FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > You can tackle the player in the air!!!
81 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11032No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
939.gif
[color=#800000:2lx59zd0]FARTOWN FOREVER[/color:2lx59zd0] [color=#800000:2lx59zd0]FARTOWN LEGENDS - Danny, Eorl, Reilly, Stan and Wally[/color:2lx59zd0]:939.gif

Brown got there before the Hull KR player. The Hull KR player is not entitled to tackle Brown until he collects the ball. I know why the Hull KR player went for broke, but it was against the rules, unfortunately Silverwood thought differently. Hodgson should have had a penalty try, that was the most blatant professional you are likely to see.

Would be interested to hear from Silverwood why he made the decisions he made.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach387No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2012Mar 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

blah blah blah deal with it its a draw all though we was the better team but a point is better than nothing so stop moaning c015.gif c015.gif c015.gif c015.gif c015.gif c015.gif c015.gif c015.gif c015.gif c015.gif c015.gif c015.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9043
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2023Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

HULL KINGSTON ROVERS is my religion, Craven Park is my church and Jordan Abdull is my God:

Perfectly formed scrum I see? No need to reset that then icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4389No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2019Dec 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45452.jpg
[i:2v2cei1t]'You put your Wendell in, You take your Brownie out, You put your Bennett in, And you make it to the 8, You do the Oki Chokie, And you get knocked out, Thats what St George are about' [/i:2v2cei1t] [quote="dally messenger":2v2cei1t]parra had no ball and still looked like scoring all the time[/quote:2v2cei1t] [quote="The Chief":2v2cei1t]What a knob Barrie MacKenzie is.[/quote:2v2cei1t] [quote="gutterfax":2v2cei1t]I like Bazza. He chose the name of a cross dressing Austalian institutions other persona.....and is your typical Aussie w@nker living in London whilst he tries to get some culture by visiting Prague to get pi55ed on Cheap Star, getting a fondle from a dodgy hooker in amsterdam and eating a snail for a bet when in paris. All of these things will make him a cultural icon when his visa runs out and he is sent the way of his great grandparents....alas, not in chains this time.[/quote:2v2cei1t] NEW COMPETITION COMING SOON!! YOU COULD BE THE NEXT BARRY McKENZIE!! WATCH THIS SPACE!! Barry McKenzie can be contacted at aussielegendbaz@gmail.com:45452.jpg

Quote: hullkrforever "blah blah blah deal with it its a draw all though we was the better team but a point is better than nothing so stop moaning

A classic example of where Golden Point extra time would of been ideal methinks.

I seem to recall a thread about that on here???

icon_mrgreen.gif

Vote 'Yes'

You know Barry McKenzie makes sense.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2490
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2022Aug 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Barry_McKenzie "A classic example of where Golden Point extra time would of been ideal methinks.

I seem to recall a thread about that on here???

No No No & No again if you cant win in 80 minutes then why should yiou get an extra go? why should any team get 90 minutes to get 2 points & in theory catch up to a play off place when pherhaps the team above beat them in 80.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4389No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2019Dec 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45452.jpg
[i:2v2cei1t]'You put your Wendell in, You take your Brownie out, You put your Bennett in, And you make it to the 8, You do the Oki Chokie, And you get knocked out, Thats what St George are about' [/i:2v2cei1t] [quote="dally messenger":2v2cei1t]parra had no ball and still looked like scoring all the time[/quote:2v2cei1t] [quote="The Chief":2v2cei1t]What a knob Barrie MacKenzie is.[/quote:2v2cei1t] [quote="gutterfax":2v2cei1t]I like Bazza. He chose the name of a cross dressing Austalian institutions other persona.....and is your typical Aussie w@nker living in London whilst he tries to get some culture by visiting Prague to get pi55ed on Cheap Star, getting a fondle from a dodgy hooker in amsterdam and eating a snail for a bet when in paris. All of these things will make him a cultural icon when his visa runs out and he is sent the way of his great grandparents....alas, not in chains this time.[/quote:2v2cei1t] NEW COMPETITION COMING SOON!! YOU COULD BE THE NEXT BARRY McKENZIE!! WATCH THIS SPACE!! Barry McKenzie can be contacted at aussielegendbaz@gmail.com:45452.jpg

Quote: Beverley red "No No No & No again if you cant win in 80 minutes then why should yiou get an extra go? why should any team get 90 minutes to get 2 points & in theory catch up to a play off place when pherhaps the team above beat them in 80.'"

