JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Yesterday I glanced at some of the other West Yorkshire club forums . Given our understandable concentration on matters financial over the past few months as we lurch from one crisis to the next, I thought I'd try to remember what it feels like to be a fan expectantly looking forward to a new campaign. You all remember-- . Speculation about which players are declining which youngsters will break through , what tactics the coach will use etc.
Amongst the threads I came across a thread on the Rhinos board which asks their fans to predict the 2014 season. If our team needs any motivation they only have to look there. Everyone predicts London in last spot and a large majority have us in 13th place. There are no obvious gloats or insults. I gained the impression that not only are we written off but are completely disregarded. I think I prefer the traditional tone of fierce rivalry even when it descends into taunting rather than being discounted as totally out of the mix.
Personally I believe the squad as it stands today is an improvement on the last 2 seasons-- better balanced with a few of the younger players at the point of proving themselves in the league. If (and I know it's a big if ) we can avoid losing more than a couple of players , I am cautiously optimistic of mid table with a decent run in the cup.
What do others think?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

Will we start the season?

If so, with what squad?

If we do, will we finish the season?

I think those questions will do me for now. At least in recent times we had someone to moan at for ignoring the fan base, now we haven't even got that. Our pre-season consists of the odd cryptic self-interested claim and counterclaim when the local rag can be bothered to report anything, and the fiasco over who may or may not own or run the club shows no sign of abating, so those who have us finishing ahead of anybody could arguably be said to be the wildest optimists.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31835
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

IF we manage to start and finish the season with the squad we have I think we’ll finish around 10th-12th. We may have a bit of quality and a better balance than last year but the overall quality and more importantly depth of the squad isn’t there to get in the top 8 yet. Widnes surely must improve and Cas will be better. Our main rivals will be Wakey who are starting from scratch. London’s fortunes are as hard to predict as our own but at least they’re sure to begin the season!

RankPostsTeam
International Star3534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

IF the squad stays the same,I really believe we will make the 8.I think we are a lot stronger this year.Lulia and Heath are big losses,but all the players that have come in are an improvement on who they have replaced.Henry is unknown so he too could be a very good signing.Carvell for Langley?,Ferguson is definately better than Bateman at this moment in time,Bateman is potential at the moment.George for Platt,Gaskell will definately add something we didn't have last season.Quite optimistic,in a strange way

RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1271.jpg
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain Build Bridges NOT Walls:1271.jpg

Quote: Bullseye "IF we manage to start and finish the season with the squad we have I think we’ll finish around 10th-12th. We may have a bit of quality and a better balance than last year but the overall quality and more importantly depth of the squad isn’t there to get in the top 8 yet. Widnes surely must improve and Cas will be better. Our main rivals will be Wakey who are starting from scratch. London’s fortunes are as hard to predict as our own but at least they’re sure to begin the season!'"

Pretty sure you've nailed our situation, though I think you have to add Salford to the list of improvers. I suspect they'll maybe start off with a few 'getting to know you' games, but a combo of Nobby and a bottomless bag of cash spells a decent side over the season.

As you imply, much will depend on [iexactly[/i what our squad is when the curtain goes up, though, for some reason, I feel pretty confident we'll make the starting gun. Must confess I haven't booked anything for Catalans as yet though, which maybe suggests I'm not quite as confident as I pretend..

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31835
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

Bulliac I have Salford finishing 8th or 9th. They'll take time to gel but they have enough solid experienced pros to make a big improvement on last year.

Hope you’re proved right Roger. I hope Adam Henry proves to be decent. I still have memories of Platt and Sykes in the centres and how our fringe defence was awful. Carvell will give us something extra especially with his offloads and Gaskell will provided much needed competition for places at halfback.

When everyone’s fit and in form we are top 8 material. I just don’t think we have the depth to manage it over a full season. How we cope with Easter will be key. Last year there were too many missed tackles and losses of concentration, often I expect due to loss of form, injury and fatigue. I expect the kids like Mellor and Roberts to get plenty of games as a result.

If we start to lose players to make ends meet it’ll be even tougher as I don’t expect replacements to be off the same quality.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1149
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2019Nov 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Almost two separate competitions this year: placing in the top 8, and avoiding the bottom two places.
Realistically we are in the second one with probably London, Wakey, Cas and Widnes - assuming of course London don't get special "expansion" treatment if they finish in the bottom two. I do think the squad we currently have is better than 2013 - but with such small squads the finally positioning will likely come down to who can best keep the players in shape for the longest

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach5879No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13517.jpg
:13517.jpg

As of right now I'd say we have a stronger 17 than London, Wakey, Cas and Widnes. How that will change between now and the start of the season, and how often injuries actually allow us to name something close to our strongest 17, will determine whether we actually finish above any or all of those teams.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5214No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27476.gif
:CROWN: I am the hash browns of rlfans :CROWN::27476.gif

Quote: Bullnorthern "Yesterday I glanced at some of the other West Yorkshire club forums . Given our understandable concentration on matters financial over the past few months as we lurch from one crisis to the next, I thought I'd try to remember what it feels like to be a fan expectantly looking forward to a new campaign. You all remember-- . Speculation about which players are declining which youngsters will break through , what tactics the coach will use etc.
Amongst the threads I came across a thread on the Rhinos board which asks their fans to predict the 2014 season. If our team needs any motivation they only have to look there. Everyone predicts London in last spot and a large majority have us in 13th place. There are no obvious gloats or insults. I gained the impression that not only are we written off but are completely disregarded. I think I prefer the traditional tone of fierce rivalry even when it descends into taunting rather than being discounted as totally out of the mix.
Personally I believe the squad as it stands today is an improvement on the last 2 seasons-- better balanced with a few of the younger players at the point of proving themselves in the league. If (and I know it's a big if ) we can avoid losing more than a couple of players , I am cautiously optimistic of mid table with a decent run in the cup.
What do others think?'"

