Jan 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2020Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3867.jpg
:3867.jpg

I constantly read about criticisms of officiating and how the governing body of the Rugby League manage the sport. I am a former match official that started out with the best of intentions, but discovered that the path through the game is littered with difficulties, expense and significant barriers along the way. My history with the sport is long (back into the late 1970’s), but my experience on the inside tarnished my opinion so much, that after my last game on 1st September 2013, I have only watched a solitary live game of Rugby League since, yet regularly went to 30 (or more during my officiating) games per year.

I, to this day, would not criticise those who do officiate, but would be critical of the sport itself for how it manages and supports its officials.

I had played some Rugby League, quite badly on the most part, but went back to play some social rugby as I missed the game, but didn’t feel able to play full contact and was heading to the stage the pro’s would call a veteran!

As my time as a player was coming to an end in 2006, I took up a challenge to train as a match official. During our tag rugby games, we found it difficult to get ref’s and as such I stepped in to allow the younger, faster and usually better players the chance to play. I quite enjoyed this different involvement and saw an opportunity to be involved in the sport that was a part of my life since I was a young boy.

Enthusiastically, I signed up, paid my course fee and then went a few weeks later (March 2006) to a course held in Hull, armed with my pre-course materials that I had read and went onto the 1 day course. This day was mostly theory for the large part and in the afternoon took the form of some fieldwork sessions on signalling and positioning on the field. At the end of the day, I was given a test to take home, complete and send off o the RFL. 6 Hours of input, 30 minutes of a course and I was qualified to referee.

It was some 5 months (August 2006) later that the local society invited me along to a meeting to join and start my refereeing career. Hardly the best of starts as I had qualified so long before. I was one of only two people from the 15 or so on my course that signed up to take the whistle onto the field. 3 weeks later, in some borrowed kit, I stepped out as a referee for an under 12’s game. These young players were playing the full rules for the first time having played modified rules until this age group. It was a learning experience for us all. As I blew time for the game, I had 15 minutes from the end of my first game, to the start of my second fixture to referee (an U13’s game). This was faster and more challenging as these kids had played full rules for a year, but I made it to the end with them and kept my cards in my pocket and maintained a vocal presence on the field.

I continued to do double-games for the next few weeks until someone from the society came down to observe me and offer some guidance. Over the proceeding weeks I had probably done 8 or 9 games before I was observed! The double games is normal for youth, but they can be demanding when you do an under 14’s followed by an under 16’s and you need to try to keep yourself warm in the meantime.

By November 2006, I was starting to take on open age touch judging duties in the National conference League. All this after 6 or so hours training and less than 20 youth games as a ref. The Conference league in Hull attracts large crowds and as a touch judge you are within a metre of them so here every wise crack and challenge to your patronage. My first game saw me travel to Skirlaugh who were a top Premier league side, yet I had never picked up a flag yet. No additional training. Straight into it, blagging what I could from watching TV and from asking the other TJ who had done a few more games than me.

I was building experience and doing adult games on a Saturday and youth games on a Sunday; three games most weeks. This does not make you rich. £6 for a youth middle (as it was) and £12 for a touch line in the amateur game covers your fuel costs when you have to travel from one side of town where I lived, to the other.

In early December 2006, I was appointed to a game where both teams colours and my referee kit clashed and I decided I needed a different coloured shirt, so I rang up the referees department at the Rugby Football League (RFL) and asked to buy a shirt. It was close season for the pro game and they were selling off shirts, so I paid my £15 for a yellow Powergen sponsored top and then was asked “Are you coming to the fitness test in January?” I replied that I wasn’t as a new referee. I was asked a few questions and then given invited to attend Leeds Met Carnegie for the fitness test in early January 2007.

I had around 6 weeks to train for this – I had only started reffing to keep fit, but here I was having to get fitter very quickly, which at 36 is quite a challenge. I ran daily, covering various distances around the streets, pushing myself to go faster for longer.

