JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2014Sep 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

John Kear spoke in a very passionate way on boots and all about the way forward for the game. It actually made a great deal of sense. Clubs such as Halifax Leigh and Fev at the higher end of the Championship need a way forward and clubs at the bottom end of super league need to be lifted from complacency. I suppose what would need to come out of all this is a minimum standard for stadiums and attendances for aspiring clubs but we do need the game to leave this rut of meaningless games every season, unless you are Leeds of course, I notice Mr Hethrington did not see much wrong with the status quo. At least this would provide a level of promotion and relegation in a controlled fashion and to be fair the Cas chief exec said change was appropriate.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2931No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15252_1297730111.jpg
[color=#FF0000:dd3r80vu][b:dd3r80vu]I HATE ALL THE PIES[/b:dd3r80vu][/color:dd3r80vu]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15252.jpg

Quote: Loz "John Kear spoke in a very passionate way on boots and all about the way forward for the game. It actually made a great deal of sense. Clubs such as Halifax Leigh and Fev at the higher end of the Championship need a way forward and clubs at the bottom end of super league need to be lifted from complacency. I suppose what would need to come out of all this is a minimum standard for stadiums and attendances for aspiring clubs but we do need the game to leave this rut of meaningless games every season, unless you are Leeds of course, I notice Mr Hethrington did not see much wrong with the status quo. At least this would provide a level of promotion and relegation in a controlled fashion and to be fair the Cas chief exec said change was appropriate.'"

Crikey, I clicked on to your thread title thinking it was about the new (alleged) cladding for LP. icon_lol.gif

(no offence)

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2931No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15252_1297730111.jpg
[color=#FF0000:dd3r80vu][b:dd3r80vu]I HATE ALL THE PIES[/b:dd3r80vu][/color:dd3r80vu]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15252.jpg

Quote: Loz "John Kear spoke in a very passionate way on boots and all about the way forward for the game. It actually made a great deal of sense. Clubs such as Halifax Leigh and Fev at the higher end of the Championship need a way forward and clubs at the bottom end of super league need to be lifted from complacency. I suppose what would need to come out of all this is a minimum standard for stadiums and attendances for aspiring clubs but we do need the game to leave this rut of meaningless games every season, unless you are Leeds of course, I notice Mr Hethrington did not see much wrong with the status quo. At least this would provide a level of promotion and relegation in a controlled fashion and to be fair the Cas chief exec said change was appropriate.'"

Sorry Loz, I've just read on BBC Sport about the new structure proposals.

I think we will end up with one of these two:

Option 2 - A two-division Super League with each division comprising 10 teams

Option 3 - Two divisions of 12 in Super League, with teams playing each other once to provide 11 fixtures before splitting into three groups of eight in mid-season and then playing each other home and away to provide 14 more matches

although Option 3 seems overly complicated and convoluted.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach381No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2018Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10110.jpg
To be beaten is a setback - to give up is terminal:10110.jpg

At least we've a couple of years grace to get our act together before we face the threat of relegation.......

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman4958No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1649_1338292262.jpg
I have followed the LONDON CLUB since I was in my teensl even though born in St Helens and still live nearby and went to the first game at Fulham, also Big West Ham Supporter:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1649.jpg

Quote: saint at wire "

I think we will end up with one of these two

They are seem desperate ideas from a failed CEO of The RFL, why was he ever asked to complete a review of the future when he has governed the game over it's recent failures?

Some of his incompetent ideas seem to have been copied from the Scottish FA which threw one out on a unanimous vote, did Nigel work it all out on the back of a cigarette packet? that is how is seems.

When SL1 Clubs will get £1.8 Million approx from Sky monies how can teams from SL2 ever compete with the £180,000 they are expected to receive, it will be a case of up and down, with still promoted teams being involved in one sides games. It is the rich clubs that will benefit and these days they seem to be Wigan, Leeds, Warrington & Salford!