I think having golden point ET is a fantastic idea and you should embrace it with open arms.

It's the future of Superleague.

I reckon it will be introduced by 2012 and if it isn't then my name isn't Barrington Balgowlah Barangaroo Berowra Bewdy Bonza McKenzie.

Actually that isn't my name... but you get the picture.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1271.jpg
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain Build Bridges NOT Walls:1271.jpg

Quote: Richie "There were other options.
Jump and compete for the ball.
Tackle him once he landed.

I remember a few years ago in a test match when Robbie Paul tackled Keith Senior in the air as Senior caught a kick in the Kiwis in-goal area. It wasn't given as a penalty try, but everyone apart from the ref seemed to think it should have been.'"

I remember that incident very clearly. I think it was the first season the ruling came in in the UK, though I'm far from sure just when it came in the international rules.

RankPostsTeam
International Star65No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2011Jan 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51565_1280492574.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51565.jpg

Quote: Fully "Don't penalty tries have to offences committed in the act of scoring, of which, neither were?

Hull KR got away with Cockayne (?) pulling back Brown when he was chasing the ball near to the tryline. Eddie thought that "Brown [had] been pushed". Should have been a penalty either way.'"

Nope. You're thinking of the so-called eight-point try. i.e a penalty awarded in front of the sticks, to be taken after the conversion attempt.

That may be awarded only when a player is touching down & not afterwards.

RankPostsTeam
International Star65No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2011Jan 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51565_1280492574.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51565.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "its a problem with the rules rather than the ruling in my opinion.

Hodgeson was almost certain to score, almost being the important word. He wasnt certain to score so a penalty try cannot be given,'"

Why do you think 'certain' should come into it? The test is: if in the referee's opinion a try would have been scored but for the infringement. Certainly is nice but not necessary.

The probable reason so few penalty tries are awarded in ESL (and NRL) is that the refs are told by their controllers NOT to award them unless certain. In other words, told to ignore the laws of the game.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7343
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10025.jpg
For contributions, remittances, payments, and all other matters of any responsibility, please refer to someone else. “The British people love a good hero and a good hate” Lord Northcliffe:10025.jpg

Quote: Cronus "

Let me spell it out. If you remove Fox from the situation, the hugely massively overwhelming probability, pretty much a guarantee, is that Hodgson - with the ball safely in his hands and travelling over the line in a safe direction - will score. Fox tackles him ILLEGALLY and Hodgson ONLY fails to land cleanly or ground the ball due to Fox tackling him IN THE AIR and pushing him into touch. Without Fox, none of that would have happened.
'"

The problem is you cannot pretend that Fox doesn't exist at all simply because his actual action was illegal, I cannot see any interpretation of the laws which leads to that, the presumption has to be: if Fox had timed his tackle a second later, giving time for one of Hodgson's feet to touch the ground, is it possible he may still have pushed Hodgson into touch?

Removing the illegal action does not mean the player in question ceases to exist, that would be silly. Now given how close Fox was, it is entirely possible he could still have pushed Hodgson in to touch before he grounded the ball, had he waited one or two seconds longer, therefore I think penalty attack was an entirely reasonable decision.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1210No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2015Feb 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

This is why events unnerve me.:

Quote: Kelvin's Ferret "The problem is you cannot pretend that Fox doesn't exist at all simply because his actual action was illegal.'"

That's nonsense if you don't mind me saying so.

Imagine an attacker cantering towards the sticks for a try. Out of his eyeline a defender has sprinted back but instead of tackling the man he chooses to stiff arm his opponent who falls unconscious to the ground a yard from the goal line, losing the ball in the process.

Should the referee merely award a penalty attack on the basis that a legal tackle could have prevented a try?

The judgement is made on what a player does, not on what he might have done.

As for "certainty" or "the act of scoring" there's no such wording in the rules. In theory a referee could award a penalty try based on an illegal act on halfway if, in his opinion, a score would otherwise have resulted.

