FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Golden ticket???
204 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Saint Simon "It hasn't been binned, it can be as effective with a competative London in the 2nd tier'"
No it can't. Lets not be silly.

Quote: Saint Simon "Thats just madness. What would it do to a club like Salford if the Dr was allowed to spend wht he wanted, but then got board in 3 yrs and just walked away?'"
What if Salford spend the full cap and the Dr got bored and wanted out in 3 years? Are we pretending that as long as Salford spend this arbitrary sum they will be ok? When all evidence is to the contrary?

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: Mike87 "If the homegrown 100k rule wasn't in force Leeds would have been miles over the cap.

all the current rules in place are to benefit the current top teams.'"

Lol :CROWN: I am the hash browns of rlfans :CROWN::27476.gif

Quote: Mike87 "If the homegrown 100k rule wasn't in force Leeds would have been miles over the cap.

all the current rules in place are to benefit the current top teams.'"

The 100k homegrown rule only comes into force from 2015.

QUOTE | REPLY
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5214No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27476.gif
:CROWN: I am the hash browns of rlfans :CROWN::27476.gif

Quote: SmokeyTA "Are you trying to say Man Utd didnt make big signings? They spent a hell of a lot of money relative to other clubs, they do now, and they certainly did then.'"

Actually man utd are the second lowest spending of the big 6 in the premiership era - only nal have spent less of the teams currently occupying 1-6 in the premier league!

Of course every club can make big signings - but it think it should be to compliment their youngsters rather than to overrun - it's easy enough to bring in a couple with the salary cap, adding exemptions just means more coming in.

On the subject of cherry picking, some seem to want to paint some of the big teams as monsters coming in the middle of the night to rip young innocent academy players from their beds kicking and screaming. All clubs get cherry picked at times, tomkins, eastmond, graham etc - except it doesn't stop the clubs invested in youth turning around and producing a dozen more - if any club had more fed trained then home grown players I'd say it would be a fair argument, but saints, Wigan, and Leeds all produce more than they bring in

QUOTE | REPLY
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman2524
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1217.jpg
Knowledge flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings:1217.jpg

The great advantage of the Golden Ticket idea is that cash could then be spread around - so a Bradford or a Wakefield (other clubs are available) rather than go into administration OR have to sell off their playing staff could sell off their ticket and use the cash to keep afloat while restructuring.
Taking Wakey's plight last year, wouldn't they rather have kept Tim Smith and sold the ticket?
It obviously depends upon there being a market to sell the ticket, I can't believe it would only be Dr K who would take advantage of this.

QUOTE | REPLY
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Magic Superbeetle "Actually man utd are the second lowest spending of the big 6 in the premiership era - only nal have spent less of the teams currently occupying 1-6 in the premier league! '"
Net or gross? And is that adjusted for inflation?

Man Utd have broken the British Transfer record 3 times in the premier league era, no other team has done it more than once. Of the 100 biggest transfers of the premier league era (adjusted for inflation) Man Utd account for 18 of those, second only to Chelsea. With just those 18 transfers accounting for over half a billion pounds.

Quote: Magic Superbeetle "Of course every club can make big signings - but it think it should be to compliment their youngsters rather than to overrun - it's easy enough to bring in a couple with the salary cap, adding exemptions just means more coming in.'"
How does a marquee allowance allow big signings to over-run their youngsters? Having a marquee allowance actually does the opposite in that it makes it more accessible for a club to not get 5 or 6 mediocre overseas players and pay then 75k a year, but to get 1 super star and pay him £400k a year and fill the gap with youngsters.

QUOTE | REPLY
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5214No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27476.gif

Quote: SmokeyTA "Net or gross? And is that adjusted for inflation?

Man Utd have broken the British Transfer record 3 times in the premier league era, no other team has done it more than once. Of the 100 biggest transfers of the premier league era (adjusted for inflation) Man Utd account for 18 of those, second only to Chelsea. With just those 18 transfers accounting for over half a billion pounds.

How does a marquee allowance allow big signings to over-run their youngsters? Having a marquee allowance actually does the opposite in that it makes it more accessible for a club to not get 5 or 6 mediocre overseas players and pay then 75k a year, but to get 1 super star and pay him £400k a year and fill the gap with youngsters.'"

I have no idea about man utd, I read, ahem skimmed, an article in the financial times about it, this is all I can remember! I shall concede to superior knowledge if needs be the case on the matter!

As for bringing in a marquee not affecting bringing youngsters through - I don't believe for a second clubs would "instead of" bringing 5/6 mediocre players through they'll bring in 1 marquee, it'll be 4/5 plus the marquee, who will as have the advantage of being undropable, regardless of who rises through the ranks. And it won't be 4/5 as the none fed trained quota is rising to 7 again (terrible idea) and that's without counting the numerous ways around it

Also, clubs have a finite amount of money (even Salford) - if they're choosing to spend 400k on a marquee signing, that money has to come out of the budget somewhere else! And given the previous history a lot of clubs have in this country, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it's young player retention!

Salford sign rangi chase on a 4 year contract, theo fages has to adopt a new position to compensate etc. (I know the arguments about this, he's not ready yet, it'll take the pressure off him etc etc etc, but this is the reality of it)

QUOTE | REPLY
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1114No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2015Aug 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Salary cap - you're havin a laugh.:

Currently only the bigger clubs can afford to buy the best players whilst still producing their own. Surely a system where some of this wealth is re distributed is better for the game?

QUOTE | REPLY
RankPostsTeam
International Star585No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2015Nov 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Him "Lol
It's been in force for years, the laughs on you.

QUOTE | REPLY
RankPostsTeam
International Star585No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2015Nov 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Magic Superbeetle "The 100k homegrown rule only comes into force from 2015.'"

A certain Leeds player who I've know since school told me over half his salary doesn't count on the cap because he's an academy product.

QUOTE | REPLY
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5214No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27476.gif

Quote: Mike87 "It's been in force for years, you the laughs on you.'"

The 100k home grown cap cap? No it hasn't.

The 100k cap cap is replacing the long serving bonus (which is rubbish and isn't fit for purpose) and the ets dispensation (because those payments are to be made from the rfl instead of the club from now on I believe)

Even then, do you think 50k + a couple of 10k (even on a good year you're probably only looking at 5 or so players in the England team) so roughly 100k cap space is all Leeds will benefit from the new rule?

QUOTE | REPLY
204 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
204 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.57275390625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 26 Wigan Away
Once were Lo
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC