JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Got to admit that I've never really liked Diskin. Probably more to do with the fact he played for Leeds than anything to do with his ability.

If I had to guess why we've signed him I'd say that its because a quality number 9 has become available and this signing may be instead of signing scrum half cover. With a fully fit squad we have 3 hookers. If our scrum half gets injured again (Orford at the moment) then I bet Le'Strange will provide the cover and we still have 2 quality hookers available, unlike last year.

After this signing I wouldn't expect another scrum half to be signed unless Orford goes. That said, nothing will suprise me this year.

mat
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9553
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Sensei-Bull "Got to admit that I've never really liked Diskin. Probably more to do with the fact he played for Leeds than anything to do with his ability.

If I had to guess why we've signed him I'd say that its because a quality number 9 has become available and this signing may be instead of signing scrum half cover. With a fully fit squad we have 3 hookers. If our scrum half gets injured again (Orford at the moment) then I bet Le'Strange will provide the cover and we still have 2 quality hookers available, unlike last year.

After this signing I wouldn't expect another scrum half to be signed unless Orford goes. That said, nothing will suprise me this year.'"

tbh I wouldnt have a problem with that. we need to sign 2 halves now, a quality standoff and a quality scrum half to replace Orford. As nbackup we have kearney/royston/sykes for standoff and l'estrange/addy/southernwood for scrum half. whilst I dont think addy or southernwood are ready to step up and play a full season I'm quite happy to have them as cover.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach763No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45060_1394807359.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45060.jpg

I thought last year that I thought that in L'estrange and Wagga we had two "impact" hookers, who are handy when coming off the bench to run at tired defences, but neither of them IMO really had the ability to dictate the pace of the game early on.

For me Leeds had the total opposite with two players that I would call starting hookers, who play smart and push the team around the field, helping them to get a roll on and win the arm-wrestle.

I feel that Diskin will play as our starting number 9, and compose the team, then Heath or Wagga, providing they both stay will come on to test the opposition.

mat
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9553
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: beefy1 "I thought last year that I thought that in L'estrange and Wagga we had two "impact" hookers, who are handy when coming off the bench to run at tired defences, but neither of them IMO really had the ability to dictate the pace of the game early on.

For me Leeds had the total opposite with two players that I would call starting hookers, who play smart and push the team around the field, helping them to get a roll on and win the arm-wrestle.

I feel that Diskin will play as our starting number 9, and compose the team, then Heath or Wagga, providing they both stay will come on to test the opposition.'"

when diskin was first mentioned yesterday I thought l'estrange would start and diskin off the bench but the more I think about it the more I like the thought off diskin starting. He's a solid hooker who directs the team round. we then bring on l'estrange (who's best attribut is his breaks from dummy half) against a tiring defence. Potentially a very useful combination imo.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1337No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Sep 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/MINOTAUR.JPG
Crude and slow Whino, your attack was no better than that of a clumsy child.:Others/MINOTAUR.JPG

Quote: mat "when diskin was first mentioned yesterday I thought l'estrange would start and diskin off the bench but the more I think about it the more I like the thought off diskin starting. He's a solid hooker who directs the team round. we then bring on l'estrange (who's best attribut is his breaks from dummy half) against a tiring defence. Potentially a very useful combination imo.'"

And Godwin?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons3ae4_files/4541-162reymo-msnicons.jpg
If your not cheating, your not trying. Barrie Mcdermott:icons3ae4_files/4541-162reymo-msnicons.jpg

Quote: beefy1 "I thought last year that I thought that in L'estrange and Wagga we had two "impact" hookers, who are handy when coming off the bench to run at tired defences, but neither of them IMO really had the ability to dictate the pace of the game early on.

I feel that Diskin will play as our starting number 9, and compose the team, then Heath or Wagga, providing they both stay will come on to test the opposition.'"

cant really fault that Diskin is not gonna set the world on fire but he is solid, and will be a good signing. Good luck to him, think this is a case of the best deal for all concerned. He never really worked well coming off the bench for us and i hope he goes well for you

mat
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9553
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: JUDGE666 "And Godwin?'"

injury cover for diskin/lestrange, maybe give him a go at loose forward? If he isnt happy with that then I expect we'll be seeing him leave. Always liked wagga but he isnt in the same league as diskin/l'estrange imo.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31835
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

Quote: mat "when diskin was first mentioned yesterday I thought l'estrange would start and diskin off the bench but the more I think about it the more I like the thought off diskin starting. He's a solid hooker who directs the team round. we then bring on l'estrange (who's best attribut is his breaks from dummy half) against a tiring defence. Potentially a very useful combination imo.'"

