FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Warrington Wolves > Gleeson signs contract extension.
109 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20337No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5733.jpeg

Quote: john_wilshires_physio "The rest of your post does just that.

A few quick bullets, as I can't be d.

1. He's never been quick. He may have been quicker at Hudds when we was 7 years younger and about 3 stone lighter agreed.

2. He's been far & away more productive for us than he was at Saints, at the best team in the league so how has his form dipped.

3. Coupled with the above, his winger has scored 20+ tries for the last 3 years.

4. The likes of Reardon & Penny have also profited from Glees' when playing outside of him.

5. His physical condition is fine, the only time he looked magnifique was when he'd been a silly boy and he pumped iron for 6 mths, what do you suggest, we ban him again, just so he'll look cut up in a French Connection UK top in flares.

6. He's not world class, but he's as good as Britain have got.

7. As mentioned a billion times, he'll profit far more than anybody else in a Warrington shirt from our recruitment this year, the added threat that we'll produce on the left will force defenders to leave others iscolated opposing Gleeson, 1 vs 1 there's not many better than he still.'"

Il respond to each point individually.

1. Gaining weight should not slow you down leam muscle mass if you condition youself correctly will lead to improvements in maximal strength which in turn can be converted to power, power is the ability to produce force quickly over a short period of time, which means increased power = increased speed.

2.The stats may say he has been more productive yes but that does mean he has been a better player? Of course not it simply means he has had more opportunity in the Wire team than he did at Saints, because they could break teams in other areas. It would be interesting to see a ratio of the times his ball is in his hands to assisst ratio, if that stat is available and shows he has a higher percentage conversionm in a Wire shirt i will agree with you. From what i have seen he converted more of his chances at Saints, anecdotal evidance but unill we get empiracle evidence on that its the best we have.

3.See point 2.

4.see point 2

5. His physical condition is not fine he is clearly carrying excess dead weight, if all he did was pump iron and not cnvert it to power through a periodized process in those 6 months your conditioning staff want shooting.

6.Agree although Senior does seem to have found a resurgance in form this last year.

7.If his try assists go down next year due to the added quality does it mean he will have played worse, or does it mean you have relied on him less, see point 2.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator39599
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jonh "Il respond to each point individually.

1. Gaining weight should not slow you down leam muscle mass if you condition youself correctly will lead to improvements in maximal strength which in turn can be converted to power, power is the ability to produce force quickly over a short period of time, which means increased power

he just can't win if he does one thing he's e and if he does another he's e.

Have a read of this, especially the bit in bold, then go round gleeson's house, tell him stats are meaningless and he should retire.

Quote: jonh "Excited Gleeson signs up for more
Exclusive By Mike Parsons
Comment | Read Comments (2)

Martin Gleeson agreed a two-year extension with Wolves
GREAT Britain Test series winner Martin Gleeson says he is more excited than ever before about his future with Warrington Wolves after signing a two-year extension to his contract this week.

The 27-year-old is delighted to be staying at The Halliwell Jones Stadium until the end of 2010 because he feels the club is 'going places' and he is sure he can continue to develop his talent with Wolves.

Gleeson, whose initial contract did not run out until the end of next year, wanted to reaffirm his commitment to the club and considers himself an improved player from the one that won Grand Final and Challenge Cup honours with St Helens before joining Warrington for a club record £270,000 fee three years ago.

He clicked into good form in an injury-hit Wolves side during 2007 and finished his year's work on a high note alongside clubmates Jon Clarke and Adrian Morley, helping Great Britain complete a 3-0 series whitewash over New Zealand with a 28-22 victory at the JJB Stadium in Wigan on Saturday.

Just five days after his 10-month season ended, the centre already has his eyes on a successful 2008 and beyond, sayingAfter a more difficult injury-hit 2006 campaign he stood tall again in Super League XII, pointing out that he finished joint top with St Helens' Leon Pryce for try assists and was in the league's top three for the number of clean breaks produced despite seven weeks on the sidelines with a serious knee problem.