“The Cooper Test” as it is known is basically a 12 minute run and you have to achieve certain distances to pass dependent on your level in the sport. The entry level pass for the 2007 season was 2400m in 12 minutes for reserve grade, academy and Conference National (the old National League 3). My invitation caused some consternation in the local society as it was generally felt officials had to wait for their chance, unlike other areas that put people forward straight away.

I travelled with a few other local refs to Carnegie and started to warm up on the track where the temperature was almost 0 degrees Celsius. I was down to run in the third group as a first timer and spent the waiting time trying to stay warm in the wooden building by the track. Once my groups turn came, I stripped down to running tights and a sweatshirt as it was now below freezing. I set off at the pace I had worked out I needed to get my time, but the test was hard work. The icy air into hot lungs was hurting. I had 6 weeks training compared to the months others had, plus I was twice the age of many other rookies. I hear the 2 minute shout go up and tried to put in one final effort, the head was willing, the body less so and my lungs were on fire. On 12 minutes, a whistle is blown and you had to stop where you were and someone would come and tell you your distance. I was asked how many laps I had done. I didn’t have a clue. I was sweating like crazy and my lungs were burning with the cold air, I could barely answer. 2450m was the distance I was given. I had passed.

Within a week or so, I had been sent various forms to fill in by the RFL and by mid February had been called in for the first of the monthly training sessions with the other rookies! Now what the RFL didn’t tell me was that I had to be in Leeds at 6.30pm and get there under my own steam and expense. This was a challenge as the traffic getting there at that time was a nightmare and a 100 mile round trip can start to cost you in fuel over a season, not least the potential for lost time at the day job to get to training and fixtures. At the end of the first session that consisted of more track running, some spacial awareness training and some lessons on running forwards whilst facing sideways and how to hold the flag correctly, I was given my first game as a touch judge. An early round of the Challenge Cup. Yes, the Challenge Cup. It was an all amateur tie held in Leeds.

When you pass the fitness test, you get sent a shirt, a pair of shorts and a pair of socks (at no cost), however, you also need the other 2 coloured shirts, a tracksuit, some training gear and a rain jacket which you have to pay for from your wages (more on that later).

The new kit was still being made so I didn’t have the kit for the cup game, so turned up with my yellow shirt that had given me my fitness test opportunity, a pair of plain black shorts and plain black socks as I didn’t have the ones I should have. Shambolic really. Thankfully, we could all wear the yellow shirt and we at least looked like we weren’t just dragged out of the park to officiate.

This was in early March 2007. One year from the course, but after only 6 months of officiating (probably around 25 games) and I was already running lines in the challenge cup. The cup in those days paid well for a touch judge (£35), less tax, plus mileage for your travel. I even got a game in the next round. It went to extra time and that was a killer on a mud bath of a pitch. I was still wearing my yellow shirt and borrowed shorts for the Challenge Cup.

I had done my first two games, but not been paid. What no-one had explained was that I should have had a claim form for my games to complete and send back. Once I knew this, I filled them out, sent them back and sent in my self review from my game. The self review was important as it helped you learn but you had no personal reference point in the early games to base you performance on.

Back in local officiating, I was still doing games and had been appointed to be interchange official for a Super League game – this role is crucial to the interchange process and you work with the RFL appointed reserve referee. Your role is to make sure all interchanges are to be made in accordance with guidelines, however, you have to build rapport with the benches as this makes everyone’s life easier. I enjoyed this role, but I was also pitchside at Super League level for the first time. The speed and force of the collision was ferocious and not something you pick up from the stands. I also heard the crowd noise from the other side of the barrier – walking out of the tunnel to a barrage of noise is something I will always remember.

The new kit arrived in early April and I was called to ask if I wanted the various other add-ons that would be taken from my wages – the obligatory alternative shirts and then the tracksuit etc. This racked up around £150 of costs that would take me nearly the whole season to repay.

My games came fairly regularly and were either the Conference National which was a lowly competition that was of a standard with the current National Conference or at academy (u1icon_cool.gif or reserve grade for the teams below Super League. I travelled across Yorkshire, car sharing most of the time, whilst travelling to Leeds monthly for training. The match fees for a touch judge were poor. The rules stated that you had to be at a ground 90 minutes before kick off and then you had your game and had to shower etc. This was around 3.5 hours from start to finish (excluding travel), for the then fee of £16.75 before tax was deducted. £12 for 3 hours time plus travel for less than the minimum wage!

