Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg
SUPPORT SWAG...:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10363.jpg

I never liked them but now I truly loathe them.

Stupid club monikers that’s what.

They are cheap and meaningless and imo add nothing.

All the clubs who don’t have silly animal names and badges look so much classier.

HKR
Hull FC
Wakefield Trinity
St Helens (who had far to much class to ever entertain the idea in the first place)

All sound better and all have better logos and thus a far more professional look.

Of course some of the animal branded teams work better than others. Castleford Tigers and Warrington Wolves have a certain ring to them.

I accept there is a certain history to Salford Red Devil’s though frankly I feel it’s probably to late to really reclaim it.

The rest are cheap, meaningless and tbh these days not even effective - people have moved on from daft tat like that and can see straight through it.

Giants and Dragons and Broncos are all plain embarrassing. However the two worst one are Leeds Rhinos (what the hell have Leeds got to do with Rhinos) and Wigan Warriors, a seriously unimaginative steal from NZ.

Leeds and Wigan are two of our three premier clubs, hugely recognisiable in there own right. Leeds as a major city is worth its weight in gold it doesn’t need a silly name tagging on, pLeeds RL was just fine.

As for Wigan, Wigan are by far our most famous and recognised club and as such need no embellishment. What’s worse is they only seem to use the Warrior tag half heartedly, which makes it even worse.

I’m sure the amazing number of marketing experts who seem to inhabit the VT will tell me what a great marketing tool they are. Well maybe once at the inception of SL but now they just look tired and jokey so I don’t buy that argument.

When Wakefield reverted to Trinity I know Carter was very nervous and only did it due to fans demands. He’s never regretted it since as Trinity merchandise flies off the shelf in a way Wildcats stuff never did. Although some of that is due to the teams improved performances the bulk is not.

Almost anyone above the age of 20 prefers tradition to silly cartoon names and badges. If Leeds dropped the Rhino motif I don’t think they would lose a penny, in fact I recon they would only gain. Whilst the prestige of just being Leeds RL would be worth even more.

Get rid, grow up and show some pride in the past and some faith in the future. We are a traditional and prestigious sport, we don’t need it anymore, as with imagination we can and should make our past work for us.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Look at you just trolling having at go at other clubs that aren’t yours....who are you to tell Gary Hetherington how to run his club etc etc etc.

In seriousness there’s a big difference between Leeds and Wakefield when it comes to marketing itself. Wakefield doesn’t have another big sports team under that name like Leeds do with Leeds United in football.

In a city where if you call yourself a Leeds fan people automatically assume you mean football, then the Rhinos name does help differentiate us and give us our own identity, Wakefield or St Helens not having a football team don’t have that problem.

When it comes to these names though why don’t people ever criticise NRL clubs for having them? Or NFL clubs, with worldwide name like Dallas COWBOYS, New York GIANTS and Miami DOLPHINS, these more successful leagues and sports do just fine with them yet apparently they’re a problem for the stuttering SL.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36014
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg
SUPPORT SWAG...:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10363.jpg

Quote: ThePrinter "Look at you just trolling having at go at other clubs that aren’t yours....who are you to tell Gary Hetherington how to run his club etc etc etc.

In seriousness there’s a big difference between Leeds and Wakefield when it comes to marketing itself. Wakefield doesn’t have another big sports team under that name like Leeds do with Leeds United in football.

In a city where if you call yourself a Leeds fan people automatically assume you mean football, then the Rhinos name does help differentiate us and give us our own identity, Wakefield or St Helens not having a football team don’t have that problem.

When it comes to these names though why don’t people ever criticise NRL clubs for having them? Or NFL clubs, with worldwide name like Dallas COWBOYS, New York GIANTS and Miami DOLPHINS, these more successful leagues and sports do just fine with them yet apparently they’re a problem for the stuttering SL.'"

I actually agree with much of what you say and how I’m trolling I don’t know. It does excuse Leeds a bit but I don’t reckon it’s needed now. Leeds RL does the job and many people in Leeds automatically refer to United as United whilst calling the RL team Leeds. I’m not from Leeds but have worked there for years and that’s my experience FWIW.

However Rhino, there has to be better.

The NRL is very different that’s why no one is so critical. They have embraced the American style of franchise for want of a better word.

Few of there clubs are original line ups. Many are off the shelf brand new. I suppose you can do what you like where there is no tradition.

Also a lot of the NSWRL teams were already known unofficially by their nicknames long before they started marketing it. Bulldogs, Roosters, Sea Eagles were all in common parlance even when I lived there in the early seventies.