The game of RL needs someone Fresh to take over the running of the game, the current CEO is desperately out of his depth and should have stayed at Halifax! Sky TV this morning did not even mentioned the Challenge Cup matches last night or even today, but they found time to talk about Rugby Union! if they ever lose interest in the game we are in one complete mess.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8991
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47035_1386433761.gif
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47035.gif

I actually like the idea. I had the same concerns about teams competing however we were assuming some things.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8991
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47035_1386433761.gif
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47035.gif

Firstly the money, we have no idea of the split. But with only 12 not 14 teams in the SL, then if you assume a similar split of money at the moment, then that leaves 2 SL clubs worth of money to be split between the lower division clubs, this will boost their income. Also with 2 bigger teams relegated to SL2, that should provide a minor boost to crowds.

For those at the top 4 of SL2, they should also gain an increase in attendances given they are now playing for something. Then when the leagues merge and split again you will now have 4 SL clubs with their attendances to boost. Also with division 2 effectively being a promotion and relegation league there should be a boost to attendances anyway as there is something on the line, where as at the moment in SL the bottom 4 have nothing on the line. And the top 4 in the championship are playing to gain nothing at the end of the day other than sporting wins.

Also yesterday we learned that in this option 3 points are carried forwards. So those will less income in SL2 come the split get the advantage of points in the bag.

After 11 games, you can imagine a club at the top of SL2, will have 22 points and the club at the bottom of SL 1 will have 0 points. If that was the case, there are only 14 games left in which to cover the distance, that's 28 points. Not alot of wiggle room to catch up, but it would be a fair response for not being competitive in those first 11 games.

Also even though the leagues are not even, it does not matter as the outcome of all the 3 divisions will be by playoffs. So it now justifies a playoff, compared to the current situation where the playoffs seam an uneven response to a fair even set of rounds.

In the end the clubs will have to vote on it so it will not be down to Nigel Wood or the RFL. If the clubs want 12 and 12, one up and one down, then they can vote for it.

But because something is a little different and new it does not mean it will not work.

I think the option 3 satisfies a lot of issues in terms of RL.

It offers promotion and relegation, it offers more money to the lower division, it offers the maximum in terms of competitive games. For clubs who can pay the max salary cap, if things work out as they should, then the top 8 will be those teams and so those final 14 games should be more competitive, probably with a top 3 -5 playoff at the end.

There is also the marketing side of this, the first 11 games in SL1 and SL2 could be sold seperately to TV companies, then the division 1 and division 2 games could also be sold seperately.

Fans should get maximum value from each game, teams will have to be putting out their best as a slow start to the season will see your chances of staying in the league of your choice stopped.

I would also suggest that tied into this you can have a mid-season break for the CC. After the first 11 rounds, the leagues split, but also you throw in as many rounds of the CC as possible. Allowing teams who get knocked out a rest period and then relaunch the divisions afterwards, a bit like having 2 starts to the season.

I think there is a lot going for this idea and I can see the clubs voting for it.

Top clubs as the coaches get the most competitve league they can hope for and Chairmen get maximum gate receipts with big clubs playing each other for the final 14 games. Also they get 25 rounds so no loss of income round wise.

The 'Yo-Yo' clubs will vote for it as it will offer them something to play for and should help them boost their crowds. The Championship clubs will vote for it as it offers them more money, bigger crowds and a chance to play for promotion.

The RFL will vote for it as it offers them a chance to offer expansion clubs a way in, also if clubs 'yo-yo' it's not such a big deal as the next season they can get a chance to play similar clubs again.

The money side will be something to watch, but I see no reason if a Kokash wanted to buy Sheffield, this would make it easier for him to get Sheffield into the top flight in double quick time.

The only ones I can see who may vote against are those happy with the status quo, bottom clubs in championship and the likes of Leeds who get pretty much maximum crowds at present.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8991
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47035_1386433761.gif

Quote: bewareshadows "I actually like the idea. I had the same concerns about teams competing and the money split, however I was assuming things, being different to what we now know.'"

