FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > RLWC to be held in France in 2025?
91 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1324No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Donnyman "1. Indeed, but moreso Rugby Union in France dwarfes Rugby League. In essence the idea is like pitting a corner shop against a supermarket. Do the organisers of the RLWC know anything about Rugby in France?

2. And so the RU world cup in France will merely consolidate Unions power and position over rugby league in France giving them the first go at using a world cup to further promote and expand Union in France. This means persuading people to choose RU over RL there....

Pro RL does not work in France, the one club with any substance has to use players from here, it has to play teams from here. The pretenders in Toulouse are not even set up to Catalans level. The game here produces players, it has far more fans and far more TV interest.

Substituting an English club for Catalans depletes Superleague

Substituting TO for another English club further depletes Superleague

Substitute Avignon for another English club and the SKY deal goes, then that will be be pro-RL gone in Europe, France and all.

Let's see who can actually debate the facts rather than just go on a wind up.'"

So you would have less of an issue if the french sides were in addition to the existing 12 sides if we were to bring in say bradford or London 22 english sides and 2 french sides ?

Ignoring the argument of tv money it would be a better option than as you say just replacing a current side with Toulouse. I think that we are seeing expansion wrong and it's not about a club in America one in canada n maybe Spain if they all have to fit in to a league of 12 !! Rfl must now look to expand but in a more thought out manor. It should be to look at how to get to 16/18 sides without impacting tv money from sky or for a way in which clubs are not as reliant on the tv money. I would not be looking to increase the length of the season but to play more midweek games and less loop fixtures.

I dont mind the french clubs they are a nice weekend away add somthing different to the league. I think that if we have london york newcastle Toulouse widnes and bradford in super league in 10 years and all clubs are competitive and financially stable that is the expansion we should be aiming for.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wrencat1873 "

1. In business terms, it most definitely is expand or die.

2. IF staging a world cup in France can boost their game, it is a positive step for the game, either in terms of paying fans, TV viewers or maybe, just maybe, more people becoming interested in taking up the sport. Not to mention investment opportunities for both the French game but, for the sport as a whole. Staging the World Cup in France should allow investors and advertisers to see that RL is not just a "Yorkshire/Lancashire" small time sport. Even you must see that ?

'"

1. There are countless businesses that have been established many many years who have adapted to changing times, so your just wrong there. Many of these businesses take pride in being established many years ago and use that on their advertising and labelling. Suggest you leave this one alone.

2. Suggest you cut out the "even you" crack as well, we have both probably lived through many World cups and they are great TV and they attract many fans and sponsors who do not normally watch RL but you know as well as I do when the tournament is over that's it for the part time fans and sponsors.

That's how every world cup goes it attracts many casual fans and new fans and business give it a look in, but none of this ever sticks.

Rochdale Hornets may be good for 600 fans, then the world cup gives them a Fiji game and they get 9,000 fans. Next home game back to 600. That's how it is, your arguing a principle that World cups bring in a legacy new fans, new money and new players in which down the years of our life time there is exactly ZERO evidence of this.

We get this every so often in any sort of "Expansion" e.g. this Billionaire has started a club in Toronto.....

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7096
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
36131_1571835935.jpg
nosorożce biorą to w dupę:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_36131.jpg

Quote: The Silent H "Wrong again. There is enough interest now in North America for a 14 team league.

How good is that and discredits any of your previous lack of interest arguments.'"

They have a league in Burundi - the fact people aren't pointing to the opportunity of holding the word cup there is shocking in this day and age.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7096
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
36131_1571835935.jpg

If we don’t get a Kazakh super league side soon rugby Union will remain dominant in Central Asia.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Dezzies_right_hook "

1. So you would have less of an issue if the french sides were in addition to the existing 12 sides if we were to bring in say bradford or London 22 english sides and 2 french sides ?

Ignoring the argument of tv money it would be a better option than as you say just replacing a current side with Toulouse. I think that we are seeing expansion wrong and it's not about a club in America one in canada n maybe Spain if they all have to fit in to a league of 12 !! Rfl must now look to expand but in a more thought out manor. It should be to look at how to get to 16/18 sides without impacting tv money from sky or for a way in which clubs are not as reliant on the tv money. I would not be looking to increase the length of the season but to play more midweek games and less loop fixtures.

I dont mind the french clubs they are a nice weekend away add somthing different to the league. I think that if we have london york newcastle Toulouse widnes and bradford in super league in 10 years and all clubs are competitive and financially stable that is the expansion we should be aiming for.

'"

Mate, I went to the first test between GB and France after Catalans came in the league. We had not played France for years but here was a chance to get the test games on every year, but one club could not produce an international side. Had Toulouse come in as well and had the two clubs had say a dozen top French lads each in their sides providing quality test games I'd have been made up.

Because that is why the French were invited into Superleague

Now there are no more Tests because there weren't many quality players in the first place (Touxagas,Raguin, Pelo, Casty, Duport, Khahtabi, Fakir, Gossad, Guisset and Bosch were quality) the inclusion of two English/Aussie teams from France is thoroughly pointless. We have 15 years evidence of which way the French game is going and as we only see only a few French lads with first team shirts it's clear French RL is gone as a professional game. They don't have the players nor the TV money.

