JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons1949_files/4193-180guyguyme2003-msnicons.gif
The fans, the members, the people there.. from the day I stepped foot onto that field at the AJ Bell Stadium,I knew I would love that club for the rest of my life. "Jackson Hastings".. Worry a little bit every day and in a lifetime you will lose a couple of years. If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry. Worry never fixes anything. Mary Hemmingway, US journalist,widow of Ernest Hemmingway (1908-1986) The Stupid Neither Forgive Nor Forget The Naive Forgive And Forget The Wise Forgive But Don't Forget "I am not young enough to know everything" Oscar Wilde Irish Playwright (1854-1900) One likes people much better when they're battered down by a prodigious siege of misfortune than when they triumph. virginia woolf (1882-1941):icons1949_files/4193-180guyguyme2003-msnicons.gif

Quote: Call Me God "As I have repeatedly said, I am suspicious of everything Toronto "claim", especially the 7k gates, but the reality is that even if they are getting only 5k....or 4k.....they are still doing it from a standing start and getting more than clubs like Wakefield.
The debate isn't about the size of Toronto's crowds....but the relevance of away fans when trying to argue against them. There seems to be a belief that more games between local rivals is the answer to RL's woes......it really isn't. What we need is to test the water with Toronto and whilst it's not at our expense, let them crack on, but if (as I suspect) they fail, then no worries.....we tried and it didn't work and it didn't cost us anything.....if a club folds either inside or outside SL it is a sad day, but the game is bigger than any club.

As it says in my signature....there are many reasons to not want expansion, but away fans isn't one of them and that is the topic of this thread.'"

OK maybe just stick to the crowd you believe it to be then rather than making the example look better in this particular argument.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Call Me God "As I have repeatedly said, I am suspicious of everything Toronto "claim", especially the 7k gates, but the reality is that even if they are getting only 5k....or 4k.....they are still doing it from a standing start and getting more than clubs like Wakefield.
The debate isn't about the size of Toronto's crowds....but the relevance of away fans when trying to argue against them. There seems to be a belief that more games between local rivals is the answer to RL's woes......it really isn't. What we need is to test the water with Toronto and whilst it's not at our expense, let them crack on, but if (as I suspect) they fail, then no worries.....we tried and it didn't work and it didn't cost us anything.....if a club folds either inside or outside SL it is a sad day, but the game is bigger than any club.

As it says in my signature....there are many reasons to not want expansion, but away fans isn't one of them and that is the topic of this thread.'"

Your still hiding from the questions that I asked regarding poor ticket uptake for the double header and the effect on attendances at RL events, where the expansion clubs compete.
I've fully understood the money argument that you have put forward and 10/10 for throwing in the Catalan attendance at Wembley to counter my previous comments and thank you also for trying to point out how the Catalan attendances for their games in the UK "are close to the average", although you utterly failed to mention that this was largely due to promotions by many clubs to try and show a "reasonable" attendance.
However, with regards away fans at games, it's not just about pound notes, or total attendance.
Without reasonable numbers of away fans, the matches become stale and lacking in atmosphere and I know this doesn't matter on the balance sheet but, in the long term this will perpetuate the decline in numbers wishing to attend.
Of course, you still get to see the game and admire the skills on display but, match days should be about more than just numbers on the balance sheet.
It's no coincidence that the great derby games attract the most interest within the game and when the competing sides are both on form, we all enjoy the game, whether shown on TV or, whether we attend in person.
There is a "massive" drive towards the corporate side of things, with added value tickets/ packages but, although these contribute really well on the balance sheet, you still need the passionate "regular" fans to help bring the games to life.
If not, we end up with a sanitised sport, purely for the benefit of the TV companies and the sport itself becomes lost.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2794
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
70807_1599340376.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_70807.jpg

Quote: JEAN CAPDOUZE "I think that expansion has that drawback of fewer away fans. But that hasn't harmed the NRL. Melbourne Storm, and North Queensland have done very nicely with their own fans dominating their home games.

These fans would have to fly to an away game,.not get on the Club Coach !

Neutrals get behind the expansion teams for the big events.'"

How many neutrals attend a RL fixture & why would they suddenly support an expansion team over a well known team ? Is it just because YOU WANT THEM TO ?

