Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68373_1347290769.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68373.jpg

Recently leeds were trying to sign Gareth Widdop from the melbourre storm but ultimatly the transfer didn't happen because it simply wasn't financially viable with the wages in the NRL and the exchange rate.

I was also interested to see wigans recruitment and how they are losing finch, lima, leuluai and carmont, and how they have signed a couple of young guys in the halfbacks but as of yet, no big replacements.

This is something we will see more and more of as the final generation of quality imports moves on and clubs are forced to either look for young replacements over here, or queensland cup reserves.

The effect of this is 2 fold.

The overall quality of the competition is going to decline further. I think most realistic fans, who aren't brainwashed by sky will agree that quality has gradually declined in recent seasons. Well it's certainly not going to improve in the short term because we simply can't afford to fill the gaps with quality from the NRL anymore, which means we are relying on a thin player pool over here.

The second effect is that the competition will continue level up.... somewhat. I say somewhat because you still get the usual suspects come trophy time.

This means that now, more than ever teams need to putting all their focus on developing the young players, because over the coming years the successful teams will be the teams that do the best job of doing that. Warrington have a massive couple of years when hodgson, morley, briers and monghan move on but I hear their under 20's won the grand final, so they are already on their way.

Maybe the finanical clout of the NRL will force everyones hand in turning to youth, god knows we need it. Because no matter what was said about franchising, the quota etc, there are still too many teams who rely too much on second rate imports.

Alot of rugby fans in general seem to be dissallusioned with the game at present, for various reasons and some are touched upon above (quality of games) but now is the time to hang tight. Taking your money out of the game will not help things although obviously that's a personal choice which is respected. But I believe things will be alot better in 10 years, this is just a trough that we have to, and is necessary to go through.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

Quote: Peter Kingsley "... I think most realistic fans, who aren't brainwashed by sky will agree that quality has gradually declined in recent seasons.'"

I am a realistic fanm and I am not brainwashed by Sky. I am certain that overall the quality of the SL comp has significantly improved in recent seasons.

Quote: Peter Kingsley "... Well it's certainly not going to improve in the short term because we simply can't afford to fill the gaps with quality from the NRL anymore, which means we are relying on a thin player pool over here. '"

Come off it. The change in currency values is not [ithat[/i great and could fluctuate in future. And there will always be fine players elsewhere who, for whatever reason, cannot get a regular spot at their club, or cannot get the contract they want, or whatever.

Quote: Peter Kingsley "... This means that now, more than ever teams need to putting all their focus on developing the young players, '"

Well yes, but isn't that what the changes in the quotas have been directly aimed at, and isn't one consequence of the recession that clubs have little choice in this?

Quote: Peter Kingsley "... Maybe the finanical clout of the NRL will force everyones hand in turning to youth, god knows we need it. Because no matter what was said about franchising, the quota etc, there are still too many teams who rely too much on second rate imports.'"

But aren't you contradicting yourself there? If the existing imports are "second rate", surely losing them is a huge [iadvantage[/i?

RankPostsTeam
International Star161No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68373_1347290769.jpg

Quote: Ferocious Aardvark "I am a realistic fanm and I am not brainwashed by Sky. I am certain that overall the quality of the SL comp has significantly improved in recent seasons.

Come off it. The change in currency values is not [ithat[/i great and could fluctuate in future. And there will always be fine players elsewhere who, for whatever reason, cannot get a regular spot at their club, or cannot get the contract they want, or whatever.

Well yes, but isn't that what the changes in the quotas have been directly aimed at, and isn't one consequence of the recession that clubs have little choice in this?

But aren't you contradicting yourself there? If the existing imports are "second rate", surely losing them is a huge [iadvantage[/i?'"

Regarding your 1st point, the quality hasn't increased. The week in week out games are of a poorer standard.

Regarding your 2nd point, the NRL dwarfs super league in financial clout. There used to be a saying that they came over here for ''a pay day''. But not anymore because the pay day [iis[/i the nrl.

Regarding your 4th point, In general terms the smaller clubs rely on second rate imports whilst the top teams have generally been able to get the better ones. But that's happening less and less due to the money in the NRL and our salary cap.

RankPostsTeam
International Star394No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

In what time scale are you putting on this decline in quality of SL?