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1649_1338292262.jpg
I have followed the LONDON CLUB since I was in my teensl even though born in St Helens and still live nearby and went to the first game at Fulham, also Big West Ham Supporter:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1649.jpg

Quote: bewareshadows "I actually like the idea. I had the same concerns about teams competing however we were assuming some things.'"

Still not convinced it will make the game better and bring in big money and sponsorship, even more so after listening to the CEO on the red button after the game yesterday, as I said these ideas were floated by Scottish Football, why was Nigel Woods ever asked to complete a review of the game when he is part of the current failure, the problem is he is CEO and in discussions too many creep up to him and he tried to creep up to Jon Wilkin yesterday in the debate.

The game needs a Jon Wilkin or Robbie Hunter Paul to be in charge, someone who has played the game and has a modern approach to sport and RL in particular, the work Jon is doing with the players union may be good stead but we need someone now, the old brigade who have allowed RL to deteriorate sponsorship, media coverage, running of big games need to go NOW before any change is even taken one step further!

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner498No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Dec 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5221_1300299029.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5221.jpg

Quote: jaybs "Still not convinced it will make the game better and bring in big money and sponsorship, even more so after listening to the CEO on the red button after the game yesterday, as I said these ideas were floated by Scottish Football, why was Nigel Woods ever asked to complete a review of the game when he is part of the current failure, the problem is he is CEO and in discussions too many creep up to him and he tried to creep up to Jon Wilkin yesterday in the debate.

The game needs a Jon Wilkin or Robbie Hunter Paul to be in charge, someone who has played the game and has a modern approach to sport and RL in particular, the work Jon is doing with the players union may be good stead but we need someone now, the old brigade who have allowed RL to deteriorate sponsorship, media coverage, running of big games need to go NOW before any change is even taken one step further!'"

He wasn't it was Maurice Watkins that reviewed it and gave his recommendations, these proposals have come from that report.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2931No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15252_1297730111.jpg

Quote: bewareshadows "Firstly the money, we have no idea of the split. But with only 12 not 14 teams in the SL, then if you assume a similar split of money at the moment, then that leaves 2 SL clubs worth of money to be split between the lower division clubs, this will boost their income. Also with 2 bigger teams relegated to SL2, that should provide a minor boost to crowds.

For those at the top 4 of SL2, they should also gain an increase in attendances given they are now playing for something. Then when the leagues merge and split again you will now have 4 SL clubs with their attendances to boost. Also with division 2 effectively being a promotion and relegation league there should be a boost to attendances anyway as there is something on the line, where as at the moment in SL the bottom 4 have nothing on the line. And the top 4 in the championship are playing to gain nothing at the end of the day other than sporting wins.

Also yesterday we learned that in this option 3 points are carried forwards. So those will less income in SL2 come the split get the advantage of points in the bag.

After 11 games, you can imagine a club at the top of SL2, will have 22 points and the club at the bottom of SL 1 will have 0 points. If that was the case, there are only 14 games left in which to cover the distance, that's 28 points. Not alot of wiggle room to catch up, but it would be a fair response for not being competitive in those first 11 games.

Also even though the leagues are not even, it does not matter as the outcome of all the 3 divisions will be by playoffs. So it now justifies a playoff, compared to the current situation where the playoffs seam an uneven response to a fair even set of rounds.

In the end the clubs will have to vote on it so it will not be down to Nigel Wood or the RFL. If the clubs want 12 and 12, one up and one down, then they can vote for it.

But because something is a little different and new it does not mean it will not work.

I think the option 3 satisfies a lot of issues in terms of RL.

It offers promotion and relegation, it offers more money to the lower division, it offers the maximum in terms of competitive games. For clubs who can pay the max salary cap, if things work out as they should, then the top 8 will be those teams and so those final 14 games should be more competitive, probably with a top 3 -5 playoff at the end.