RankPostsTeam
International Star2794
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
70807_1599340376.jpg

Quote: rollin thunder "This post just stinks if anti expansionism, from a suppoter if a club who jyst about manage an away folliwing in the low hundreds, complaing that otjer sudes only bring fans in similar numbers. And rely on the big city neighbors away support to bump up the average crowds.
I hope Torobto and Toulouse come in and shake it up a bit.'"

Ave u evor bin 2 Skool ?

RankPostsTeam
International Star2794
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
70807_1599340376.jpg

Quote: Call Me God "Are you new to RL? Late discounting is always on offer.......unless there's earlier discounting, like being able to buy next years CC Final tickets almost immediately after the CC Final for a tenner as was the case a couple of years back.

4,568 - Widnes
10,366 - Leeds
10,347 - Hull FC
2,328 - Salford
7,137 - Castleford
6,711 - HKR
9,138 - St Helens
9,121* - Hudds
???? - Wakefield
8,807 - Wire
????? - Wigan

7613 is the average attendance when catalans visit the UK....831 fewer than the entire competition average.....which means that the 9 venues with reported attendances will gave been down a collective £16,000 each in ticket revenues at £20 a ticket......except....Widnes, Salford, Huddersfield, Castleford, Wire and Hull FC have all had LOWER attendances than those reported for Catalans visits......6 from 9.....so again I say......STEP AWAY FROM THE AWAY ATTENDANCE DEBATE.........It's unwinnable for you!'"

So you've based your calculations on incomplete figures, no doubt incomplete because you wanted/needed/desired to massage them !
Which year have you taken your incomplete figures from ?

Is this argument with a Wakey fan "unwinnable" because you want it to be a 'who can shout loudest & longest' game ?

You sunshine are like a third nipple, a bit gross & nobody wants one !

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES????? £20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000. The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover. There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT::d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76030.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "Your still hiding from the questions that I asked regarding poor ticket uptake for the double header and the effect on attendances at RL events, where the expansion clubs compete.'"

No I haven't......I have repeatedly answered it but as the answer wasn't the one you wanted, you repeat the question.......I said earlier.
Quote: wrencat1873 "I have agreed that the inclusion of a foreign side may impact on ticket sales, as is the current heatwave, school holidays and a plethora of other dynamics.'"

Quote: wrencat1873 "you utterly failed to mention that this was largely due to promotions by many clubs to try and show a "reasonable" attendance.[/qote]
No.....well done to those clubs for making the effort........but the reality is marketing in RL is appalling across the board. You think that Pubs have Happy Hours when they are normally busy, or at times when they expect to be quiet? Restaurants do 2-4-1 meals on monday's not Friday nights....discounting is part of business.....blaming catalan is just highlighting your fear of expansion.....it's like claiming your average attendance is 4,370 this year.....but without Castleford it would be 4.......don't drop in random stats that can be turned, it's too easy.

Quote: wrencat1873 "However, with regards away fans at games, it's not just about pound notes, or total attendance.
Without reasonable numbers of away fans, the matches become stale and lacking in atmosphere and I know this doesn't matter on the balance sheet but, in the long term this will perpetuate the decline in numbers wishing to attend.'"

Of course, you still get to see the game and admire the skills on display but, match days should be about more than just numbers on the balance sheet.
It's no coincidence that the great derby games attract the most interest within the game and when the competing sides are both on form, we all enjoy the game, whether shown on TV or, whether we attend in person.
There is a "massive" drive towards the corporate side of things, with added value tickets/ packages but, although these contribute really well on the balance sheet, you still need the passionate "regular" fans to help bring the games to life.
If not, we end up with a sanitised sport, purely for the benefit of the TV companies and the sport itself becomes lost.'"

4,000 home fans at Wakefield meaning 350 or so visitors.......rattling around a decrepit stadium....and you want to talk about atmosphere? Oh the Irony..... icon_lol.gif
Modern PROFESSIONAL sport is about MONEY. The major sports make most of their money from TV and as such, spectators become secondary......be they home or away fans......if RL wants to stay trapped with 6 teams fro either side of the pennines and sod the rest then fine, but don't be shocked when sky don't bother next time and we end up with a pittance of a TV deal.....because Wakefield v Castleford isn't going to interest anyone other than those who already know about the game.........the current capacity at BV is gven as 9,300....was there a bus strike on the day of this years derby......because there were 2,000+ unsold tickets for the "local derby" that you claim is the lifeblood of the sport.

