FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > How Much Did The RFL Know About Crusaders Problems?
20 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner2874No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8762_1295775855.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_8762.jpg

The owners of Crusaders have made a statement saying that they have made a loss of £500k in the last 6 months. So, they come out of administration relatively debt free in January and 6 months later are posting huge (for the size of business) losses. Just shows how bad things really were and how they were never ever in a position to sustain themselves at anytime in SL.....

www.wrexhamafc.co.uk/page/NewsDe ... 50,00.html
The owners of Crusaders have made a statement saying that they have made a loss of £500k in the last 6 months. So, they come out of administration relatively debt free in January and 6 months later are posting huge (for the size of business) losses. Just shows how bad things really were and how they were never ever in a position to sustain themselves at anytime in SL.....

www.wrexhamafc.co.uk/page/NewsDe ... 50,00.html

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach9461
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13050.gif
[b:112mouem][color=#0000FF:112mouem][size=100:112mouem] "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."― Albert Einstein[/size:112mouem] [/color:112mouem][/b:112mouem] [b:112mouem][color=#0000FF:112mouem][size=100:112mouem] "Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense." ― Gertrude Stein[/size:112mouem][/color:112mouem][/b:112mouem] [b:112mouem][color=#0000FF:112mouem][size=100:112mouem] "Don't believe everything you read on the internet" ― Abraham Lincoln [/size:112mouem][/color:112mouem][/b:112mouem]:13050.gif

Quote: Derwent "The owners of Crusaders have made a statement saying that they have made a loss of £500k in the last 6 months. So, they come out of administration relatively debt free in January and 6 months later are posting huge (for the size of business) losses. Just shows how bad things really were and how they were never ever in a position to sustain themselves at anytime in SL.....

If that is true then the RFL really need taking to task for what has gone in. Pushing and pushing them was never going to be the aswer but Big Nige and Dickie had a vision.

GSF
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach997No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32929.jpg
:32929.jpg

Sean Maguire,ex Saints,gave an excellent interview on Radio Merseyside last night in which he lambasted the RL and their attempts at expansion into Wales.Here,about 16 and a half minutes in.
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00j1w11
Sean Maguire,ex Saints,gave an excellent interview on Radio Merseyside last night in which he lambasted the RL and their attempts at expansion into Wales.Here,about 16 and a half minutes in.
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00j1w11

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach280No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2016Aug 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The Crusaders have had two of the best con men in the business.

Moss and Roberts are crooks. They managed to lose 0.5 million this year, even though the sky money is well in excess of a million. Someone tell me how thats possible.

Samuel is well known for his abilities to hide money. He wrote off all the debts of his business on the crusaders. hence the massive debt they had. Guy is the biggest crook in the world.

I bet the RFL had no idea.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3828
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18686.jpg
Heath, Wilson, Callaghan, Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron, May & BORIS (W.T.F.) It's Johnson!:18686.jpg

Many posters on here, the ones with a tiny sense of business acumen, could see what was going to happen.

There were a few posters in the opposite camp claiming things were sweet. Unfortunately, the RFL were of the same mind.

The powers that be at Red Hall must take full responsibility for this fiasco, if the Crusaders hadn’t sent their Dear John letter, they would have been in, and it’s scandalous.

There are people working for the RFL on relatively very good salaries, they’ve also brought in independent ‘experts’, yet, only the Crusaders withdrawal from the process has forced their hand.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

The RFL are not in place to micro-manage member clubs.

If clubs are breaking employment/immigration law, that's their lookout.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: Andy Gilder "The RFL are not in place to micro-manage member clubs.

If clubs are breaking employment/immigration law, that's their lookout.'"

Utter bollox , if they're paying for it , and they were , then they should have been making sure things were being done properly

The RFL knew all about the VISA issue , they colouded with Samuels to fast track the CC trhrough to SL

I see the much commented on inquiry never happened , did it ?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach35No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2015Aug 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: GSF "Sean Maguire,ex Saints,gave an excellent interview on Radio Merseyside last night in which he lambasted the RL and their attempts at expansion into Wales.Here,about 16 and a half minutes in.

Here's a piece McGuire wrote on July 24 2008, just after the first round of licences were given out. Prescient I think:

THE choice of the 14 clubs to have three-year licences for Super League is damning evidence of the hubris of the sport's bosses and their inability to either act as competent administrators or far-sighted, strategic planners.
It is the first time that a UK sporting body has determined the membership of its elite competition on the basis of an application for a licence rather than on-field performance.
The 12 existing Super League clubs all got a licence, and from the seven other applicants, Salford and Celtic Crusaders were chosen to enter the competition.
It was a genuine shock, to me and thousands of Widnes fans, when it was announced that Celtic Crusaders had been admitted ahead of the Cheshire club.
Widnes Vikings were, by some distance, the best-placed club outside Super League (and ahead of some clubs playing in the top division) to meet the criteria and join the newly-enlarged Super League.
The Rugby Football League judged the suitability of the 19 applicants against a number of published criteria; these included pretty obvious things like playing strength, junior development, financial stability, marketing and stadium facilities.
I feel deeply sorry for Widnes.
They have a superb stadium, a great heritage, a famous conveyor belt of good young players, a strong management, a committed and wealthy owner and an established fan base which could be grown.
Celtic Crusaders play in a very poor quality stadium, they are only three years old, their team is full of Aussies and Kiwis, their fan base is small and, I suspect, pretty fickle, and their owner was once a committed rugby union man, who switched his allegiance after a row with the WRU.
How that set-up can better Widnes simply baffles me.
And of course it doesn't, but the explanation for why the Bridgend-based club are in and Widnes are out lies in the history of rugby league in England.
Since it was established in 1895 rugby league has been locked into its original territories in Lancashire, Cumbria and Yorkshire.
It is the holy grail of rugby league to expand to have a genuinely national competition and in the pursuit of that ambition a founding club of the northern union, Widnes, will just have to lump it and wait another three years while the untried, untested Celtic Crusaders waltz into Super League after three years playing in the lower levels of the game.
The correct strategy for the future of the great game of rugby league was to grant Widnes a licence, and to compliment the Crusaders on their progress and to encourage them to continue to grow over the next three years and then apply again for the next three-year licences for 2012-14.
I just hope that one of the grand old clubs of the game can survive and prosper in the next three years in the national leagues before assuming its rightful place once again amongst the rugby league elite, which it graced for so long with such distinction.
The decision to take a gamble on a team in Wales - a gamble that has been tried without success several times before - is more inexplicable in the light of the very severe problems in the economy.
But I doubt very much whether the RFL altered their criteria for membership of the Super League to adapt to the changing conditions.
Any business manager will say that in tough times investments should be made in strong areas and you seek to sustain your business where you have established, loyal customers who value your brand.
Since the new owner (with very significant resources) rescued Widnes from administration, the general view was that the final barrier to their membership of the Super League had been removed, and the RFL would have the opportunity to reinforce and rebuild its valuable Widnes franchise under a new and strong management team.
To spurn that in favour of a speculative foray into south Wales is a very risky strategy in good times but in these much more difficult times it could prove to be astonishingly unwise and based on a false premise.