"My stats are far better now than they were with St Helens"
Martin Gleeson

And his good work has been achieved despite being a marked man, although opposition defences will have the likes of King and new half back Michael Monaghan to worry about on the left side next year.

Gleeson explained

0cm
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach9280No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2008Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

\o [color=white:1z6qjnss]...[/color:1z6qjnss]|[color=white:1z6qjnss].[/color:1z6qjnss]\ [color=white:1z6qjnss].[/color:1z6qjnss]/[color=white:1z6qjnss].[/color:1z6qjnss]\:

Quote: the flying biscuit "Be interesting to hear your views on O'loughlin as being one of the best back rowers in the World...???
Nobody claims he is.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator39599
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: 0cm "Nobody claims he is.'"

Kevin Ashcroft does, had to stifle my giggles reading the metro this morning whilst the garry schofield of this side of the pennines proclaimed that sideshow lockers had surpassed farrell's level of greatness.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9022No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2010Nov 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26076_1286623377.jpg
[color=#000000:1qsyq8gi]Wigan Warriors 2010:[/color:1qsyq8gi] [color=red:1qsyq8gi]Super League Champions League Leaders Under 20's Champions Club of The Year Floodlit 9's Winners Pat Richards: Man Of Steel Sam Tomkins: Young Player of the Year Michael Maguire: Coach of the Year[/color:1qsyq8gi] [quote="Wire_91":1qsyq8gi]its your first final in about 8 years and now you ravin and rantin about it F**k off, and ill be going old trafford tomoz cheering on the saints and ill be writing on this forum givin you loads of shi* when your drying you eyes and the wire fan will be here handing out the tissues in the thousands, thats if you do take that many fans cause now it looks like its your fans who have jumped on the band wagon now your in a final, this time last year there was only 1000 people in the jjb and now its fillin up cause youve won the league hahaha proper true supporters you are[/quote:1qsyq8gi]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_26076.jpg

Quote: the flying biscuit "

Be interesting to hear your views on O'loughlin as being one of the best back rowers in the World...???
I dont think that at all. Whats this got to do with Lockers anyway?

FWIW Lockers performed well in the games against NZ - No-one can deny that, im just waiting for him to perform like that for wigan.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1502No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons39ad_files/4166-1503SNMT-msnicons.jpg
"If it requires effort"....... Then dont bother!!!!:icons39ad_files/4166-1503SNMT-msnicons.jpg

Quote: jonh "Il respond to each point individually.

1. Gaining weight should not slow you down leam muscle mass if you condition youself correctly will lead to improvements in maximal strength which in turn can be converted to power, power is the ability to produce force quickly over a short period of time, which means increased power

icon_rolleyes.gif In all honesty, i do tend to air on the side of caution when reading stats/information posted by an individual, who, in all honesty, looks to struggle with the spelling of their own personal name. icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20337No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5733.jpeg

All you lot seem to do is pick up on my spelling, i am sorry i am dyslexic i will try harder to correct this but it happens i am sorry, if you are unable to understand my post due to poor spelling i am sorry, but if you can at least attempt to give an opinion on the topic in hand.

Now regarding stats nobody anywhere is saying that they are not a valid tool of assessment and here is where you have to use a little brain power and the point you all seem to be missing they have to be used in context.

Comparing stats is not a valid tool between clubs due to many many influencing external factors, ie team orders style of play stengths and weakness of players in your own team game plan etc.....

I advocate stats wholeheartedly but if they are not used or analysed in the correct context they are meaningless.

The try assists comparrison stat is not a valid comparrison between clubs, if he drops to the National League makes 100 assists is he a better player? What i am saying is that if he has a storming season next year but due to the likes of King getting a fair bit of attacking ball as im sure he will, certainly more than Gleeson who is then unable to get his assist stats up is he a worse player?

If he had Calderwood outside him who would not have scored the tries that his outgoing wingpartner has hence would not have generated the same number of assits would this mean Gleeson was a poorer player? No.