It was already part of their game, they just rationalised it to suit them.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: vastman "I actually agree with much of what you say and how I’m trolling I don’t know. It does excuse Leeds a bit but I don’t reckon it’s needed now. Leeds RL does the job and many people in Leeds automatically refer to United as United whilst calling the RL team Leeds. I’m not from Leeds but have worked there for years and that’s my experience FWIW.

The NRL is very different that’s why no one is so critical. They have embraced the American style of franchise for want of a better word.

Few of there clubs are original line ups. Many are off the shelf brand new. I suppose you can do what you like where there is no tradition.

Also a lot of the NSWRL teams were already known unofficially by their nicknames long before they started marketing it. Bulldogs, Roosters, Sea Eagles were all in common parlance even when I lived there in the early seventies.

It was already part of their game, they just rationalised it to suit them.'"

Well my experience I’ve had is that even people I’ve worked who for over 10 years and know I’m a much bigger RL fan than football, when they ask me what I did at the weekend and I say “I went to the Leeds game” they still reply something along the lines of “oh they won 1-0 didn’t they” thinking I meant Leeds United when I mean Rhinos.

Why does they have to be better than Rhinos? Because you personally don’t like, is that a valid reason in all due respect?

The key word you use is above is “embrace”. Whichever way clubs go, the key thing is embracing it. Whatever you think of the Rhinos name you can’t deny that Leeds have embraced it and made it work. On the the other hand Wakefield never really embraced Wildcats so it didn’t work....admittedly you didn’t really need one because you had the ‘Trinity’ name there all along. Look at Hull FC, does that work any better than Rhinos, or even Bulls when they were in SL?

I honestly don’t see how going back to just plain simple Leed “RL” inthe year 2019 would be an improvement either marketing wise or brand wise. Got to remember that moving forward you’re appealing to a younger audience, the future generations.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Always knew Leeds as "The Loiners" in my early rugby days. You are right about Rhinos, stupid name! The others are no better, Vikings, Wolves, Bulldogs and the others, scrap the lot.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6809
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Jan 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18302_1567366773.png
[b:1crbsr9w] Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021! Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022! [/b:1crbsr9w]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18302.png

More trolling from Wakefield's "vastman."

Sydney "Roosters." Best run club and one of the most successful in the history of the NRL.

1950s French influence in the club's jersey colours and design and in the name ("le coq"icon_wink.gif. Nobody minds the name.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1173No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: vastman "

Also a lot of the NSWRL teams were already known unofficially by their nicknames long before they started marketing it. Bulldogs, Roosters, Sea Eagles were all in common parlance even when I lived there in the early seventies.'"

I have lived in Aus since 1968 and the nickname for the Canterbury club was 'Berries' until changed in the late seventies(197icon_cool.gif to 'Bulldogs'.
'Berries' was considered too soft and the club wanted a name which implied grit and determination.

Where were you living in the early 70's?

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1087No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77270_1562571079.jpg
The Leigh and Wakefield fans mentality...... Say something negative about any other team than theirs - Its an opinion Say something negative about Leigh and Wakefield - TROLL:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_77270.jpg

I kind of agree with vastman on this. However, with the exception of football, sports these days just feel the need to give themselves a silly name.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2019Nov 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
75357_1559488330.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_75357.jpeg

Absolutely agree wholeheartedly!

They are cheesy gimmicks that belong in the 1990s.

A few years ago Wire were saying they were going to make a big announcement and, to a man, our entire fanbase were hoping that it would be the ditching of “Wolves” from our club name.

We were all let down as it ended up being the release of a new club badge.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2019Nov 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
75357_1559488330.jpeg

Quote: JEAN CAPDOUZE "More trolling from Wakefield's "vastman."

Sydney "Roosters." Best run club and one of the most successful in the history of the NRL.

1950s French influence in the club's jersey colours and design and in the name ("le coq"). Nobody minds the name.'"

Is that your nickname where you’re from?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member12792
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1506.jpg
[quote:18jc6kzm]I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote:18jc6kzm]Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote="Jamie Jones-Buchanan":18jc6kzm]"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.[/quote:18jc6kzm]:1506.jpg

Leeds currently have parents rlthrowing £110 a timerl at the club to have Ronnie the Rhino appear at their kid's birthday party and £160 for their kids to run out with Ronnie on game day (and those packages are sold out). For the people that the "Rhino" moniker is really targeted at, it's anything but an embarrasing waste of time.