I enjoyed the officiating, but the additional trips to Leeds were becoming a drain on finances as I had a wife and two young children.

I finally received my first money for officiating in August as my previous wages had all contributed to the cost of the required kit. Now if you are a younger official relying on others, you can see why so many young talented officials fall by the wayside. Many can’t simply afford to pay the travel and kit costs required. It is more difficult these days as the kit changes annually, you still require 3 main kits, but in the early stages, you have to pay upfront for it!

I finished my first season and made it to the Grand final eliminator for the Conference National competition, just missing out on the final. A good first season, but it had taken its toll on me and the poor pitches at the low levels had left me with what turned out to be a stress fracture in my lower leg. I had been onfield with the injury for a few weeks, but just strapped it up. After the expense of the first season, I couldn’t justify the outlay on physio treatment so went for an xray at A&E. I spent the winter in rehab, running in water, swimming, rowing; anything to keep my fitness levels up.

I had to delay my fitness test in 2008 only deciding to take it on the day of the re-test following an all clear to run earlier that afternoon. I had a nightmare trip to Leeds arriving on track only 2 minutes before the start. No warm up – straight into it. I got seriously bad cramp part way around, but made 2590m, just 10m short of the pro level Touch judge standard. I was back and started games 5 days later. No new match kit this year- the last years was carried forward for a second season. I might start to cover my costs, but this wasn’t really about money for me – I was involved and had targeted a first team game for this season.

After a couple of games, I got a call from my coach and he asked me to start reviewing DVD’s of my performance and I started to get more input from the sport. Within weeks, I was starting to get Super League reserve grade games. These were much quicker games and more technical in the structure of the game. They also had much fitter players who had benefited from fulltime training. I alternated between the under 18’s and Super League reserve grade and really was starting to learn, but also the commitment was increasing.

I had to train to improve my fitness – my intention was to referee to keep fit, but the role had reversed.

I was building experience, but was still a relative rookie, when I was given a curtain raiser fixture at Headingley to officiate. This was a time to start working under greater scrutiny for me and the game was played at a fast pace. I made it through the game and to be honest didn’t notice the growing crowd as the game progressed. As an official you have to be fully focussed on the game. I always viewed the teams as red and blue (or whatever colour they were wearing) and that helps you focus on the players and the game. I only noticed the crowd when the howls of derision came from the South Stand when I stood back to disallow a try (correctly I will add).

Within weeks, I had been given a first team fixture, albeit it as reserve referee. It was Featherstone v Salford the day before the Super League licenses were to be announced for the first time. Now here is the rub. Because of local issues, I had only ever touch judged adult games and had not refereed an adult game (although I had reffed many junior games upto under 18’s). I was faced with the possibility of taking over in the middle of a top of the table game in the level below Super League with no adult reffing experience. The reality is, I would have encouraged a touch judge with more experience to step up and for me to go on the line as that would have been the best all round option. I always took pride in preparing well for games and liked to start concentrating on the game when I arrived at the ground. I was sadly disappointed when I arrived for the game as the match referee spent more time checking on the golf results and horse racing than preparing for the game. It felt like preparing for an amateur fixture rather than a top of the Championship game, but that is, I subsequently learned a common occurrence and I will go into that a little more later in the article.

The very next week, I got my first onfield appointment as a touch judge in Championship 1 and travelled to the game with other officials as we met up en route, parking at the White Bear pub to make the final stages of the journey together – the ref, 2 touch judges and the reserve ref all together. This was normal and a cost saving measure, but carries the risk that if the car breaks down, the game will have no officials at all. The team on this game was more professional about the job in hand and worked well to cover the game. I enjoyed the game in retrospect, but during it, was focussed on doing what I needed to do.

The rest of this season was spent covering a few more reserve referee games and largely academy and reserve grade games.

