint... 'Hi-Ho Silver Lining' Headingley 05th October 2014.:1392.gif

Quote: Leeeigh Leeeigh "I remember all the outrage of fans with petitions, backed up by the media about the mergers in 1995. i myself was annoyed by it at the time. But all them people that won the day didn't turn up when their clubs needed them afterwards. Now that is the impression I get even if P&R came back. The same loyal fans would still be going and IF we got to the play off final for the holy grail they would come out of the woodwork. But who finances the clubs continuing cycle of chasing promotion when the fans only turn up for the big one, or maybe the odd derby?
The game needs a lot of better ideas than bring P&R back and dilute the money from SL clubs by sharing it with clubs that aren't in SL.

Can anyone answer the question about 19th August 2007, when just over a 1000 turned up when we was chasing promotion to SL? That must have been a big hole to fill financially for Arthur when he was subsidizing our ambitions.
.'"

I don't know the exact date but I do remember just before we went up and when in SL (and coming down again) how the club seemed to hit a rut on & off the park.
Even as good as it was going up THAT night v Whitehaven I get the feeling it wasn't as good as the feeling we would have had if we had gone up from THAT Semi final defeat v Widnes in the year we was just about stand out on & off the park with a young Turley mixing it with some outstanding old pro's (and yet in our Promotion year we won the lot !).
I'd say for 3 years after SL people fell out of favour with the club (for umpteen reasons), certainly as someone who had been to most games until this season the win over Hull KR in the NRC Final was great but was flat - fans familiar with success at a lower level perhaps gutted we had royally blown out chance in SL by being so inept on & off the park (although Wigan council certainly hindered the off the park stuff) didn't go and I felt it was like the diehards of the years when such teams as South Wales (in Cardiff) had beat us was the ones following the club again.

I actually think Millward returning was a big turn in events for Leigh and the feel good factor started to come back - as did the crowds but by now the game had lost a lot of support as Leigh (like many others in RL area) became 'TV Football' towns, football is the king in North West England and when Wigan are booted off the ground for Wigan Athletic you know RL isn't at the top of its game.
However as mentioned Millward got RL played like we hadn't seen since perhaps Terzis left and the club started to interact with its support base again - the NRC win v Halifax was absolutley fantastic - 100% better than the win v Hull KR (Although not as good as the first win we had v Keighley - thats when everyone started to believe Leigh had turned the corner and was on our way back).

Now though its is hard to get too worked up over a match, each Monday I go out for a pint with a Salford fan - we are both probably people who have spent far too much money watching RL at club and country across the world - we are now both probably more interetsted in what our football club does as we can see a clear pathway for success driven by what makes us go to the game in the first place - to enjoy watching what the players do on the field and the raw passion and emotion it generates.
He is frustrated with Salford for the fact he feels the players can be perhaps going through the motions (he is certain a lead at London recently would not have been thrown away if the players thought defeat put them in a relegation dogfight) his views are shared by people such as Sam Tomkins who also believes in SL many players at the bootom end clubs are 'on holiday' before the season ends.
Me , well I see Leigh as just in a pre season event except it lasts all year until the Play offs begin (this year the CC run was a breath of fresh air though), I like the matches when I'm there and still enjoy it but I'm now in the bracket of forcing myself to go and that bit of excitment that a result can 'really' meant something can be missing.
He thinks Salford would benefit from a spell in the Championship to 'get back to basics and be given a kick up the backside', I feel Leigh would benefit being in a league that could deliver a step up to the team that was the best each season.

In contrast we go to the football and lament about how 'I wish RL had this again' as we see the club slowly build its way through the footballing pyramid with just the usual ground improvements required to make the step up as a 'barrier' to promotion.
Of course there is investment - but I'd say all bar a handful of sports clubs in Europe are run out of passion by people who know the investment will never see a return.

