FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Leeds sign...
69 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach707No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/g24.gif
:Others/g24.gif

Grandad Cross...

Yep, in a like-for-like replacement for the departed talented young Mr Greg Eastwood, Leeds Rhinos have secured the services of old timer - Mr Cross.

Cracking piece of business there....surely Leeds, you must have a youth development squad capable of producing a forward of some class??? And before you attack me, I don't hate Leeds and I sure as hell don't want to hear (or see) a list of names that Leeds have produced in the past - so please don't waste everyone's time with it!

Surely though, can't we start to promote young English lads to these teams instead of signing 30+ yr olds from Australia????

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2711No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2022Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
42170_1280565797.jpg
Rule 1. I am always right. Rule 2. If in any case I appear wrong, refer to rule 1.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_42170.jpg

So to sum up, you wanted to take a dig at Leeds but without any Leeds fans arguing a case back. Excellent post.

RankPostsTeam
International Star15No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I think those criticizing this signing will be eating their words as I've seen a lot of Leeds games this year and an aggressive and commanding prop is just what they need. Cross was on the fringes of the Australia squad two years ago and he has just had a good season, which he would only have to reproduce to be an excellent signing, albeit on a short term basis. When you look at it from the point of view that hopefully we will no longer have to see as much of the pestering turd Ryan Bailey it will be as much a good signing for the whole of rugby league as it will be for Leeds.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman12792
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1506.jpg
[quote:18jc6kzm]I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote:18jc6kzm]Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote="Jamie Jones-Buchanan":18jc6kzm]"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.[/quote:18jc6kzm]:1506.jpg

We have signed plenty of players 30+ that have gone on to be cracking signings. David Furner, Gary Connolly, Marcus Bai - all were excellent acquisitions.

In an ideal world, Leeds would have kept hold of Eastwood. That he was homesick is hardly a fault of Leeds is it?

As for the youth system, sometimes the players just aren't there. It will be a while before we get another crop of youngsters like the one we have just had. Not because Leeds are neglecting their youth system, but because the talent isn't in the system at the present time. There is no such thing as a "production line" of talent.

Cross fits the bill of what we need. A hard hitting metre maker with big game experience. If you want to slag off a club for bringing in foreign talent, you've picked the wrong one.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Leeds have three young British props (Ambler, Amor and Burgess) who are not ready to take over from the front-row thirtysomethings (Peacock, Leuleui, Cross), but who will be spelled and developed over the next couple of years (at least in the cases of Ambler and Amor. Burgess has had opportunities but hasn't improved enough to be a first-teamer, imo, another reason to look abroad in the short-term). Seems a fairly sensible use of resources to me.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12310
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28396_1358365565.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28396.jpg

A good player. He should do well for Leeds.

My only concern would be that Cross, Leuluai and Peacock are all over 30. But if they can be kept fit then Leeds will have a good front row.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach707No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/g24.gif

Please...it is not a dig at Leeds...It highlights a bigger problem in that Australian and proven (old) players are the first option for teams. I only named Leeds because they are the latest and as such first club name I could think of! This is also why I didn't want a long list of players that have been produced in the past...as again, it wasn't solely a dig at the Rhinos.

I find it hard to believe (although as I don't live in Leeds, nor have I seen their academy teams I'll have to believe you) that there aren't atleast 1 or 2 large English 19/20 yr olds coming through that are capable of holding onto a ball and running hard at a defence?! Someone needs to obviously have a word in the ear of the talent spotters/community coaches.

Oh and bigMAL...I fully agree with your last sentence...would love to see the back of Ryan Bailey...the guy is just a thug. Full Stop.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman12792
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1506.jpg
[quote:18jc6kzm]I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote:18jc6kzm]Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote="Jamie Jones-Buchanan":18jc6kzm]"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.[/quote:18jc6kzm]:1506.jpg

Quote: Hear Ye! "I find it hard to believe (although as I don't live in Leeds, nor have I seen their academy teams I'll have to believe you) that there aren't atleast 1 or 2 large English 19/20 yr olds coming through that are capable of holding onto a ball and running hard at a defence?! Someone needs to obviously have a word in the ear of the talent spotters/community coaches. '"

It's not quite as simple as that though is it? There's the mental aspects of the game for a starters. It is not in a player's, Leeds' or England's best interests to throw a player into first team rugby when he clearly isn't ready.

At the end of the day, the primary interest of Brian McClennan is Leeds Rhinos and he will build a team that he believes is best for Leeds Rhinos. If that means bringing in talent from overseas, then that's what he will do. Leeds Rhinos are no different from any other employer from any other industry in that sense.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

i dont disagree with your principle, but i think it is targeted a little incorrectly in this case. Leeds are bringing through young forwards in Ambler, Amor, Burgess, Pitts and Clarkson. Cross is simply to cover for Eastwoods departure giving time for those guys to develop. We are going in to next season with 6 overseas players next year, which isnt too far away from where we want to be.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach4142No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Hear Ye! " I only named Leeds because they are the latest and as such first club name I could think of! '"

I simply do not believe you.

When clubs like Wakefield and Salford are flooding their squads with ageing aussies I cannot understand why Leeds signing a state of origin/NRL premier winner irritates you so much. As someone else stated, ideally Leeds would have loved to have kept Eastwood but they can't.

Are you not bothered that Wigan have signed THREE australians, when one could argue they don't even need them, instead of blooding their academy players?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach707No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/g24.gif

Mark_W....did you read my comment? I said that I'm not aiming this solely at Leeds Rhinos....it is only because when I hit the internet this morning and saw they'd signed Cross that I felt it worth commenting about....hence me saying I only named Leeds because they're the latest team to do it.

I fully agree with your point about Salford et al.... signing many more old Aussies...its that "quick fix" mentality isn't it?!

