JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32990_1435324474.jpg
First accept sadness. Realise that without losing 70% of the time, winning wouldn't be such a relief.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32990.jpg

Quote: Red Preacher "mmp- Good points. In this, it could be argued that the death of grounds like Station Rd may well have been the incentive clubs like Swinton needed to progress. However, as I've said, investment in your own infrastructure, when financially able to, is surely the way to avoid future problems. (Headingley stadium is perhaps the best example of this)'"

Leeds have been very shrewd in making ground improvements on a regular basis over the years. I wonder though if being part of the whole Headingley setup (that includs the cricket ground) has helped to make this more financially viable?

Headingley has also been used many times over several years for Internationals, Yorkshire Cups and Challenge Cup Semi's. Perhaps the Leeds club have a policy of reinvesting ground rental revenues for stadium improvements?

I also believe that the latest stand they built behind the posts cost the Rhino's very little due to the college using classrooms built into the back of the stand.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach769No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2017Jun 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29368.jpg
:29368.jpg

Quote: theredshed "I think the ground sales of places like Station Road and the Watersheddings was a combination of debt, land values and increasing maintenance costs.'"

Yes they were two of the clubs, silmilar to ourselves, who were hit financially during seasons spent in division 2. Around that time you played 14 or so home games if memory serves me right against the likes of Nottingham, Trafford, Fulham and Chorley. Swinton for example had a very active commercial scene but I imagine suffered big losses in the 2nd division as their operations was geared for top level rugby. Lots of clubs only had one asset, we were fortunate we never got shafted by our owners.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach2481No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2015Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12431.jpg
[url=http://forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=438945:25xo96kp][img:25xo96kp]http://www.rlfans.com/images/sig.gif[/img:25xo96kp][/url:25xo96kp]:12431.jpg

Quote: theredshed "Leeds have been very shrewd in making ground improvements on a regular basis over the years. I wonder though if being part of the whole Headingley setup (that includs the cricket ground) has helped to make this more financially viable?

Headingley has also been used many times over several years for Internationals, Yorkshire Cups and Challenge Cup Semi's. Perhaps the Leeds club have a policy of reinvesting ground rental revenues for stadium improvements?

I also believe that the latest stand they built behind the posts cost the Rhino's very little due to the college using classrooms built into the back of the stand.'"

Leeds' relationship with Yorkshire CC as part of the Headingley setup is almost certainly a financially sound arrangement.

As business models go, Leeds have led the way for a long time. Linking up with Leeds Met' is yet another example of such.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach203No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2012Dec 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I wrote an essay along similar lines about changing to summer rugby and the impact of Sky Sports on the game when I was at University. Get hold of a book called To Jerusalem And Back by Simon Kelner, it will be very useful for your purposes. I wrote to every club in the league back in 1997/8 when I did it and the only replies I got were from Castleford and St. Helens. Richard Wright at Castleford wrote me a letter 3 pages long. If you want to get in touch with anyone, both clubs were very helpful to me then, so I'll suggest them as a place to start. Good luck with your work.

mmp
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner4069No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4922_1302712061.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4922.jpg

Quote: Red Preacher "mmp- Good points. In this, it could be argued that the death of grounds like Station Rd may well have been the incentive clubs like Swinton needed to progress. However, as I've said, investment in your own infrastructure, when financially able to, is surely the way to avoid future problems. (Headingley stadium is perhaps the best example of this)'"

when i drafted that message I actually put a bit more then took it out...the point i was going to put was that we should be thankful that money was invested in building the North Stand at the Willows when it was...the Willows needed lots of money spent on just maintaining it over the last 15 years (which was an ongoing buden on the club!) but maybe not the huge costs that would have been needed to maintain/upgrade many other grounds (some of which - Station Road as an example - were much bigger grounds and hence costs would be greater still!).

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2014May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Red Preacher "Leeds' relationship with Yorkshire CC as part of the Headingley setup is almost certainly a financially sound arrangement.

