Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

We've had many threads regarding poor numbers of away fans at games and the stock response is that clubs should be focusing on their own fans to maximise their attendances and this may be right.
However, there is a serious issue, when fans dont travel to the RL showpiece events and this issue seems to be having an effect on crowd numbers at the semi final double header.
Having just taken advantage of a £15 ticket, including travel to go to Bolton, you do wonder whether having 1 or 2 more overseas clubs in SL will have a detrimental effect on Magic and The Grand Final.

Although, in one sense, it would be great to see Catalan in a major final, the effect on ticket sales could be a potential disaster and this is painted against the £2 million loss that The RFL recently posted.

Can this really be good for the game of RL or, am I missing something ?

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76960_1533043896.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76960.jpg

Clubs and their supporters who depend on traveling fans shows a weakness that the said club cannot or will not make an effort to market themselves. Widnes being an example. I mean look at their major jersey sponsor 'Beat the Scum, sorry Scrum'. What is that all about?? Hardly a national sponsor. Was better when ICI were on the front!

This has been an ongoing issue in the 30 years I have been watching RL. Only a few clubs do make the effort and then they are rewarded with the fruits of their labour, but this then causes the bludger clubs to become envious and jealous leading to bitterness.
Why can't the ENTIRE game work together FFS?? Is it really too hard to put aside egos for the bigger common good???

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman12792
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1506.jpg
[quote:18jc6kzm]I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote:18jc6kzm]Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote="Jamie Jones-Buchanan":18jc6kzm]"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.[/quote:18jc6kzm]:1506.jpg

Having strong away followings is clearly not a bad thing. My issue with the "away fans" argument is that we are allowing what is a proportionally small source of revenue or potential to have an unduly high level of influence on the direction that the sport takes.

At the moment, the debate we seem to be having seems to revolve around how the sport shouldn't explore potential new opportunities for new audiences, commercial partners and media partnerships because we might see a reduction in attendance when these clubs play in the heartland areas. I think that view is extremely misguided.

Does expansion come with risk? Absolutely it does. It may be that these audiences, media partnerships and commercial partnerships never materialise, but there's equally risk in not expanding the sport that I would suggest is much greater.

Look at most professional sports and you will see that the proportion of income that comes directly from supporters has fallen consistently over the last 20 years or so. Income from ticketing and merchandise is becoming less and less significant in football, RU, the NRL and in all of the major US sports. It's still significant, but it's a much smaller slice of the pie. RL clubs haven't cottoned on to that fact, and this argument about "away fans" misses that point entirely.

It raises the question as to how this sport is possibly going to grow when advertisers, sponsors and broadcasters don't care about an audience of 3,000 mostly C2DE's in Salford? Expansion comes with downsides and risks, but I think that the upsides make that an opportunity cost worth taking. Next year Sky will complete a full roll-out of its programmatic TV advertising technology and that's going to seriously hurt this sport unless it starts appealing to new audiences.

And even with that in mind, the argument that clubs should focus on 'home supporters' is absolutely a fair one to make. These supports offer much more value over a lifetime to a club and, in a industry where supply is naturally constrained (due to ground capacities), 10,000 home supporters in a stadium is much more valuable than 8,000 home and 2,000 away in the long term.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain8No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2019Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76908_1530033512.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76908.jpeg

Quote: RLRealist "Widnes being an example. I mean look at their major jersey sponsor 'Beat the Scum, sorry Scrum'. What is that all about?? Hardly a national sponsor.'"

Hardly a national sponsor? It's a partnership with the NHS so it's a bit national.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6809
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Jan 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18302_1567366773.png
[b:1crbsr9w] Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021! Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022! [/b:1crbsr9w]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18302.png

I think that expansion has that drawback of fewer away fans. But that hasn't harmed the NRL. Melbourne Storm, and North Queensland have done very nicely with their own fans dominating their home games and not traveling away. So nobody in Australia is raising this issue in deciding whether the NRL should expand into Perth.

Furthermore, this lack of traveling fans has to be weighed against the increase in sponsorship and advertising that comes with expansion teams.

Neutrals get behind the expansion teams for the big events.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1306
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67446_1336737201.png
[b:mygo02ha]And the Geek shall inherit the Earth![/b:mygo02ha]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67446.png

Quote: Great Balls Offiah "Hardly a national sponsor? It's a partnership with the NHS so it's a bit national.'"

The fact you had to explain it means that its hardly well known. Either that or just a rubbish logo. Slap NHS on there and we'd know. But then again, why should my monthly tax be used to prop up a rubbish team? Thats hardly going to help me when I go to the DRs.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: JEAN CAPDOUZE "

Furthermore, this lack of traveling fans has to be weighed against the increase in sponsorship and advertising that comes with expansion teams.

Neutrals get behind the expansion teams for the big events.'"