Because in reality in say the last 5 years we have gone from two clear top two teams in Saints & Leeds to arguably a clear top 5 that are very close in competitiveness and quality and add Huddersfield and Hull F.C who are very good on there day and can challenge any team in the League.

We have also seen a decline in expensive imports and better quality young British players in Tomkins,Burgess,Hall,Shenton,Watkins,Charnley,Myler,Atkins,Hardaker,Briscoe etc.. who will should bring an exciting era on England RL in the next 5 years or so.

I just don't see this massive decline you say you see! If anything it has improved in my honest opinion.... especially the new exciting talents I have listed above who are tearing up the league at the moment

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3134
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Pollsters doing Excellent job - say recent polls.:

Quote: tenerifeRhino "better quality young British players in Tomkins,Burgess,Hall,Shenton,Watkins,Charnley,Myler,Atkins,Hardaker,Briscoe etc.. who will should bring an exciting era on England RL in the next 5 years or so.'"

The only concern I have is if our better quality young players start to be seen as good value for the NRL to bring over to Aus - or - union starts to poach a bit more.

This has never really happened to any great extent before but there is now a widening of the salary cap gap and will probably see higher wages as well in Aus & union. It's a short career. 5 or so years in RL here to get established as a high level performer then seek a payday elsewhere.

RankPostsTeam
International Star161No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68373_1347290769.jpg

Quote: tenerifeRhino "In what time scale are you putting on this decline in quality of SL?

Because in reality in say the last 5 years we have gone from two clear top two teams in Saints & Leeds to arguably a clear top 5 that are very close in competitiveness and quality and add Huddersfield and Hull F.C who are very good on there day and can challenge any team in the League.

We have also seen a decline in expensive imports and better quality young British players in Tomkins,Burgess,Hall,Shenton,Watkins,Charnley,Myler,Atkins,Hardaker,Briscoe etc.. who will should bring an exciting era on England RL in the next 5 years or so.

I just don't see this massive decline you say you see! If anything it has improved in my honest opinion.... especially the new exciting talents I have listed above who are tearing up the league at the moment'"

I said decline in quality and increase in competitveness.

What you described above is a levelling out of teams because some of the best ones have declined in quality. Just compare saints line up now to the 2006 one.

RankPostsTeam
International Star394No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Peter Kingsley "I said decline in quality and increase in competitveness.

What you described above is a levelling out of teams because some of the best ones have declined in quality. Just compare saints line up now to the 2006 one.'"

Well that's just a decrease in the Saints first team, it usually happens after a very good era for a team and players leave get old or retire. But the increase of Wire,Cats,Wigan and Huddersfield makes up for that compare there line-ups of 2006 to todays!..but saints are still a quality side with a good young core that will improve and keep challenging for silverware.

You didn't answer my question on the time scale this decline in quality has taken place in 15years? 10 years? 5? what?

and what made this time so much better?

Are you saying because there are more young British players in top teams coming through and getting established the league is worse....and would only be better if we starting buying ageing Aussie stars for one last pay day like 10 years ago

RL fans are never happy

rewind 10 years we have too many mercenary Aussies/Kiwis in the league...we need to bring through more English talent

FFWD to today where the SL champions have only 2 foreign players in the starting squad and a whole heap of young talent playing in the league and a more competitive league this means not improvement but just everyone getting worse.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17134No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
193.jpg
Northampton RL....details here: //www.northamptonrl.co.uk:193.jpg

Quote: Peter Kingsley "I said decline in quality and increase in competitveness.

What you described above is a levelling out of teams because some of the best ones have declined in quality. Just compare saints line up now to the 2006 one.'"

How are you measuring the quality. Athleticism and skill both seem to have increased to me.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2490
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2022Aug 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I think we will lose a lot of our best players to the NRL & to me that can only be good as if they measure up to the NRL the national squad will become more competative, young British lads will have more oportunity in Super league they in turn will be in the shop window for the NRL thus increasing the quality of players for the international sides, most teams will have to use local lads in thier teams which will create more interest with the fans. The only down side is that we will not have the chance to see some of the best Kiwis & Aussies playing in our game.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3859No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12722.gif
:12722.gif

Didn't Widdop state within the last 2 years that he'd only play for the Bulls in Super League?