I have to make a point here where people say about hometown refs. I am a Hull FC fan and have officiated Hull FC lower grades on field, acted as interchange and match commissioner at first team level and have always remained impartial. It’s the job you are paid to do. My first game involving Hull FC onfield was a reserve game at Brantingham Park and I am known to plenty of fans there. My first action was to enter the field to report a late challenge on a kicker by Hull FC that got the player sinbinned. It was the right call as those were the laws of the game. There really is too much to think about to even add in giving one side any preferential decisions. Now add in the fact we are human, we can and do make mistakes. I have made them, including one in my first team debut – at the time I believed it was the right call, but on video review, I was wrong. It didn’t change the outcome of the game, but had the potential to do so. The next time I saw the player involved in that wrong call, I apologised for my mistake. Small consolation to him, but it was the right thing for me to do on a personal level.

My onfield time was brought to a premature end just a few weeks after my debut due to illness, but I got the chance to become a match commissioner the following year which kept me involved and was a role I really enjoyed.

A match commissioner is the RFL’s representative at the game and has to ensure that a raft of things are in place before a game takes place. There must be a doctor, a fully stocked and in-date medical equipment list (that is spot checked at each game), the pitch must be safe and correctly marked. You are responsible for ensuring everyone is there on time and for any kick off delays should the need arise. You are also in the position where you can postpone a game before kick off if there are issues, or abandon the game (in consultation with the referee) if there are issues during the game. You are also responsible for supporting the on-field team, liaising with coaches and attending the press-conference post match. A misconception is that you are the ref’s boss and that is not the case. Many irate coaches tell you to get a grip of the ref and tell him about his decisions, but in reality, that isn’t the role.

During the game you are pitch side with the reserve referee and interchange official.

My time as a commissioner had a few highlights, I was appointed to the Championship 1 final in 2010, but disappointingly didn’t get a medal (it was supposed to be given after the game to MC’s but mine never arrived despite chasing for it!!); I covered a 3 womens internationals, including games in the Womens World Cup; I also covered England academy v Australian Schoolboys. At Super League, I officiated the Hull Derby (the one where all the scandal around supplements broke and the game was crawling with the doping control guys) and also the Leeds v Bradford Derby.

Being an MC is a people business, but there are some coaches who make it their lives work to have a go about officials (some rightly), but you have to remain impartial, even when (towards the end) I actually found myself agreeing with them, but had to toe the party line! I had plenty of touch line disputes and heated conversations. One particular coach always moaned and so did his support staff. He crossed the line on more than one occasion and I did report him and his personal piggy bank was duly and correctly raided by the governing body (he suggested he wanted to shoot the officials during the post match meal in front of the teams!) plus he had a major outburst at the officials in the middle of the field after that game had ended.

A lot of the time, you can see coaches are under pressure for results and you have to try and factor that in to some responses. I remember at one Yorkshire club, the team was warming up and I had given them a 7 minute warning to kick off as teams should return to the dressing room. Two minutes later (with the coach watching on from the sidelines), I went out and called time and asked them to return to the dressing rooms as they were being called out in 2 minutes. Now the head coach wasn’t happy with me at all and told me so. As my ears took a beating, I faced up to a 6ft6 19 stone ex forward and told him the rules and that they needed to be in. As they walked in, the ref was blowing the whistle for them to go back out. The next time I saw the coach, I made a point of greeting him and then asked if we could synchronise watches to make sure we didn’t have a similar misunderstanding and that when my watch says 7 minutes, that’s time to be getting in!! I have been with that coach a number of times since and we always got on well. We shared a few jokes – I recall one game where he was coaching a play off game and the game had a super league referee appointed. He mischievously asked me which rules we were playing to which I responded with a smile, the same ones we always play to. I then asked, which ones will you be playing to today?

I have seen and been on the receiving end of outbursts from most coaches about officials – especially away from Super League, some justified, others not. What you have to remember is the officials in the lower leagues are young and on the way up, building experience. The fitness levels mean you often have young refs and not the older men of previous times who had the life skills that many young refs haven’t yet learnt.

