FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > How much faith do you have in the RFL?
32 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
International Star215No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2014Mar 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

When you look at where the game was in 1995, crumbling stadiums, woeful crowds, almost at deaths door, the progress to what we have today is amazing. Yes, the Skye deal has been huge but careful stewardship from the RFL especially since Lewis came on board,has seen the Skye contract renewed, attendances skyrocket in SL, player development come on in leaps and bounds, the 4 nations and world cups slowly recussitating the inernational game. The geographical spread of the game via the summer conference is also amazing. I have issues with the RFLs ringfencing of super league and the neglect of the championships but, in recent times they seem to have some plan for the future and the expansion of the championships. There have been some hiccups, Crusaders, Paris, Wakefield and Bradford come to mind and the refusal to give Keighley their rightful place in SL at the very beggining also annoyed me greatly but the overall graph of RL progress, despite some minor dips has been a gradual incline upwards. I think next years World Cup could be a massive catalyst to further positive progress for the game in this country and the way the RFL are going about organising it is more planned and structured than the four team excuse for a competiton which took place in my youthful years. I think the RFL are doing an excellent job for the most part.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6035No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11371.gif
:11371.gif

They're doing a largely excellent job, unlike some of our clubs chairmen and owners.

RankPostsTeam
International Star351No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2014Apr 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
56333_1306304220.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_56333.jpg

Whatever the right answer is, my non-heartland friends who are also sport enthusiasts have no interest in the game because it all seems a bizarre carry on to them

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6767No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG
The new young dynasty of super saints is coming to a ground near you. Welsby-Dodd-Simms-Eaves-Rizzelli, not Eastmond...the future is coming.:Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG

Gradually the RFL will de generate our game into one of insignificance with very little marketing and media presence. Richard Lewis did the same thing with British Tennis around 2003 were he turned the sport into 3rd world status.
The RFL are very good at changing the rules to sweep things under the carpet, the franchise system is basically a "glossy brochure" with deep problems under the surface.
What the "voiced clubs" are concerned about is how are they supposed to generate backers and sponsorship when the RFL themselves cannot market the game and increase media stature. The Stobart deal promising (Wood) benefits to the game of £2.5 million is just make believe.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png
[quote="dally messenger":1gysl9ow]was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have[/quote:1gysl9ow] [quote="eels fan":1gysl9ow]You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.[/quote:1gysl9ow]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6679.png

Quote: Jonesy "750K to be a Major Sponsor?

I Know that Manly were getting that from Pepsi a decade ago + bonuses.
Its a sign of things to come.'"

Daren't tell you what the Tri-Nations and then 4 Nations sponsorship was sold to Gillette for then....... d040.gif
RL commands 5%-10% of the sports pages at best and gets a couple for 250k-300k viewed programmes in the UK and then gets about 1,000,000 pairs of eyes fro the CC final...once a year.
750k for sponsorship of the main division would be about right......

BTW...Manly may well have got 750k from Pepsi a decade a go........it's 750k more than cronulla have managed to nail down this year.... c020.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2711No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2022Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
42170_1280565797.jpg
Rule 1. I am always right. Rule 2. If in any case I appear wrong, refer to rule 1.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_42170.jpg

I voted (a) to be controversial. OOOOoooOOOooOOoooOOooOOO

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner29212No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6310_1310045241.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6310.jpg

It's amazing to see how many of you have your heads in the sand.

Tthe sport is now in a really precarious position. The 14 club Super League is clearly unsustainable and the Championship clubs are either struggling through every season hoping for a better future that isn't coming or being bankrolled by benefactor's who's passing or loss of interest will see the end of the club.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png
[quote="dally messenger":1gysl9ow]was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have[/quote:1gysl9ow] [quote="eels fan":1gysl9ow]You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.[/quote:1gysl9ow]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6679.png

Quote: Saddened! "It's amazing to see how many of you have your heads in the sand.

Tthe sport is now in a really precarious position. The 14 club Super League is clearly unsustainable and the Championship clubs are either struggling through every season hoping for a better future that isn't coming or being bankrolled by benefactor's who's passing or loss of interest will see the end of the club.'"

Would you have us return to the pre-SKYTV money days? Fine by me....London had about 1,000 less fans but at least we were competative in out league icon_biggrin.gifAISY:

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner10000No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8202.jpg
[url=//www.facebook.com/wellsmotors:2svvs5eg][img:2svvs5eg]//i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd30/wellsy13/Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg[/img:2svvs5eg][/url:2svvs5eg]:8202.jpg

Quote: Judder Man "Gradually the RFL will de generate our game into one of insignificance with very little marketing and media presence. Richard Lewis did the same thing with British Tennis around 2003 were he turned the sport into 3rd world status.
The RFL are very good at changing the rules to sweep things under the carpet, the franchise system is basically a "glossy brochure" with deep problems under the surface.
What the "voiced clubs" are concerned about is how are they supposed to generate backers and sponsorship when the RFL themselves cannot market the game and increase media stature. The Stobart deal promising (Wood) benefits to the game of £2.5 million is just make believe.'"

Let's go back to pre-Lewis then. It was a far better time. I believe the year was 2001. There hadn't been relegation for a few years also. The World Cup had just cost the game millions, sending it nearly bankrupt. Two expansion sides were forced to merge with heartlands sides. The game had failed in France. The international team were still crap. The media coverage was less existent than now. The Sky deal had been reduced in money. We got knack-all from sponsors even then. Players were still going to RU such as Robinson and Harris.