Everyones opinions are different and many believe RL has more skilful players, more younger players who are good enough to be in SL and the gates are up.
I've nothing against that opinion as people are entitiled to it.
However I often ponder can the game afford to keep losing fans at the smaller clubs as eventually people will look around and wonder where did everyone go.

I remember saying when Celtic Crusaders went to SL in Bridgend via a franchise that I didn't see it as expanding in the true sense, we are just moving fans around.
For the extra 1,000 fans we gained in Bridgend we had lost a 1,000 in Whitehaven - the trick to expansion is maintaining what you have making it far better and moving into new areas with a product and enthusiasm that people will think ' I want to be part of that'.
I look at how excited I should be about the new clubs joining the RL 'family' next season (and I'm pleased to see them - all are most welcome additions) but I do feel it tinged with the reality that the RL family they join is one going through a bitter divorce and that many will view them as clubs that will recieve a unfair amount of help - probably totally untrue but a cloak and dagger governing body won't help the perception that the game is run as 'one rule for one, another rule for another'.
One hopes the new clubs don't suffer a 'Celtic' syndrome as undoubtedly the RFL's hamfisted approach to that club coupled with the biase shown from day one bought Celtic Crusaders more enemys than friends which was a great shame.

The irony, I don't know who we played on 19th August 2007 or the official gate, I do know though that if things pan out and Leigh ends up a feeder league that gate in 2007 will be looked back as a good one - and that is surely bad for Leigh and bad for RL.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman33727No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1034_1335734906.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1034.jpg

Awesome, awesome post Jenky, spot on with every word.

(I will also note that we most certainly weren't on the brink of promotion in 2007, and personally I thought that season was worse than even the 'relegation' season of 2009!)

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7523No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: JENKY "The irony, I don't know who we played on 19th August 2007 or the official gate, I do know though that if things pan out and Leigh ends up a feeder league that gate in 2007 will be looked back as a good one - and that is surely bad for Leigh and bad for RL.'"

We played Doncaster. The Whipping boys of that season. The reason it sticks in my mind is I bombed it to HP from the Manchester Derby, after giving the dark side another nose bleed. I was buzzing until I got into the ground (or morgue) where hardly anyone was even watching the game never mind the size of the crowd. It was depressing and boring. Mainly due to the result being a formality, even tho we was bad that season. There was no fire in the belly for this game, and fans where deflated that season - funnily enough it was chasing promotion, the incentive that is keeping 3000 fans away (they must have been stuck in traffic). When in reality its the 101 excuses, and the fact someone like Arthur puts money in to fill the money void, and we have fans on the wings waiting for the big game to turn up.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4636
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Jan 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Paul' you are always sensible with your posts and whilst I do not think Leigh could be competative in the top league at the moment it is not just about Leigh is it ?

For a competative sport which is'in the main regional' clubs have to have the opportunity to be in the top league.

Fev for eg have been undisputably the most competative Championship club for 3 seasons but where are they going ? Nowhere.

Why ? So we stick with licenscing and what happens ? You know and everyone knows the folk who watch get fed up. OK not all but enough for a club being ambitious to give up on that ambition because their fan base diminishes.

Without ambition or a reason to be ambitious clubs will not grow.

Licenscing could never work and needs to be scrapped.

Even in 2009 when we looked like going into the lowest tier our gates increased as we tried to avoid relegation.

You have to give every club a chance and under the current system the game is about 5 teams and every other clubs fans do not have anything to care about.

At least in footie lesser clubs fans still turn up to see the best teams in the hope they will still be playing against them the following season and that might explain why gates for those clubs in both promotion and relegation battles go up.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member6047No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2205.gif
------------------------------------- NOW PLAYING: SPECIAL D - Come With Me -------------------------------------:2205.gif