Although there are POTENTIAL increases in sponsorship and advertising, can you point out where there has been any gain from this since Catalan joined the competition ?
Also, whilst some neutrals may well support say, Catalan against Saints, there wont be anything like as many neutrals buying tickets for the double header as there would be had say, Hull FC or Leeds playing there.
Maybe the very fact that we have a double header semi final tells us everything we need to know about the potential for travelling fans from Perpignan and just imagine what would happen if it happened to be Totonto v Catalan next season ?

If we had Catalan, Toulouse, London and Toronto at Magic next season, what would happen to the attendance and what would the ramifications be for the RFL's coffers.
The same applies to The Challenge Cup Final and potentially the Grand Final, although the latter does seem a bit far fetched.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1506.jpg
[quote:18jc6kzm]I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote:18jc6kzm]Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote="Jamie Jones-Buchanan":18jc6kzm]"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.[/quote:18jc6kzm]:1506.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "If we had Catalan, Toulouse, London and Toronto at Magic next season, what would happen to the attendance and what would the ramifications be for the RFL's coffers.'"

Apply the same question to a scenario where Magic Weekend is contested by clubs from parts of the country that major advertisers and sponsors have little-to-no interest in. What are the implications for the RFL coffers then?

In a lot of cases it's possible to reach the sort of audience we speak to for less than £50-per-thousand - and that number is getting lower and lower. That's the reality of the advertising and sponsorship market we are in and the main reason why we are so attractive to online bookmakers is predominantly because they tend to be excluded from those forms of advertising.

At the moment we have one French club in SL. That French club have generated their own commercial partnerships with French companies that may never have been involved in the sport before (Renault, Air France etc). Yes, they are sponsors of the Dragons and not the league as a whole, but to say that "Super League isn't sponsored by French multi-nationals so why do we bother with Catalans?" is like complaining that we aren't sponsored by Coca-Cola because we have some clubs near one of their bottling plants. The more we increase the sport's footprint and audience reach, the more attractive it becomes.

I also think we need to stop seeing this as a zero-sum game. If heartland clubs can do what's necessary to increase our appeal to advertisers and broadcasters, fantastic. I just don't think that they can. Wigan's last publicised accounts show a drop in sponsorship income of £680,000. Unless that was a very tough year for Uncle Joes Mintballs, it should be the canary in the coal mine that one of our most prominent clubs is not an attractive proposition for sponsors.

One of the reasons why RU doesn't have the same discussions, despite being relatively geographically confined (in this country at least), is because it reaches those hard-to-reach audiences in affluent parts of the country in and around the London commuter belt. We've got affulent parts of the country on our doorstep, but our clubs aren't reaching those areas.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain255No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: bramleyrhino "Apply the same question to a scenario where Magic Weekend is contested by clubs from parts of the country that major advertisers and sponsors have little-to-no interest in. What are the implications for the RFL coffers then?

In a lot of cases it's possible to reach the sort of audience we speak to for less than £50-per-thousand - and that number is getting lower and lower. That's the reality of the advertising and sponsorship market we are in and the main reason why we are so attractive to online bookmakers is predominantly because they tend to be excluded from those forms of advertising.

At the moment we have one French club in SL. That French club have generated their own commercial partnerships with French companies that may never have been involved in the sport before (Renault, Air France etc). Yes, they are sponsors of the Dragons and not the league as a whole, but to say that "Super League isn't sponsored by French multi-nationals so why do we bother with Catalans?" is like complaining that we aren't sponsored by Coca-Cola because we have some clubs near one of their bottling plants. The more we increase the sport's footprint and audience reach, the more attractive it becomes.

I also think we need to stop seeing this as a zero-sum game. If heartland clubs can do what's necessary to increase our appeal to advertisers and broadcasters, fantastic. I just don't think that they can. Wigan's last publicised accounts show a drop in sponsorship income of £680,000. Unless that was a very tough year for Uncle Joes Mintballs, it should be the canary in the coal mine that one of our most prominent clubs is not an attractive proposition for sponsors.

One of the reasons why RU doesn't have the same discussions, despite being relatively geographically confined (in this country at least), is because it reaches those hard-to-reach audiences in affluent parts of the country in and around the London commuter belt. We've got affulent parts of the country on our doorstep, but our clubs aren't reaching those areas.'"

sleepy.gif

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1506.jpg

Quote: knockonknockon "

Excellent point, well made.

It may well be boring, but if you're looking for reasons why this sport is regressing, looking at why one of our better run, most recognised and marketable clubs is losing £680k in sponsorship is probably a good starting point.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: bramleyrhino "

One of the reasons why RU doesn't have the same discussions, despite being relatively geographically confined (in this country at least), is because it reaches those hard-to-reach audiences in affluent parts of the country in and around the London commuter belt. We've got affulent parts of the country on our doorstep, but our clubs aren't reaching those areas.'"

