Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27_1469093054.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_27.jpg

Quote: Saddened! "What you backwards Goons fail to understand is that Wigan DID have enough money to keep him, they just chose to use it to pay NRL players, thus further undermining the England team's chances.'"

So you think Wigan should have paid £60k-£70k for an 18 year old who had never played in the first team because he didn't want a full-time contract so he could finish his A-Levels?

You really need some new material - either that or at least string a decent argument together that can't be blown out of the water in an instant.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11377
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2960.jpg
:2960.jpg

Quote: Batesy "This thread is unbelievable. Name me one more side that has debuted more players in Super League this season than Wigan.'"

The point is that NINE non England eligible players have played for Wigan this year and you are likely to have EIGHT next season.

Two of the four players leaving to allow the new three aren't playing regular first team (Feka and Phelps) where as the incoming players certainly will - so next season, there will actually be a reduction in places in the Wigan first team for England eligible players in real terms.

From what I understand, Riddell/Phelps/Feka/Bailey will be off. That leaves Roberts/Carmont/Richards/Tommy/Hansen/Hoffman/Finch/Lima - 8 non England eligible players.

It is precisely because your youth set-up is so good that those sorts of numbers are so unpalatable.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman31082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

i am slighly annoyed, not to mentoion nautious that I am being forced to agree with Wigan fans.

please stop this thread now

tb
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman48326
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1357.jpg
[b:34xc0vwf]Doubt everything, even this[/b:34xc0vwf]:1357.jpg

Quote: Code13 "nautious '"

seasick??

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman31082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

See (no pun intended) thats how bad its made me feel.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner29212No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6310_1310045241.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6310.jpg

Quote: Wigan/Leeds Andy "So you think Wigan should have paid £60k-£70k for an 18 year old who had never played in the first team because he didn't want a full-time contract so he could finish his A-Levels?

You really need some new material - either that or at least string a decent argument together that can't be blown out of the water in an instant.'"

An instant 10 pages there. icon_lol.gif

Wigan are not acting with the wider interests of the sport's future at heart. It has been very heartening this season to see all but one of the teams in SL put faith in English players and cut the numbers of overseas players. Look at Harlequins, who could now field an all English 17, despite the precarious nature of their very existence they have taken the view that the sport as a whole would benefit if England players were fielded, thus giving the sport a viable international aspect. Wigan are, as ever given their dark history, so blinded by the glint of silver from across the hill at successful clubs like Saints and Warrington that they would do literally anything to get around the rules and wring out any possible advantage. Now the live cap has meant blatant cheating is now no longer easy to do they look to other ways in order to go outside the spirit of not only the cap but also the sport and in this case look for dodgy, probably illegal passport loopholes to ensure they have twice as many overseas players as anyone else.

eusa_snooty.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4389No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2019Dec 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45452.jpg
[i:2v2cei1t]'You put your Wendell in, You take your Brownie out, You put your Bennett in, And you make it to the 8, You do the Oki Chokie, And you get knocked out, Thats what St George are about' [/i:2v2cei1t] [quote="dally messenger":2v2cei1t]parra had no ball and still looked like scoring all the time[/quote:2v2cei1t] [quote="The Chief":2v2cei1t]What a knob Barrie MacKenzie is.[/quote:2v2cei1t] [quote="gutterfax":2v2cei1t]I like Bazza. He chose the name of a cross dressing Austalian institutions other persona.....and is your typical Aussie w@nker living in London whilst he tries to get some culture by visiting Prague to get pi55ed on Cheap Star, getting a fondle from a dodgy hooker in amsterdam and eating a snail for a bet when in paris. All of these things will make him a cultural icon when his visa runs out and he is sent the way of his great grandparents....alas, not in chains this time.[/quote:2v2cei1t] NEW COMPETITION COMING SOON!! YOU COULD BE THE NEXT BARRY McKENZIE!! WATCH THIS SPACE!! Barry McKenzie can be contacted at aussielegendbaz@gmail.com:45452.jpg

Quote: Saddened! "An instant 10 pages there.

Welcome to the world of sports clubs being run as successful businesses.

The English Premier League have been doing it for as long as I can remember.

How many poms play for that great 'English' side Arsenal these days?

You hire players to play for your club on their abilities........not for any other reason. It doesnt matter if its soccer, Rugby Union, League or any other sport.

Same goes for the England cricket side.

Their best players are Saffas

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14322
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27_1469093054.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_27.jpg

Quote: Saddened! "An instant 10 pages there.
Notice you couldn't respond to the facts around Thornley.

The fact people like yourself are so blinded and obsessed with Wigan that you have to keep this going for 10 pages says it all. icon_lol.gif

Add in the fact you have to allege illegally as well tells us everything we need to know about you. Wigan's dominance ended well over ten years ago, get over it Saddo.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1824No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2013Jul 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47997_1274724262.jpg
Ers tha' geet bitter on?:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47997.jpg

Quote: FearTheVee "There are 9 non-England eligible players in your list, so you'll have 8 next year if you drop by one. That is FAR too many for a club like Wigan.'"

I'm guessing you've included Harrison Hansen there? If you want to split hairs Hansen is of Samoan descent and is just as England-eligible as Willie Manu, who was included in last weeks England training squad. Why is 8 out of a squad of 33 too many for Wigan but not too many for anyone else?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach778No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2011May 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp098.gif
2011 IS GOING TO BE OUR YEAR!!:simpsons/simp098.gif

Quote: Barry_McKenzie "Welcome to the world of sports clubs being run as successful businesses.

The English Premier League have been doing it for as long as I can remember.