I would suggest in this case the only real valid cross club is as stated about ratio of assits to ball carry or meters made per carry average etc.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11464No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15968.gif
:15968.gif

'periodized process'? icon_eek.gif Are you Paul Cullen in disguise?

Incidentally, if you are dyslexic is your name actually John? Just trying to be helpful as nobody may have told you that you are spelling your name incorrectly.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20337No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg

Quote: mark_m "'periodized process'?
no i am someone who knows about conditioning elite rugby league players, periodization is a basic concept of this. Ny username is correct, cheers if you could read it has already been mentioned in the post above.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16257
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10289_1326111229.png
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019 League Leaders 2011 2016:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10289.png

as usual some of our posters prefer to try and patronise and gang up on a supporter of another clubs team rather than listen to his views

jonh you make some interesting points about the conditioning, one thing I remember about Gleeson is an interview in RLWorld magazine just after he'd joined Warrington where he said that he'd put on a lot of muscle bulk in the off season (before 2004) because Apollo Perelini had come to Saints and had a superb conditioning routine. I thought his best form was in the seasons 2004-05 (last year at Saints, first year at Warrington), he was less good in 2006 but last season was ok.

Also regardless of what his physical appearance is, the real proof comes in the empirical evidence, eg his on field stats and his gym performance, whilst we don't have access to those, I remember talking to someone at the club a year or so back who told me that Gleeson was the best in the club in lots of the areas where their fitness is assessed.

In Monaghan and Chris Hicks Warrington have signed two players who were very fit in the NRL and time will tell whether they are in as good shape at Warrington next season, although I think a player who really knows what he is doing in terms of keeping his body in peak condition, will keep in that way whatever regime he is under.

SEB
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman13723
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2023Apr 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1215.jpg
[url=http://www.squadbuilder.co.uk/:1ask2coq]WARRINGTON WOLVES SUPPORTERS TRUST ARE [u:1ask2coq][b:1ask2coq]YOU [/b:1ask2coq][/u:1ask2coq]A MEMBER?[/url:1ask2coq] //www.squadbuilder.co.uk/ https://www.facebook.com/Squadbuilder https://twitter.com/WarrWolvesST:1215.jpg

Quote: sally cinnamon "a player who really knows what he is doing in terms of keeping his body in peak condition, will keep in that way whatever regime he is under.'"

See - Jon Clarke.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach4059
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Darlings of Super League:

Cattastic, you may have noticed that I took on your role on TotalRL by pointing out the fallacy of the "Gleeson iz well rubbish since he joined Dire" argument.

Good news for the club, I reckon. I'd like to see Gleeson go on to even bigger and better things in 2008.

Oh, and I was impressed by him in the Test Series, one dropped ball apart.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20337No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg

Quote: sally cinnamon "as usual some of our posters prefer to try and patronise and gang up on a supporter of another clubs team rather than listen to his views

jonh you make some interesting points about the conditioning, one thing I remember about Gleeson is an interview in RLWorld magazine just after he'd joined Warrington where he said that he'd put on a lot of muscle bulk in the off season (before 2004) because Apollo Perelini had come to Saints and had a superb conditioning routine. I thought his best form was in the seasons 2004-05 (last year at Saints, first year at Warrington), he was less good in 2006 but last season was ok.

Also regardless of what his physical appearance is, the real proof comes in the empirical evidence, eg his on field stats and his gym performance, whilst we don't have access to those, I remember talking to someone at the club a year or so back who told me that Gleeson was the best in the club in lots of the areas where their fitness is assessed.

In Monaghan and Chris Hicks Warrington have signed two players who were very fit in the NRL and time will tell whether they are in as good shape at Warrington next season, although I think a player who really knows what he is doing in terms of keeping his body in peak condition, will keep in that way whatever regime he is under.'"

Regards Apollo he has a reputation for getting players "big" in the same way as ex GB and Bradfrod conditioner currently at Penrith whose name escapes me.

