JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2020Apr 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16412_1394912803.png
Newham Dockers, London Entry League Champions 2013 //www.newhamdockers.co.uk:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16412.png

In the seventeen and half years I have been a Salford fan, it’s not possible to say we have progressed as a Club. During that time we have not seriously competed for the Division One / Super League on a single occasion, in fact we have only made the Play-Offs once (and were soundly beaten in the first round). We haven’t appeared in a Challenge Cup Final, yet Sheffield, London, Catalans and Huddersfield all have, despite them being smaller or comparably sized clubs to our own.

We have been relegated twice, and become the proud holder of the most unwanted record in the League (largest defeat). Our Super League win percentage (up to and including 2010) is 30%. In the Super League era, we have seen our team concede over 50 points on 32 occasions.

We have struggled to bring through good young local talent. Players such as McAvoy, Southern, Adamson, Littler, Coley, Platt, Alker and Ratchford have all built careers, but we have missed out on three of the best Salfordian RL players in history during that time (Betts, Morley and Hansen).

Our attendances haven’t improved and we still rely on a small hardcore to follow the Club through thick and thin. In 2000 our average attendance was 4,452, last year it was 4,166. We haven’t mounted a single intelligent, sustained (longer half a season) marketing campaign to attract new fans in the entire time I have been watching.

There have been many, many examples of poor management and leadership at the Club. The current Alker saga is just the latest in a long line of dramas, cock-ups and broken promises. We couldn’t manage to organise a testimonial game for one of our most loyal recent players (Paul Highton). We’ve not been represented at important events (Super League season launches, local festivals). There was the balls up and subsequent change in the Season Ticket offer a few seasons ago. We’ve had employees threatening the fans (Lowes) and threatening to sue critics (McRae). There was Jacksonvillegate and the captaincy u-turn. Each year there seems to be some issue around merchandise (late, poor quality). We have had to be bailed out by the Council. These are only recent examples that spring to mind: if I was to go back over the whole seventeen years I suspect I’d be here a while.

There are some bright spots on the horizon for us, most notably the new stadium. But, this has only become a reality due to the continued hard work of our Chairman, the clout of Salford City Council and the business acumen of Peel Holdings. If it was left to the Club to sort out we wouldn’t be going anywhere.

Steve Simms gets the blame for much of what goes on in the playing side of our Club, but as an employee of Salford Rugby League Football Club he must surely report in to the Chief Executive? Which brings me to my point: one man has been tasked with the job of running this Club, of taking it forward. Whilst we are in a better position than some of our peers (Leigh, Swinton, Widnes) this should not be considered an achievement. We haven’t progressed in any tangible respect bar the Stadium during this entire time, and isn’t it time we did? We need new ideas, new leadership and a new focus. For too long we’ve stagnated, and as fans been humiliated and treated badly by the Club. It’s time for someone new to take over.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1246No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2013Jul 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47106_1370858322.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47106.gif

First class post 'Diavolo Rosso'

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman2524
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1217.jpg
Knowledge flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings:1217.jpg

Diavolo Rosso - you're absolutely right...

BUT I remember Mr Wilkinson being interviewed on GMR a coouple of years ago saying he would sell if someone came along with the club's best interests at heart and be prepared to take on the debts and the on going committment to pouring money into an open bucket - I suspect no such person has materiaised or is likely to in the near future.

So what to do?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9088
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2019Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2751.jpg
[img:384wf39t]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/kingoftheshed/salford2.jpg[/img:384wf39t] Les Diables Rouges Originaux - 1934 [color=red:384wf39t][i:384wf39t][b:384wf39t]Founding member of the "Neil Baker is/was/always will be God" Supporters Club (Est. 1985) & still The official No1 (Salford based) Kevin 'Buddha' McGuinness - Supporter![/b:384wf39t][/i:384wf39t][/color:384wf39t]:2751.jpg

Quote: BartonFlyer "Diavolo Rosso - you're absolutely right...