RankPostsTeam
International Star3213
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68505_1605979550.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68505.jpg

Quote: Paul124897 "Didn't Widdop state within the last 2 years that he'd only play for the Bulls in Super League?'"

Yeah, but money will always talk the loudest for pro sportsmen

RankPostsTeam
International Star718No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The biggest problem is, Australia have always sent either
(a) Ageing players at the back end of their career to England on longer more lucrative contracts and several of them have cried off and gone home on "compassionate" grounds.
(b) players that can not hold a first grade spot on a permanent basis in the NRL.

Neither are really good options, you can count on less than one hand the "Stars" that have come to England, they have never been top shelf current Test players other than maybe King.

Australia are cherry picking the best that England have in Ellis, Graham, and Burgess, (Tomkins will be next) it will end up with all of the cream moving to the NRL many on game incentive contracts with the rejects thrown back and the successful kept on.

SL will become a second rate feeder competition to the NRL if what is happening now continues.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach523No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2016Nov 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Then scrap the salary cap in this country.

The RFL should instead set fixed penalties if clubs go into Administration or go bust.

Then just step back and let the clubs get on with it.

RankPostsTeam
International Star718No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

NRL Clubs are struggling, even with decent crowds, national or international main sponsors and big support from Licensed leagues Clubs.
The Titans have been treading the tightrope for two years until they restructured.
West Tigers have had to ask for an advance on next years TV money to stay solvent.
Cronulla are touch and go every year, Canberra are not much better, the Storm would battle without special conditions (like London) and Newscorps ownership.

If the NRL struggle as one of the big two Winter Sports with all of the TV revenue and SOO being the most watched product on TV every year......

How do small SL Clubs with small population bases like Cas and Wakey fare? (half of the League in reality)
How many SL Clubs have large City populations to support them or have untapped fans to convert?

Its going to be a tough few years IMO.

RankPostsTeam
International Star594No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2014Apr 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Buggo "NRL Clubs are struggling with decent crowds, national or international main sponsors and big support from Licensed leagues Clubs.
The Titans have been treading the tightrope for two years until they restructured.
West Tigers have had to ask for an advance on next years TV money to stay solvent.
Cronulla are touch and go every year, Canberra are not much better, the Storm would battle without special conditions (like London) and Newscorps ownership.

If the NRL struggle as one of the big two Winter Sports with all of the TV revenue and SOO being the most watched product on TV every year......

How do small SL Clubs with small population bases like Cas and Wakey fare? (half of the League in reality)
How many SL Clubs have large City populations to support them or have untapped fans to convert?

Its going to be a tough few years IMO.'"

I do wish people would get their facts right before going into print.
Wakefield is the fifth largest city in the country, 315,000.
Fair enough part of it includes Cas n Feath.
Subtract their populations you are still left with over 200,000.
Wakefield appears a small club because of 30 odd years of mismanagement.
Looking back to their golden years of the sixties crowds of 15000 to over 20000 were the norm.
Under the new Glover led regime they are increasing crowds significantly and do truly have the potential to return to the top tier.

