JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Stupid question I guess? But why are us RL fans so obsessed with expanding the game far and wide? Were so concerned with pushing the game to Wales, London and now Canada. For me, I'm proud to love a sport that is so strong in Halifax, Batley, Wigan, Hull, Castleford etc. If it doesn't catch on outside of Northern England and Australia then fair enough, we'll keep it to ourselves!

Is there anyone else that feels this way or am I just weird??

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner29212No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6310_1310045241.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6310.jpg

Quote: Halifax1989 "Stupid question I guess? But why are us RL fans so obsessed with expanding the game far and wide? Were so concerned with pushing the game to Wales, London and now Canada. For me, I'm proud to love a sport that is so strong in Halifax, Batley, Wigan, Hull, Castleford etc. If it doesn't catch on outside of Northern England and Australia then fair enough, we'll keep it to ourselves!

Is there anyone else that feels this way or am I just weird??'"

To be fair, most Yorkshire folk are similarly insular.

In this case, it's not really an expansion-obsessed RFL doing this. It's the RL-obsessed owner of the Toronto outfit demanding a place in Super League and them saying he has to prove logistical and financial viablity by surviving in the lower leagues, in which a rapid exit would have far less impact on the reputation and commercial footing of the sport in this country.

To be honest if it works, fabulous. If it doesn't, we'll deny all knowledge that it ever existed. You can call how it will go already. Big crowd for opening game in Canada, diminishing crowds thereafter. 'Based in Bradford' whilst in the UK will become 'Based in Bradford' permanently with the only Toronto reference being the name and ultimately all their players becoming overseas player exempt and getting snapped up by Wakefield. icon_wink.gif

But to be fair if it works, why not? The world would be our oyster then and we could offer franchises to rich RL enthusiasts globally. Are you telling me an away trip for the Fax Blue Sox against Dubai Destroyers wouldn't be appealing? Or an away game at Mallorca Marlins? Or Las Vegas Leviathans? Could bring much needed colour and $$£$£$ to the sport, or not. But why not try?

RankPostsTeam
International Star461No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Saddened! "Are you telling me an away trip for the Fax Blue Sox against Dubai Destroyers wouldn't be appealing? Or an away game at Mallorca Marlins? Or Las Vegas Leviathans? Could bring much needed colour and $$£$£$ to the sport, or not. But why not try?'"

This is just my point. I feel like the correct answer is yes. But actually, if I really think about it, Im quite happy watching Fax v Braford, Leigh, Dewsbury etc. Clubs with history, support, rivalry.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman4159No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2019Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1602.jpg
Sad preacher nailed upon the coloured door of time; Insane teacher be there reminded of the rhyme. There'll be no mutant enemy we shall certify; Political ends, as sad remains, will die.:1602.jpg

RL is centred in Batley, Hunslet, Oldham and Leigh as those places had large populations attracted by employment opportunities that came from the Industrial Revolution. Places like Flockton failed to attract the support (numerical and financial) that Dewsbury had.

A hundred years' later, we still have the population there but the places are changing. New towns are attracting the 18-30 year olds. Why shouldn't our business not try to capture this market? Our existing market has reduced over the last 40 years (I 've been there). The pits and mills have gone. Too many locals are on minimal wage zero-hour contracts.

The question I want asking is why can we not move into the big conurbations? We try and fail.
Hull, Leeds ... then token presence in Sheffield. Salford, Oldham and Hornets are not Manchester even if Salford gets close to it. London seems to have failed, Newcastle is still too new to be judged.

RankPostsTeam
International Star461No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Hillbilly_Red "RL is centred in Batley, Hunslet, Oldham and Leigh as those places had large populations attracted by employment opportunities that came from the Industrial Revolution. Places like Flockton failed to attract the support (numerical and financial) that Dewsbury had.

A hundred years' later, we still have the population there but the places are changing. New towns are attracting the 18-30 year olds. Why shouldn't our business not try to capture this market? Our existing market has reduced over the last 40 years (I 've been there). The pits and mills have gone. Too many locals are on minimal wage zero-hour contracts.

The question I want asking is why can we not move into the big conurbations? We try and fail.
Hull, Leeds ... then token presence in Sheffield. Salford, Oldham and Hornets are not Manchester even if Salford gets close to it. London seems to have failed, Newcastle is still too new to be judged.'"

The fact that it's a "working class" sport bothers me just as little as that its a Northern sport.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12491
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2358_1651040874.jpg
Wakefield TRINITY:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2358.jpg

Quote: Halifax1989 "Stupid question I guess? But why are us RL fans so obsessed with expanding the game far and wide? Were so concerned with pushing the game to Wales, London and now Canada. For me, I'm proud to love a sport that is so strong in Halifax, Batley, Wigan, Hull, Castleford etc. If it doesn't catch on outside of Northern England and Australia then fair enough, we'll keep it to ourselves!

Get your tin hat on asking that on the VT! icon_biggrin.gifOH:

RankPostsTeam
International Star394No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I agree that we shouldn't just plop random clubs just for the sake of it. like wales,London etc..

but where I think we need to concentrate and really push for is to add at least one more French team into SL.

The south of France is the only other relative hotbed of RL outside of the heartlands and the RFL need to stop pandering to Batley, Fev etc... who have 100 years to construct a successful club and look to use the Catalan example in large French markets like Toulouse

RankPostsTeam
International Star461No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I'm not anti expansion, I'm just happy with what we have!