BUT I remember Mr Wilkinson being interviewed on GMR a coouple of years ago saying he would sell if someone came along with the club's best interests at heart and be prepared to take on the debts and the on going committment to pouring money into an open bucket - I suspect no such person has materiaised or is likely to in the near future.

So what to do?'"

I don't think DR is having a dig at JW or saying [ihe[/i has to go I believe it's our Chief Exec that he's suggesting may need moving on not JW.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman2524
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1217.jpg
Knowledge flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings:1217.jpg

Quote: king of the shed "I don't think DR is having a dig at JW or saying [ihe[/i has to go I believe it's our Chief Exec that he's suggesting may need moving on not JW.'"

I understand that, but the very fact that JW did say he would sell (and ultimately everything is for sale at a certain price!) together with the poor performance of the board as per DR's excellent post does rather point to a bit of a rudderless ship.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2595No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2014Apr 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19616_1264697305.jpg
www.exprest.co.uk 2010 Eric Shaw Prediction League Champion:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_19616.jpg

Bang on DR.
You appear to summed the whole thing up, but as you say, there are probably plenty more examples you could have mentioned.
Perhaps a more current puzzler to me is: Why on earth is there still no large and clearly visible sign adjacent to the Barton site, informing all who pass by (either daily or infrequently) just what is being built there. I'm sure many motorists drive past it each day thinking, "what is that going to be".
There's no time like the present, this should be sorted without delay, but it's Salford RLFC and it probably won't happen. Already another missed opportunity.

RankPostsTeam
International Star61No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2011Oct 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Jim Jalfrezi "Bang on DR.
You appear to summed the whole thing up, but as you say, there are probably plenty more examples you could have mentioned.
Perhaps a more current puzzler to me is

Think thats more down to Council/ Peel not wanting to suggest its SCRs ground to be fair. At the end of the day its there land n they control what goes up there. Bad publicity etc

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2595No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2014Apr 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19616_1264697305.jpg
www.exprest.co.uk 2010 Eric Shaw Prediction League Champion:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_19616.jpg

?? ok, perhaps you have a point, but isn't it going to have something there sooner or later with the club's name on ? Therefore, why not discuss the possibilities with the Council/Peel and come to some sort of compromise for the time being. Maybe they have and it's a non-starter (although I would find that puzzling). If I'm wrong here so be it, but just something that has been on my mind.

RankPostsTeam
International Star61No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2011Oct 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

JJ dont get me wrong id love a 200 foot tall red neon sign saying 'home of SCR' but ive long learnt theres more to this stuff than meets the eye. Gona take a massive leap of faith and say the club would have at least thought about it but have been knocked back for political reasons. Lets face it we all know the hassle its caused the council. All we can do from a fans point of view is keep telling friends, family, work colleagues etc etc that that ground being built will be our new home.
The CGI flythrough stuff being bounded around on the website has our logo on the stadium so im happy with that for the time being.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1647No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2014Feb 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
38205_1297001224.jpg
Big Pev is my Hero:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_38205.jpg

Quote: Jim Jalfrezi "Bang on DR.
Perhaps a more current puzzler to me is

Probably need planning permission pal

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1988No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2014Jul 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8271_1307019918.jpg
Per sempre Rosso e Bianco !!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_8271.jpg

Quote: Diavolo Rosso "In the seventeen and half years I have been a Salford fan, it’s not possible to say we have progressed as a Club. During that time we have not seriously competed for the Division One / Super League on a single occasion, in fact we have only made the Play-Offs once (and were soundly beaten in the first round). We haven’t appeared in a Challenge Cup Final, yet Sheffield, London, Catalans and Huddersfield all have, despite them being smaller or comparably sized clubs to our own.

We have been relegated twice, and become the proud holder of the most unwanted record in the League (largest defeat). Our Super League win percentage (up to and including 2010) is 30%. In the Super League era, we have seen our team concede over 50 points on 32 occasions.