How many poms play for that great 'English' side Arsenal these days? Remind me when was the last time they won a trophy (the emirates cup does not count
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11377
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2960.jpg
:2960.jpg

Quote: dirtbag83 "I'm guessing you've included Harrison Hansen there? If you want to split hairs Hansen is of Samoan descent and is just as England-eligible as Willie Manu, who was included in last weeks England training squad. Why is 8 out of a squad of 33 too many for Wigan but not too many for anyone else?'"

It's too many for everyone. It is especially noticeable at Wigan because they have a very strong youth set up and a chairman that not long ago was talking about his dream of an all English team but now looks to double the quota for his club.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach572No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2014Feb 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50527_1317144988.jpg
[img:vgqpk0ji]http://i51.tinypic.com/aax15v.jpg[/img:vgqpk0ji] Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire. Work is the curse of the drinking class [quote="Rogues Gallery":vgqpk0ji]I thought being a Saints fan was being an idiot :D[/quote:vgqpk0ji] [quote="Stevo":vgqpk0ji]Sam isn't the biggest, but he's as tough as concrete and smooth as silk[/quote:vgqpk0ji]League Express 4th October 2010 [quote "Dave Woods"]Here comes Charnley, putting the foot down, stepping Meli, Oh My Word He Hypnotized Them, They Didn't Know Where He Was. Josh Charnley turned St Helens Inside Out.[/quote] CCSF 6/8/11:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50527.jpg

Quote: ExiledWool "That makes it ok then. Just who is being released?'"

so your team DONT have any overseas players then.
and how many academy players have your team supplied to all the other teams in the leagues because there are too many of them to play in their home town team or the first team of the academy that trained them up?

by the way thicko you can not have more overseas players than the quota allows!!!!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

i think people are confusing Wigans youth development and overseas players. Those these are obviously linked, they arent the same. Wigan do have good youth development, nobody can sensibly deny that. They are up there with Leeds, Saints and maybe Hull as being the leaders in that respect.

But they are still going into next season with 8 overseas players, 3 of them new ones. Its an unacceptably high amount for Wigan, and its unacceptable for leeds to have 7.

Its the same at Leeds, whilst i would encourage us to bring in players the quality of Webb, Lauitiiti, Buderus and Eastwood, we should be forced to develop the Donalds, Lueluais, and Delanys ourselves.

Wigan are in a similar position. they should be forced to bring through decent english players instead of bringing in decent australian players. Who knows how much Ainscough would have improved the deficencies in his game had wigan been forced to persist with him, giving him SL game time over the past 2 years rather than just lumping for a Roberts or a Phelps.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2016Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47567_1459269569.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47567.jpg

Quote: FearTheVee "There are 9 non-England eligible players in your list, so you'll have 8 next year if you drop by one. That is FAR too many for a club like Wigan.'"

For a club like Wigan? If we are signing players within the rules (which we are), and have a squad that fits both the salary cap and quota restrictions (which we do) then it CANNOT be "too many". Can it? In your opinion as a fan of a rival team it may not appeal to you, but it cannot actually be too many.

It seems people are making out that Wigan are breaking a secret code of conduct or "spirit of the game" by replacing current players with better players, shouldn't every club aspire to bring the best possible talent to their club in order to succeed? Of course ideally these players would be English, but if English players of sufficient calibre are not available, why should a team suffer? Wigan ARE producing quality young players, this can be seen in the likes of Farrell, Tuson, Sam and Joel tomkins, Charnley. But of course some aren't going to meet the standards required and so will leave the club. Others will be offered more money from other clubs. These players playing in super league, albeit at different clubs, still benefits the English game though doesn't it?

Ok so Thornley is a different case as he has left the sport. But as the point has been made already, no rugby league club signed him. He never even played first team rugby for Wigan. How many of you saying how great a loss he is actually saw him play and know how good he is? I'm a wigan fan who lives outside of wigan, I don't get to watch the under 20's etc and i've never seen him play. So i'm sure many of those lambasting Wigan for releasing such a quality young player are just jumping on the bandwagon, having never seen him play.

The problem I see is that with the quota being reduced the price of English players is surely being raised, as clubs need to sign more quality English players. Could the issue be that some overseas players are actually better value than equivalent English players? In my opinion the best way to approach the issue is not to attack the clubs signing overseas players, but look at why they are doing it. As has been said before, if home-grown players, or even english players, didn't count fully on the cap then maybe you'd see players like Thornely being offered more money (admittedly probably more than their worth) to stay?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Dave26 "
The problem I see is that with the quota being reduced the price of English players is surely being raised, as clubs need to sign more quality English players. Could the issue be that some overseas players are actually better value than equivalent English players? In my opinion the best way to approach the issue is not to attack the clubs signing overseas players, but look at why they are doing it. As has been said before, if home-grown players, or even english players, didn't count fully on the cap then maybe you'd see players like Thornely being offered more money (admittedly probably more than their worth) to stay?'"

they are doing it because it is easier, and a overseas players do provide better value.

They provide better value because we simply dont have that many english players coming through, so a 2nd/3rd tier aussie stuggling to make any money out in Aus like Charlie Leeano can come over here and get a decent full time wage. Sadly Leeano as probably a 4th tier australian as as good as most british players. So yes, they get better value and it is easier, why wouldnt they.

Thornley is a red herring, we should be producing 30 of him a year. But we arent. Why would a club spend all that money on developing him, spend all that money on his coaches, offer him a good contract if they can go out and get a ready made George Carmont? they wont, they are looking to seek a competitive advantage and there is a ton of them ready and waiting down under.

We need to make it in the clubs benefit to bring in huge numbers of youngters.

Thats not absolve the clubs though, they have been selfish and short-termist and failed in their duty to the sport

183 posts in 13 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
183 posts in 13 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.08056640625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Staying or Not
Les Norton
16m
New Players
Deadcowboys1
27m