FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Bradford Bulls > How Did You Become a Bulls (or Northern) Fan?
42 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17139No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

Quote: Bullseye "On the Errol Stock/Garth Budge connection Garth coached me when I was at Uni. A nice bloke.'"

The tigress worked with his wife. I am sure she mentioned he wasn't in that good health.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31835
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

He'll be getting on a bit now I suppose.

RankPostsTeam
International Star42No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023May 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

My late father came home one day in early 1972 (when I was 10) and told me he was becoming a Director of Bradford Northern. Oh yeah I thought, but a week or two later we were in the Director's Box at McLaren Field to watch a side containing a few legends (Barry Seabourne, David Redfearn, Eddie Tees etc) get turned over by Bramley 8-5. That was a major upset as Northern eventually finished second in the table and only just lost to St Helens in the Championship semi final.

I have plenty of memories from the 4 years the old feller was on the board but many more from after he'd quit. We did live next door to Carole and Garth Budge at Wyke in the seventies and I know Garth isn't in great health now. A nice bloke though and he also coached me at Dudley Hill for a time in the early 1980's.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2053
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28029_1671444168.jpg
Don't think i'm biased... ...i'm just very narrow minded!!!!!!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28029.jpg

I started going because my Grandparents and Auntie were season ticket holders. I think I got one free so my Dad started taking me 1990/91 season.

The first season I can really remember was 93 when we signed Paul Newlove. Used to stand at that time on the 3rd corner at Rooley Lane end of the ground. We stood with my Aunties friends which was great as they kept me warm with hot Bovril at half time!!!

Used to also go watch speedway on a Saturday night and would go down Sunday morning to help put the corners down for the afternoon Northern game. As an 8year old I loved it as I was the only kid and it meant I could walk pitchside. Don't think it would be allowed now with H&S laws.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2524
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Earl%20Sinclair.gif
Veni, Vidi, Spurius brutus detruncavi I came, I saw, I tore the thick b4st4rds limb from limb Bradford Bulls - the polished turds of SL since 2012:Black Backgrounds/Earl%20Sinclair.gif

Some long love affairs going on here, mines quite a lot shorter.

Lancashire born and raised, no Yorkshire blood in me but Bradford has always been my team, first match was the Grand final in 2002 when I was 13 (I think) when a Sean Long DG earned a win for Saints, then quite sporadic after that for a few years with games here and there, then the GF in 2005 was the next game I remember.

Since about 2008 I have been ever present, could be my bad luck we started to go down hill since then, best memory is the 22-20 win over wigan in 2010, missed some games here and there but ive always tried to make it.

RankPostsTeam
International Star418No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Errol Stock "Amazing BeechwoodBull! I have used Errol Stock as a sign on for the Totalrl.com/forums since 1995 and only one person on there ever knew of him (he asked if I was really him).
I also use it on Twitter - but on there it will never be picked up on.

So you are the first and only person who shares my memory to a tee (at least online). Errol Stock was my first ever true life hero, an excellent fullback who made an immediate impact on his arrival. When games were played with a smattering of snow on the pitch, both he and Garth Budge stood out a mile (sun tanned legs you see!). I think Garth Budge still watches most games - or at least when I saw him last at the back of the "new stand" a couple of years ago.

Some may class us as ancient - but as far as I am concerned - completely on the ball
Quite right Errol was a hero of his day, as was Garth Budge. As an aside we read today in the Brighouse echo that Connie Womersley, Harry's wife and Garth's mother in law has died aged 88. A nice lady and a nice family!

So my first game was in the 50s and it came about due to me and my mates being speedway fans also, we were part of a team of youngsters who moved the corners after the Rugby and as a payment we had free admission to both the Rugby and the speedway. My father took me to see Northern before then. He was a friend of Alan Edwards and a great Northern Supporter. You might say Northern and the Bulls are my passion and over the years I have had the privilege of knowing many of our past and present players, and backroom staff, the icon that often drove me to go the extra mile was of course Trevor Foster, who never took a backward step, and maintained that giving in was never an option. So isn't it great that we supporters didn't give in and we still have a good team to follow.