We have struggled to bring through good young local talent. Players such as McAvoy, Southern, Adamson, Littler, Coley, Platt, Alker and Ratchford have all built careers, but we have missed out on three of the best Salfordian RL players in history during that time (Betts, Morley and Hansen).

Our attendances haven’t improved and we still rely on a small hardcore to follow the Club through thick and thin. In 2000 our average attendance was 4,452, last year it was 4,166. We haven’t mounted a single intelligent, sustained (longer half a season) marketing campaign to attract new fans in the entire time I have been watching.

There have been many, many examples of poor management and leadership at the Club. The current Alker saga is just the latest in a long line of dramas, cock-ups and broken promises. We couldn’t manage to organise a testimonial game for one of our most loyal recent players (Paul Highton). We’ve not been represented at important events (Super League season launches, local festivals). There was the balls up and subsequent change in the Season Ticket offer a few seasons ago. We’ve had employees threatening the fans (Lowes) and threatening to sue critics (McRae). There was Jacksonvillegate and the captaincy u-turn. Each year there seems to be some issue around merchandise (late, poor quality). We have had to be bailed out by the Council. These are only recent examples that spring to mind

eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif ...spot on mate icon_thumb.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star61No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2011Oct 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Rite so we now saying SCR's Chief Exec line manages the rugby side/ Steve Simms? Please forgive my ignorance and correct me but way i had it was they were seprate and Chief exec ran off field e.g. admin, marketing, retail and we had a Director of Rugby to deal with all things rugby related e.g travel, academy, players etc???. Both reported to board on own areas.
Does our Chief Exec line manage the rugby side? If this the case it might alter my opinion of the whole thing!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8119
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2020Apr 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16412_1394912803.png
Newham Dockers, London Entry League Champions 2013 //www.newhamdockers.co.uk:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16412.png

Quote: Wheatsheaf Arms "Both reported to board on own areas.
Does our Chief Exec line manage the rugby side? If this the case it might alter my opinion of the whole thing!'"

Nobody seems to know for sure. It's customary for employees of a company to report in to the CEO, but he may have a direct line in to the Board. Either way nobody has made it clear, which demonstrates a lack of clear communication to the fans.

Working on the assumption David Tarry [idoesn't[/i have any oversight on the football side, he clearly has very little involvement with Barton, and doesn't have the job of running the Variety Centre so what exactly [iis[/i he doing?

RankPostsTeam
International Star61No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2011Oct 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Diavolo Rosso "Nobody seems to know for sure. It's customary for employees of a company to report in to the CEO, but he may have a direct line in to the Board. Either way nobody has made it clear, which demonstrates a lack of clear communication to the fans.

Working on the assumption David Tarry [idoesn't[/i have any oversight on the football side, he clearly has very little involvement with Barton, and doesn't have the job of running the Variety Centre so what exactly [iis[/i he doing?'"

Fair enough. In the private sector that would be the case but not sure in the crazy world of sport where we live! Director of Rugby and whole manner of titles crop up across RL, RU, soccer, cricket etc.

From an outsider looking in Mr Wilkinson has praised Tarry a couple of times in events at the Willows and the papers. So i do tend to go with what he thinking. Not defending anyone and just trying to look at it from outside but maybe its a case of being seen and not heard. I know with my job i quietly go about doing what i do (very well i might add icon_lol.gif ) and dont kick up a fuss.

Variety Centre is ran by other aspects of the Wilkinson family iirc. Taking away rugby side that leaves commercial, community, marketing, media, lottery and the shop. Will our Chief Exec head up those?? We do do some good stuff with these - i get pulled for my lottery quid and recieve a load of stuff email wise about what we do.

Im first to bag the club and have a moan - but do think we get some stuff right and lets not forget that.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach270No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Apr 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/Tails.gif
:Others/Tails.gif

Good post Mike

50 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, king of the shed
50 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, king of the shed

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.26904296875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 26 Wigan Away
Once were Lo
Recent
Salford H Moved to Thursday
Zig
Recent