I agree with the above post, dont see the South of France an expanding the game, theyve been playing it for years!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7392No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20337_1416501684.jpg
Mac out!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_20337.jpg

Quote: "Stupid question I guess? But why are us RL fans so obsessed with expanding the game far and wide? Were so concerned with pushing the game to Wales, London and now Canada. For me, I'm proud to love a sport that is so strong in Halifax, Batley, Wigan, Hull, Castleford etc. If it doesn't catch on outside of Northern England and Australia then fair enough, we'll keep it to ourselves!

Why did we move from steam to diesal to electrification. Steam worked.

Sponsorship, wealthy backing, TV deals etc etc dictates sport these days. The wider the audience .......

The world moves on and is ever changing. Union and other threats will strangle the sport and kill it off

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman12792
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1506.jpg
[quote:18jc6kzm]I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote:18jc6kzm]Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote="Jamie Jones-Buchanan":18jc6kzm]"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.[/quote:18jc6kzm]:1506.jpg

Because ultimately, professional sport is increasingly commercial and if we are going to continue to improve standards, improve stadia, retain our best players and improve the coaching and facilities that will provide new ones, the sport needs to generate revenue. If it doesn't, it stagnates at best, and withers and dies at worst - at least in a professional form.

More of that revenue needs to come from the commercial sector and, like it or not, places like Batley, Castleford and Whitehaven are not the sort of places that have enormous commercial appeal to many, many organisations out there.

I have no issue with having clubs in those places, and you're absolutely right that they have a very important role to play, but we can't carry on keeping what we call "the greatest game" to ourselves. There are valuable audiences out there that, not only do we want our clubs to be attracting, but the companies that we want to support our game want to be selling products to and broadcasters want to be selling subscriptions to.

This isn't about 'expansion for expansion sake' - any effort to grow the sport has to be done carefully, has to be strategically planned and has to be fully supported - but this is about making the sport more commercially appealing and attracting new audiences. Sorry to break it to you, but London and Toronto are much more commercially attractive than Featherstone and Rochdale.

The heartlands clubs have had long enough to demonstrate that they can grow the sport. A few exceptions aside, they've shown that they can't. The existing clubs in the game aren't keeping pace with the commercial revenue in other sports, the clubs in the game aren't growing attendances at a particularly remarkable rate and central funding isn't keeping pace with our key competitors. I fail to see how not expanding our appeal beyond the M62 changes that.

RankPostsTeam
International Star990No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

There's been a lot of guff on here since the Toronto announcement so I'll try and answer your question fairly.

There are two main reasons I want to see our sport expand and grow.

The first is I want a genuinely competitive international game, the only way to do this is to expand player pools and give more players opportunities to play at a higher level. Now we could suggest that a SL club pick up a Canadian kid, but the kids aren't even playing rugby league because it has no presence there. A club will change this. (Just using Canda as an example btw same could go for a million other places).

My second reason is because I truly believe if we don't push forward, the sport will die on its feet. Some of the great clubs of the past which you speak of simply don't want to or cannot grow to a level where it is worth them being in the top league. Take featherstone as an example it's not their fault that geographically they are never going to attract big crowds when competing with a handful of other clubs in the immediate area.
If an expansion club can feasibly attract a decent crowd at home, are financially stable and looking to compete, while also giving access to new punters, players and other revenue steams then they deserve a chance to grow and do this. Hell a lot of Super League clubs haven't even managed what I've just listed over the last 10+ years.

I'd add that I am not just advocating we throw a dart into a world map and see if it sticks. I like the Toronto idea because there is a clear vision and good set of people behind it and opens a completely new market. I'd like to see us look at Sheffield and Cumbria because it would allow a pathway to two new areas whilst staying within somewhere where we have a presence. But I don't think neither of the clubs in Cumbria or Sheffield have the infrastructure robe a sound option. Similarly Wales and London have produced a great deal of SL players but would need the right people behind the scenes to be financially viable.

Finally I've got nothing against the clubs you mentioned as liking, I miss going to Odsal and and am looking forward to Catalan trying to climb mount pleasant in the cup, and great many good SL players have cut their teeth in the Championship, but their are a great many of these clubs I wouldn't see the point of in SL.

The more I think about it the more I wish we'd stuck with liscencing and done it properly.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman7594
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021May 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8_1434361123.jpg
When my club didn't exist it was still bigger than yours:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_8.jpg

None of the places it is played and loved in this country has any kind if cultural relevance whatsoever. Even within this region, never mind nationally or internationally. Expansion beyond this region helps.

Sydney does. Success in Australia, and many of the places within its sphere of influence.

T'ronto does too. Not in the same way, because North America is full of cities on that scale. But nationally within Canada it definitely does.

I am also happy with what I have. Even post relegation. I love the history, I love the culture but more than any of that I love the game. Reliance on us, because of who and where we are, will not save it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Halifax1989 "This is just my point. I feel like the correct answer is yes. But actually, if I really think about it, Im quite happy watching Fax v Braford, Leigh, Dewsbury etc. Clubs with history, support, rivalry.'"

thats fine.

But oddly it was more fans of the Fax's, Leigh's and Dewsbury's who were vehemently against a structure where those smaller clubs played each other and other clubs elsewhere were the place the newer clubs from bigger cities would join.

It was far more the fans of the Leigh's, Fax's and Dewsburys who demanded that a club like Toronto go through their leagues.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach8679
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
14002_1637716780.jpg
"I know you've had a bad day, but there's no need to take it out on me":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_14002.jpg

Quote: Wildthing "Get your tin hat on asking that on the VT!
Fully agreed Wildthing, it's very brave of Halifax1989 to do so ! icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star461No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I did brace myself!

41 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
41 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.1103515625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Rumours thread
Khlav Kalash
18m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
chapylad
32m