AJW
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1386
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021May 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
14426.gif
[img:b0x4g8gh]Http://trakt.tv/user/Bullsboy/widgets/watched/all-thin-fanart.jpg[/img:b0x4g8gh]:14426.gif

Growing up in the East Midlands, rugby meant Union and more pertinently it meant it was too muddy to play football.
I never took any interest in either code until I met some friends through going camping who were Bulls fanatics. This was in 2004. One afternoon in 2005 we were visiting them and they asked if we'd like to tag along to a match (Fev away in the cup). After about 15 minutes I was hooked. I went to pretty much every game that season including Old Trafford.

Season ticket holder for a few seasons until life got in the way but I still get to as many games as I can despite the 160 mile round trip. I'm looking forward to seeing a few new venues this year as well as hopefully seeing us get back to winning ways

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

Quote: AJW "... One afternoon in 2005 we were visiting them and they asked if we'd like to tag along to a match (Fev away in the cup). After about 15 minutes I was hooked. ..'"

I must say that watching your first game somewhere like Post Office Road must be truly mind-blowing, as you stand so close to the play, you can almost feel the hits, the players look huge, and you can hear the impacts and get a far better impression of the speed and especially the sheer physicality of the game.

I converted to the Bulls when Bradford Park Avenue were kicked out of the football league. Switching to the enemy was totally out of the question, so with a couple of mates we switched to full-time Northern fans, though I had been to plenty of games at odsal before, but that season we started going to away games and I think it was mainly the breathtaking impression that the game made on me at close quarters at places like Fev or Thrum Hall that got me hooked.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1323No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Always enjoyed the game on the BBC as a kid, but coming from a Southern football family, I never got around to choosing a team. Usually, my innate sense of supporting underdogs meant cheering for whoever was playing Wigan.

Moved to Bradford for university in 1993 and went to see my first game (Wigan in the fog) that year. Got to quite a few games during that time, moved to France, and then back and got to more.

I'm long gone from the area now and get to the odd match. Love and admire the whole sport (I never played, but did play union), but it's always been my second love, behind football.

I'm often jealous of all of your histories with the club and your immersion from early ages. I wish I had that affinity (it's so much more admirable than football), but I suppose the flip side is that the last few years haven't cut me as deep as most of you.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4035
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jan 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30148_1289234681.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_30148.jpg

Its always just been kinda what my family does, my great grandad went pre war, took my grandad. My grandad (who helped in a small way when the club reformed in the 60's and was in the world record Odsal crowd after walking in over a fence that had fallen down along with hundreds of others!) took my dad. My dad took me, apparently my first games were around 1986ish when I was 10, but I dont remember much of that other than spending the match days messing around on the grass banks (pretty sure I must have only got to go when the weather was good at that early age as I only remember sunny Odsal and dry grass from those early days!!)

I started going to actually watch the rugby (including rain/fog and snow) around 1990/1991, with 1992/1993 probably being my first full home season with the leeds and Halifax away games. Ironically it was when I went away to Uni in York in 94 that I realised what I missed and started going home and away with a season ticket from then on, travelling from Uni each week either home or away.

Now I dont live near Bradford and have a young family so getting to games is a lot harder, I still go with my dad and still get a season ticket each year (although not bought one yet this season) but generally lose money on it as I cant get to every home game. But my biggest regret of recent years is not getting to as many away games, I used to prefer the away trips, but now I have to pick and choose well in advance and last year only got to 2 away matches. Hoping to do more this year as there are some grounds I've not been to before.

Last season I took my two girls (7 and 9) to their first matches (at their request), they loved it, but not being in the area Im not sure how long they'll want to carry on going - but they did want to go to last weeks friendly game at Cas and are coming to the first home game of the season so we'll see, my family line of support from pre war might yet continue a little longer!

AJW
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1386
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021May 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
14426.gif
[img:b0x4g8gh]Http://trakt.tv/user/Bullsboy/widgets/watched/all-thin-fanart.jpg[/img:b0x4g8gh]:14426.gif

Quote: Ferocious Aardvark "I must say that watching your first game somewhere like Post Office Road must be truly mind-blowing, as you stand so close to the play, you can almost feel the hits, the players look huge, and you can hear the impacts and get a far better impression of the speed and especially the sheer physicality of the game.