RU is the sport of The Establishment and in England it's largely based around the capital and whether we like it or not, the game is way, way better connected than RL.
Also, the face that it commands so media attention, give it a huge advantage when talking to sponsors.

RL is looking to improve it's media appeal and who knows, our expansion into N America and further into France should help in this area but, nobody quite knows and IF we keep on taking the wrong options, the current system being yet another of these, it wont matter how far and wide "we" are spread, because the game in the UK could well be dead.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4913No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wrencat1873 "We've had many threads regarding poor numbers of away fans at games and the stock response is that clubs should be focusing on their own fans to maximise their attendances and this may be right.
However, there is a serious issue, when fans dont travel to the RL showpiece events and this issue seems to be having an effect on crowd numbers at the semi final double header.
Having just taken advantage of a £15 ticket, including travel to go to Bolton, you do wonder whether having 1 or 2 more overseas clubs in SL will have a detrimental effect on Magic and The Grand Final.

Although, in one sense, it would be great to see Catalan in a major final, the effect on ticket sales could be a potential disaster and this is painted against the £2 million loss that The RFL recently posted.

Can this really be good for the game of RL or, am I missing something ?'"

This post just stinks if anti expansionism, from a suppoter if a club who jyst about manage an away folliwing in the low hundreds, complaing that otjer sudes only bring fans in similar numbers. And rely on the big city neighbors away support to bump up the average crowds.
I hope Torobto and Toulouse come in and shake it up a bit.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain91
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76408_1516123856.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76408.jpg

Quote: rollin thunder "This post just stinks if anti expansionism, from a suppoter if a club who jyst about manage an away folliwing in the low hundreds, complaing that otjer sudes only bring fans in similar numbers. And rely on the big city neighbors away support to bump up the average crowds.
I hope Torobto and Toulouse come in and shake it up a bit.'"

have you been drinking? icon_eek.gif icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1506.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "RL is looking to improve it's media appeal and who knows, our expansion into N America and further into France should help in this area but, nobody quite knows and IF we keep on taking the wrong options, the current system being yet another of these, it wont matter how far and wide "we" are spread, because the game in the UK could well be dead.'"

And as I said, that's the risk. The problem is, the game in the UK could well be dead anyway if we don't take that risk. How do we get this sport into a position where we can generate commercial and media investment by insisting that we should only offer those investors what we are already offering them?

I completely understand why people insist on saying "focus on the heartlands", but what does this actually mean in reality? We've had 120 years and more to "focus on the heartlands" and here we are, with declining participation, falling crowds, an aging audience, falling commercial income in comparison to other sports and more and more clubs in financial distress. So what does "focusing on the heartlands" mean? Giving out more central funding (much of which seems to go purely on paying off HMRC debts)? Giving out more cheap tickets? Betting the farm on Eddie Hearn?

To bring it back to the original question, that's why I think that this obsession with "away fans" is the wrong point of focus. As a sport we are probably generating as much direct revenue from our fanbase as we can - look at how our support base only supports international fixtures if the discount codes come out. The sport needs to follow the lead of pretty much every other successful professional sport and look for revenue beyond that fan base. Again, how do we do that by simply insisting that expansion won't work, cannot work, and by offering nothing new to those investors that aren't interested in what is already on the table?

RankPostsTeam
International Star4913No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: sendhimoffref "have you been drinking? Have you seen the weather cause i have.

108 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
108 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.43603515625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
Boss Hog
9m
Proposed rule changes 2025
leeds owl
11m
Tonights match v HKR
ChampagneSup
11m
Season tickets
Listenup94
11m
TV Games - Not Hull
Mild Rover
16m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
27m
Rumours thread
Butcher
36m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
37m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
Recent
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Seth
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Offy86
33s
TV games not Wire
100% Wire
42s
leeds owl
46s
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
Bobby Digita
51s
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
54s
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
58s
Squad for HKR
MorePlaymake
58s
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
1m
Film game
Boss Hog
1m
Rumours and signings v9
apollosghost
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
Bobby Digita
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Listenup94
TODAY
Sam Burgess
Bobby Digita
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
ChampagneSup
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
[Gareth]
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
northernblok
TODAY
Championship Awards
Butcher
TODAY
Season tickets
Listenup94
TODAY
Best Semi
sir adrian m
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Vancouver Le
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Squad for HKR
MorePlaymake
TODAY
leeds owl
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Rafa9
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
BarnsleyGull
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Howfenwire
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
rubber ducki
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M +13,270 ↑22280,13114,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 20 523 264 259 32
Warrington 20 502 267 235 28
Hull KR 19 481 255 226 28
St.Helens 20 501 262 239 24
Catalans 19 366 274 92 24
Salford 19 355 366 -11 24

Leeds 20 371 364 7 20
Leigh 19 378 304 74 17
Huddersfield 20 350 453 -103 14
Castleford 20 336 523 -187 13
Hull FC 20 274 612 -338 6
LondonB 19 198 725 -527 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22