Jan 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2014Aug 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12226.jpg
:12226.jpg

The RFL and clubs are committed to the idea of a magic weekend. I propose that the magic weekend be revised to be a nines tournament with a cup going to the winner. What do people think?

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Is there really the appetite for a 9's comp here yet?
We had one at Headingley but neither clubs nor fans properly committed to it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1240No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2014Aug 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12226.jpg

Yes there was a nines, it was held at headingly on a week night which instantly limits fans going to just the Leeds area and had zero marketing. If the marketing for magic weekend was used for promoting a nines comp combined with it being held on a summer bank holiday weekend the fan take up would dwarf the current magic weekend interest. It would also allow clubs from the championship the chance to take part. It would enable a new income revenue with the the potential sponsorship of the nines cup.

Sky would love it as the games are shorter so they get the chance for more advert breaks and increase their income via commercials along with broadcasting a genuine tournament rather than a meaningless round of matches. It's a win win for all

Him
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

Quote: cmscwarn "Yes there was a nines, it was held at headingly on a week night which instantly limits fans going to just the Leeds area and had zero marketing. If the marketing for magic weekend was used for promoting a nines comp combined with it being held on a summer bank holiday weekend the fan take up would dwarf the current magic weekend interest. It would also allow clubs from the championship the chance to take part. It would enable a new income revenue with the the potential sponsorship of the nines cup.

Sky would love it as the games are shorter so they get the chance for more advert breaks and increase their income via commercials along with broadcasting a genuine tournament rather than a meaningless round of matches. It's a win win for all'"

I think you're drastically overestimating the interest in a 9's comp here. Would it really get 30-35k attendance?

If we want a 9's comp then great, let's do one and do it properly. But I'm not sure why it has to replace the Magic Weekend. Why not have both?

But the big problem would be making it worthwhile to the clubs in order that they put their best players in it. If it's just fringe players and u19's then it'll go the same way as the Headingley one.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1240No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2014Aug 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12226.jpg

Add another game to the calendar? The teams already play enough matches. I disagree the magic weekend is utterly meaningless I bet you can't name anything that the current magic format brings to the table that a nines tournament wouldn't ( bar 2 points to a meaningless league system), most fans know it and that's why the attendances are so low. A nines competition with a trophy for the winners would easily generate more fan and media interest.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2797No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39978_1327618193.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39978.jpg

I think it's the best option. IMO the MW doesn't serve an actual purpose and having an additional fixture when teams are relegated is stupid.

I would look at bringing the CC final back to May, with a magic 9's weekend being around end of July/beginning of August as the interim week between the split from 2 leagues of 12 to 3 of 8

Him
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

Quote: cmscwarn "Add another game to the calendar? The teams already play enough matches. I disagree the magic weekend is utterly meaningless I bet you can't name anything that the current magic format brings to the table that a nines tournament wouldn't ( bar 2 points to a meaningless league system), most fans know it and that's why the attendances are so low. A nines competition with a trophy for the winners would easily generate more fan and media interest.'"

Teams don't play enough matches, we need them to play more not less. Some players play too many games, which is why I'd limit the amount elite players play each year, but that's a different argument.

Adding a 9's tournament is hardly stretching the season beyond limit, especially as we could get rid of the Exiles game.
I can easily name one, in fact 2, money and media exposure. The attendances aren't low so I'm not sure what you're on about there.

You still haven't said why you think a 9's competition would generate more fan and media interest than the Magic Weekend. Just repeating what you said before isn't the same as saying why.
You just appear to have an intense dislike for the Magic Weekend and so are clinging to any reason to get rid of it.
Why would a meaningless 9's tournament get fans more interested than a full sided game that is worth 2 league points?
How would you get the clubs to put their best players out for it?
Would it really get 30-35k attendance?
As I said why not have it in addition to the Magic Weekend and current season?

RankPostsTeam
International Star35No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2015May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I don't understand this love affair with 9s. It's glorified tick rugby.

That said, I am not a fan of the Magic Weekend in its current format either - I wonder what will happen if a team is relegated by 2 points decided upon the Magic weekend...

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6809
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Jan 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18302_1567366773.png
[b:1crbsr9w] Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021! Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022! [/b:1crbsr9w]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18302.png

This has already been discussed in another thread -- the Auckland Nines Allnighter thread which is making waves all over England. Please let's not get repetitive.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2681No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
58216_1342011610.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_58216.jpg

I really don't see the point in 9s. Thought it worked well as a pre season tournament, but when the season starts I'd rather watch proper rugby

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member18789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2690.jpg
:2690.jpg

Aussies do something.
Let's copy.

Yeah.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1240No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2014Aug 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12226.jpg

Quote: Him "Teams don't play enough matches, we need them to play more not less. Some players play too many games, which is why I'd limit the amount elite players play each year, but that's a different argument.

Adding a 9's tournament is hardly stretching the season beyond limit, especially as we could get rid of the Exiles game.
I can easily name one, in fact 2, money and media exposure. The attendances aren't low so I'm not sure what you're on about there.

You still haven't said why you think a 9's competition would generate more fan and media interest than the Magic Weekend. Just repeating what you said before isn't the same as saying why.
You just appear to have an intense dislike for the Magic Weekend and so are clinging to any reason to get rid of it.
Why would a meaningless 9's tournament get fans more interested than a full sided game that is worth 2 league points?
How would you get the clubs to put their best players out for it?
Would it really get 30-35k attendance?
As I said why not have it in addition to the Magic Weekend and current season?'"