GSF
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach997No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32929.jpg
:32929.jpg

The man talks sense Frank,something which seems to lacking at the RL.I said myself at the time in 2008 that Crusaders should have been commended on their efforts so far and told to continue with their work and reapply in three years time.It was the obvious thing to do,And if they were not around in three years then tough.But being a Widnes fan meant that I had a vested interest and couldn't possibly make an impartial observation.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: GSF "The man talks sense Frank,something which seems to lacking at the RL.I said myself at the time in 2008 that Crusaders should have been commended on their efforts so far and told to continue with their work and reapply in three years time.It was the obvious thing to do,And if they were not around in three years then tough.But being a Widnes fan meant that I had a vested interest and couldn't possibly make an impartial observation.'"

Yes we all had it thrown back at us didn't we , but strangly as the song goes

" It's all gone quiet over there ! " icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman4799No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2021Apr 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Zoot.gif
Freedom for supporters of the government, only for members of one party - however numerous they may be - is no freedom at all. freedom is always and exclusively for one who thinks differently. Rosa Luxemburg, 'Die russiche Revolution'.:Black Backgrounds/Zoot.gif

If the reports of Crusaders' annual loss are about right, it wouldn't seem to be much different to the amount that David Hughes puts into Quins.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3830No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50836_1298143372.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50836.jpg

Quote: The Chronicler of Chiswic "If the reports of Crusaders' annual loss are about right, it wouldn't seem to be much different to the amount that David Hughes puts into Quins.'"

The difference being that Hughes is happy to loose 2 million a year whereas Moss and Roberts were not.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman4799No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2021Apr 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Zoot.gif
Freedom for supporters of the government, only for members of one party - however numerous they may be - is no freedom at all. freedom is always and exclusively for one who thinks differently. Rosa Luxemburg, 'Die russiche Revolution'.:Black Backgrounds/Zoot.gif

Quote: altofts wildcat "The difference being that Hughes is happy to loose 2 million a year whereas Moss and Roberts were not.'"

True, but I was more thinking in terms of club finances in general. From what I can make out, any club with average gates much under 7k can't afford to be full time on its own resources.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6293
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
31007_1580947500.jpg
EVENTUALLY, WE'LL WIN SOMETHING, ,MAYBE, IF I'M STILL ALIVE THEN:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_31007.jpg

Quote: The Chronicler of Chiswic "True, but I was more thinking in terms of club finances in general. From what I can make out, any club with average gates much under 7k can't afford to be full time on its own resources.'"

Or certainly not competitive.

My recollection from when Crusaders went to Wrexham was that the new owners stated publicly that they were in it to make money for the football team. Perhaps things have changed slightly, but ultimately, they were in it for the profit. Some owners, like Ken Davey, are in it for the love, and that's why it works there, and at Hull KR. I'm not sure where AG fits at Wakefield. Probably somewhere in the middle. I think he wants to make the club self-sufficient, or as near as damn it, but sees the club as a bit of a sleeping giant. To some extent, I think he's right, as the fans will turn out in great numbers when it suits, but the good patches are not long enough to sustain it.

Moss and Roberts, however, were merely speculating with no historical evidence to back it up. Most people on here said it wouldn't work, but those who did were denounced as flat-cappers. Well, tug that plaid peak, because they were right.

The main problem is the disparity between the wealth and support of the bigger clubs, like Wigan, and those nearer the bottom, but equally Wigan shouldn't be penalised for their success. Achieving that balance between allowing clubs to build on and obtain a reward for their success without making other clubs go bust is a tricky one. The sugar daddys stop it being a permanent one-horse race.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach14082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9857_1341488583.jpg
WEST COAST PIRATES NRL expansion? Sometime soon, maybe......:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9857.jpg

Maybe they need to bring the salary cap down to a level that is sustainable for all clubs? In the NRL they are working towards the salary cap and the grant being equal. Maybe the RFL needs to do the same?

As said anything under 7K is going to leave a hole, throw in a lack of corporate support and that hole becomes much larger. Until the RFL can afford to give any new expansion team double the normal grant they should stop being deluded that RL is a big enough sport to plonk teams in non heartland areas and expect them to be sustainable at a SL level.

20 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
20 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.09765625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Todays match v Saints
just_browny
19m
Salford H
Dave K.
22m