Wakefield dropped their nickname for two reasons. Firstly, it was a crap name that at best made it sound like an American High School cheerleading squad, and at worst a sleezy lapdancing club. Secondly, they spent too much time listening to the same old farts that they always listened to, instead of listening to the people that they might possibly be able to attract with the right approach.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4837No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: vastman "I never liked them but now I truly loathe them.

Stupid club monikers that’s what.

They are cheap and meaningless and imo add nothing.

All the clubs who don’t have silly animal names and badges look so much classier.

HKR
Hull FC
Wakefield Trinity
St Helens (who had far to much class to ever entertain the idea in the first place)

All sound better and all have better logos and thus a far more professional look.

Of course some of the animal branded teams work better than others. Castleford Tigers and Warrington Wolves have a certain ring to them.

I accept there is a certain history to Salford Red Devil’s though frankly I feel it’s probably to late to really reclaim it.

The rest are cheap, meaningless and tbh these days not even effective - people have moved on from daft tat like that and can see straight through it.

Giants and Dragons and Broncos are all plain embarrassing. However the two worst one are Leeds Rhinos (what the hell have Leeds got to do with Rhinos) and Wigan Warriors, a seriously unimaginative steal from NZ.

Leeds and Wigan are two of our three premier clubs, hugely recognisiable in there own right. Leeds as a major city is worth its weight in gold it doesn’t need a silly name tagging on, pLeeds RL was just fine.

As for Wigan, Wigan are by far our most famous and recognised club and as such need no embellishment. What’s worse is they only seem to use the Warrior tag half heartedly, which makes it even worse.

I’m sure the amazing number of marketing experts who seem to inhabit the VT will tell me what a great marketing tool they are. Well maybe once at the inception of SL but now they just look tired and jokey so I don’t buy that argument.

When Wakefield reverted to Trinity I know Carter was very nervous and only did it due to fans demands. He’s never regretted it since as Trinity merchandise flies off the shelf in a way Wildcats stuff never did. Although some of that is due to the teams improved performances the bulk is not.

Almost anyone above the age of 20 prefers tradition to silly cartoon names and badges. If Leeds dropped the Rhino motif I don’t think they would lose a penny, in fact I recon they would only gain. Whilst the prestige of just being Leeds RL would be worth even more.

Get rid, grow up and show some pride in the past and some faith in the future. We are a traditional and prestigious sport, we don’t need it anymore, as with imagination we can and should make our past work for us.'"

As a posed to your moniker, “troll”

Petty pointless post.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5874No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13517.jpg
:13517.jpg

They help with branding, marketing, advertising and also raise the appeal to the younger demographic. As others have already said, we need all the help we can get in enticing youngsters to become fans of the sport and like them or not, these names and brands help with that.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2019Nov 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
75357_1559488330.jpeg

Quote: bramleyrhino "Leeds currently have parents rlthrowing £110 a timerl at the club to have Ronnie the Rhino appear at their kid's birthday party and £160 for their kids to run out with Ronnie on game day (and those packages are sold out). For the people that the "Rhino" moniker is really targeted at, it's anything but an embarrasing waste of time.

Wakefield dropped their nickname for two reasons. Firstly, it was a crap name that at best made it sound like an American High School cheerleading squad, and at worst a sleezy lapdancing club. Secondly, they spent too much time listening to the same old farts that they always listened to, instead of listening to the people that they might possibly be able to attract with the right approach.'"

I think it works for some clubs. Especially for Leeds who have a sports club the nation know as “Leeds” who aren’t the Rhinos.

I don’t know a single Warrington fan who wouldn’t be happy to see “Wolves” ditched from the club name.

I don’t know any Wiganer who refers to Wigan as “The Warriors”. They certainly would not miss that name if they ditched it.

I was pleased when Manchester RL went for the traditional local rivival name of “Rangers” rather than opt for a silly animal name that has nothing to do with the city.

But if it works for Leeds then they shouldn’t change it.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain973No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Wire Quin at work:

Quote: vastman "I actually agree with much of what you say and how I’m trolling I don’t know. It does excuse Leeds a bit but I don’t reckon it’s needed now. Leeds RL does the job and many people in Leeds automatically refer to United as United whilst calling the RL team Leeds. I’m not from Leeds but have worked there for years and that’s my experience FWIW.

It was already part of their game, they just rationalised it to suit them.'"

Did the Roosters exists in the 70's or were they an area of Sydney ie Easts?

165 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
165 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.1875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Smith out ASAP
Leeds_Luke
37m
WHO IS NEXT
Once were Lo
57m