There are other reasons why fans can't be bothered anymore.
Firstly, the top 5 or 6 clubs take all the young talent at an early age. Then, they come back later for the ones they missed. This stops any smaller club building a decent team. It happens in footy but healthy transfer fees are involved which enables the smaller clubs to survive.
How must Salford fans feel when they get a new ground, appear to be getting a decent side together and then Pies and Wire come along and take there star players. They must get disillusioned.
Something is wrong when Wire, for example, have so many players that they have a top team plus nearly as many again on loan at SL and championship clubs and still have enough for the 21's, 18's (or whatever the run). Surely it would make many clubs stronger if the talent was distributed better. Don't tell me that these players would not develop if not with SL clubs - (Chris Hill is the perfect example) and we are not exactly producing players to compete with the Aussies are we. Something is wrong when SL clubs have to have players on loan midway through a season - surely their squad should be big enough.
Secondly, referees (incl. video refs) are so inconsistant that folk get fed of watching games were the momentum of the game and possibly the outcome is often decided by the ref as he choses when and what he wants to see (things he's let go many times in the same game).
How forward was the Wire pass last weekend against the Pies? If the officials can't see when a ball is passed 2 yards in front of a line and is caught 2 yards + behind it we have no chance. Our games is a joke.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman3107No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2015Mar 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1030.gif
[quote="littlerich":1czuya0c]Widnes will be glad to get away from Leigh. They've been regularly pumped, roasted and left in the alley-way by the lobbygobblers. Talk about being bitched - what a torrid time they've had. They'll be looking for some A&E rest time for the next three years at least.[/quote:1czuya0c]:1030.gif

Quote: JENKY "I don't know the exact date but I do remember just before we went up and when in SL (and coming down again) how the club seemed to hit a rut on & off the park.
Even as good as it was going up THAT night v Whitehaven I get the feeling it wasn't as good as the feeling we would have had if we had gone up from THAT Semi final defeat v Widnes in the year we was just about stand out on & off the park with a young Turley mixing it with some outstanding old pro's (and yet in our Promotion year we won the lot !).
I'd say for 3 years after SL people fell out of favour with the club (for umpteen reasons), certainly as someone who had been to most games until this season the win over Hull KR in the NRC Final was great but was flat - fans familiar with success at a lower level perhaps gutted we had royally blown out chance in SL by being so inept on & off the park (although Wigan council certainly hindered the off the park stuff) didn't go and I felt it was like the diehards of the years when such teams as South Wales (in Cardiff) had beat us was the ones following the club again.

I actually think Millward returning was a big turn in events for Leigh and the feel good factor started to come back - as did the crowds but by now the game had lost a lot of support as Leigh (like many others in RL area) became 'TV Football' towns, football is the king in North West England and when Wigan are booted off the ground for Wigan Athletic you know RL isn't at the top of its game.
However as mentioned Millward got RL played like we hadn't seen since perhaps Terzis left and the club started to interact with its support base again - the NRC win v Halifax was absolutley fantastic - 100% better than the win v Hull KR (Although not as good as the first win we had v Keighley - thats when everyone started to believe Leigh had turned the corner and was on our way back).

Now though its is hard to get too worked up over a match, each Monday I go out for a pint with a Salford fan - we are both probably people who have spent far too much money watching RL at club and country across the world - we are now both probably more interetsted in what our football club does as we can see a clear pathway for success driven by what makes us go to the game in the first place - to enjoy watching what the players do on the field and the raw passion and emotion it generates.
He is frustrated with Salford for the fact he feels the players can be perhaps going through the motions (he is certain a lead at London recently would not have been thrown away if the players thought defeat put them in a relegation dogfight) his views are shared by people such as Sam Tomkins who also believes in SL many players at the bootom end clubs are 'on holiday' before the season ends.
Me , well I see Leigh as just in a pre season event except it lasts all year until the Play offs begin (this year the CC run was a breath of fresh air though), I like the matches when I'm there and still enjoy it but I'm now in the bracket of forcing myself to go and that bit of excitment that a result can 'really' meant something can be missing.
He thinks Salford would benefit from a spell in the Championship to 'get back to basics and be given a kick up the backside', I feel Leigh would benefit being in a league that could deliver a step up to the team that was the best each season.

