FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Salford Red Devils > Does our defensive line miss Alker?
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, king of the shed
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach41No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2011Jul 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Salford RLFC <3:

I know it has only been one game but do you think we miss Alker controlling the defensive line? For example telling them to move up in a line because last sunday they didn't do it atall! The Crusaders gained 5-10metres before even touching a Salford player.

Do we miss him giving the players a b*llocking and get it straight because i don't think Holdsworth will have a go at the players? and oviously McRae wont at half time, in attack were great just were missing that leadership in defence i think. I saw about the same 4 or 5 players doing tackle after tackle such as Wild, Godwin and Adamson.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach2481No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2015Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12431.jpg
[url=http://forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=438945:25xo96kp][img:25xo96kp]http://www.rlfans.com/images/sig.gif[/img:25xo96kp][/url:25xo96kp]:12431.jpg

Quote: ellis95 "I know it has only been one game but do you think we miss Alker controlling the defensive line? For example telling them to move up in a line because last sunday they didn't do it atall! The Crusaders gained 5-10metres before even touching a Salford player.

Do we miss him giving the players a b*llocking and get it straight because i don't think Holdsworth will have a go at the players? and oviously McRae wont at half time, in attack were great just were missing that leadership in defence i think. I saw about the same 4 or 5 players doing tackle after tackle such as Wild, Godwin and Adamson.'"

Perhaps the combination of the uber quick play-the-ball system we have this year in addition to the dominant Crusaders props running over the top of our props caused most of the disarray and backtracking defense we witnessed.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach529No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2016Sep 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
cartoons/WB18.gif
:cartoons/WB18.gif

I'm sure we miss his influence on the field. However, it's the sheer number of tackles he used to make in a game that we miss the most. In addition, our next best defensive player last season was Swain and we let him go too.

That leaves a big hole to fill in our defense, and form the evidence so far it doesn't look as though we've come to terms with this at all.

Our biggest problem however, as all regular speccies know, is that our forwards,(Props in particular) don't make enough go forward when they have the ball and are dominated physically when they don't have it. No matter how talented out back line is, we just can't operate under these circumstances.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach41No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2011Jul 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Salford RLFC <3:

Yeah some of our forwards do seem to be abit soft i think Sidlow should be doing alot better like you said our forwards do get bullied around the pitch. Do you think they'll finally realise how to use Paleaaesina properly? It was frustrating watching him just catch the ball and run does no-one tell him to get abit of a run up? Surely momentum will give us a few extra yards.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4314
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32990_1435324474.jpg
First accept sadness. Realise that without losing 70% of the time, winning wouldn't be such a relief.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32990.jpg

Quote: Rooted Red "I'm sure we miss his influence on the field. However, it's the sheer number of tackles he used to make in a game that we miss the most. In addition, our next best defensive player last season was [sizeSwain and we let him go too.[/size
[sizeThat leaves a big hole to fill in our defense, and form the evidence so far it doesn't look as though we've come to terms with this at all.[/sizeOur biggest problem however, as all regular speccies know, is that our forwards,(Props in particular) don't make enough go forward when they have the ball and are dominated physically when they don't have it. No matter how talented out back line is, we just can't operate under these circumstances.'"

The defensive problem we had on Sunday i believe was more to do with the amount of possesion we allowed the Crusaders to have. For example we made 105 tackles more than them. Wild made 43 tackles, Adamson 38, Godwin 36 and Sidlow 35. They basically started to wear us down after about 55 minutes and we didn't have the energy to close them down quick enough after that. Our forwards made a lot of tackles even by Alker and Swain's high workrate standards. For instance Alker averaged 40 tackles a game last year and Swain averaged 33.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6292No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7891.jpg
Salford RLFC Folly ARLFC Good john wilky last looked out on the pitch at salford. when the snow lay round about deep and crisp and even brightly played the lads that night though the frost was cruelllll when poor swinton scored a try we had 94urrrrrrrrrr:7891.jpg

Quote: ellis95 "I know it has only been one game but do you think we miss Alker controlling the defensive line? For example telling them to move up in a line because last sunday they didn't do it atall! The Crusaders gained 5-10metres before even touching a Salford player.

Do we miss him giving the players a b*llocking and get it straight because i don't think Holdsworth will have a go at the players? and oviously McRae wont at half time, in attack were great just were missing that leadership in defence i think. I saw about the same 4 or 5 players doing tackle after tackle such as Wild, Godwin and Adamson.'"

In a word no, for all the tackling Alker used to do it never stopped us getting thrashed and always being sh*t did it? The problem with us is that we never have the ball so we're always likely to have players that will make that number of tackles. If Alker played for any other super league team he wouldn't have made anywhere near as many tackles because he wouldn't have needed to. I feel sorry for Wild and Godwin because this year they're going to have to make just as many as Alker used to going off Sundays display.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9088
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2019Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2751.jpg
[img:384wf39t]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/kingoftheshed/salford2.jpg[/img:384wf39t] Les Diables Rouges Originaux - 1934 [color=red:384wf39t][i:384wf39t][b:384wf39t]Founding member of the "Neil Baker is/was/always will be God" Supporters Club (Est. 1985) & still The official No1 (Salford based) Kevin 'Buddha' McGuinness - Supporter![/b:384wf39t][/i:384wf39t][/color:384wf39t]:2751.jpg

Quote: ellis95 " Do we miss him giving the players a b*llocking and get it straight because i don't think Holdsworth will have a go at the players?'"

I take it you've not seen much of Holdsworth as our captain yet, believe me he's laid into certain players and has spoken to the referee (as is captains Prerogative) more in the past couple of weeks that Malc ever did!

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach10390No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11969.jpg
Me and are kid (TheButcher) putting the world two rights. ERIC SHAW PREDICTION LEAGUE & PLAY OFFS WINNER 2013 Don't like it? Well Frack off then. Energy & progress for all. Foe is our friend. mitie mouse, Lancetodd, Marshy1, eccles star, Dantes Inferno, Philyourboots, biggunbrad, DAVE@CAS1990, RED LEAGUE, OzWelsh, Red-Devils-PAW, newgroundb4wakey All blocked - Go ahead punk make my day.:11969.jpg

Quote: king of the shed "I take it you've not seen much of Holdsworth as our captain yet, believe me he's laid into certain players and has spoken to the referee (as is captains Prerogative) more in the past couple of weeks that Malc ever did!'"

I never thought Alker was particularly good at the on field duties as a captain. For leading by example he was sublime but other than that I never actually thought he was captain material.

What I do think we need is an onfield pack leader, Cashmere would be the choice if it were based on talent but not sure he's vocal enough. Could be time for Adamson to step up to the plate and make a name for himself in that respect.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach41No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2011Jul 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Salford RLFC <3:

Quote: king of the shed "I take it you've not seen much of Holdsworth as our captain yet, believe me he's laid into certain players and has spoken to the referee (as is captains Prerogative) more in the past couple of weeks that Malc ever did!'"

Ahh, nope just the one game saw him have a go at a few players to be fair.

<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.1904296875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Shareholders Meeting
PopTart
10m
Playoff Semi Final
MattyB
12m