As business models go, Leeds have led the way for a long time. Linking up with Leeds Met' is yet another example of such.'"

rlLeeds Met is close to bankruptcyrl

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4314
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32990_1435324474.jpg
First accept sadness. Realise that without losing 70% of the time, winning wouldn't be such a relief.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32990.jpg

Quote: Stew2 "rlLeeds Met is close to bankruptcyrl'"

Hardly surprising considering they helped finance a multi-million pound grandstand in return for a few classrooms. A couple of rented portacabins would have been a much cheaper alternative. icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach2481No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2015Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12431.jpg
[url=http://forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=438945:25xo96kp][img:25xo96kp]http://www.rlfans.com/images/sig.gif[/img:25xo96kp][/url:25xo96kp]:12431.jpg

Quote: mmp "
Quote: mmp "mmp- Good points. In this, it could be argued that the death of grounds like Station Rd may well have been the incentive clubs like Swinton needed to progress. However, as I've said, investment in your own infrastructure, when financially able to, is surely the way to avoid future problems. (Headingley stadium is perhaps the best example of this)'"

when i drafted that message I actually put a bit more then took it out...the point i was going to put was that we should be thankful that money was invested in building the North Stand at the Willows when it was...the Willows needed lots of money spent on just maintaining it over the last 15 years (which was an ongoing buden on the club!) but maybe not the huge costs that would have been needed to maintain/upgrade many other grounds (some of which - Station Road as an example - were much bigger grounds and hence costs would be greater still!).'"

So perhaps Salford have invested when they can. The problem being that they seldom could?

Quote: mmp "I wrote an essay along similar lines about changing to summer rugby and the impact of Sky Sports on the game when I was at University. Get hold of a book called To Jerusalem And Back by Simon Kelner, it will be very useful for your purposes. I wrote to every club in the league back in 1997/8 when I did it and the only replies I got were from Castleford and St. Helens. Richard Wright at Castleford wrote me a letter 3 pages long. If you want to get in touch with anyone, both clubs were very helpful to me then, so I'll suggest them as a place to start. Good luck with your work.'"

That's very helpful. Thank you very much!

It's encouraging to see that some clubs are prepared to engage with academics. I've certainly had some doors closed in my face although. I must knock harder and on more doors!
There certainly seems to be a degree of mistrust regarding academic researchers. But, there's real potential, imo, for rugby league and academia (especially the social sciences) to form mutually beneficial and complimentary relationships.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach2481No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2015Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12431.jpg

Quote: Stew2 "rlLeeds Met is close to bankruptcyrl'"

No, I missed that. Thanks.

GT
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner11532
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jan 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6248_1358341317.jpg
[b:2akkj491]Jeb End Reds[/b:2akkj491] [color=#FF0000:2akkj491][b:2akkj491][url=hhtp://www/foreverreds.co.uk/:2akkj491]SUPPORT FOREVER REDS - THE SALFORD CITY REDS SUPPORTERS' TRUST[/url:2akkj491][/b:2akkj491][/color:2akkj491] [b:2akkj491][color=red:2akkj491]MUFC[/color:2akkj491] ~ FCUM ~ [color=red:2akkj491]SRLFC[/color:2akkj491] ~ LCCC[/b:2akkj491] [url=http://undergreylancastrianskies.blogspot.com/:2akkj491]My Blog[/url:2akkj491] ~ [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/8580799@N06/:2akkj491]My Flickr[/url:2akkj491]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6248.jpg

There's also a lot of unrest amongst Yorkshire CCC's Members that there's a spanking new facility in the ground that they can only use a couple of times a season when the powers that be deem them worthy. Looking at the way Lancs have treated their Members recently and the use of The Point, I can understand that completely.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2488No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2014Aug 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17925.jpg
:17925.jpg

Quote: Red Preacher "A slight deviation from my topic but well worth a read. Interestingly, so much of what is recorded in rugby league literature, emanates via 'word of mouth,' 'folklore' etc etc.
Imo, this is a major (although perhaps unsurprising when you consider the origins and demographic of the sport), downfall.