I agree with all of that.

We need some solidity in the middle of the field and Diskin provides that. At 28 he's still got plenty of rugby left in him too.

As for Godwin, I expect him to be back up to the other two and occasionally filling in here and there. If injuries strike he'll be in.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach993
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Apr 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45148_1265187924.jpg
No Pain No Gain:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45148.jpg

I am surprised at Diskin leaving Leeds but on the other hand it is a good signing for us, interesting to see the amount of quality players who have signed for us considering how poor we have been for the past few years not that I am complaining just what we need to stuff the opposition next season. k020.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach329No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I'm very pleased with this signing. Can see him being the starting hooker with L'estrange reverting to the job as impact bench hooker. Hood's comments in the T&A piece suggest all three (Godwin, Diskin, L'Estrange) will be staying which can only be a benefit.

The squad and team in general looks a lot more solid with strong competition for places. The thing I want to see a return to is us being a team that is extremely hard to beat. Last season there were far too many walk in tries and periods of lacklustre defending.

I think the squad at present is looking like it might deliver that. Players will be eager to impress their new coach and cement a starting spot.

The key is the halves now. If we get a couple of players that are great at unlocking defences we might have a great blend on our hands!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1337No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Sep 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/MINOTAUR.JPG
Crude and slow Whino, your attack was no better than that of a clumsy child.:Others/MINOTAUR.JPG

Quote: mat "injury cover for diskin/lestrange, maybe give him a go at loose forward? If he isnt happy with that then I expect we'll be seeing him leave. Always liked wagga but he isnt in the same league as diskin/l'estrange imo.'"

I agree with most of that, can't see Godwin being utilised at Loose though with Donaldson, Langley and possibly Addy in line for that position.

mat
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9553
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: JUDGE666 "I agree with most of that, can't see Godwin being utilised at Loose though with Donaldson, Langley and possibly Addy in line for that position.'"

don't want to see langley used a loose forward. he's much more effective in 2nd row imo. Agree about addy and donaldson long term, just dont think there quite ready physically to hold the spot down for a whole season yet. Think godwin or royston could offer us something a bit different there. We've certainly got plenty of options in terms of squad rotation this year which we havent had the benefit of for a few years. Nice problem for potter to have. icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4035
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jan 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30148_1289234681.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_30148.jpg

Quote: psychostring "I'm very pleased with this signing. Can see him being the starting hooker with L'estrange reverting to the job as impact bench hooker. Hood's comments in the T&A piece suggest all three (Godwin, Diskin, L'Estrange) will be staying which can only be a benefit.

The squad and team in general looks a lot more solid with strong competition for places. The thing I want to see a return to is us being a team that is extremely hard to beat. Last season there were far too many walk in tries and periods of lacklustre defending.

I think the squad at present is looking like it might deliver that. Players will be eager to impress their new coach and cement a starting spot.

The key is the halves now. If we get a couple of players that are great at unlocking defences we might have a great blend on our hands!'"

Spot on that.

I'm happy with this signing, onto the halves now please messers Hood and Potter...

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7200
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: zapperbull "I am surprised at Diskin leaving Leeds but on the other hand it is a good signing for us, interesting to see the amount of quality players who have signed for us considering how poor we have been for the past few years not that I am complaining just what we need to stuff the opposition next season. Who are your quality signings by the way?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach4006
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13607_1267993788.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_13607.jpg

Quote: chapylad "Who are your quality signings by the way?'"

While none of them are top drawer, superstar signings, it's difficult to argue that any of them don't strengthen the position they play.

As it stands (with another 2 or 3 still rumored to be coming in), I'm more than happy with the squad assembled so far for 2011

112 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
112 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.6025390625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
sir adrian m
13m
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
ChampagneSup
13m