In contrast we go to the football and lament about how 'I wish RL had this again' as we see the club slowly build its way through the footballing pyramid with just the usual ground improvements required to make the step up as a 'barrier' to promotion.
Of course there is investment - but I'd say all bar a handful of sports clubs in Europe are run out of passion by people who know the investment will never see a return.

Everyones opinions are different and many believe RL has more skilful players, more younger players who are good enough to be in SL and the gates are up.
I've nothing against that opinion as people are entitiled to it.
However I often ponder can the game afford to keep losing fans at the smaller clubs as eventually people will look around and wonder where did everyone go.

I remember saying when Celtic Crusaders went to SL in Bridgend via a franchise that I didn't see it as expanding in the true sense, we are just moving fans around.
For the extra 1,000 fans we gained in Bridgend we had lost a 1,000 in Whitehaven - the trick to expansion is maintaining what you have making it far better and moving into new areas with a product and enthusiasm that people will think ' I want to be part of that'.
I look at how excited I should be about the new clubs joining the RL 'family' next season (and I'm pleased to see them - all are most welcome additions) but I do feel it tinged with the reality that the RL family they join is one going through a bitter divorce and that many will view them as clubs that will recieve a unfair amount of help - probably totally untrue but a cloak and dagger governing body won't help the perception that the game is run as 'one rule for one, another rule for another'.
One hopes the new clubs don't suffer a 'Celtic' syndrome as undoubtedly the RFL's hamfisted approach to that club coupled with the biase shown from day one bought Celtic Crusaders more enemys than friends which was a great shame.

The irony, I don't know who we played on 19th August 2007 or the official gate, I do know though that if things pan out and Leigh ends up a feeder league that gate in 2007 will be looked back as a good one - and that is surely bad for Leigh and bad for RL.'"

Great post.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7523No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Licensing isn't ideal, but at the moment there isn't enough money in the game to create 2 full time leagues. Diluting current money from SL clubs to other clubs will not help the game for obvious reasons - this would just accelerate the financial crisis of current SL clubs. Anyone with half a brain knows a 2 tiered comp would be beneficial, including the RFL and especially to Sky. The principle needs to be sold to Sky, and maybe it been tried or maybe the opportunity was missed when Sky televised the Championship and didn't see the potential we see.
As for fans getting fed up - of course they do. The reasons are many, with some using franchising as 1 of the excuses. For Leigh we haven't contested a GF since 2004. No doubt there will be possibly double our average going to GF if we get there this season. why do they not support the club now to get us there? Why would you want to see the ending of the season and not see how we got there? But this is what happens with or without P&R. The weekly rounds would see little change for the better, if any. I know because I have seen and experienced it. Its frustrating, and must have been even more so for the leigh board in 2004 with our most successful season in modern era and crowds where rubbish - but that was down to a few of the 101 excuses including a new one of Abram not waving and smiling enough.
Promotion is there at the moment, despite some predicting the drawbridge is being pulled up clubs have entered SL since the system was brought in. We can get in SL if we get off field sorted and prove we can run a full time club with a competitive team and add something to the SL competition.
P&R does not substantially increase attendances for the bread and butter games - they would probably increase for a do or die game, but how many times does that happen over the years never mind during a season? Fev I can sympathize with to a point, but they have a major hurdle of a small ground that serves its purpose at the moment but couldn't cope in SL, especially with so many derbies - in my opinion that is correct. Blackpool would not have been allowed in PL without major ground improvements.
Football there is no comparison because they have a lot of money and the advantage of a truly worldwide fan base. Its the biggest sport on the planet. Leigh RMI on a foggy cold night had 7000+ on against Fulham going back a few years, even though they hardly ever got over 1000 on normally and their fan base was very small.

64 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Dick Jones , jonny the leyther , mish
64 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Dick Jones , jonny the leyther , mish

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.216796875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Todays match v Saints
The Speculat
10m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
11m