There can be no justification to make ambitious clubs like Newcastle, Bradford, Featherstone York etc who all applied for SL recently to sit out a future Superleague in which two "French" clubs playing virtually no French players and providing no TV subs take SL places they should have..

Why does this nonsense go on? Because Superleague bosses can't agree to do anything in unison. IIRC it's probably Hetherington who won't vote the French out. I suspect however that the other Superleague clubs won't vote Toulouse in. Certainly when there was the chance recently for Toulouse to come straight into Superleague this year many armchair fans called for them. most SL bosses didn't.

Yes if we had a load more money we could be one step towards more SL clubs, BUT we would still need the second step of more quality players which France can't even offer for the one team that have in there. As it stands we need 14 well funded SL clubs to avoid the loop fixtures and we need them all to be English to up the SKY subs.

It may be reunification between SL and the RFL and a majority voting system may see some progress.....

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain510No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20205 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Round and round we go again.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Dezzies_right_hook "So you would have less of an issue if the french sides were in addition to the existing 12 sides if we were to bring in say bradford or London 22 english sides and 2 french sides ?

I dont mind the french clubs they are a nice weekend away add somthing different to the league. I think that if we have london york newcastle Toulouse widnes and bradford in super league in 10 years and all clubs are competitive and financially stable that is the expansion we should be aiming for.'"

The whole point is that if the league increases then, necessarily it should be on the basis of increasing TV revenue and not just making the slices of cake smaller.
IF we are saying that RL has already maxed out the potential revenue and is incapable of improving the take from Sky or, whoever else, our sport really is in dire straits - what a poor reflection this would be on our game.
Those negotiating the deal should be bigging the game up, on the back of an up coming world cup, across all variations of the game.
We certainly shouldn't be accepting that our sport only exists along part of the M62

RankPostsTeam
International Star7181No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.:

Quote: Donnyman "

There can be no justification to make ambitious clubs like Newcastle, Bradford, Featherstone York etc who all applied for SL recently to sit out a future Superleague in which two "French" clubs playing virtually no French players and providing no TV subs take SL places they should have..

'"

Ambitious Newcastle won't have very many north east accents representing them this year.
Ambitious Bradford lost heavily to another club that don't play their home games in their own city.
Featherstone ignore the laws of the land and York not only lost at home to Toulouse,but are yet to win a game at their new home stadium.
Yea.They will boost the current status of Super League and Sky subscriptions will go through the roof.
The home international side will certainly raise their standards....isn't that what was supposed to happen with Super League and summer rugby?

RankPostsTeam
International Star2794
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
70807_1599340376.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_70807.jpg

Quote: Ornery Optimist "More clubs have folded and had more financial issues along the M62 corridor
Perhaps it is just an English disease.'"

This is a non argument.

The correlation you use to push your agenda utilizes a flawed measure, namely that if 95% of English/British R.L Clubs (percentage picked at random to make point) are located along or very close to the M62 then of course the percentage of financial failures or administrations is higher. For your argument to work in any way you would need to point to the exact number from each region & the percentage within that region.

Good luck with that !!!

FWIW, I have already stated that I am all for a RLWC to be held in France.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7096
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
36131_1571835935.jpg

Quote: Ornery Optimist "Ambitious Newcastle won't have very many north east accents representing them this year.
Ambitious Bradford lost heavily to another club that don't play their home games in their own city.
Featherstone ignore the laws of the land and York not only lost at home to Toulouse,but are yet to win a game at their new home stadium.
Yea.They will boost the current status of Super League and Sky subscriptions will go through the roof.
The home international side will certainly raise their standards....isn't that what was supposed to happen with Super League and summer rugby?'"

So you’re writing off clubs with a history of and that continue to produce fans of the game and young players that go on to represent their country on the strength of one round of fixtures with squads built on championship budgets? With all due respect that approach hasn’t ever and never will work in building support for whatever the latest expansionist pipe dream is.

RankPostsTeam
International Star7181No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.:

Quote: Maccbull_BigBullyBooaza "So you’re writing off clubs with a history of and that continue to produce fans of the game and young players that go on to represent their country on the strength of one round of fixtures with squads built on championship budgets? With all due respect that approach hasn’t ever and never will work in building support for whatever the latest expansionist pipe dream is.'"

I think you have taken it out of context.
As it would have meant you reading a lot of previous input from Donnyman,it may help if I assure you I am certainly NOT writing of any of the above named clubs,or any other clubs that have lost,by necessity,and by no fault of their own,any young players,and any clubs who have done without money by whatever circumstances.
Nor am I,or will I,attempt to shatter any expansionist dream:quite the contrary.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wrencat1873 "

1. The whole point is that if the league increases then, necessarily it should be on the basis of increasing TV revenue and not just making the slices of cake smaller.