Don't wrap your fear of expansion in some sort of crusade about the impact of Toulouse displacing widnes at Magic weekend......that's the RFL's problem, not Wakefields.....you just fear that your club will be jettisoned in favour of another expansionist franchise.....and I believe you have every right to be afraid

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1999
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35006_1638866888.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35006.jpg

You don't need 10,000+ supporters for an "atmosphere". The Shay was rocking last weekend for the TO game, with less than 2000 in the ground and virtually no TO fans (I didn't see any at all). Add in a few hundred away supporters and then you've got a real "event".

You focus on the money, and I'm more interested in the supporter who turns up week in week out (as will be the case for Leigh on Sunday). Between us we maybe should get it right??!!

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES????? £20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000. The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover. There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT::d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76030.jpg

Quote: Ste100Centurions "So you've based your calculations on incomplete figures, no doubt incomplete because you wanted/needed/desired to massage them !
Which year have you taken your incomplete figures from ?'"

2018.....and they're incomplete because Wigan hadn't hosted Catalan util now and Wakey haven't annunced their gate v Catalan (not that I can find anyway)

Quote: Ste100Centurions "Is this argument with a Wakey fan "unwinnable" because you want it to be a 'who can shout loudest & longest' game ?'"

Nope. It is based purely on mathematics......the SL kitty gives Wakefield £1,800,000.......1 game where Catalan bring no fans costs Wakefield £10,000 at most and the figure bandied about by SL chairmen a few years back was a £4 million turn over to run a club at no loss.....£10,000 shouldn't be a issue to any top flight club.

Quote: Ste100Centurions "You sunshine are like a third nipple, a bit gross & nobody wants one !'"

Bless. When you rattle the cage of a Northern Monkey it throws sh$7 at you......and you my son, have just proven that!

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76960_1533043896.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76960.jpg

The trouble with northerners is that they are so used to mediocrity being so second nature to them, that any outsiders who can see the mediocrity and make a statement are shot down and ridiculed. If some are sooo happy with crowds of 2000 then please, never seek Super League. Be content where you are down there. This is one of the biggest blind spots RL in northern England has! Other parts of the UK don't!! So frustrating.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1852No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20169 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I’ve been reading this debate with interest.

There’s no doubt that if you replace Catalan with either Wigan or Hull then the semi final attendance would be larger. Frankly though Leeds v Warrington should be packing the stadium on their own.

The question we really need to ask is why do we need to have a double header in the first place? The answer for me is that rugby league is going stale and is under funded. We are, in reality a M62 corridor sport plus Catalan which has the beginning of a foothold elsewhere that is yet to be exploited.

Reading through threads like this (an I’m no exception to this) those who argue against expansion are often supporters of clubs perceived to be at risk from a Toronto or Tolouse coming into SL and those in favour often a supporter of a ‘bigger’ side.

For me, for this sport to progress we need new blood, we need a fresh influx of players from new areas and we need the potential money that new markets can introduce to the sport. The key is we exploit those markets which hopefully the new CEO of SL will be able to do.

In truth the development of players and introducing new supporters will take time and we have to allow for this. I say this with genuine regret and empathy for their supporters but if we end up loosing a club with 100+ years of tradition to try and progress the sport then is is a sacrifice worth making as something needs to be done.

Long term, if we can increase revenue there’s no reason we can’t aim to have a thriving 20 team SL, going back to the original point, if that was the case it wouldn’t matter which teams are in the semifinals, we would then have enough interest to fill the stadium.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Trainman "I’ve been reading this debate with interest.

There’s no doubt that if you replace Catalan with either Wigan or Hull then the semi final attendance would be larger. Frankly though Leeds v Warrington should be packing the stadium on their own.

The question we really need to ask is why do we need to have a double header in the first place? The answer for me is that rugby league is going stale and is under funded. We are, in reality a M62 corridor sport plus Catalan which has the beginning of a foothold elsewhere that is yet to be exploited.

Reading through threads like this (an I’m no exception to this) those who argue against expansion are often supporters of clubs perceived to be at risk from a Toronto or Tolouse coming into SL and those in favour often a supporter of a ‘bigger’ side.