'"

Exactly as you describe. I remember Stu Fielden having a great game and were behind the sticks for a lot of tries (we put 80+ past them IIRC). It was a great introduction to the Greatest Game

RankPostsTeam
International Star3534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

My dad started taking me when I was a young kid in the early 70s and been going ever since. I remember I was deemed too young to go to Wembley in 73, so my dad and brother went and I watched it on Grandstand. Keith Mumby and Dave Redfearn were always my heroes growing up in the 70s

I did exactly the same with my lad,started taking him when he was about 2, he obviously didn't know much what was going on but I felt the need to repeat what my dad did with me. My lad was born in 96, just as Bullmania took off so he had all the baby wear they sold in the shop, I can remember a baby grow he had " Born to be a Bull" on it,got that one wrong ha

Northern/Bulls has been the biggest love of my life (1st wife included)

RankPostsTeam
International Star543No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2023May 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

1967 Australia v Northern lost 7 3, sat with a group of mates at the top of the banking at the far end of the ground and thought wow. Enjoyed the independence of going age 10 or 11, including a weekday CC match with Trinity at Headingley (Odsal was snow bound) where a friend and I went from the city centre on a special bus with no parents. Could that happen now, probably not! Followed them through thick & thin, hope the good times of SL can return for youngest son who was just too late for trophy wins and grandsons now on the scene. Apart from family biggest passion, shared my love of Northern/Bulls all over Europe & North America on travels!

RankPostsTeam
International Star187No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Wheezy.gif
[i:13dzansg]Be careful what you wish for, one day you may get it![/i:13dzansg]:fonds noir/Wheezy.gif

Quote: Mirfieldbull "1967 Australia v Northern lost 7 3, sat with a group of mates at the top of the banking at the far end of the ground and thought wow. Enjoyed the independence of going age 10 or 11, including a weekday CC match with Trinity at Headingley (Odsal was snow bound) where a friend and I went from the city centre on a special bus with no parents. Could that happen now, probably not! Followed them through thick & thin, hope the good times of SL can return for youngest son who was just too late for trophy wins and grandsons now on the scene. Apart from family biggest passion, shared my love of Northern/Bulls all over Europe & North America on travels!'"

You're right about the 10 & 11 year olds not travelling away unaccompanied. I went on the train to see Northern play York about that age, beans and chips in Woolworths before the game and back home at bedtime.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach437No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2019Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The more he talked of his honour,the faster we counted our spoons.:

I was an " Avenue fan" through and through,but had been to a few games at Odsal around the reformation time,but once Avenue sold Kevin Hector to Derby in 1966,that was me GONE to Odsal and I never looked back.Earliest memories Lionel Williamson,Smales,Stockwell,George Ambrum,Berwyn Jones,Terry Price,Terry Clawson.Johnny Rae,Ken Roberts,Peter Goddard,The Fish and the VASTNESS of the Odsal Bowl walking in as a 12/13 year old and the noise of the crowd below as you walked round the top and rushing to the steps at the end of the game to give the Ref what for.
Great times.

42 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
42 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.60205078125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Cokey
14m
Rumours thread
Dunkirk Spir
17m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
19m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
just_browny
20m
Film game
Boss Hog
23m
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
Recent
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Douglas Blac
Recent
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
chapylad
Recent
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
Recent
Planning for next season
Jack Gaskell
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Shopping list for 2025
UllFC
1m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
1m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Exeter Rhino
2m
Film game
Boss Hog
2m
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
3m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
chapylad
3m
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
3m
Douglas Blac
3m
Man of Steel
MorePlaymake
3m
BORED The Band Name Game
Cokey
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
MorePlaymake
TODAY
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Douglas Blac
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
Chris71
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
karetaker
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
TODAY
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
Cokey
TODAY
Must do better
Wires71
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 3,015 80,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 Sat 5th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22