I recall a certain Super League coach telling a referee in the tunnel to watch Sky sport at half time to see where he was going wrong (that ground had a tv in the refs changing room). The ref’s response without hesitation was that we only had Sky News in there and that he couldn’t watch it back. I ushered the ref into the changing room and turned back to the coach who was heading after his players.

Coaches also try it on to influence you to speak with the referee at half time. In one of my final games, a coach came upto me and said, “the ref isn’t penalising holding down”. At that point, I said to the coach, “your players hold onto the defender in your own 20 metre area, to try and win a penalty, but it doesn’t happen anywhere else on the field”. We didn’t have the conversation again after that, just an occasional knowing glance when it happened again.

So why give all this up, when it has so many benefits and the best view in the house?

I was becoming disillusioned with the whole officiating set up and whilst I tried to keep going and reinvigorate my interest, I saw things I felt were not right. You will recall that officials had to be there 90 minutes before kick off and as an MC you have to be there 2 hours before. I went to a game in West Yorkshire where the appointed referee had a reputation for being late. I got there to a number of problems with the pitch marking, the grass being left long and no lights in the away dressing room. I sorted them out, checked the doctors lists etc. and was ready for the game (the away coach wasn’t happy about the lighting, but we got it sorted for half time when the electrician could get in), but had no referee or reserve referee (they were travelling together). 35 minutes before kick off and the referee arrived. The touch judges had been to do the checking of the players and the teams were beginning their warm up. As MC, I was 15 minutes away from delaying kick off or postponing the game as there was no referee and no call to say they aware held up for any reason. This is no way to prepare for a game at professional level. After the game I was challenged by the governing body for travelling alone and incurring costs. I was told that I should have met up with the ref and travelled with him. I challenged this as my expenses were to be reduced. I made it clear that if I had arrived at 2.35 with the referee instead of 1pm, the game would not have gone ahead due to the other issues. My expenses were still reduced though.

There are other ref’s who turn up in the wrong frame of mind – you are always told to be mentally prepared, but can you really referee if you have spent most of, if not all of the night awake with a sick child and arrive looking exhausted. Can you referee if you are having to get painkillers from the doctor after the warm up because you are carrying a niggle from the previous day’s game? Many referees are doubling up by touch judging Super League on a Friday and then reffing championship a day or so later. This is great for the bank balance, but allows little recovery time, especially when you have to go to work in the intervening period and does affect your performance and ultimately the sport.

This is not solely the fault of the referee, but the governing body who insist on doing this when there are some touch judges who are capable but do not get the chance at a higher level – it is almost a closed shop.

There are massive issues of an unprofessional attitude from some who appear to be untouchable and will get games regardless of their attitude and approach. There are the situations where some officials spend the whole time in the pre-match discussing their love lives, watching Sky Sports News when there is a TV in the ref’s room, those that don’t bother to warm up, merely paying lip service to this. There are endemic problems in the system, but with young talented refs giving up through due to the lack of games, low pay and extortionate costs of kit in the early stages; you can see there is little pressure on those who are near to the top to raise their standards. Part time training, working and officiating is time consuming and those who get to referee at pro-level on a part time basis should be applauded for their determination to battle through a system that doesn’t support you well. It doesn’t excuse the unprofessional attitude of some and vindicates SOME of the comments of coaches about referees.

I saw a referee have a really bad game; he was normally a good ref, but his mind wasn’t on the game from minute 1 due to personal issues and it was showing; in hindsight, he should have withdrawn from the game and allowed another referee to be appointed, but didn’t (or couldn’t due to there being too few officials). I was getting flack from the benches of both sides and internally I agreed with what they were saying, but we were a team of officials and I was playing a straight bat in terms of the performance. A tirade from the coach afterwards was quite strong and I reported this as it was my role to do this. The coach did cross a line with his remarks, but his reason for criticism was fully justified. He took a fine for this, yet the referee was touch judging and refereeing games the next week with no punishment.