There is also the marketing side of this, the first 11 games in SL1 and SL2 could be sold seperately to TV companies, then the division 1 and division 2 games could also be sold seperately.

Fans should get maximum value from each game, teams will have to be putting out their best as a slow start to the season will see your chances of staying in the league of your choice stopped.

I would also suggest that tied into this you can have a mid-season break for the CC. After the first 11 rounds, the leagues split, but also you throw in as many rounds of the CC as possible. Allowing teams who get knocked out a rest period and then relaunch the divisions afterwards, a bit like having 2 starts to the season.

I think there is a lot going for this idea and I can see the clubs voting for it.

Top clubs as the coaches get the most competitve league they can hope for and Chairmen get maximum gate receipts with big clubs playing each other for the final 14 games. Also they get 25 rounds so no loss of income round wise.

The 'Yo-Yo' clubs will vote for it as it will offer them something to play for and should help them boost their crowds. The Championship clubs will vote for it as it offers them more money, bigger crowds and a chance to play for promotion.

The RFL will vote for it as it offers them a chance to offer expansion clubs a way in, also if clubs 'yo-yo' it's not such a big deal as the next season they can get a chance to play similar clubs again.

The money side will be something to watch, but I see no reason if a Kokash wanted to buy Sheffield, this would make it easier for him to get Sheffield into the top flight in double quick time.

The only ones I can see who may vote against are those happy with the status quo, bottom clubs in championship and the likes of Leeds who get pretty much maximum crowds at present.'"

A well thought out post.

It makes me wonder why the RFL renewed the Sky deal so early with only a small improvement in the cash, as these plans require a new format of funding.

Current SL Teams that fail to make the split i.e. the bottom 4, and don't get into the top 12 the following season will find it impossible to stay full time you only need a re-building period where results are poor.
Perhaps it could work if the new format starts when the sky deal ends and then we could look to Premier as well as Sky, and perhaps the BBC for the lower divisions.

Option 2 won't work without extra dosh either as the two teams which go to "SL2" having to share their Sky money with the rest is a non-starter.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1649_1338292262.jpg

Quote: newton warrior "He wasn't it was Maurice Watkins that reviewed it and gave his recommendations, these proposals have come from that report.'"

Maurice Watkins did the governance report which was completed in July 2012, but structure etc just completed has been very much in the hands of Nigel Woods.

Whoever did the report the first conclusion should have been it is time for Change and someone with fresh ideas and competence to take over the running of The RFL.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2681No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
58216_1342011610.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_58216.jpg

Loz
RankPostsTeam
International Star280No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2014Sep 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I imagine the concern of many is the way the governing body is controlled at the highest levels by individuals, who did not inspire confidence at their respective clubs. Ralph Rimmer formerly Huddersfield is basically an enforcer for Nigel Wood ex Halifax. The framing for the future forced clubs to improve stadium facilities which would have been a good initiative if it was consistent, however it seems only to have been foisted upon the Lancashire clubs. Little improvement has been made to Yorkshire grounds and that strategy now seems to have fallen away. Influential owners with significant investment seem to be driven into a corner by the majority of clubs who still lurch from crisis to crisis but understand that safety is in numbers and do not want change. That is why some form of promotion and relegation is vital even if it does require defined criteria to be met. The top eight especially is reward for failure and does not and will not work. The Championship play-off cannot see Leigh play Halifax or Fev every season to win a cup and ten grand but then same as you are next year boys.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. (Winston Churchill):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40218.jpg

Quote: Albion "www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/sport/wolves/wolvesnews/10414657.Smith__concerned__about_rugby_league_s_leadership/'"

I've just stuck that on the VT as I thought it was worth discussing across the board although knowing the kind of comments that tend to arise on RL Fans I might be indulging in some wishful thinking!

33 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint
33 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.7333984375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Leigh it is
moto748
27m
Film game
karetaker
36m