For me, for this sport to progress we need new blood, we need a fresh influx of players from new areas and we need the potential money that new markets can introduce to the sport. The key is we exploit those markets which hopefully the new CEO of SL will be able to do.

In truth the development of players and introducing new supporters will take time and we have to allow for this. I say this with genuine regret and empathy for their supporters but if we end up loosing a club with 100+ years of tradition to try and progress the sport then is is a sacrifice worth making as something needs to be done.

Long term, if we can increase revenue there’s no reason we can’t aim to have a thriving 20 team SL, going back to the original point, if that was the case it wouldn’t matter which teams are in the semifinals, we would then have enough interest to fill the stadium.'"

Finally, a balanced viewpoint, rather than the "blind folded, fingers crossed brigade". eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "Finally, a balanced viewpoint, rather than the "blind folded, fingers crossed brigade". The Irony......oh the Irony icon_rolleyes.gif
You started this thread with a hardly veiled swipe at the Expansionist Clubs. You "assumed" that as there were tickets on offer at a discount that this was because Catalan were one of the 4 sides and chose to focus on the "away fans" as an aside.

I gave you my viewpoint that whilst I trusted little that came out of the Toronto PR machine, we've had 130+ years to sort out the mess that the game is and why not try something new. I gave you my viewpoint, shared by many sports writers and journalists, that fans in the stadium is becoming less important in this ever changing multi-media market and I also repeated that the reality is that the away fans for a game at a local club like Wakefield are worth an average of less than £10,000 and that the lower gates at events have NO impact on anyone other than the RFL.....

But because my viewpoint doesn't fit with your anti-expansionist/fear of something different/protect my club at all costs agenda, you say it's blind folded finger crossing......point of order here, you don't know why ticket sales are slow, if they even are, for the double header, but you have repeated your opinion multiple times with no evidence to support it...... but I can show you using simple arithmetic that away fans are a red herring that play little roll in the running of a professional sports club or the RFL's coffers. I've also explained that neither semi finals in 2005 when Toulouse v Leeds attracted 10,553 or 2007 when Catalan attracted 10,218 attracted such a thread decrying expansionists.......in fact, the Catalan gate was almost identical at the HJ stadium as the one 2 years later between St Helens and Huddersfield......see, I use facts to counter your opinion and at every turn, you lose the debate, because you are simply put, anti-exansionist, because you fear for your clubs future if Super League were ever to actually become SUPER.

5,000 missing Catalan fans is worth 100k to the RFL........On a £25,000,000 turn over that's a pittance. 350 missing Catalan fans at Wakefield is worth £7,000 in lost revenue to Wakefield.......again, a fraction of a %......away fans don't matter. c020.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Call Me God "The Irony......oh the Irony
And off we go again.

Whether fans matter and you seem to think that they dont is a huge part of the question.
As someone who misses maybe 3 games a season (home or away), I believe the balance has shifted way too far away from the paying public.
I realise that without TV/Sponsorship, we cannot enjoy professional sport and far from being anti expansionist, I've been quite the opposite, although this doesnt seem to fit with your "northern pit village" rhetoric c020.gif

Although I couldnt make the away fixture in Perpignan this season, a group of us went to Toulouse this season and we always attended the away fixtures in London and Wales so, perhaps you should adjust your thoughts slightly.

The original post did question whether Catalan being one of the 4 semi finalists was the main reason behind poor ticket sales and whilst you considered this to be a "loaded" post, it s seemed a fair question.

We then get slurs on Trinity and its fans, pit village comments etc rather than any acknowledgement that there could be future issues with attendances for future RL events.

Fundamentally, you may have shown that any monetary loss is negligible, however, as a life long fan of the game, I find it difficult to accept that we would rather watch our game in half empty stadia because money is the driving force of the game, rather than looking after the sports paying customers.

Once we have a sanitised sport, laid on for the corporate elite instead of the regular fans, we no longer have a sport.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman12792
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1506.jpg
[quote:18jc6kzm]I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote:18jc6kzm]Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote="Jamie Jones-Buchanan":18jc6kzm]"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.[/quote:18jc6kzm]:1506.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "Fundamentally, you may have shown that any monetary loss is negligible, however, as a life long fan of the game, I find it difficult to accept that we would rather watch our game in half empty stadia because money is the driving force of the game, rather than looking after the sports paying customers.