I brought to an end my involvement in the sport just over a year ago following an off the ball incident. I was the MC at a game involving York and Batley and with just a few minutes remaining, a York Player punched a Batley player off the ball after a few words had been exchanged. This happened within 6 feet of the benches and left the Batley player injured and bleeding profusely on the floor. The reserve ref and myself had it all on to keep calm on the benches and I spoke with the Batley bench and their head coach to stay back and let the officials deal with it, which they did. There was 3 minutes left in the game and this “attack” would only lead to retribution being sought. I asked the reserve ref to advise the touch judge of the incident so they could keep watch. The referee was alerted and dismissed the player (the correct course of action). The Batley bench were happy with the outcome, York less so, but they were accepting as they had seen the incident. The charge via the rugby league disciplinary shows that the player was found as no case to answer due to no admissible evidence. Now here is where I have the problem, if this incident happens on DVD it is ok, but off the ball will always go unpunished as the only evidence admissible is DVD. I saw this incident and reported it, but that was inadmissible; maybe I should have submitted my top that had splashes of the players blood on it – I was that close. When a coach says something out of turn, my word and statement is admissible to get the coach disciplined. That is seriously wrong.

I have only reported two coaches that have reached tribunal. The first one made a remark about the referee that was wholly inappropriate. I only found out about the tribunal in Leeds 10 minutes before it was happening when I received a call from the RFL tribunal administrators asking if I would be able to give telephone evidence in the next 20 minutes. I was sat at work and about to go to a meeting, so I couldn’t. This hearing was adjourned. I was called again with a little more notice at a later date, but again didn’t give evidence as it was not required. I would have been happy to give my evidence, but to give 5 minutes notice to someone who works for a living is unprofessional and highlights the flaws in the systems that are in place.

The second coach I reported got a heftier fine and did cross a line, but he also made lots of valid points about the referee. This was based on written testimony of all officials. Had this been constructive, it would have saved him £300.

These inconsistencies will damage the game. When a player can assault a player off the ball and receive no punishment it is wrong to not allow the testimony of all witnesses. Had I witnessed the same in the street, I would have been summoned to court as a material witness; yet in Rugby League as a match official and the governing body’s representative at a game I cannot report a serious issue off the ball as my evidence is not deemed suitable. As an aside, if this had happened in the crowd and I had reported it, action could have been taken against the club.

I have been to only one live rugby league game since this incident (ironically it is a game I was supposed to be MC for, but was withdrawn from following the York incident) as a guest of a good friend. I doubt I will ever attend another game of rugby league live in my life again. I am so disillusioned with those running the sport and the lack of professionalism from some of those in important positions. It wasn’t all bad in the start and for the majority it was a great experience.

There have been some funny moments in my officiating career…

There is the current Super League referee, who after the female masseuse had finished the rub down of his calves and hamstrings had to continue to lie face down on the massage table for a few minutes for the muscle stiffness elsewhere to ease.

The numerous comments from those in the stands aimed at me when I was a touch judge – I particularly liked a one guy’s attempts to wind me up at Keighley during a reserve grade game when everytime I was stopped in front of him he ranted, raved and eventually told me to stick the flag somewhere! I stuck it down my shorts and turned around telling him, he moaned more than my wife and I was here to get away from her! His was ribbed by his mates, but good friendly humour! If I had a quid for every attempted insult, I would be wealthy, but I’m not and I have heard them all and on more than 1 occasion and you come to expect it.

As a commissioner, there are always moments that require diffusing or the use of humour. Like the recently retired prop who was wearing the head trainer vest and was on and off the field more than he should be. I could have reprimanded him, or reported him to the ref who could have dismissed him. He was trying to do his job, albeit a little too enthusiastically and it needed a different approach. Instead, in front of the bench and the subs said to him that he had done more minutes on field today than he did as a player last season. Had the bench laughing and he took the point! He is now a Super League head coach so has someone else to do the legwork, who no doubt will try to do big minutes on the field.