Was Lewis the reason for all of them as well?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6767No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
The new young dynasty of super saints is coming to a ground near you. Welsby-Dodd-Simms-Eaves-Rizzelli, not Eastmond...the future is coming.:Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG

Quote: Wellsy13 "Let's go back to pre-Lewis then. It was a far better time. I believe the year was 2001. There hadn't been relegation for a few years also. The World Cup had just cost the game millions, sending it nearly bankrupt. Two expansion sides were forced to merge with heartlands sides. The game had failed in France. The international team were still crap. The media coverage was less existent than now. The Sky deal had been reduced in money. We got knack-all from sponsors even then. Players were still going to RU such as Robinson and Harris.

Was Lewis the reason for all of them as well?'"

Why go back to pre Lewis. We need an RFL that can raise the profile of rugby league through marketing and media. Sport is now a business and global product, Lewis and Wood can,t grasp that, that's why we can,t find a creditable blue chip sponsor to come on board to our flag ship competion.
Lewis and Wood sound like funeral directors who are undertaking ideals without transparency. I agree with some of the club chairmen who have voiced there opinion and are a bit closer to the concerns, rather than Lewis and Wood who can,t see beyond there own back yard.
Maybe we should get Sir Alan Sugar to study the business model, the probable result ................Lewis and Wood you,re FIRED.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12189No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34133_1401485799.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34133.png

Rugby League is a great product and has the sky viewing figures to prove this. A good question is do the RFL make the most of this?

I think they score about 3/10 for this.

It pains me to say this, but just look how the wigan club market games, the first TV advert for a game, "the big one" has more coverage to most people than the magic weekend does!

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner10000No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8202.jpg
[url=//www.facebook.com/wellsmotors:2svvs5eg][img:2svvs5eg]//i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd30/wellsy13/Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg[/img:2svvs5eg][/url:2svvs5eg]:8202.jpg

Quote: Judder Man "Why go back to pre Lewis. We need an RFL that can raise the profile of rugby league through marketing and media. Sport is now a business and global product, Lewis and Wood can,t grasp that, that's why we can,t find a creditable blue chip sponsor to come on board to our flag ship competion.
Lewis and Wood sound like funeral directors who are undertaking ideals without transparency. I agree with some of the club chairmen who have voiced there opinion and are a bit closer to the concerns, rather than Lewis and Wood who can,t see beyond there own back yard.'"

Why go back? Because you're talking like Lewis has taken the game backwards, which is a complete and utter lie.

Lewis has been the best administrator of our game in my lifetime and seen the game through its healthiest ever period. Who has done a better job?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6767No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Wellsy13 "Why go back? Because you're talking like Lewis has taken the game backwards, which is a complete and utter lie.

Lewis has been the best administrator of our game in my lifetime and seen the game through its healthiest ever period. Who has done a better job?'"

Lewis and Wood in my opinion have stagnated the game and we need better more profession able people on board.
I agree with Saddened that the situation is precarious, if all the backers who bankroll the clubs pull out then we would probably end up a Superleague of 3 (Leeds, Wigan and Hull) back to the pre Lewis days of an uncompetitive Superleague.
Lewis and Wood have failed on the franchise system, have failed on reducing the overseas quota to produce home grown talent, have failed on referring standards, have failed on expanding the professional game nationally, have failed on sponsorship to raise the profile of our sport.
Who would have thought it we advertise our game on the side of "some" Stobart lorries outside the public window, can compete with a team of 10 overseas players, showcase our game expansion weekend in Manchester.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner10000No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8202.jpg

Quote: Judder Man "Lewis and Wood in my opinion have stagnated the game and we need better more profession able people on board.'"

So since they came on board, there has been no development of progression at all? Really?
Quote: Judder Man "I agree with Saddened that the situation is precarious, if all the backers who bankroll the clubs pull out then we would probably end up a Superleague of 3 (Leeds, Wigan and Hull) back to the pre Lewis days of an uncompetitive Superleague.'"

Why is that Lewis and Wood's faults? It's the same in any pro sport. You're just picking anything now. If anything, it's good that the sport is in a place to attract such investors.
Quote: Judder Man "Lewis and Wood have failed on the franchise system, have failed on reducing the overseas quota to produce home grown talent, have failed on referring standards, have failed on expanding the professional game nationally, have failed on sponsorship to raise the profile of our sport.
Who would have thought it we advertise our game on the side of "some" Stobart lorries outside the public window, can compete with a team of 10 overseas players, showcase our game expansion weekend in Manchester.'"

So they've failed on a franchise system that has forced clubs to improve standards? They've failed to reduce the overseas quota despite putting a new system in place that will eventually get us around the Kolpak ruling (that effectively meant it was unlimited before) once all the exceptions have retired (can't break the law can we). There are more players eligible and being talked about for international honours now than ever. There are three additional semi-pro clubs with four more to come. They have successfully expanded into Europe professionally (only administration to do this).

But yeah, the game hasn't moved since they came in. In fact it's gone backwards icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner10000No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8202.jpg

Quote: Saint Simon "Rugby League is a great product and has the sky viewing figures to prove this. A good question is do the RFL make the most of this?

I think they score about 3/10 for this.

It pains me to say this, but just look how the wigan club market games, the first TV advert for a game, "the big one" has more coverage to most people than the magic weekend does!'"

Why is it do difficult for some people to understand that viewing figures aren't the be-all and end-all of TV deals and sponsorship?

32 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
32 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.01025390625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 27
Broadacres
4m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
6m