[i"the Referee may award a penalty try if, in his opinion, a try would have been scored but for the
unfair play of the defending team."[/i

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

It is, though, one of many areas where the laws could do with a substantial revision. If player A is in the act of scoring, but before the ball touches down Player B kicks him in the head him and knocks him out so the ball is dropped, a penaly try will be awarded. But if he kicks him half a second later, after the try has been scored, the ref has an option of an eight point try. What's the difference?

In the case in question, even with the illegal tackle, Fox only just hit the corner flag first. So yes, it is true that he would certainly have scored if not for the tackle.

The problem with this particular rule and these particular interpretations is this: if a player dives for a kick and catches the ball, so that the very first thing which is going to touch the ground is the ball, this interpretation makes him literally immune form being legally tackled. He can't be tackled whilst diving (he hasn't got the ball); he can't be tackled on catching it (he's off the ground). A defender could only try to place himself in such a way as to prevent a touchdown. There is no way he could legally touch the diving player whilst still in the air. And in my opinion that is a ridiculous result.

The coaches on Sky said they thought the attacking player can be tackled in the air. Can he or can't he? Another ridiculous thing is that the RFL in general, and the refs controller in particular, nowadays never ever go public in clearing up these interpretations.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4389No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2019Dec 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45452.jpg

Quote: Ferocious Aardvark " If player A is in the act of scoring, but before the ball touches down Player B kicks him in the head him and knocks him out so the ball is dropped, a penaly try will be awarded. But if he kicks him half a second later, after the try has been scored, the ref has an option of an eight point try. What's the difference?'"

4 points

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5035No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2021Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44747_1304271884.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44747.png

Quote: Barry_McKenzie "4 points'"

2, possibly 4, it depends on if the kicker gets both conversions or not (and would he have missed the original kick)

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4389No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2019Dec 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45452.jpg

Quote: Gaslight "2, possibly 4, it depends on if the kicker gets both conversions or not (and would he have missed the original kick)'"

I was naturally assuming player 'A' crashed over right underneath the posts and the goal kicker had kicked 2 from 2 already, the conditions were dry and there was no wind

81 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
81 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