As stated the key to conditioning is conditioning is converting the lean mass from weights to maximal strength then converting that to power. Im sure this would be the case under the controll of Apollo.

For a centre Gleeson is carrying in my opinion excess weight i remember on the tri nations DVD last year seeing him with his shirt off and looking a bit tubby. I appreciate rugby is not body building but non lean mass is detremental to performance fact.

Im not sure Warringtons last conditioner Paul Derbyshire i think was up to much and could be the reason you have not over achieved. Many people point to the head coach but the conditioning of a team is in many ways more important than the technical coaching. A conditioner spends much more time with the players. Last year Harrison lost his job at Salford after a fantastic season the only thing that changed was the conditioner in the backroom staff, since McRea arrived he has now left the club.

My point regarding Gleeson is this at 17/18 he was young hungry and ambitious, motivated to make a career. To make the best of your ability you do have to live the game, i just think once he "made it" he may have lost focus on training and this i feel has shown, although his skills have improved i dont think he has made as much as he could of his ability.

I hope the new conditioner can address this situation as i feel every year he has lost a little in this area, and if he does im sure he will produce his best form of his career for England and Warrington.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member19907No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1883.jpg
Didn't William Webb Ellis pick up the ball and run, someone should really tell Rugby Union. www.squadbuilder.co.uk:1883.jpg

Quote: jonh "Regards Apollo he has a reputation for getting players "big" in the same way as ex GB and Bradfrod conditioner currently at Penrith whose name escapes me. -

As stated the key to conditioning is conditioning is converting the lean mass from weights to maximal strength then converting that to power. Im sure this would be the case under the controll of Apollo.

For a centre Gleeson is carrying in my opinion excess weight i remember on the tri nations DVD last year seeing him with his shirt off and looking a bit tubby. I appreciate rugby is not body building but non lean mass is detremental to performance fact.

Im not sure Warringtons last conditioner Paul Derbyshire i think was up to much and could be the reason you have not over achieved. Many people point to the head coach but the conditioning of a team is in many ways more important than the technical coaching. A conditioner spends much more time with the players. Last year Harrison lost his job at Salford after a fantastic season the only thing that changed was the conditioner in the backroom staff, since McRea arrived he has now left the club.

My point regarding Gleeson is this at 17/18 he was young hungry and ambitious, motivated to make a career. To make the best of your ability you do have to live the game, i just think once he "made it" he may have lost focus on training and this i feel has shown, although his skills have improved i dont think he has made as much as he could of his ability.

I hope the new conditioner can address this situation as i feel every year he has lost a little in this area, and if he does im sure he will produce his best form of his career for England and Warrington.'"

Carl Jennings.

I think you are absolutely correct, a conditioner is as important a part of the coaching staff as any. It is one area that I feel we have been wanting for a while as the previous couple of guys were doubling up on their duties, something which was a little short-sighted in my opinion. We have a perfect oppportunity to make a meaningful apppointment this time round.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20337No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg

Quote: getdownmonkeyman "Carl Jennings.

I think you are absolutely correct, a conditioner is as important a part of the coaching staff as any. It is one area that I feel we have been wanting for a while as the previous couple of guys were doubling up on their duties, something which was a little short-sighted in my opinion. We have a perfect oppportunity to make a meaningful apppointment this time round.'"

Thats the fella i should really know that as he was the bloke that gave me my first really useful info on how to get into the conditioning game.....and as much as it may upset a few posters on here i came very close to applying for the job at Wire, obviously not saying i would have got it but i think id be in with an underdogs chance given my CV to date, but i feel i need a couple more years where i am at or perhaps in another sport ie union or cricket before being able to do the job of a head rugby league conditioner justice.

Foreshaw at Wigan is another example of an odd choice of conditioner as he has few formal qualifications, same said for Hampson at GB.

Wakefield have a conditioner with experience, a masters and a PhD and i think it showed last year.

109 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
109 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.123046875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Todays match v Saints
Captain Hook
Recent
Salford H
DSJ1983
Recent