We don't see the Aussies signing British players to cover gaps in their development...mainly because they have larger squads and numbers of players in their local areas to call upon and develop. But, and on an aside point, many clubs in SL claim to have large supporter numbers and be "rugby league towns/cities"...but don't have players pushing through in order to stop the continuous reliance on Aussie imports.

I was under the impression that promotion and relegation were the main cause of this...as teams panic brought in order to maintain their SL status. Now this changed (ever so slightly) and teams are finally giving youth and English players a chance...which is why the England 4Nations squad looks so different to previous ones...

Still I guess we're not all going to agree....my personal preference for an ideal "target" in the coming couple of years would be to have as many Aussies in SL as there are Brits in the NRL. Then, maybe we'll have a depth of player pool that will allow us to actually and regularly challenges the Aussies in competitions. At present, we only beat them on occasion or get close on the score board when they aren't fully focused or playing their hardest.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2912No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Jan 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25057_1281800333.jpeg
www.hullrockers.co.uk:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25057.jpeg

Quote: SmokeyTA "i dont disagree with your principle, but i think it is targeted a little incorrectly in this case. Leeds are bringing through young forwards in Ambler, Amor, Burgess, Pitts and Clarkson. Cross is simply to cover for Eastwoods departure giving time for those guys to develop. We are going in to next season with 6 overseas players next year, which isnt too far away from where we want to be.'"

I take it that is an admission that developing youth takes time and it would be both detrimental to the development of young players and the performance of the club to throw them in a regular SL place too early. Further, if even Leeds have to make this kind of signing, it's not surprising that other less well established clubs might have to adopt a more extreme approach until they are in a position to make signings of this calibre.

For what it's worth, he is probably the kind of player needed to bolster a pack that this year has been nowhere near the force of previous seasons.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2471No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2019May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[url=http://www.TopCashBack.co.uk/ref/enicomb:280mm7qy][img:280mm7qy]http://www.topcashback.co.uk/images/banners/468x60.gif[/img:280mm7qy][/url:280mm7qy]:

Quote: Mark_W "I simply do not believe you.

When clubs like Wakefield and Salford are flooding their squads with ageing aussies I cannot understand why Leeds signing a state of origin/NRL premier winner irritates you so much. As someone else stated, ideally Leeds would have loved to have kept Eastwood but they can't.

Are you not bothered that Wigan have signed THREE australians, when one could argue they don't even need them, instead of blooding their academy players?'"

Are you really that thick?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Hear Ye! "

We don't see the Aussies signing British players to cover gaps in their development...mainly because they have larger squads and numbers of players in their local areas to call upon and develop. But, and on an aside point, many clubs in SL claim to have large supporter numbers and be "rugby league towns/cities"...but don't have players pushing through in order to stop the continuous reliance on Aussie imports.
'"

there are two main reasons for this IMO.

firstly the effort put in by some clubs to youth development is pretty poop. Australian Clubs dont have props in reserve ready to step up, like here they move around and 'fill in the gaps'. Now whereas when Newcastle need a couple of Props they can look to a team in the NRL who are 'prop heavy' and pick up a prop to replace Cross. In England there are so few clubs producing most of the quality youngsters that when Leeds dont immediately have a prop to step up, there isnt the pool that they can keep dipping into. There are some good british players out there to sign but Leeds are already bringing through 3 or 4 of them.

secondly, the reserve levels and lower leagues that we have, arent good enough to prepare enough of our players well enough. A club needs to make a concious decision to develop a young player, they need to take an experienced player and replace him with a young player just to expose him to a decent level of competition. If clubs dont make this concious decision then the player stagnates and generally never fulfils their potential.

An example i would use to highlight this is Kallum Watkins. Physically this guy has all the attributes he needs to reach the very very top. Skill-wise he has fantastic handling skills and i truly believe he has the potential to be a world class centre, up there with anyone. However right now, he still has deficiencies in his game in positioning, defence, and knowing when to put his winger away. In Australia he would be playing in a good quality competition where these deficiencies would be highlighted, but he wouldnt lose his place in the side and be given a chance to rectify them.

i dont think it is any coincidence that at youth level we can compete equally with the aussies and have done for a long while. It is at first grade level we struggle and it seems to be that time-frame where we introduce youngsters into first-grade where we seem to fall down.

Quote: Hear Ye! "I was under the impression that promotion and relegation were the main cause of this...as teams panic brought in order to maintain their SL status. Now this changed (ever so slightly) and teams are finally giving youth and English players a chance...which is why the England 4Nations squad looks so different to previous ones...'"
its nto much better is it?

Quote: Hear Ye! "Still I guess we're not all going to agree....my personal preference for an ideal "target" in the coming couple of years would be to have as many Aussies in SL as there are Brits in the NRL. Then, maybe we'll have a depth of player pool that will allow us to actually and regularly challenges the Aussies in competitions. At present, we only beat them on occasion or get close on the score board when they aren't fully focused or playing their hardest.'"
i dont think that is necessarily what is needed. I think if we look at having a maximum of 5 overseas players in total in each side and 1 each side in the championships and we look and work on that period between youth and firstgrade and try and bridge that gap through better links with the championships, making it a proving ground, then the game as a whole will increase.

Another thing we need to as a game is focus on bringing in youngsters, and making them the best they can be, rather than looking to Australia.

In Aus the best athletes choose RL, here we dont have that, so we need to choose the best athletes. Look to wrestlers, sprinters, basketball players, union players etc, at 14/15/16 and bring them into the game, train them and i think we will be fine.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach4142No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Enicomb "Are you really that thick?'"

Excuse me? icon_confused.gif

69 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
69 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.17822265625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
morleys_deck
3m
Sam Burgess
morleys_deck
3m