I dont want rid of the magic weekend, i feel it could be put to better use.

???The 2 things you name money and media exposure:-

MEDIA-- Which gets the more column inches in the national press the current format of the magic weekend or the challenge cup final? the magic weekend is seen by the press at just another round of games nothing more nothing less, a nines comp would generate interest like a cup final because it has something at the end that the teams are playing for! And this is why the fans would take to it, along with the fact that nines rugby is fast and attack orientated.

MONEY-- the magic weekend is just another round of matches it doesnt have a seperate sponsor. It doesnt generate any additional income in gate receipts as tickets are sold at a cheaper price than normal matchday tickets for superleague games. wheres the extra money??? a nines comp would generate the same cash made via the stadium hosting deal AND would generate cash via a comp sponsor.

As a fan i have been to the magic weekend 4 times. I love my rugby but as a fan i would rather see this nice sunny bank holiday weekend be used for an event with MEANING rather than as an additional round of superleague. Thats my opinion and im fairly certain most other fans would agree.

I didnt post this poll to start an arguement over whos right and wrong. Its a simple poll to ask everyone if you had the choice which would you prefare, a weekly round of additional games held as the magic weekend OR a weekend nines tournament with a cup going to the winner. Dont expect me to respond back to your next comments because your simply derailing the thread, and i have better things to do than calm your apparent hatred towards a nines competion. you are Nigel Wood and i claim the £10 prize..............

Him
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

Quote: cmscwarn "I dont want rid of the magic weekend, i feel it could be put to better use. '"

You want to completely change what it is and what it's called. Replacing it with a 9's comp is getting rid of it. It's a perfectly legitimate view and one that I can understand.
But I don't see why we can't have both.

Quote: cmscwarn "???The 2 things you name money and media exposure
That's a very stupid comparison. The Challenge Cup gets the coverage it does (which still isn't much) because of its history and the fact it gets 70-80k to Wembley.
A new 9's comp will be largely ignored by the press along with most RL events. Just because it has a cup doesn't make it special. The 9's comp at Headingley had a cup, the Boxing Day fixture of Leeds v Wakefield has a cup, it doesn't generate media interest.

Quote: cmscwarn "MONEY-- the magic weekend is just another round of matches it doesnt have a seperate sponsor. It doesnt generate any additional income in gate receipts as tickets are sold at a cheaper price than normal matchday tickets for superleague games. wheres the extra money??? a nines comp would generate the same cash made via the stadium hosting deal AND would generate cash via a comp sponsor. '"

How much would the sponsor of the 9's comp pay?
The extra money? Because it's an extra game. It's a game that wouldn't take place otherwise.
So if the 9's comp would generate the same cash then do you think it would get 30-35k fans in attendance? I think it would struggle to get half that initially.
Which is why I'm not in favour of binning the Magic Weekend.

Quote: cmscwarn "As a fan i have been to the magic weekend 4 times. I love my rugby but as a fan i would rather see this nice sunny bank holiday weekend be used for an event with MEANING rather than as an additional round of superleague. Thats my opinion and im fairly certain most other fans would agree. '"

Hang on. Why does this mythical 9's comp suddenly have so much meaning? Why do fans love it and value it? People value the Challenge because of its history. People value the Grand Final because it's the Championship. Why would people value this suddenly?
Why is the 2 points on offer at the Magic Weekend any less meaningful than the 2 points on offer in the other 26 rounds?

Quote: cmscwarn "I didnt post this poll to start an arguement over whos right and wrong. Its a simple poll to ask everyone if you had the choice which would you prefare, a weekly round of additional games held as the magic weekend OR a weekend nines tournament with a cup going to the winner. '"

Yes, and I responded to your poll. Again, I don't see why it has to be a straight choice. Why not have both?

Quote: cmscwarn "Dont expect me to respond back to your next comments because your simply derailing the thread, and i have better things to do than calm your apparent hatred towards a nines competion. you are Nigel Wood and i claim the £10 prize..............'"

How silly of me to discuss a 9's competition on a thread about a 9's competition. You appear very jumpy when someone disagrees with you. It's not a personal attack merely someone disagreeing with your opinion. It appears to be you who needs to calm and actually read what is posted. If you had done you wouldn't have seen any "hatred" in my posts toward a 9's comp. As I've continually posted, why not have both?

Him
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

Quote: littlerich "Aussies do something.
Let's copy.

Yeah.'"

It does seem that way.

I'm not against 9's per se. I'm just unsure it'd be successful here. The only way it would work is if the SL clubs were somehow forced or encouraged to play their best players in it. Even then I'm unsure.

If someone finds a way to make it work, fantastic. Anything that generates money and interest is good and it could be RL's way into the Commonwealth Games.

MOT
RankPostsTeam
International Star730No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2014Apr 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62788_1349271436.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_62788.jpg

We can't really have it as a pre season tournament as who would want to sit in the cold for 2 days? You would have to play it in summer which does lead it to a mid season weekend. If we got a big sponsor (i know would be hard) and the prize money was big enough teams would put out their best players as they would want to win it. Well the owners would anyway and they pay the bills

32 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
32 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.138671875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 16 London Home
YosemiteSam
2m
TV games not Wire
karetaker
2m