Once we have a sanitised sport, laid on for the corporate elite instead of the regular fans, we no longer have a sport.'"

So what is it that you actually want to see from the sport?

It we take the general view that the sport is struggling to compete in this marketplace (given that we seem to be losing a greater proportion of top talent to overseas competitions, that we struggle to attract quality overseas talent (at least, ones that aren't banned from other comps), that participation is falling, that crowds are falling and the average age of our audience is going up), then a key challenge to addressing those issues is getting more finance into the game.

Now without turning the sport into a "sanitised corporate sport" that you seem to disaprove off, that would leave the sport needing to generate more finance from its supporter base. If that is the case, do you believe that the supporter base can contribute more? I would suggest that there is enough evidence out there to suggest that it can't (or won't) - we struggle to sell out key events, and the supporter base often isn't interested in events unless the tickets are sold at rock-bottom prices.

Or is the issue simply that you don't want the sport to address those issues, or that you don't believe the sport is facing those challenges? Is it simply a case that you don't want the sport to stray "out of its comfort zone", to remain something of a Northern oddity, simply because some clubs will be less equipped to meet the new standards than others?

Over the years I have been on RL fans there have been numerous threads about what the clubs and fans should be doing to market the sport - putting on events, fan engagement, community engagement, ancillary attractions, quality merchandise, etc. Toronto are doing all of these things, and making it work, yet for some on here that's still not enough. It just seems to me that people would much rather see the sport fail simply to see Toronto fail, rather than encouraging anything that drives this sport forward.

Nobody is saying that we want empty stadia - that isn't appealing to anyone and again, I believe you're seeing this as an either/or scenario. This isn't about forgetting the supporter base to chase the coporate dollar. It's about developing the fan base to make it and the sport more attractive to the commercial world.

And just a point about atmospheres, some of the best atmosphere's I've seen watching Leeds have been during the WCC events - not many Melbourne, Canterbury or Manly supporters in the crowd from what I recall of those nights.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: bramleyrhino "So what is it that you actually want to see from the sport?

It we take the general view that the sport is struggling to compete in this marketplace (given that we seem to be losing a greater proportion of top talent to overseas competitions, that we struggle to attract quality overseas talent (at least, ones that aren't banned from other comps), that participation is falling, that crowds are falling and the average age of our audience is going up), then a key challenge to addressing those issues is getting more finance into the game.

Now without turning the sport into a "sanitised corporate sport" that you seem to disaprove off, that would leave the sport needing to generate more finance from its supporter base. If that is the case, do you believe that the supporter base can contribute more? I would suggest that there is enough evidence out there to suggest that it can't (or won't) - we struggle to sell out key events, and the supporter base often isn't interested in events unless the tickets are sold at rock-bottom prices.

Or is the issue simply that you don't want the sport to address those issues, or that you don't believe the sport is facing those challenges? Is it simply a case that you don't want the sport to stray "out of its comfort zone", to remain something of a Northern oddity, simply because some clubs will be less equipped to meet the new standards than others?

Over the years I have been on RL fans there have been numerous threads about what the clubs and fans should be doing to market the sport - putting on events, fan engagement, community engagement, ancillary attractions, quality merchandise, etc. Toronto are doing all of these things, and making it work, yet for some on here that's still not enough. It just seems to me that people would much rather see the sport fail simply to see Toronto fail, rather than encouraging anything that drives this sport forward.

Nobody is saying that we want empty stadia - that isn't appealing to anyone and again, I believe you're seeing this as an either/or scenario. This is about forgetting the supporter base to chase the coporate dollar. It's about developing the fan base to make it and the sport more attractive to the commercial world.

And just a point about atmospheres, some of the best atmosphere's I've seen watching Leeds have been during the WCC events - not many Melbourne, Canterbury or Manly supporters in the crowd from what I recall of those nights.'"

What do I want as a fan of RL ?