1.9697265625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Kicking Game
Wires71
Recent
Prediction Competition Week 21 plus rearranged game
FoxyRhino
Recent
Film game
karetaker
Recent
Shopping list for 2025
Irregular Ho
Recent
Betting 2024
karetaker
Recent
Round 20 Salford away 3/8/24
Exeter Rhino
Recent
Ellis Lingard
Trojan Horse
Recent
Leigh h pt 2
MattyB
Recent
Dons v Toulouse Saturday 10/8/24
Double Movem
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Recruitment rumours and links
easyWire
3m
Ellis Lingard
Trojan Horse
4m
Dewsbury away
PopTart
5m
Leigh h pt 2
MattyB
6m
This weeks disciplinary
karetaker
6m
Arthur In
chapylad
7m
Lockie Lam
Blackandwhit
7m
Barrow A
Bully_Boxer
8m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
scarrie
9m
Round 20 Salford away 3/8/24
Exeter Rhino
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Ellis Lingard
Trojan Horse
TODAY
Myler Ellis
Blackandwhit
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Borough Bonus
Old Man John
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition London Away
Old Man John
TODAY
Kicking Game
Wires71
TODAY
London Broncos Victorious Over Off-Colour Catalans Dragons
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squads - Warriors v Leopards
LeythIg
TODAY
Lockie Lam
Blackandwhit
TODAY
Leigh h pt 2
MattyB
TODAY
Weve never had it so good
MjM
TODAY
Leigh Away
Chris71
TODAY
Dual Reg & Loans The Rules Explained
faxcar
TODAY
Salford Win the Mid Table Battle Over The Rhinos
RLFANS News
TODAY
Saints Back To Winning Ways With Big Win Over Hull FC
RLFANS News
TODAY
Hull KR Top of the League With Stunning Win Over Warrington
RLFANS News
TODAY
York at home
WT_Midlander
TODAY
cats
BigTime
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
Lord Tony Sm
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
London Broncos Victorious Over..
Salford Win the Mid Table Batt..
Saints Back To Winning Ways Wi..
Hull KR Top of the League With..
Wakefield Trinity Back to Winn..
Catalans Dragons Defeat Hull F..
Salford Move Closer To Play Of..
Warrington Wolves Humiliate Wi..
Bill Arthur Rest In Peace..
Rhinos Comfortably Win Scrappy..
Battling Tigers Beat The Drago..
Hull KR Defeat Leeds In Headin..
Twelve Man Warrington Stun Sai..
2024 State of Origin - Game 3 ..
Wakefield March On With Win Ov..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.61M 2,727 ↑7280,09314,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R2
20:00
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Thu 8th Aug
     National Rugby League 2024-R23
10:50
Souths
v
Melbourne
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R21
St.Helens
v
Salford
 Fri 9th Aug
09:00
Gold Coast
v
Cronulla
11:00
Parramatta
v
Penrith
     Womens Super League 2024-R11
17:30
LeedsW
v
WiganW
Huddersfield
v
Catalans
Hull KR
v
Castleford
       Championship 2024-R21
Wakefield
v
Sheffield
 Sat 10th Aug
06:00
Canberra
v
Manly
08:30
NQL Cowboys
v
Brisbane
10:35
St.George
v
Canterbury
12:00
St.HelensW
v
FeatherstoneW
       League One 2024-R19
13:00
Cornwall
v
Hunslet
14:00
BarrowW
v
Wire W
15:00
Leeds
v
Wigan
       Championship 2024-R21
18:00
Doncaster
v
Toulouse
 Sun 11th Aug
05:00
Dolphins
v
NZ Warriors
07:05
Newcastle
v
Wests
12:00
York V
v
Hudds W
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Thu 8th Aug
SL
St.Helens-Salford
Fri 9th Aug
SL
Huddersfield-Catalans
SL
Hull KR-Castleford
Sat 10th Aug
SL
Leeds-Wigan
Sun 11th Aug
SL
Leigh-Hull FC
SL
LondonB-Warrington
Sat 17th Aug
SL
19:30
Warrington-Leeds
SL
17:00
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
14:30
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:30
Leigh-Salford
SL
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:30
Huddersfield-Castleford
Fri 23rd Aug
SL
Castleford-Warrington
SL
Leeds-Catalans
Sat 24th Aug
SL
St.Helens-Hull KR
SL
14:00
Salford-Huddersfield
Sun 25th Aug
SL
LondonB-Leigh
SL
Wigan-Hull FC
Fri 30th Aug
SL
Hull KR-Salford
SL
Leigh-Warrington
Sun 4th Aug
SL 20 LondonB12-10Catalans
WSL2024 10 FeatherstoneW6-68LeedsW
WSL2024 10 BarrowW6-64St.HelensW
WSL2024 10 Wire W0-61York V
WSL2024 10 WiganW70-0Hudds W
L1 18 Keighley72-12Newcastle
L1 18 Oldham32-0Midlands
L1 18 Rochdale46-32Cornwall
L1 18 Workington24-28Crusaders
CH 20 Barrow24-24Bradford
CH 20 Dewsbury16-42Wakefield
CH 20 Featherstone24-16Batley
CH 20 Halifax38-18York
CH 20 Sheffield22-20Doncaster
CH 20 Whitehaven12-24Widnes
NRL 22 Penrith22-14Newcastle
NRL 22 Canterbury22-18Canberra
Sat 3rd Aug
SL 20 Hull FC6-46St.Helens
SL 20 Salford22-16Leeds
CH 20 Swinton4-48Toulouse
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Hull KR 20 503 259 244 30
Wigan 19 495 258 237 30
Warrington 20 502 267 235 28
Salford 20 377 382 -5 26
St.Helens 20 501 262 239 24
Catalans 20 376 286 90 24

Leeds 20 371 364 7 20
Leigh 19 392 286 106 19
Huddersfield 20 350 453 -103 14
Castleford 20 336 523 -187 13
Hull FC 20 274 612 -338 6
LondonB 20 210 735 -525 4
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 18 626 222 404 34
Sheffield 18 510 303 207 26
Toulouse 17 516 224 292 25
Widnes 18 434 319 115 23
Bradford 18 421 321 100 22
Featherstone 18 464 375 89 18

Doncaster 18 338 432 -94 17
York 19 446 383 63 16
Batley 18 300 390 -90 16
Halifax 18 356 477 -121 14