So long Rugby League, we’re through and the association I have had with you since 1979 when I watched my first ever game live, through being a Ballboy, Programme Seller, Turnstile operator, scoreboard operator, matchday help, supporters team organiser, (a not very good) player, referee, touch judge, match commissioner, supporters association committee member, webmaster to the referees society, co-ordinator of clubs medical records on behalf of the RFL, an almost team liaision officer during the world cup (I resigned from that role ahead of the tournament due to the events last year), a collector of RL memorabilia (half sold, the rest to follow) and above all a regular fan is over. I have tried to rekindle my passion for the game by watching on TV, but when games are being played, I no longer feel the desire or compulsion I have felt in the past to be there.

Sidestep over and out.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2862
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2017Dec 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47753_1430033772.jpg
JOHN THE REDBOY I have been a rovers fan all my life and my grandkids are as well:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47753.jpg

BLOODY hell I thought I was reading a book I will have to have a lie down now icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6035No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11371.gif
:11371.gif

Close the door behind you. Bye bye.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2150
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47557_1332937611.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47557.jpg

Good article and very insightful. (for an FC fan) icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31800
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

Interesting stuff.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1820No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Great read.
Good on you for putting it on here. I'm guessing a lot of time & effort was taken to compile it, and then pasted in

Wonder what the RFL will think....... icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star4239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

实事求是!:

Worth the read if you have the patience, some really insightful (and kind of depressing) stuff.

Rugby league is a joke of a sport.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12488No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
disney/00004.gif
Huddersfield Giants 2013 over achievers Huddersfield Giants 2014 under achievers ??????????:disney/00004.gif

Pretty depressing i have to say. Looks really bad for the RFL

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member20315No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2760_1608132744.jpg
[quote="king warrior":2yifc012]Dave do us a favour and gtfo you wopper[/quote:2yifc012]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2760.jpg

Most interesting post on this site for a while, a rare occurrence amongst the usual tripe. Great read, thanks.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1487No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2016Sep 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Keighley RLFC - Keep The Faith:

Really enjoyed reading that.

I think it shows yet more incompetence by the fruit cakes who run the game.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1630No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Jun 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3222.jpg
:3222.jpg

What a really interesting ( and sad) post....and hopefully might make us all think a little before we start bagging the officials !

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: the exile "What a really interesting ( and sad) post....and hopefully might make us all think a little before we start bagging the officials !'"

Agreed. Though the bigger issue is how poorly the match officials are trained, assisted and led by the RFL.

To be honest, I think it highlights something I've thought for a while. That the pro clubs need to forgo some of the TV money so that the RFL can be run properly and professionally. As it appears, from the outside anyway, that everything, including executive management, is run on a shoestring.

RankPostsTeam
International Star48No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2014Nov 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Great insight into something that most suspected anyway Mick, its great that you have opened this can of worms and maybe the RFL will get to read!!
Who would be a ref heh.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2484No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Nov 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62513_1315488299.png
[color=#0000FF:6eeyneer]ONE[/color:6eeyneer] [color=#FFFF00:6eeyneer]LOVE[/color:6eeyneer] God bless the flag that I live under the colours of primrose and blue.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_62513.png

Great read, thank you.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17134No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
193.jpg
Northampton RL....details here: //www.northamptonrl.co.uk:193.jpg