Fairly simple answer, To be able to watch two evenly matched sides compete in a game of RL at a decent standard.
There is no secret that I am a Trinity fan and proud of it and for the record, although the "facilities" at some grounds were poor, the viewing of the game back in the day, when most fans had the opportunity to find their preferred viewpoint on the terraces AND be able to move freely around the grounds (both home and away) was significantly better than being forced to sit in a plastic seat, with little leg room and be constantly "hassled" by the constant stream of drinkers and toilet goers (usually the drinkers).
Of course the facilities at the newer grounds are far better than the old with, refreshments, toilets etc much improved but, much has been lost from "the good old days".
A decent view of the game and some chat with other supporters also adds to the matchday experience.

Of course, Rugby League has to compete with other sports to "entice" players into the sport and reward them for their efforts and therein lies the problem.

Our main "competition" for athletes who want to play league is perceived to come from Union, a sport that is far more wealthy than RL and probably always will be.
Union is played in good numbers across most of the UK and due to the history of the game, will remain dominant over our game. Before Union came clean and went professional, we were able to attract some great players into our code but, this pathway, although not officially closed, is no longer viable on anything other than an occasional "token" convert, Gareth Thomas being the last high profile signing.

Therefore, we are left paddling our own canoe, trying to develop our own, which ultimately is restricting "organic" growth and despite some efforts to "spread the gospel", we remain a marginalised sport, played mainly along the M62 corridor.

The expansion into into France, with PSG which was partially to raise the profile of the sport, was initially a spectacular flop (depspite the 10,000 attendance for their opening game) however, their replacement with Catalan, who you could say are from the "Heartlands in Catalonia" has certainly worked up to a point and with Toulouse now challenging for a spot in the top flight, this will help to strengthen RL in France and hopefully, in Europe and we should embrace this.

We then move along to N. America.

Encouraged by Nigel Wood Toronto have put together a squad of largely overseas players and spent their way to the top of League 1 and then to the top of The Championship and will more than likely replace Widnes in SL, unless of course their is a further restructure of the competition or, a breakaway of some sort.

There are several issues with the N. American club.
Firstly, there is little doubt that they have added some "X Factor" to both League 1 and The Championship and brought some publicity to the game. However, whilst they may have some local players in their squad, this remains a RL club built on sand and running at a substantial monetary loss since their inception and this should be ringing alarm bells everywhere.
Their consortium seem happy to bank roll them but, seriously, for how long ?
Equally, there isnt a hope in hell of them producing more than an odd one or two SL players for the foreseeable future.
So whilst some see this as the "Great RL Dream" (and cracking the N. American market would be one hell of a feather in Mr Wood's cap, a couple of tough seasons, especially if they were in a position to be relegated would end very badly.
It's a HUGE gamble and as we've seen with Koucash and more recently Beaumont, wealthy people are generally happy when they are getting the results that they want and why should Toronto be any different.
I've posted many times about including both Toulouse and Toronto in the top flight but, also that this should be done in an expanded SL (14 clubs) as it would be criminal to allow say 2 current SL sides fold to test Mr Woods dream.
The game is short on cash, no doubt but Toronto will likely be a drain on limited resources, rather than a contributor but, so many dreamers are happy to close their eyes and just hope.

108 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
108 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.81103515625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
BP1
3m
Decision on the field
NSW
10m
Rumours thread
PopTart
17m
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
matt_wire
19m
Sam Burgess
Captain Hook
20m
Film game
Boss Hog
25m
Recruitment rumours and links
easyWire
30m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
36m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Sir Gregory
49m
Championship Awards
FIL
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Listenup94
53s
2025 membership/renewals
The Dentist
1m
Season tickets
Hudd-Shay
1m
Film game
Boss Hog
2m
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
Mild Rover
2m
Sam Burgess
Captain Hook
2m
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Vancouver Le
3m
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
3m
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
5m
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Questions for Ste Mills
JamieRobinso
TODAY
Decision on the field
NSW
TODAY
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
matt_wire
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Listenup94
TODAY
Sam Burgess
Captain Hook
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
just_browny
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
TODAY
Championship Awards
FIL
TODAY
Season tickets
Hudd-Shay
TODAY
Best Semi
sir adrian m
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Vancouver Le
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Squad for HKR
MorePlaymake
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
BarnsleyGull
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Howfenwire
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M +23,333 ↓-1880,13114,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
       Championship 2024-R29

15:00
York
17-10
Widnes
UPDATE! Half Time
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 5th Oct
CH
LIVE
York17-10Widnes
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 28 665 479 186 31
Widnes 27 561 485 76 30
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22