30 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
30 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.11474609375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Planning for next season
reffy
23m
TV Games - Not Hull
mwindass
39m
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
apollosghost
Recent
Tonights game v Giants
Uncle Rico
Recent
Round 16 London Home
Once were Lo
Recent
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
Recent
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
Recent
Accountability
Murphy
Recent
Rate My Takeaway
AgbriggAmble
Recent
Batley Bulldogs H
wrencat1873
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
46s
Other Championship Clubs
REDWHITEANDB
1m
Woeful performance against London
Bobtownrhino
1m
Rate My Takeaway
AgbriggAmble
1m
Surely its all over now for Watson
Jo Jumbuck
1m
The Seagulls v The Panthers
terry silver
1m
TV games not Wire
Smiffy27
1m
Murphy on his way then
Trojan Horse
2m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
2m
Toulouse A
Bull Mania
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Rate My Takeaway
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Woeful performance against London
Bobtownrhino
TODAY
Accountability
Murphy
TODAY
email
orangeman
TODAY
This site is crap
Philbetter
TODAY
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win Over the Broncos
RLFANS News
TODAY
Prettys Girls in your city for night
jackmac452
TODAY
Vegas Baby
Jason65
TODAY
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thriller
RLFANS News
TODAY
Reserves
BigTime
TODAY
Tonights game v Giants
Uncle Rico
TODAY
Free parking
Philth
TODAY
Salford Away Travel Information
LancashireRe
TODAY
Batley next
Kettykat
TODAY
Round 16 London Home
Once were Lo
TODAY
Leeds
the-bearded-
TODAY
Injuries and available cover
walter wall
TODAY
Problems with this Site continued
karetaker
TODAY
3 clubs apply to join League 1
Huddersfield
TODAY
Sadly one less Bronco
nkpom
TODAY
Fan Village
[Gareth]
TODAY
The Seagulls v The Panthers
terry silver
TODAY
Las Vegas 2025 English ladies involved
Huddersfield
TODAY
New halfback signing
Pyrah123
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win O..
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thri..
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
Hull KR Drop Goal Secures Win ..
St Helens Break Fifty As They ..
Leigh Leopards Resurgence Clai..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M 3,511 80,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R18
 FT
Hover 
Sydney
42-12
St.George
 FT
Hover 
Canberra
12-16
Newcastle
     Womens Super League 2024-R7
12:00
Wire W
v
Hudds W
12:00
York V
v
BarrowW
       League One 2024-R14
14:00
Newcastle
v
Workington
14:30
Crusaders
v
Midlands
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R16
15:00
Salford
v
Hull FC
       Championship 2024-R14
Dewsbury
v
Doncaster
Featherstone
v
Whitehaven
Swinton
v
Widnes
Wakefield
v
Batley
York
v
Barrow
       League One 2024-R14
Keighley
v
Rochdale
 Thu 11th Jul
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
10:50
Dolphins
v
Souths
 Fri 12th Jul
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
11:00
Cronulla
v
Wests
     Womens Super League 2024-R8
17:30
WiganW
v
St.HelensW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
20:00
LondonB
v
Castleford
Warrington
v
Leeds
Warrington
v
St.Helens
 Sat 13th Jul
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
Leigh
v
Huddersfield
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sun 7th Jul
SL
Salford-Hull FC
Fri 12th Jul
SL
LondonB-Castleford
SL
Warrington-Leeds
SL
Warrington-St.Helens
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
00:00
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
17:30
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
18:00
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 7th Jul
NRL
LIVE
Sydney42-12St.George
NRL
LIVE
Canberra12-16Newcastle
Sat 6th Jul
NRL 18 Canterbury13-12NZ Warriors
NRL 18 Wests28-40Melbourne
NRL 18 NQL Cowboys20-22Manly
SL 16 Hull KR14-16Catalans
SL 16 Leeds17-16LondonB
CH 14 Toulouse12-12Bradford
WSL2024 7 LeedsW6-16St.HelensW
WSL2024 7 FeatherstoneW0-50WiganW
Fri 5th Jul
NRL 18 Cronulla16-20Gold Coast
NRL 18 Brisbane6-14Penrith
SL 16 St.Helens6-8Castleford
SL 16 Warrington48-0Huddersfield
SL 16 Wigan24-6Leigh
CH 14 Sheffield28-0Halifax
Thu 4th Jul
NRL 18 Parramatta16-32Souths
Sun 30th Jun
CH 13 Barrow0-36Wakefield
CH 13 Dewsbury12-38Bradford
CH 13 Halifax38-18Whitehaven
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 15 427 170 257 26
St.Helens 16 429 170 259 22
Warrington 16 406 213 193 22
Hull KR 16 397 217 180 22
Catalans 16 304 234 70 20
Salford 15 295 288 7 20

Leeds 16 291 286 5 18
Huddersfield 16 298 365 -67 12
Leigh 15 270 250 20 11
Castleford 16 246 435 -189 9
Hull FC 15 198 474 -276 4
LondonB 16 156 615 -459 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 13 486 142 344 26
Sheffield 14 382 217 165 22
Bradford 14 353 230 123 19
Toulouse 13 344 186 158 17
Widnes 13 315 245 70 15
Featherstone 13 330 283 47 12

Batley 13 205 286 -81 12
Doncaster 13 237 325 -88 11
York 14 285 293 -8 10
Whitehaven 13 266 358 -92 10