Good writing. Thanks Mick

27 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
27 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.93115234375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Shareholders Meeting
Scarlet Pimp
Recent
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Blotto
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
25s
Shopping list for 2025
DSJ1983
26s
Betting 2024
karetaker
35s
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
57s
Accounts
faxcar
1m
Club Statement
UllFC
2m
Batley H
Bullseye
2m
This weeks disciplinary
karetaker
4m
Round 26 Wigan Away
Once were Lo
4m
Staying or Not
fanstanningl
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Playoff Semi Final
NickyKiss
TODAY
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Blotto
TODAY
Shareholders Meeting
Scarlet Pimp
TODAY
James Clark
Jake the Peg
TODAY
Le Cats at home - Los Alomos Custers Last Stand
Hasbag
TODAY
Realistic targets for 2025
CarlB
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 27
Rixy
TODAY
Club Statement
UllFC
TODAY
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside York Knights Challenge
RLFANS News
TODAY
Old FC when we knew how to play rugby
mk_fc
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition London Home
Wire Weaver
TODAY
Dons v Widnes - Sunday 15 September 2024
Kick and cha
TODAY
Catalans Keep Season Alive With Victory Over The Broncos
RLFANS News
TODAY
A new low
Jo Jumbuck
TODAY
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And Send Hull FC Bottom
RLFANS News
TODAY
Points difference
orangeman
TODAY
Toulouse away
faxcar
TODAY
Todays game v Giants
Barbed Wire
TODAY
Staying or Not
fanstanningl
TODAY
Salford H Moved to Thursday
NickyKiss
TODAY
North Stand
NickyKiss
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
Leeds Rhinos Ride Their Luck F..
Wigan Warriors Level Top As Ca..
Castleford Tigers Inflict Anot..
Leigh Into the Six After Beati..
Five Into Three - Our Top Six ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 2,718 80,11914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Thu 19th Sep
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R27
20:00
Huddersfield
v
Castleford
Wigan
v
Salford
 Fri 20th Sep
     National Rugby League 2024-R29
10:50
Cronulla
v
NQL Cowboys
       Championship 2024-R27
19:30
Sheffield
v
York
Hull KR
v
Leeds
Leigh
v
St.Helens
Warrington
v
LondonB
 Sat 21st Sep
     National Rugby League 2024-R29
10:50
Sydney
v
Manly
15:00
Hull FC
v
Catalans
       Championship 2024-R27
18:00
Featherstone
v
Dewsbury
18:00
Widnes
v
Toulouse
19:30
Wakefield
v
Barrow
 Sun 22nd Sep
       Championship 2024-R27
Batley
v
Swinton
Halifax
v
Bradford
Swinton
v
Doncaster
       League One 2024-R24
Hunslet
v
Midlands
Keighley
v
Rochdale
 Sat 28th Sep
       Championship 2024-R28
17:00
Toulouse
v
Batley
 Sun 29th Sep
       Championship 2024-R28
Barrow
v
Widnes
Bradford
v
Swinton
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Thu 19th Sep
SL
Huddersfield-Castleford
SL
Wigan-Salford
Fri 20th Sep
SL
Hull KR-Leeds
SL
Leigh-St.Helens
SL
Warrington-LondonB
Sat 21st Sep
SL
Hull FC-Catalans
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sun 15th Sep
WSL2024 14 FeatherstoneW6-32York V
WSL2024 14 Hudds W36-0Wire W
CH 26 Barrow34-14Whitehaven
CH 26 Bradford16-14Batley
CH 26 Dewsbury16-28Swinton
CH 26 Doncaster30-14Widnes
CH 26 Featherstone6-20Sheffield
CH 26 Wakefield20-4York
NRL 28 Canterbury22-24Manly
L1 23 Midlands24-22Workington
L1 23 Rochdale30-18Hunslet
Sat 14th Sep
SL 26 Hull FC4-58Salford
SL 26 Catalans12-8LondonB
SL 26 Huddersfield0-66Warrington
CH 26 Toulouse38-18Halifax
NRL 28 Melbourne37-10Cronulla
NRL 28 NQL Cowboys28-16Newcastle
Fri 13th Sep
SL 26 Leigh0-24Hull KR
SL 26 St.Helens40-4Castleford
SL 26 Wigan38-0Leeds
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 26 657 336 321 42
Hull KR 26 693 311 382 40
Warrington 26 684 319 365 38
Salford 26 550 483 67 32
St.Helens 26 584 370 214 30
Leigh 26 548 386 162 29

Leeds 26 514 462 52 28
Catalans 26 451 423 28 28
Huddersfield 26 434 648 -214 18
Castleford 26 415 701 -286 15
LondonB 26 317 862 -545 6
Hull FC 26 324 870 -546 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 24 892 256 636 46
Bradford 24 618 373 245 32
Toulouse 23 662 340 322 31
Sheffield 24 594 472 122 28
Widnes 24 513 433 80 27
York 25 613 439 174 26

Featherstone 24 566 472 94 26
Doncaster 24 470 527 -57 23
Batley 24 378 513 -135 20
Halifax 24 475 617 -142 20