2. IF we are saying that RL has already maxed out the potential revenue and is incapable of improving the take from Sky or, whoever else, our sport really is in dire straits

3. Those negotiating the deal should be bigging the game up, on the back of an up coming world cup

'"

1. So on that basis the drop in TV revenue according to you should mean what? A ten club league? It has been suggested the top 10 clubs play each other 3 times.

2. The dire straits comes when the TV deal is pulled, don't you get that? Therefore the game survives on an English TV deal?

All along the ridiculous journey of the fake Canadian club and the calls to put another fake Canadian club in SL for a "derby" along with the calls to put the tiny "French" club Toulouse in for a "French Derby" (with few French players) a relatively tiny number of RL enthusiasts mainly hanging around message boards have wholly ignored the reality that expansion isn't spreading the same number of pro clubs across the northern hemisphere.

It was always just a dream, yet a small number of people seemed to believe it, (we have about 120,000 RL fans and only a couple of hundred on message boards) or at least liked winding up those who can clearly see RL's survival isn't closing down English pro clubs who attract TV money for fake overseas clubs who don't attract TV money.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Ste100Centurions "

This is a non argument.

FWIW, I have already stated that I am all for a RLWC to be held in France.'"

It's just a wind up Ste.......

They can hold the World cup anywhere they want for me, and if it's in France I hope you have a great time Ste....

I also hope Leigh can get used to the pace of SL and start to pick up some wins....

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Maccbull_BigBullyBooaza "

So you’re writing off clubs with a history of and that continue to produce fans of the game and young players that go on to represent their country

'"

It's just a constant wind up, I'm more worried about those who really can't get their head around what Expansion really means. which is of course set up new clubs outside the traditional boundaries that attract a bigger player pool and more sponsorship/TV income...............

.........] But not by depleting the clubs inside the traditional boundaries. We forget entirely what Catalans and Toulouse have done to French RL by walking away. Just imagine if Leeds and Wigan decided to go join the French league for next season 2022, and to accommodate them two French clubs were relegated from the Ellite icon_eek.gif

This would be a nonsense and not in any way "expansion". But exactly the same thing as Cats and TO have done

RankPostsTeam
International Star1426No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2022Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: snowie "not a problem with france holding the tournament as it is a world cup but not every body wants to travel abroad tho and as not everyone can afford to travel abroad.'"

It is a world cup. I can guarantee that someone will be travelling abroad.

91 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
91 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.4873046875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Recruitment rumours and links
Smiffy27
4m
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
10m
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
Vancouver Le
11m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Emagdnim13
15m
Film game
Boss Hog
21m
Tonights match v HKR
karetaker
27m
Questions for Ste Mills
Little willy
32m
Realistic targets for 2025
giddyupoldfe
38m
Shopping list for 2025
al283
52m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Recruitment rumours and links
Smiffy27
24s
Realistic targets for 2025
giddyupoldfe
29s
TV Games - Not Hull
The games af
34s
Leigh it is
moto748
40s
Seeking favourite images from grounds - past or present
retrosports
56s
Sam Burgess
fez1
1m
Former players
weighman
1m
Play-off semi-final
Scarlet Pimp
1m
RoyBoy29
1m
Film game
Boss Hog
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
York Valkyrie Win Back to Back Grand Finals
RLFANS News
TODAY
NRL
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
Penrith Panthers Secure Fourth Consecutive Title
RLFANS News
TODAY
Seeking favourite images from grounds - past or present
retrosports
TODAY
Grand final Tickets
moto748
TODAY
RoyBoy29
TODAY
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Questions for Ste Mills
Little willy
TODAY
Decision on the field
MR FRISK
TODAY
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
rubber ducki
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Tony Fax
TODAY
Sam Burgess
fez1
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
karetaker
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
Championship Awards
FIL
TODAY
Season tickets
faxcar
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
York Valkyrie Win Back to Back..
Hunslet Book Relegation Play O..
Penrith Panthers Secure Fourth..
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Gran..
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 3,165 ↓-19080,13314,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
 FT
Hover 
Melbourne
6-14
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
 FT 
Keighley
6-20
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
 FT 
Bradford
25-12
Featherstone
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
 FT 
York V
18-8
St.HelensW
 Sat 12th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R30
18:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Sun 13th Oct
       Championship 2024-R30
15:00
Swinton
v
Hunslet
Wakefield
v
York
17:00
Toulouse
v
Bradford
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley6-20Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V18-8St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne6-14Penrith
Sat 12th Oct
SL
18:00
Hull KR-Wigan
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 6th Oct
L1
LIVE
Keighley6-20Hunslet
CH
LIVE
Bradford25-12Featherstone
WSL2024
LIVE
York V18-8St.HelensW
NRL
LIVE
Melbourne6-14Penrith
Sat 5th Oct
CH 29 York27-10Widnes
SL 29 Wigan38-0Leigh
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 28 759 336 423 46
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 29 580 442 138 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Bradford 27 703 399 304 36
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
York 28 682 479 203 32
Widnes 27 561 502 59 29
Featherstone 27 634 525 109 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22