'"

Again slightly off topic (but a point worth making) RL is unique amongst sports for the way its history is recorded. I think I'm right in saying no books, or maybe two at most, (save for official handbooks) were published about the sport until well after the second world war. I think Risman's autobiography was one of the first ones published and it slowly built from there with people like EM Waring. Similarly, no official records existed for the sport until Irvin Saxton and the rest got started compliling them in the 1970s. It just wasn't viewed as a necessity which again says things about how the sport viewed itself. There are still games in Salford's history where a complete record of the team that played doesn't exist.

I don't think this should be viewed as a negative though, on the contrary it adds something to the way people look at and remember the sport.

Back on topic, the two books by Geoffrey Moorhouse are a good resource for your project as well. At the George and other essays on Rugby League and The People's Game I think they are called. Both written just before Super League and touch on some of the subjects that will no doubt be covered by your essay. In one part he derides daft nicknames on clubs and say it would be awful in Rugby League. Thankfully he died shortly after. Moorhouse is a cracking writer as well.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4314
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32990_1435324474.jpg

Quote: Walshovski "In one part he derides daft nicknames on clubs and say it would be awful in Rugby League. Thankfully he died shortly after.'"

icon_eek.gif Were you his undertaker? icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach2481No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2015Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12431.jpg

Quote: GT "There's also a lot of unrest amongst Yorkshire CCC's Members that there's a spanking new facility in the ground that they can only use a couple of times a season when the powers that be deem them worthy. Looking at the way Lancs have treated their Members recently and the use of The Point, I can understand that completely.'"

What exactly is the arrangement at Headingley? And what exactly is the new facility used for (besides terracing)?

Oh, 3rd question, highlighting my lack of knowledge yet further, what has happened at Lancs?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach2481No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2015Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12431.jpg

Quote: Walshovski "Again slightly off topic (but a point worth making) RL is unique amongst sports for the way its history is recorded. I think I'm right in saying no books, or maybe two at most, (save for official handbooks) were published about the sport until well after the second world war. I think Risman's autobiography was one of the first ones published and it slowly built from there with people like EM Waring. Similarly, no official records existed for the sport until Irvin Saxton and the rest got started compliling them in the 1970s. It just wasn't viewed as a necessity which again says things about how the sport viewed itself. There are still games in Salford's history where a complete record of the team that played doesn't exist.

I don't think this should be viewed as a negative though, on the contrary it adds something to the way people look at and remember the sport.

Back on topic, the two books by Geoffrey Moorhouse are a good resource for your project as well. At the George and other essays on Rugby League and The People's Game I think they are called. Both written just before Super League and touch on some of the subjects that will no doubt be covered by your essay. In one part he derides daft nicknames on clubs and say it would be awful in Rugby League. Thankfully he died shortly after. Moorhouse is a cracking writer as well.'"

You're not far off there. According to Tony Collins, Risman's guide to rules of Rugby League (I can't remember the exact title) was the first book written on RL, although I believe it was written in 1937. I'll check that and get back to you.

I agree that it isn't necessarily a negative although the lack of literature, in particular academic literature, has certainly resulted in a lack of a voice in some important circles. The power of the written word is dominant in western cultures and as such, RL is somewhat incapacitated. However, the culture of RL in this respect is unique in that it can be viewed as a positive. If anything, it is a reflection of the folklore culture of the game. Which I see as like a castle or fort; culturally rich but limited in terms of potential wealth-creation and expansion by its own impermeable walls. I guess you're saying the same?

Cheers for those resources. I'm sure they will be perfect for what I'm trying to demonstrate.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator7498
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1055_1445006780.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1055.gif

Quote: Walshovski "I don't think this should be viewed as a negative though, on the contrary it adds something to the way people look at and remember the sport.'"

Just shows the progression of the sentiment for sport from a pastime to, in extreme cases, a matter of life or death. You could say early rugby league stalwarts were more likely to be averse to chronicling the game because they sought to disown anything that happened before the meeting at The George Hotel. This jettisoning of history is an issue with early books on RL club histories.

By the way a second-hand copy of Moorhouses's [iAt The George[/i is available for 1p on Amazon.

31 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, king of the shed
31 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, king of the shed

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.3486328125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Todays match v Saints
just_browny
17m
Salford H
Dave K.
20m