For me, as an outsiders, I'm in a catch 22 when predicting the fortunes of Bradford next year: if you keep the same squad together, I'm not convinced you'll see the end of the season, it is pretty much the same finances that has failed two times all over again. If you have a fire sale, similar to Wakefield, I can't see who you can bring into the squad to give you a fighting chance (especially as you'll be fighting with London for signatures)

Both options don't leave me with much hope for next season for bradford

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31835
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg

It was said by the directors that if any player was sold then a replacement would be brought in. It might be a player of lesser ability or for a different position but there would be a replacement. I think the issue might be would has the money and space under the cap to buy any of our better players. I can see that they would want to offload the high earners first but these may not necessarily be wanted by other clubs as they’d not be value for money. Then of course the player himself has to agree to the move.

As you say that could leave us struggling to make savings. Could make life interesting.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1271.jpg
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain Build Bridges NOT Walls:1271.jpg

Quote: Magic Superbeetle "For me, as an outsiders, I'm in a catch 22 when predicting the fortunes of Bradford next year

Hard to say mate, there was supposedly other sponsorship waiting to be announced, though no -one knows if this still exists or if it has taken flight [and you couldn't blame then if they did] though, with the most recent set of directors coming back maybe there is still a chance this will materialise.

I don''t know if the 400K 'savings' included these 'new' sponsors or not, so I'll assume it didn't and hope they [if they DO come on board] make sufficient difference that maybe we don't actually need to find the full 400...course, I may be just clutching at straws and searching for rainbows and the 400K hole is just waiting to appear in our squad [and believe it or not there are people on here who would be delighted - just so they could say "told you so"]. If we do have to lose 2 or maybe 3 of our better players then we could be in trouble, but if we can get away with only losing only one.... Mmm, well maybe we'll live to fight another day - there are too many ifs and buts to be definite about anything, to be honest.
'

RankPostsTeam
International Star1149
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2019Nov 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

It's that old chestnut again about the real cost of star players - as it is often these guys who attract sponsors to a club and fans through the gate.

Don't envy the position the directors find themselves in, it would be a mighty task even without the baggage and squabbles which seem to dog the club

RankPostsTeam
International Star1011No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022Apr 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The directors say that they found this £400k shortfall quickly. I am wondering if the loss of L’Estrange, Bateman and even the young fullback will be counted in their required savings. That would be 2 good earners gone and a small (estimated £18k - £20k) amount. If they do and then add the redundancies that could add up to a substantial saving already. Hopefully a bit more sponsorship and that £400k could come down very quickly. Again, if these 3 players wages are counted then we may not need to lose many more. Hopefully they will get the ownership sorted next week and new sponsors can come on board in time for the game in 2 week’s time.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2645No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

bringing players in aint going to be easy, you have managed to keep what you have got at least for the present. Wakey sold players, reduced contract payents and replaced with players on a reduced cntract. With the exception of smith i think wakefield have replaced well.I wish you and london all the best for next year, but will not be upset if you both finish below wakey. London have taken a risk, releasing its players at the end of last season . Ok it hasnt had contracts to pay in the off season, but it aint got a squad. Could be they know more about promotion and relegation than they are saying. THEY SHOULD NOT RECEIVE ANY KIND OF FAVOUR should they finish in the bottom 2 if promotion and relegation go a head. All the best

RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1271.jpg

Quote: woolly07 "The directors say that they found this £400k shortfall quickly. I am wondering if the loss of L’Estrange, Bateman and even the young fullback will be counted in their required savings. That would be 2 good earners gone and a small (estimated £18k - £20k) amount. If they do and then add the redundancies that could add up to a substantial saving already. Hopefully a bit more sponsorship and that £400k could come down very quickly. Again, if these 3 players wages are counted then we may not need to lose many more. Hopefully they will get the ownership sorted next week and new sponsors can come on board in time for the game in 2 week’s time.'"

If they'd found it really quickly, you might have expected them to find the problems under a 'due diligence' examination of the business before they actually signed the deal with OK? That would have saved an awful lot of bother.

My impression [and that's all it is -[imy impression[/i] is that Mark Moore and Ian Watt, came in maybe like so many local business people have historically done, with their fans' woolly hats on rather than their businessmen's bowlers and that the poor forward financial planning only came to light when it came under Andrew Calvert's, more experienced, gaze.

You've got to be hopeful, I suppose, and there have been a few people leaving since the end of the season, though most would have been before the announcement so would probably have been accounted for.

Best thing for us would be a surge in season tickets - though that is very unlikely after the the end of the 'early bird' prices, and some bumper walk up crowds for the friendlies and early league games.........oh, and with us winning the lot and drawing even bigger crowds for the next games...Now that would put a big dent in our 'big hole' in the finances.....well, if it's possible to put a dent in a hole, that is. icon_smile.gif

56 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
56 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.90673828125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Grand final Tickets
apollosghost
9m
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
12m